Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

The Old Firm?

The Old Firm?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Say if the "big 6" were to leave the Premier League, would you invite Celtic and Rangers to join?

• Yes
    • No
    • On the fence

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

A British Premier League with Rangers and Celtic - obviously Rangers and Celtic are just too big now for the Scottish League as one of them wins it every year. Yes the other Scottish clubs would miss the revenue that the two big clubs provide but the league would be much more of a competition where any club could win. Rangers and Celtic dream about the riches in the English Premier League and would jump at the chance to join. Clubs are now always looking for new revenue . The Scottish League finanncially would take a hit but there would be more competition between the remaining clubs.

What competition would there be if the remaining clubs all go bankrupt due to lack of revenue

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’d also love to see the Home Championships return in some form. 

And Quizball please.  Home or Away questions - magic stuff.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Swansea and Cardiff were established in 1921 and 1908 - there was no national Welsh league until 1992. The lack of a national league was largely because the ability to travel in Wales was very poor for years. Railways traditionally run E to W / W to E, so it made far more sense for the Welsh clubs to come into the English pyramid. 

By contrast Scotland had a league formed by 1890. 

Well, there’s great established modes of transport now so they can bugger then :D

Edited by MPH

59 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd support this, merge of the league cup to form a British cup to involve Scottish Prem and maybe scottish champ teams? Would revitalize a competition, with finals being played at either Wembley or Hampden Park.

It is a nice idea but good luck getting managers on board with traipsing from Southampton (for example) to Inverness or Dingwall on a Tuesday night.

36 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It is a nice idea but good luck getting managers on board with traipsing from Southampton (for example) to Inverness or Dingwall on a Tuesday night.

Logistically would be a nightmare for travel reasons as you say, especially as many would need to coach rather than fly etc. 

If they ever joined, whilst the fairest thing to all other English clubs is to make them start at the very bottom of the pyramid, there would be massive policing concerns. Even joining division 2 could be ridiculously/prohibitively expensive to police for the English home sides (relatively speaking). As it would never be fair to let them leapfrog anyone this makes the whole proposition untenable imo, plus as had been stated it's basically equivalent to the Super League controversy for the remaining Scottish clubs. It's a no from me.

Celtic & Rangers wouldn't join at League 2 level. If I'm honest they shouldn't have to either, they would add to the Premier League in my opinion.

If they were to come in, I'd scrap the Championship play offs that season, and have them play off against 17th from Prem and 3rd from Championship, winners go into PL the following season.

Obviously if the PL dropped to 18 teams (Something I also personally agree with), that 17th would change to 16th.

The foitballing authorities in Scotland would scream blue murder at the integrity of its competition being undermined.

They are also terrified that the Scotland national team will lose recognition.

Look at their approach to the Team GB Olympic side - they really didn't want Scotland players to take part.

As such, I think there is little chance of a British Cup and any league restructuring suggestions which might damage the Scottish League Pyramid would be the subject of a lot of protest and representations to UEFA and FIFA.

I suspect that the talk about Rangers and Celtic joining the English leagues, which has come up many times before, is just talk.

Hmm. So it’s not cool for the big 6 to leave for ‘greener’ pastures, but it is cool for the EPL to then poach Celtic and Rangers?  Riiight. 

Something seems a little off there if I’m honest. 

If we could somehow amalgamate ALL of the Scottish teams with the English leagues that would seem much fairer, if a little unwieldy and largely impossible. 

• Like 3

On 19/04/2021 at 20:00, lcfcsnow said:

Change the League cup so it includes all league teams in the UK as its just become a lite version of the FA Cup.

That’s a good idea. Play the early rounds in our respective leagues, with the later rounds mixing the two. Quite practical I would have thought, and would give the cup a quite unique selling point.

• Thanks 1

I really don't feel that either club would have much interest I joining league 2 & missing European football for at least three years. As was pointed out to me the other day, the SFA cannot survive without the Glasgow clubs so allowing them to move would spell disaster.