Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

While i understand the anger and agree with it... where was it in 1990 when the premier league first screwed the other clubs over?

Although you have a point, I'd say the real horrors of this are the closed shop cartel. The Premier League maintained the honourable principles of sporting integrity where there is always relegation and promotion to allow teams to be treated on merit.

• Like 4

Just now, Rusko187 said:

Whilst these are corporations, they are also institutions and the very foundations that some cities thrive on.

Government could remove any rights for them to host games, I read yesterday there's legislations for councils to remove naming rights to clubs... you wouldn't want it to come to these restrictions but I believe our Governments could make life next to impossible for these clubs until it get's a point where the only real option they have is to formulate new teams in the mould of the ones they tried to steal... and who would care about the Merseyside Red Sox? Not me, it would become another mickey mouse cup like the International Champions Cup and will be dead on it's feet in years.

The people backing this proposal are monsters, the actions you mention would become mired in legal challenges that take years to be heard and reach a conclusion. I have no doubt there is way more to this proposal then we are hearing, the marketing, the online presence, the finances, its all well established, this is not an overnight move, it has been long planned and I suspect that in some form it will actually occur.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

The people backing this proposal are monsters, the actions you mention would become mired in legal challenges that take years to be heard and reach a conclusion. I have no doubt there is way more to this proposal then we are hearing, the marketing, the online presence, the finances, its all well established, this is not an overnight move, it has been long planned and I suspect that in some form it will actually occur.

I fear you're right, I have hope there is a means to stop this but it requires a major reaction not just from fans, but also from participants.

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure how the Government can save this, the genie is out the bottle, and the costs involved are ridiculous, let alone it is questionable if such an act reflects the will of the country at large.

We have a government of f**cking useless c**ts - I’d rather they kept their filthy noses out. Everything they touch turns to sh*t.

Football needs to sort out its own mess.

54 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

The first guy is standing outside our stadium and says 'I can't be with my club on this one'. 

But I bet he was lapping up 2016... 

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't spoken out yet, I want Brendan turning up at tomorrow's presser dressed as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

1000 likes and he'll do it... :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

While i understand the anger and agree with it... where was it in 1990 when the premier league first screwed the other clubs over?

The PL didn't make themselves a closed shop with guaranteed entry and stay once you're there. If you're shit, you got relegated. If you're good enough, you get promoted. That doesn't happen with the ESL. 

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

There was a bit of anger about, but, they never wanted to make it a closed shop.

Imagine in 1992 if Manchester United, Leeds, Norwich, Blackburn, QPR and Sheff Wed (the top 6 then). Had been given a guarantee of no relegation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxondale said:

We have a government of f**cking useless c**ts - I’d rather they kept their filthy noses out. Everything they touch turns to sh*t.

Football needs to sort out its own mess.

lol I certainly was not suggesting the Government do solve it! Just reacting to others suggesting we do

We can pan free market all we like, but the competition organisers allowed this to happen, and I agree football fixes this or it does not get fixed

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure how the Government can save this, the genie is out the bottle, and the costs involved are ridiculous, let alone it is questionable if such an act reflects the will of the country at large.

Prevent them from using their names because at the end of the day, that's all they've got. What i think that is more important though is for the current governing bodies to issue a statement saying what the actual consequences would be, if any, i.e clubs and players of those clubs would not be allowed in any other competition. Obviously at the moment the players and managers have been ordered to keep their mouths shut but once the full implications are known, then i'd expect players to start saying things.

Maybe, this would not be such a bad thing for football after all from a fans perspective, fans have been complaining for years about too much money in the game, but it's these 6 clubs that have been the main cause of the problems, let them go and become squillionaires and maybe the rest of us can get back to a level playing field. 

Edited by yorkie1999

28 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Let's be realistic too Brendan is not going to slag off a potential future employer. 

Imagine if he does. Imagine if he goes on some ostrich style rant and absolutely slams all of "the big six". 

Would go down as a Leicester legend before a ball is kicked in the FA cup final. 

He won't, obviously, but it'd be great. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

The recent attempts at rule changes such as changing the number of subs etc all required 14 votes, all media I have read says 14 votes, the PL website says 14 votes, but another section of a PL law says 15 votes. A bit confusing. But the media consensus is 14 votes, and recent rule changes definitely required 14 votes to pass. That was the whole point of project big picture wasn’t it? To remove one vote per club and give the power within the PL to the greedy six... it now appears very lucky that the other 14 didn’t buy it.

It was driven by United and Liverpool, shock horror. 

As you rightly say, the PL rules do indeed state both figures! 

However as I mentioned previously this is probably due to the fact any club who breaks the rules is not allowed to vote, therefore 14 votes would be required. 

Since in this case 6 clubs are involved (who could not vote for themselves) then maybe it is the majority vote of the 14 clubs that would count i.e 11 votes, to meet approval.

Everton's CEO message. I expect the same from Susan Whelan and/or Top at some point. 

Dear Evertonians,

I feel it is only right that, as CEO of your football club, I write to you directly following the plans made public over the weekend for a European Super League.

As a proud custodian of Everton, I, along with my fellow board members, understand the responsibility that has been entrusted upon us to maintain the traditions of your Club and of the wider game.

Everton Football Club was a founder member of the Football League and a founder member of the Premier League.

Throughout our history the Club has always strived to move both Everton and the game forward. But we have always done so within the parameters of the pyramid structure which maintains the principles of open competition and sporting merit.

Sadly, the plans that have been made public by 12 clubs from across Europe - and six in our own Premier League - do not maintain those principles.

At this time of national crisis - in the face of a global pandemic and in a defining period for football - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the thoughts of our game and its supporters uppermost in our minds.

Disenfranchising supporters across the game and undermining the very structure of the pyramid that underpins the game we love is, quite simply, wrong.

The response from voices across the game and beyond over the last 48 hours is understandable – and those voices should be listened to.

Rest assured, I, along with my fellow board members, will do everything possible to ensure our position on these proposals is made in the strongest possible terms - and the voice of Evertonians is heard, loud and clear.

It remains my hope that by working collaboratively, football will find the right answer for its future.

NSNO.

Denise

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Like "Manchester United" you mean? In what world is it in the Government power to do so?

Local councils or whatever apparently give the rights to use city/Town names. Can take it back too. 

Or at least that was the rumour floating round yesterday. 

Today's Premier League meeting is pivitol. If, by whatever means, those clubs are given a clear choice of Premier league OR super league, and they opt to leave, then football will recover. There may be a short term hit from TV income etc. But Manchester is too big a city to not have domestic football, Liverpool/London will have enough demand for it. Supporters of those clubs will still want to see their team live playing other clubs within this country. New phoenix clubs will form, within a decade they could conceivably work their way back, and that's enough time to build/find a stadium big enough. FC United have a headstart in this respect. 

The alternative is that the leagues appease them, they continue in a league with funding that will ensure that the league is weighted in their favour, and those clubs will between them be running a league that other clubs aspire to join. That will ensure that ultimately the other clubs will have to concede the power to them for controlling domestic football, as they showed a few months back is their intention. Once that happens, you can be sure that they will then start to hoover up all the domestic revenue for themselves, similar to how its been in Spain for years, there will also be a reduction in the size of the Premier league to reduce the amount of domestic games to allow them to increase their euro fixtures. Plus I'd expect them to be selling premier league 'home' games to the highest bidder amongst cities around the world. 

The Premier league/fa need to hold there nerve. There's a chance hid to rid English football of some of its worst parasites in one go, and cleanse the whole lot up, or they can relent and then it will be ruined permanently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Local councils or whatever apparently give the rights to use city/Town names. Can take it back too. 

Or at least that was the rumour floating round yesterday. 

Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Manchester has been vocally against the Super league. He needs to step up and at least threaten this.