Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

The Old Firm?

The Old Firm?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Say if the "big 6" were to leave the Premier League, would you invite Celtic and Rangers to join?

• Yes
    • No
    • On the fence

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

That’s a fair point actually. We could possibly go back to the hooligan days of the 80s with fan clashes.

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

Couple of local away games though? :ph34r: 

Greater Manchester Police would be glad their teams are poncing about in Madrid and Milan, rather than them having to welcome back the Orcs.

Screenshot_20210419-194121_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 14:00, Mehrez said:

Would be very hypocritical to do that as it would ruin Scottish football in the same way the charlatans are trying to do with English football 

I assume the rest of the SP is dependent on the TV money generated by Rangers and Celtic, so yeah.

A British Premier League with Rangers and Celtic - obviously Rangers and Celtic are just too big now for the Scottish League as one of them wins it every year. Yes the other Scottish clubs would miss the revenue that the two big clubs provide but the league would be much more of a competition where any club could win. Rangers and Celtic dream about the riches in the English Premier League and would jump at the chance to join. Clubs are now always looking for new revenue . The Scottish League financially would take a hit but there would be more competition between the remaining clubs.

On 19/04/2021 at 12:02, Greg2607 said:

the ONLY way you could do it, would be to integrate their entire football pyramid into ours. 

much like the Belgium and dutch leagues are looking at. 

but the respective Football Associations aren't keen as that could impact the ability to still have home nations compete. 

the home nations are all shit anyway. time has long passed, we should integrate all the british leagues into one pyramid, and enter international competitions as great britain. 

2 minutes ago, Beliall said:

the home nations are all shit anyway. time has long passed, we should integrate all the british leagues into one pyramid, and enter international competitions as great britain. 

So just add Bale & Robertson to the England team then?

Not sure I like the idea at all, I can only assume that Wales, Scotland, & Northern Irish fans would hate this idea?

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2021 at 13:25, MPH said:

It makes no sense to me that Swansea and  Cardiff are allowed into the English football system but Celtic and rangers are not..

Swansea and Cardiff were established in 1921 and 1908 - there was no national Welsh league until 1992. The lack of a national league was largely because the ability to travel in Wales was very poor for years. Railways traditionally run E to W / W to E, so it made far more sense for the Welsh clubs to come into the English pyramid. 

By contrast Scotland had a league formed by 1890. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Swansea and Cardiff were established in 1921 and 1908 - there was no national Welsh league until 1992. 

Scotland is a country in its own right that joined with England to create the Union of Great Britain.

Wales is a principality that was conquered by the English, 400 years before the Union of Great Britain.

15 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

A British Premier League with Rangers and Celtic - obviously Rangers and Celtic are just too big now for the Scottish League as one of them wins it every year. Yes the other Scottish clubs would miss the revenue that the two big clubs provide but the league would be much more of a competition where any club could win. Rangers and Celtic dream about the riches in the English Premier League and would jump at the chance to join. Clubs are now always looking for new revenue . The Scottish League financially would take a hit but there would be more competition between the remaining clubs.

I've said this before but more even competition would put livelihoods at risk. The game would go part-time overnight as clubs wouldn't generate enough money to remain professional. No visits from 8000 Old Firm fans three times a season, no sponsorship, no TV deals. There are already clubs in the top flight who struggle to get 2000 people through the gate and pay their players £500 per week.

23 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I assume the rest of the SP is dependent on the TV money generated by Rangers and Celtic, so yeah.

Celtic and Rangers would be obligated to pay (every year) a sum equal to the existing Scottish TV payments to all other SPL Clubs, plus a sum equal to the lost gate receipts of the lost Old Firm fixtures. This way the SPL and below are not crucified financially. 

Out of the UKP100M+ the two Clubs would receive in the EPL, they would still be quids in. 

The Premier League could then hold a draw of the the 6 former European Scumbag League Member Clubs and the first two out are replaced by the Old Firm.  The two drawn Clubs to play in the Championship.  Sorted.

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

Celtic and Rangers would be obligated to pay (every year) a sum equal to the existing Scottish TV payments to all other SPL Clubs, plus a sum equal to the lost gate receipts of the lost Old Firm fixtures. This way the SPL and below are not crucified financially. 

Out of the UKP100M+ the two Clubs would receive in the EPL, they would still be quids in. 

The Premier League could then hold a draw of the the 6 former European Scumbag League Member Clubs and the first two out are replaced by the Old Firm.  The two drawn Clubs to play in the Championship.  Sorted.

Financially that sounds fair but it feels to me like it would open a Pandora's box and make it easier for these clubs and clubs from other leages to try they're ESL type funny business again in the future.

I'm happy to stay in Scotland despite the fact it hamstrings us financially, it feels morally the correct position.

Dead against it personally.

Would however be in favour of some kind of British Cup; I’ve always found it weird that the only time we play Scottish clubs is either when they nick out manager and offer a friendly in return or we accidentally win the Premier League and reluctantly get invited to an International Champions Cup pre-season friendly tournament. 

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Would however be in favour of some kind of British Cup; I’ve always found it weird that the only time we play Scottish clubs is either when they nick out manager and offer a friendly in return or we accidentally win the Premier League and reluctantly get invited to an International Champions Cup pre-season friendly tournament. 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/national-league-sides-join-irn-bru-cup

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

League cup should be turned into a British cup or something and that's about it. 

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'd support this, merge of the league cup to form a British cup to involve Scottish Prem and maybe scottish champ teams? Would revitalize a competition, with finals being played at either Wembley or Hampden Park.

• Like 2

If they join from level 10 at the non-league system and work their way up like Wimbledon did? That's fine. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Just join the PL over all the Football League teams who've earnt their current position over about 130 years? Of course not, that's ludicrous.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

If they join from level 10 at the non-league system and work their way up like Wimbledon did? That's fine. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Just join the PL over all the Football League teams who've earnt their current position over about 130 years? Of course not, that's ludicrous.

Exactly, minute you let one team jump the pyramid, precidence means anyone could argue it to happen. 

I wouldn't want this to happen but if it were, firstly I'd expect them to start off right at the bottom of the English football pyramid and have to work their way up. Secondly, to protect the integrity of the Scottish league I'd want to see the lowest placed side of the two Scottish teams have to play an end of season play off against the Champions of the SPL with the winner playing the following season in the English pyramid.