Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

But he should when we need a goal especially the last ten minutes. What's to lose.

We'd be virtually home and dried if Klopp stopped Alisson from going forward for the Corner.

Getting results is what it's all about. The how doesn't matter.

You're right , no points for style in football .Ask Atletico Madrid.

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Great shout on Little. He was my first manager as a Leicester fan so I thought what he did was basically what we should be doing. 

When you consider the season we went up. Forest (who finished 2nd) were effectively a Premier League squad made even stronger by adding Collymore. Derby were benefiting from early 90s sugar daddy and should’ve done a lot better and Palace, like Forest had a lot of Premier league talent (Solako, Armstrong, Shaw, Martyn etc. All stayed up), he did a fantastic job. 

Different era, different aims but a very good job for us.

Little did a decent job alright but his defection to Villa soured his reign.

It worked out for us as MON pushed it that bit further.

Mad to think that someone like Bryan Roy joined Forest in 94. You'd have been fairly envious of that compared to what we had.

3 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

It worked out for us as MON pushed it that bit further.

Mad to think that someone like Bryan Roy joined Forest in 94. You'd have been fairly envious of that compared to what we had.

Can totally relate to this, I grew up in a similar era where Rangers almost signed Ronaldo and were spending more money than anyone in world football!, who'd have thought a mere 20 years later they would cease to exist :)

• Like 1

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

who'd have thought a mere 20 years later they would cease to exist

Probably anyone with the brains to realise spending that sort of money in Scottish football wasn't sustainable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Amongst the fans it certainly did - vociferous at the time, although McGhee to Wolves was worse. I shared a few pints with Kevin MacDonald once via a mutual friend and was asking him about his city career, the move to Liverpool and pointedly his brief tenure as caretaker manager after Little's departure to Villa and he was apparently very highly regarded by the board, players and all the backroom staff. 

20 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Amongst the fans it certainly did - vociferous at the time, although McGhee to Wolves was worse. I shared a few pints with Kevin MacDonald once via a mutual friend and was asking him about his city career, the move to Liverpool and pointedly his brief tenure as caretaker manager after Little's departure to Villa and he was apparently very highly regarded by the board, players and all the backroom staff. 

McGhee is a complete **** of a man.

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We live in an era where everything and everyone has to be compared and 'would you take this scenario over that scenario' etc.

Little

MON

Adams

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

They've all had to deal with big challenges and all deserve huge credit in their own ways over the past 30 years.

Yes, quite right, they absolutely do. I don't think there can be many football supporters that have the ramparts of emotions like we have over the years, but we wouldn't change is for the world. 

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We live in an era where everything and everyone has to be compared and 'would you take this scenario over that scenario' etc.

Little

MON

Adams

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

They've all had to deal with big challenges and all deserve huge credit in their own ways over the past 30 years.

I would question Adams in that list. Not that he didn't do a good job under tough circumstances but because some of the decisions he made were entirely brilliant. 

Other than that...that's the list isn't it? 

15 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

McGhee is a complete **** of a man.

He reneged on his contract at Reading to come here but at least instigated the cessation of the Little longball and got us playing some decent passing football to be fair. Having done so he immediately ****ed off in the most underhand way to the supposed sleeping giant in the Black Country, enticed by "the golden tit" Jack Hayward and his supposed bountiful pot of gold. He also plundered Iwan and shafted him too.  Ultimately his tenure at Wolves and managerial positions spanning three decades have amounted to the square root of **** all. Inglorious and ignominious career. 

Just now, Line-X said:

He reneged on his contract at Reading to come here but at least instigated the cessation of the Little longball and got us playing some decent passing football to be fair. Having done so he immediately ****ed off in the most underhand way to the supposed sleeping giant in the Black Country, enticed by "the golden tit" Jack Hayward and his supposed bountiful pot of gold. He also plundered Iwan and shafted him too.  Ultimately his tenure at Wolves and managerial positions spanning three decades have amounted to the square root of **** all. Inglorious and ignominious career. 

I've had the unpleasurable experience of being in his company a few times.

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Arrogant, pompous a-hole who goes on as if he's a manager in the same vein as Guardiola.

What were the circumstances of his company? 

Just now, Line-X said:

What were the circumstances of his company? 

I played lower league level in Scotland for a few years so encountered him playing his Motherwell and Aberdeen sides in the cup then another time he was at a table next to me in a restaurant.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Of course we’ve surpassed it but that wasn’t the argument, it was the managers.

We’ve surpassed it because we have billionaire owners and top class players who could get in any team in the world. Back then, despite how good some of our players were, you never had Arsenal or Man Utd knocking at the door.

I loved Heskey and Elliot but Heskey wasn’t as good as Vardy and Elliot was too slow and probably got the very best of his ability being at a mid range club. Flowers was in the twilight of his career and Guppy was decent but nothing more I feel.

To the other paragraph, yes they all became world greats AFTER that year, but again that was in reply to your initial post that Ranieri has to be too based on resources which is clearly not true.

He had unreal resources but hadn’t been recognised yet but have proven to be regardless of Ranieri. Listen I love Ranieri for what happened, but not a chance did he have less resources than ONeil.

As someone else said, I hate comparing eras because things change so much , however I think it’s fair to say the squad we have now is better(relative to the era) than the team of 96-2000.

Comparing the finances of today with an era when Alan Shearer was a world record signing at 15 million isn't the best way to compare the two managers in my opinion but I'll try.

Ranieri won the Premier League with Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Okazaki and a relatively unknown Mahrez, Kante, and Vardy. The most expensive of those signings was Okazaki at about 8 million I think it was. That was hardly splashing the cash in 2015 football was it? Probably equivalent to something like 800 grand in the O'Neill era. I can't even believe I'm debating against O'Neill at this point, I love the man. But what Ranieri achieved with the resources he had available will always be greater than O'Neill's achievements with us. I can't believe it's even open for debate to be honest.

And I just can't get my head around how little you thought of the likes of Heskey, Guppy, Flowers and Elliott. They were the best players in THAT SQUAD, along with Izzet and Lennon. And they were all very good Premier League players for us.

• Like 1

Done a great job overall and especially with the injuries this season but I think the stubbornness we saw today is why he can't yet be considered an 'elite' manager whatever that is. I'd have been tempted to change it before half time but why it takes until 60 mins to get Iheanacho on for Maddison/Perez is beyond me. Needs to be more decisive.

• Like 2

Just now, dmayne7 said:

Done a great job overall and especially with the injuries this season but I think the stubbornness we saw today is why he can't yet be considered an 'elite' manager whatever that is. I'd have been tempted to change it before half time but why it takes until 60 mins to get Iheanacho on for Maddison/Perez is beyond me. Needs to be more decisive.

I feel like it has happened quite a few times this season where we have seen that we clearly need to change something at half time, we carry on as we are and concede straight away in the 2nd half

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Should of started with Praet or brought him on for Perez at half time. It was clear we were getting overrun in midfield.