Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

WBA ..pre match thread.

2 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Not in our current I don’t think no. Brendans got a nice headache having 3 high quality cb that he dosent want to lose any, so tries accommodating all 3. Unfortunately that’s changing our patterns of play and ricardo and castagne are having to practice playing different games. I think you see Ricardo at his best with a winger in front of him playing give and goes, playing quick passes in tight areas 

So to accommodate one extra centre half we effectively sacrifice two fullbacks by playing them out of position and potentially the movement of an extra midfielder. It partly explains the ponderous sideways and backwards first halves though.

• Like 1

They’ve had a few indifferent results lately beating Chelski 5-2 Southampton 3-0 we just need to keep our shape dig in and not just turn up expecting to win, A few reports are saying Brendan may bench Vardy tonight give him a rest but he could pop up and get his goal drought  turned around ! 
At work tonight so hoping to catch the game but I’ll be cheering on anyway hoping for a 3-0 win for the Foxes Vardy to score🙏🙏

3atb allows two up top which makes Iheanacho better; it makes us more secure defensively; mostly better at defending set pieces with an extra tall player in there; and also I think having Tielemans deeper is better for us too.

But good teams will deal with it by simply closing us down in the middle and forcing us out wide. Southampton did it really well in the first half - if you press us high and narrow enough (easy in a 4-4-2) to a point where our only open pass is the wing-back, you leave Ricardo/Castagne looking forwards to no one. When we played 4-2-3-1 the ball pulled wide to Justin/Castagne and they can immediately look up and have Barnes/Albrighton with their back to goal trying to spin a full-back - instead we now have wing-backs who are either pumping balls into the channel or turning backwards again.

It can work, if you play risky vertical balls through to your number 10 and he can get on the turn - Perez is usually better at this than he showed on Sunday, and it's Maddison's best asset. And we know Vardy will chase those balls that do end up in the channels all afternoon, and that's where the winner came from against Southampton. But for me it's not a system that will create chances and goals from lots of different areas, hence Iheanacho has had a huge share of the goals since we changed shape. If we had Barnes back, we could keep a 3 man defence and go back to a 3-4-3 as we had at the start of the season, with more of an inside forward like Praet or Maddison on the opposite flank. Until then, I think we are going to going to continue to not be very easy on the eye.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

3atb allows two up top which makes Iheanacho better; it makes us more secure defensively; mostly better at defending set pieces with an extra tall player in there; and also I think having Tielemans deeper is better for us too.

But good teams will deal with it by simply closing us down in the middle and forcing us out wide. Southampton did it really well in the first half - if you press us high and narrow enough (easy in a 4-4-2) to a point where our only open pass is the wing-back, you leave Ricardo/Castagne looking forwards to no one. When we played 4-2-3-1 the ball pulled wide to Justin/Castagne and they can immediately look up and have Barnes/Albrighton with their back to goal trying to spin a full-back - instead we now have wing-backs who are either pumping balls into the channel or turning backwards again.

It can work, if you play risky vertical balls through to your number 10 and he can get on the turn - Perez is usually better at this than he showed on Sunday, and it's Maddison's best asset. And we know Vardy will chase those balls that do end up in the channels all afternoon, and that's where the winner came from against Southampton. But for me it's not a system that will create chances and goals from lots of different areas, hence Iheanacho has had a huge share of the goals since we changed shape. If we had Barnes back, we could keep a 3 man defence and go back to a 3-4-3 as we had at the start of the season, with more of an inside forward like Praet or Maddison on the opposite flank. Until then, I think we are going to going to continue to not be very easy on the eye.

Barnes form really picked up in December when we had Ndidi back and we went to 4-2-3-1

The one thing we know before kick off is they will be aggressive because they don't have the talent and that's what worries me a little.

We need to be mentally prepared for a battle and move the ball quickly to keep them chasing. Then I suspect they will wilt and we can take full control.

But it's all about our attitude, if we're at it then we will be fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

The one thing we know before kick off is they will be aggressive because they don't have the talent and that's what worries me a little.

We need to be mentally prepared for a battle and move the ball quickly to keep them chasing. Then I suspect they will wilt and we can take full control.

But it's all about our attitude, if we're at it then we will be fine.

Soyuncu being in helps us massively

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

I don’t remember us creating anything else from out on the left recently from our wide players? In fact the only one I can recall is Vardy having to get out there for the goal last week. At least maddison can link play and bring castagne into the game from out there 

...Maddison has a tendency to drift centrally!!!

He is always looking to be around the #10 spot as is his natural instinct. He has been played out there before and does not get into the game and looks woeful. 

We could play a diamond which fits in with what you are looking for, it is just a waste of Maddison’s time and our setup to play him on the wing.

cant we put thomas in at Leftback..push castagne further forwards into that barnes left wing role and play 4 at the back

ricci fofana soy thomas

Ndidi 

marc maddison tielmans castagne

vardy (or nacho)

just my twopenneth

• Sad 1

Oh yeah! There's a game of football today! I'd genuinely forgotten amidst a the absolute bile we've had to swallow as fans over the past four days.

No love lost on the pitch today, but I do kinda hope the Baggies pull off the escape (after today). It's a good away day and we've already lost Sheff Utd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

If they can't beat these with everyone fit bar Barnes they need stuffing with a ragmans trumpet, Alladyce revival or not. If you can't beat second from bottom West Brom, what chance Barcelona 🤣😅

You make a powerful argument.  But.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Oh yeah! There's a game of football today! I'd genuinely forgotten amidst a the absolute bile we've had to swallow as fans over the past four days.

No love lost on the pitch today, but I do kinda hope the Baggies pull off the escape (after today). It's a good away day and we've already lost Sheff Utd.I

:thumbup:

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

No love lost on the pitch today, but I do kinda hope the Baggies pull off the escape (after today). It's a good away day and we've already lost Sheff Utd.

I would love it if WBA escaped the drop. Not forgotten that night at WHL.