Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxxed

How to fix the rotten state of football?

Reading the posts this past week has been educational. Obviously most want rid of the big six.

But the structure of football (and so the money) put them in their positions of power. How would you fix that?

I'd

• Distribute the TV money throughout the English game (so it's not just concentrated in the Premier League)
  • Only the Champions compete in the Champions League (to give the cups meaning and prevent the concentration of money and power)
  • Reinstate the Cup Winners' Cup (to give the cups more meaning)

(All would require solidarity between fans, leagues and countries to stave off the lure of international TV money and keep the game as a social good.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Reading the posts this past week has been educational. Obviously most want rid of the big six.

But the structure of football (and so the money) put them in their positions of power. How would you fix that?

I'd

• Distribute the TV money throughout the English game (so it's not just concentrated in the Premier League)
  • Only the Champions compete in the Champions League (to give the cups meaning and prevent the concentration of money and power)

(All would require solidarity between fans, leagues and countries to stave off the lure of international TV money and keep the game as a social good.)

...that whole system migrated to what we have now.....!!!

The same questions that were asked along the way will undoubtedly illicit the same answers. All we will be doing is resetting the structure and we will be back in this situation in the long term.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

I'd

Hmm that's how it used to be. Sadly it's impossible to uncrack an egg.

• Like 2

I'd

I don’t want rid of the big six per se. If they do start a franchise league they should be kicked out of the premier league, yes. But ideally this idea dies on its arse, the teams involved are sanctioned but continue in their respective leagues. Their history and importance to their community is no less than ours or any other side for that matter. It’s just that their fans have been shafted by their own clubs, I feel sorry for them tbh, it’s clear they are being walked all over. The same cannot be said for us, at this club.

Ideally, the Champions league reforms that just got voted through will be torn up, and the part which allows clubs in based purely on historic performance should be binned. But that won’t happen.

50+1 ownership rule should be in place across Europe’s top leagues to stop this happening again, but that would likely require government force and maybe even funding, so I’m not sure it’s very likely. 

• Like 1

As above, more fan input/ownership into clubs similar to Germany.

There's far too much money involved in the game. The PL and all the owners. I wish I could see it how it was when there wasn't billionaire owners and there wasn't the PL with all this money. The best club, at the given time, has money to buy hence why the transfer record kept getting broken but I'd love to see more of a level playing field. The PL is right to go against this super league idea but lets not pretend they haven't done bad too, they've created this top 6 thing where these clubs have more money than the rest.

• Like 1

On top of that, in order to improve the financial situation of football, there should be player and manager salary caps, and limits on agents fees. A bit harder to do with transfer fees, but they’re also a problem. All these things can improve financial viability for these behemoth commercial clubs. 

I personally like the idea that each club could sell a pass to view the content of its own games, and do away with having to pay multiple subscriptions. Better for fans and clubs with more fans will be able to earn vast sums from this. Will severely reduce illegal streaming if priced correctly too. I’m reluctant to pay £100/month or whatever to sky/bt/Amazon, but if a reasonable fee went direct to Leicester? Sign me up. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...such a great idea...this would surely preclude millionaires buying up and investing heavily into clubs!!!

The only problem is these owners have no heart or love for the clubs or community that serves the club.

There is at least one exception to that rule though, Leicester City Football Club! :scarf:

Not every move the club has made has unanimously gone down with fans, and we've questioned them plenty down the years. But even with 50+1 ownership of LCFC, I think 95% of decisions made by our current owners would be backed. They are an excellent example of good owners, who attend many games and seem to be in touch with the fans. I've personally seen Top get into the first class carriage on the Train at Leicester station after a match, even stopping to say hello to some of us fans that were there at the time. Parish at Palace seems reasonable, the Leeds owner after a rough start seems to get their fanbase too.

So I think it is possible and should be the type of model that we aim for throughout football. Really the "Fit and proper persons" test of potential owners has completely failed in the Premier League given the actions of the six wannabe breakaway clubs. 

We can only be thankful that we hit the jackpot with such fantastic owners. I think it said it all how on Sunday as this news was developing, it was the plucky upstarts of Leicester City reaching the FA Cup for the first time in over 30 years with ex-factory worker Jamie Vardy at 34 years of age running the opposition ragged. Top was watching the game at 2:30 AM in Thailand and phoned Brendan and the team immediately afterwards, probably reacting to that result in much the same way we did on here. We aren't perfect by any means, but we are a very good example of what can be achieved. Players, fans and owners all dream of lifting that famous trophy and what it stands for!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

50+1 in the English game.

I'm down. A game for the fans needs to be owned by the fans. I'm not sure the fans would always make the correct decision, and the madness of crowds is very real, but at least fans would care about the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

Salary cap, per player, based on each division.
Agents take 10%, max, paid by the player - from wages. 
Ticket price max £30 at home, £20 away. 
No fees or "club membership" just to buy tickets. 
Each club must use at least two players from their academy, for a minimum of 540 minutes per league season - each. (equates to 6 games but can be spread out, so club could theoretically just bring them on for last 15 in every game)

I'd like to see it but the problem is that the PL is owned by the 20 teams and they make the rules. 

1. Restructure the Premier League to include the current Scottish Premiership teams.
  2. Split the now 32-team league into a north and south division.
  3. The top 6 teams from the n/s divisions enter a knockout with balls drawn by Rylan Clark-Neal.
  4. Knockout games are played in historically rich footballing countries such as Qatar, Oman, South Africa and Palau.
  5. Final is played at Wembley – a celebrity singer will perform a rendition of Jerusalem and kick the first ball of the match.
  6. Adverts during games – mainly boring bits like when players are passing the ball around.
  7. Instead of relegation, the teams that finish bottom of the n/s divisions have to record a novelty single with Jools Holland. 
  8. Cap foreign players at three per team (Irish players count as two).
  9. Introduce a SuperDraft system.
  10. Celebrity referees.
  11. VAR calls decided by The Banker from 'Deal Or No Deal', conversations between The Banker and celebrity referees are mic'd.
  12. Man of the match decided by online polls with no voting cap.
  13. Gender-neutral (they/them) cheerleaders.
  14. Only scousers are allowed to commentate on matches.
  15. Instead of player names, companies sponsor individual players. Players will be referred to by their sponsor throughout the match. ("Durex dribbles it round Johnson & Johnson")
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Play the FA Cup semi finals at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. NOT Wembley.

Scrap FA Cup replays, all rounds. Financially compensate lower league teams on gate revenues.

Scrap the League Cup.

Semi finals in Wales? How about Old Trafford and Villa Park like it used to be. Also throw in the Emirates and White Hart Lane now if two Southern clubs got to the semi's.

Scrapping FA Cup replays denies lower league teams their chance to play at a bigger/better ground, possibly, and everything that goes with that including the fans only chance to get to said ground.

Scrap the League Cup? A cup we've won multiple times. No. This is, again, a competition that gives fans and players hope that one day they could win it. In recent years we've seen Bradford City reach the final. It's nice for clubs like that, if not all clubs, to focus on something else besides their leagues (and FA Cup of course which is usually won by a bigger club). Why would you wanna withdraw a trophy from the game!?

• Like 1

Just now, Kitchandro said:

Every single authority - the owners, FIFA, UEFA, The FA, The Football League & Sky Sports - have failed to protect the sport and have essentially been milking it dry to the detriment of those who actually enjoy football. That is what has led us to this moment. For me, it's been a slow death, this hasn't come out of the blue at all and there was so much even before the other day that I had grown to hate about the sport.

People talk about the Champions League and Premier League as if they are the anti-super league. What nonsense, they were both stepping stones towards it.

So the best thing the millions of football fans can do is abandon all of those groups and take control of the whole sport by starting things from scratch, with only our memories and principles behind it. In reality, if we don't do that, almost none of the great ideas on this thread will come to fruition.

Completely agree. Pretty much the point I was trying to make lol I just couldn't find the words.

• Like 1