Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxxed

How to fix the rotten state of football?

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Who cares. Most of these owners don't put much of their own money in anyway, look at the Glazers at Man Utd, the club was bought and is run on debt/credit.

EPL clubs don't need these american owners and the likes they generate more money as it is than any other league in the world through TV deals and the most expensive ticketing in Europe.

I think we can safely say our owners have put quite a bit of money into our club. 

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think we can safely say our owners have put quite a bit of money into our club. 

I wasn't talking about Leicester, hence "American owners". I was talking about over the piece, the EPL wouldn't be any worse off, in fact it'd probably better off without the swaithes of foreign owners who are only interested in the bottom line and the commercial appeal of the league.

Like any conversation of such there are always outliers to that, of which King Power are undoubtedly one . For what it's worht anyway they seem hell bent on doing things the right way and have Leicester working as a self-sustainable club and not financially doping them up to the eyeballs with dodgy sponsorship deals and the likes.

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I wasn't talking about Leicester, hence "American owners". I was talking about over the piece, the EPL wouldn't be any worse off, in fact it'd probably better off without the swaithes of foreign owners who are only interested in the bottom line and the commercial appeal of the league.

Like any conversation of such there are always outliers to that, of which King Power are undoubtedly one . For what it's worht anyway they seem hell bent on doing things the right way and have Leicester working as a self-sustainable club and not financially doping them up to the eyeballs with dodgy sponsorship deals and the likes.

The argument is still the same. King Power wouldn't put their money into the club so some grandstanding knob head with no experience of business can have the last word on how the club is run. 

Just now, Webbo said:

The argument is still the same. King Power wouldn't put their money into the club so some grandstanding knob head with no experience of business can have the last word on how the club is run. 

But for the greater good of football it needs to change.  For every King Power there are a number of FSG & Glazers looking to take advantage of the power of the Premier League. It has to be brought in so football can be saved from itself.  Fans can then vote the most appealing candidates every year to give a voice to the running of a club.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That's completely not how the 50+1 model works. It's about fan representation, not grandstanding or havng the final say.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

Here is the best solution that still monetises the game for the clubs involved....

The Premier League set up a streaming platform, that they own and run themselves.  they can broadcast ALL of the games in a similar way to how amazon did it last year.  (they are all shown internationally anyway)  Each and every club in the premier league can then have a "season ticket pass" - Let's say this costs £5 per game for every Leicester game...

pass the majority of the revenue raised for each season pass over to the clubs. (with a percentage still going to the premier league to distribute to the football pyramid)  The bigger clubs then get a bigger slice of the pie, but it also gives the smaller clubs an incentive to increase their fan base AND they get properly rewarded for any success or growth in the club. 

It also gives access to the global fanbase for a given club.  Fans would get to see every single game for the club they support. 

Make it cheaper than an actual season ticket for attending matches (let's be honest, the majority of people that support a club can't get access to a season ticket anyway, or don't have the time / ability to get to the games) 

Who loses in that scenario?

Yes, the broadcasters.  But that's not our responsibility. 

The bigger clubs feel fairly rewarded. The smaller clubs operate in a way where they are running the business based on the size of revenue they can generate and fans get better access to the games.

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It feels like you have become part of the problem Webbo, we have had a taste of success, a good owner, and you just dont want to let it go., even if it fixes the sport.

However I do agree fan ownership wont be all its merited as, we would be making decisions to take out expensive loans to get the latest craze to sign for our club.  A compromise would be that the day to day running of a club is in the hands of an investor such as king power, but any decision making regarding things like football politics, fans would have a veto.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

It feels like you have become part of the problem Webbo, we have had a taste of success, a good owner, and you just dont want to let it go., even if it fixes the sport.

However I do agree fan ownership wont be all its merited as, we would be making decisions to take out expensive loans to get the latest craze to sign for our club.  A compromise would be that the day to day running of a club is in the hands of an investor such as king power, but any decision making regarding things like football politics, fans would have a veto.

What problem? We're top 4 and in the cup final. 6 clubs have tried to break away and have fallen flat on their faces. 

We're all hypocrites. How many people on here condemning greed were the ones who wanted us to forget the cup and concentrate on qualifying for the champions league? 

None of this outrage costs the outragee a penny but it makes them feel good about themselves. If they got their way and it goes tits up they can blame Uefa, VAR or Rupert Murdoch or somebody else. It's all a load of nonsense. 

I just dont recognise those 6 clubs as competitors anymore.  It is what it is.  If they properly punished I will though.

But I also now have a belief football needs reform.  This ESL nonsense showed us how silly things have got and people forgetting the roots of the game.

I am not a glory supporter.

Edited by Chrysalis

1. The first thing that needs to be sorted out is Agents Fees, The fees bear no relevance to the work done. Theses need to be capped by the Government. I'd also make players responsible for their own Fees instead of them being       part of the Transfer. Which means Players don't care how much agents charge, But if the had to settle their  own fees then things would change quickly.

2. Salary Caps is another area that would help, Though again the Government would need to act here. At the minute you cannot stop someone earnig any amount as it's legally a restraint of Trade.

But if the Gov classified Football as a unique industry then they could set Wage Caps etc for the overall good of the whole Football Community. 

3. again I'd make a percentage of every Transfer fee go into a Gov controlled Fund to help towards ground improvements etc for the lower professional leagues. 

4. I'd also set up a Gov dept or office to oversee the game with the power to investigate all areas of a Club on a regular basis.

5. Asset stripping should be made illegal. Owners should not be allowed take out more than they put in with interest.

There's a few more but that' enough to be going on with.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Sounds fair to me. I want Top to decide how to run the club. But, yeah, I want fans to decide the direction of English football.

Quite against wage caps generally but it's time. Everyone has a baseline and can then spend 20/30% of revenue on top of that maybe? Means that the bigger clubs are still given that protection and allows financial performance to be rewarded. Would also lead to people owning clubs for the right reasons assuming this was done alongside a more even revenue split in terms of tv money etc. 

Still possible to make money out of football clubs but reduces the chance of owners going mental for the big prizes and leaving their clubs in ruin.

Plenty of flaws in this mind you but it's a flexible way of controlling the money in the game.

Ultimately all this means nothing without an independent regulator. Crazy football doesn't have one.

20 hours ago, ScrumpyJack said:
  1. Restructure the Premier League to include the current Scottish Premiership teams.
  2. Split the now 32-team league into a north and south division.
  3. The top 6 teams from the n/s divisions enter a knockout with balls drawn by Rylan Clark-Neal.
  4. Knockout games are played in historically rich footballing countries such as Qatar, Oman, South Africa and Palau.
  5. Final is played at Wembley – a celebrity singer will perform a rendition of Jerusalem and kick the first ball of the match.
  6. Adverts during games – mainly boring bits like when players are passing the ball around.
  7. Instead of relegation, the teams that finish bottom of the n/s divisions have to record a novelty single with Jools Holland. 
  8. Cap foreign players at three per team (Irish players count as two).
  9. Introduce a SuperDraft system.
  10. Celebrity referees.
  11. VAR calls decided by The Banker from 'Deal Or No Deal', conversations between The Banker and celebrity referees are mic'd.
  12. Man of the match decided by online polls with no voting cap.
  13. Gender-neutral (they/them) cheerleaders.
  14. Only scousers are allowed to commentate on matches.
  15. Instead of player names, companies sponsor individual players. Players will be referred to by their sponsor throughout the match. ("Durex dribbles it round Johnson & Johnson")

This. All of this.

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Quite against wage caps generally but it's time. Everyone has a baseline and can then spend 20/30% of revenue on top of that maybe? Means that the bigger clubs are still given that protection and allows financial performance to be rewarded. Would also lead to people owning clubs for the right reasons assuming this was done alongside a more even revenue split in terms of tv money etc. 

Still possible to make money out of football clubs but reduces the chance of owners going mental for the big prizes and leaving their clubs in ruin.

Plenty of flaws in this mind you but it's a flexible way of controlling the money in the game.

Ultimately all this means nothing without an independent regulator. Crazy football doesn't have one.

My initial instinct is a regulator. But wasn't that the FA's job? And the club owners decided to decimate it by introducing the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

My initial instinct is a regulator. But wasn't that the FA's job? And the club owners decided to decimate it by introducing the Premier League.

Sort of but it's job was to run the league so it wasn't independent. That's the key. ESL was ridiculous but as has been said UEFA, FIFA, PL etc are all self serving and until you say to them that they can keep control but somebody else is coming in to oversee and rubber stamp things, nothing will change.

Every big industry has an independent regulator so makes no sense to me. Then again, this is football!

17 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Sort of but it's job was to run the league so it wasn't independent. That's the key. ESL was ridiculous but as has been said UEFA, FIFA, PL etc are all self serving and until you say to them that they can keep control but somebody else is coming in to oversee and rubber stamp things, nothing will change.

Every big industry has an independent regulator so makes no sense to me. Then again, this is football!

The regulator would need to be responsible to the fans somehow. Else I suspect it would be corrupted. Seems easier to give the fans a veto in a club's long-term footballing decisions.

45 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought Real Madrid and Barcelona were supporter owned clubs.

They are yes. Where these fall down IMO is they allow 'Presidents' a term of 6 years. This is a hell of a long time in which damage can be done before the next opportunity to turf them out by way of the members meetings.

The biggest issue for me is the condensed wealth of the champions league and the absolute undermining of the Europa League.

I don't think we can go back to the European Cup just being champions and the 3 European competitions.

So rejig the whole thing and just have a single giant European knock out competition. Cup winners enter at the same level as league positions, depending on numbers league winners could get seeding, but ultimately every round has jeopardy, you don't get the same teams playing each other in the boring group stages. There are no dead rubbers I would even have 1 leg ties in the early rounds. Every round the winner gets the same money regardless of country. 

The problem is UEFA seem to just want more games and not better games. There will still be one sided games, but there is a greater chance of an upset. I know that goes against what UEFA want which is a quarter final line up containing 8 from Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Dortmund, Milan, Juventus, Inter, PSG, any of the greedy 6. But for fans it is so much more Interesting to have jeopardy in the early rounds. I have no interest in the CL group stages, even if there is an upset the big clubs can always claw it back.

The Spanish clubs are a powerful argument against the 50+1 model.

Who voted in the cretins who have nearly bankrupted them? The fan-owners. What were the platforms they ran on? In large part, “I will sign top players (often specific players) and lead us to glory”.  Fans don’t want to hear about the specifics of running a financially responsible business and they sure as hell won’t vote for it. They’ll vote for deficit spending the same as in political elections.

Think of the mania in transfer threads ... or just the emotional, manic to depressed thinking that goes with being Joe Supporter ... and tell me he should pick who calls the shots.

BTW, I’m running for Susan Whelan’s job. I’m going to hold the line on ST prices, sign Edouard, Ings and Grealish, keep Youri here for the rest of his career, and swap the Kop and family stand.  Piece of cake.  Vote for me!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The Spanish clubs are a powerful argument against the 50+1 model.

Who voted in the cretins who have nearly bankrupted them? The fan-owners. What were the platforms they ran on? In large part, “I will sign top players (often specific players) and lead us to glory”.  Fans don’t want to hear about the specifics of running a financially responsible business and they sure as hell won’t vote for it. They’ll vote for deficit spending the same as in political elections.

Think of the mania in transfer threads ... or just the emotional, manic to depressed thinking that goes with being Joe Supporter ... and tell me he should pick who calls the shots.

BTW, I’m running for Susan Whelan’s job. I’m going to hold the line on ST prices, sign Edouard, Ings and Grealish, keep Youri here for the rest of his career, and swap the Kop and family stand.  Piece of cake.  Vote for me!!

I'm pretty sold on the idea the day-to-day running on the club should be by the owners.

The competitive league format, however, should be in the hands of the fans. Give them a veto.

• Like 2

The maximum revenue is for epl contracts with broadcasters with all other games on a pay per view basis.  Money is split fairly evenly as before a payment for facilities to home clubs. 

FFP needs to be lowered (freeze it for 10 years) with real teeth and mo disguises support.

A tariff of the revenues will set up a fund... any clubs going into receivership will be bought out by the fund and given to a supporters trust.

No credit between clubs (this just inflates transfer fees and causes problems if clubs go bust).

A regulation body that is not the fa

Edited by foxinsocks