Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

WBA ..pre match thread.

1 minute ago, Solihullfox said:

Whoever plays at wing back, right or left, is going to be nullified by opposition IF we continue to pass backwards and sideways at slow pace. The wing backs are left to operate with no space as the whole outfield opponents are back in defensive positions and therefore a man closing down the wing channels.

You are right that unless we play more quick and incisive passes, quickly and with purpose, then we will continue to see this largely laboured build up to the attacking third

Nail on the head I think, we like to recycle the ball and play slowly. Not only does this nullify our attacks, but at least 10 times a game we lose possession on the edge of our box and put ourself under serious pressure.

• Like 2

Back to 4-4–2 for this one please absolutely no need to play 5 at the back at home to these , utilise Ricardos and castagnes strengths. Ricardo hasn’t been the same player without having someone in front of him so he can overlap, I’d go:

Kasper 

riccy          Jonny               Cags            Timmy

marc          Youri.                Wilf            Madds 

Kelechi      Vards 

39 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Wonder if Ricardo will ever regain his previous form? 

Not in our current I don’t think no. Brendans got a nice headache having 3 high quality cb that he dosent want to lose any, so tries accommodating all 3. Unfortunately that’s changing our patterns of play and ricardo and castagne are having to practice playing different games. I think you see Ricardo at his best with a winger in front of him playing give and goes, playing quick passes in tight areas 

Edited by Clarkey123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

West Brom are on a bit of a surge. This won't be easy, I hope they show the right attitude tonight, with Chelsea, Liverpool West Ham and Spurs now within touching distance. Coyb.

55 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

This is a different WBA in the last couple of weeks, they have a bit of confidence, wind in their sails and look vibrant going forward, they'll either look to continue that or be more cautious and try to dig in for a 0-0. Early goal important, predict a hard earned 2-0.

They simply have to win ..... that’s a hell of a motivation but also a lot of pressure 

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Nail on the head I think, we like to recycle the ball and play slowly. Not only does this nullify our attacks, but at least 10 times a game we lose possession on the edge of our box and put ourself under serious pressure.

Main issue is 7/11 are primarily defenders. Schmeichel, Castagne, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Thomas, Ndidi. It's easier for the opposition with us having so few attacking threats. We don't need so many defenders in games like this.

• Like 2

Ricardo and Castagne have both been found limited in the wing back roles. Say it every week but they need help. Castagne has done well for Belgium because they also play with a wider forward and you saw in the second half on Sunday when Vardy played more out wide that Castagne was better for it. Ricardo works best in a partnership, immediately improves when Albrighton is on the pitch at West Ham..

Hopefully with Maddison in the free role rather than Perez he can link play with the wing backs on both sides better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

To be fair most of the time we have faced Allardyce sides he's been at teams in better nick than ours bar when he was at Sunderland and now at West Brom. 

His Bolton side were better equipped than ours, he turned Everton round when we were nosediving under Puel and his West Ham team was decent. There's possibly a few others I've missed. Was he at Palace when we we were horrid in our 2nd season under Ranieri?

We will win tonight, this team knows this opportunity we have.

Yeh fair point. It's more the last 2 games for both which have made me a bit nervous. But... we're the far better side, and have to show it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Main issue is 7/11 are primarily defenders. Schmeichel, Castagne, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Thomas, Ndidi. It's easier for the opposition with us having so few attacking threats. We don't need so many defenders in games like this.

Certainly we play too deep. All for the possession game but not entirely sure we have the players to pull it off on the 18 yr line of our box. Wilf works so much better when he wins it higher up too, just like the last 25 v West Ham 

34 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Back to 4-4–2 for this one please absolutely no need to play 5 at the back at home to these , utilise Ricardos and castagnes strengths. Ricardo hasn’t been the same player without having someone in front of him so he can overlap, I’d go:

Kasper 

riccy          Jonny               Cags            Timmy

marc          Youri.                Wilf            Madds 

Kelechi      Vards 

Team is already out there it is 3 at the back.

4 hours ago, IsItMuzzy said:

This is such a myth. Any manager worth his salt knows the best way to beat us is to sit back with a deep defensive block and hope to grab a goal on the counter or from a set piece. We struggle to break these teams down and are usually susceptible to a counter (although hopefully less so with Fofana, Evans and Cags in a back 3). If anything their need for a result will push them to start the game more defensively, rather than be picked off early by us. 

I dont mean theyre going to go all out gung ho for 90 minutes. Im sure they will try to be nice and tight and counter with pace but a draw is completely pointless to them. So if its 0-0 with 20 minutes to go id expect them to commit more players and go for the win as appose to holding out for the draw.

Edited by South Shire Fox

52 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Madders out wide is not an option!!!

It should be written in a tablet of stone.

I don’t remember us creating anything else from out on the left recently from our wide players? In fact the only one I can recall is Vardy having to get out there for the goal last week. At least maddison can link play and bring castagne into the game from out there