Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

The problem with Rodgers is that due to his style of play and conservatism, he is letting good attacking players go wasted a bit. I welcome his cultivation of Barnes (he is to me still the one with the most potential in this squad), but he is not perfect and he is too focussed on his favourites to the detriment of others like Praet and Nachos.

He commented recently that he cannot start with 6 attacking players as a justification of benching Nachos: 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-explains-kelechi-iheanacho-5916926

But he dodged the real question. Why start Maddison when Nachos is clearly a better choice currently? This reinforces that in his mind he is not even thinking of dropping Maddison or any other “attacking” players as he just assumed this must mean dropping a defensive player. Also, who are the 5 attacking players he was talking about here? Vardy (OK), Maddison (OK), Barnes (OK), Tielemans (maybe but he sits deep?), Albrighton (again, he is almost a defender a lot of the times these days). The rest are defenders first and foremost.

Man City plays with attackers all over the pitch. I wish we can be a bit more adventurous and be able to get out of own half a bit more if we actually field more “attacking” players on the pitch who can pass forward a bit more. 

So Maddison is undroppable…

9 hours ago, filbertway said:

Haha I think im in a minority mate so I think the fanbase is alright.

Honestly the guy bores the hell out of me, he's the 5th highest paid manager in the league and has a prime Youri Tielemans at his disposal. As well as the coming of age of Barnes, so I think hitting 60-65 points is no major achievement.

We shithoused a cup final win after a really impressive campaign where we won every game we were favourites in. Which was refreshing to see.

Id love to see him doing all that with a midfield 2 of wilf and mendy haha.

Hes certainly not underachieved and again, I dont think hes a bad manager. I just find him and his football utterly boring and predictable.

If you have found the football in 2021 exciting, then fair play man. You're a better man than me

What I want to know is though, if he bores you that much has it always been that way under him? 2021 turned pretty turgid and we tend to all agree that without Barnes and Maddison and possibly James Justin it was inevitable given we had no alternatives for left wing, no other decent ACM and we don't have a left wing back good enough to play that flank on their own. Thomas is a good full back but not a wing back.

But under Rodgers if you measure across his entire tenure and especially up to Feb 2021 we have been one of the highest scorers in the Prem not to mention various other successes. You say hes had a prime Tielemans and Barnes at his disposal so that's par for the course but considering Tielemans had quite a poor 2019/20 and Barnes was and possibly is still very much a work in progress I think you're being somewhat unfair. What it does show though for the majority of this is just how good Jamie Vardy has been under Rodgers. It's not really that much of a surprise given what Vardy's achieved here but we've been one of the highest scorers with very inconsistent players and from Feb 19 to Feb 21 Vardy scored something daft like 50 goals.

Is this boredom recent or has it always been there? If its the latter then I've absolutely no tolerance of that and you're an arsehole. If it's the former then I can sort if understand a bit, last season was pragmatic at times when it didn't need to be but then we were fighting 4 competitions with the worst injury list of any club in the top half and thst shouldn't be ignored. We also had an unreal record vs the supposed big 6 which is something everyone criticised Rodgers for prior to last season. Not only did we beat every one of them at least once, we scored a lot of goals vs them in the process too.

When you say we won every game we were favourites, what do you mean by that? I'm confused. Also you say we shit housed an FA Cup final win as if that's something we should be ashamed of. Not many teams beat Chelsea under Tuchel going toe to toe with them and this was a Leicester team on its arse. We'd just lost 4-2 at home to Newcastle, would you be happier if we had lost 4-3 instead? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

The problem with Rodgers is that due to his style of play and conservatism, he is letting good attacking players go wasted a bit. I welcome his cultivation of Barnes (he is to me still the one with the most potential in this squad), but he is not perfect and he is too focussed on his favourites to the detriment of others like Praet and Nachos.

He commented recently that he cannot start with 6 attacking players as a justification of benching Nachos: 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-explains-kelechi-iheanacho-5916926

But he dodged the real question. Why start Maddison when Nachos is clearly a better choice currently? This reinforces that in his mind he is not even thinking of dropping Maddison or any other “attacking” players as he just assumed this must mean dropping a defensive player. Also, who are the 5 attacking players he was talking about here? Vardy (OK), Maddison (OK), Barnes (OK), Tielemans (maybe but he sits deep?), Albrighton (again, he is almost a defender a lot of the times these days). The rest are defenders first and foremost.

Man City plays with attackers all over the pitch. I wish we can be a bit more adventurous and be able to get out of own half a bit more if we actually field more “attacking” players on the pitch who can pass forward a bit more. 

He was quoted only a few days ago saying underperforming players have to be careful as he's many players waiting in the wings. The 2 players he namechecked were Barnes and Maddison. He's dropped them both before, I think Maddison is one more game away from being dropped.

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Some of you lot are proper herberts. Maybe calling for BR out is the new 'sitting on the M25' or 'getting upset about whether someone else has had a jab or not' or insisting 'I'm just not like other guys/girls'.

We get it. You want attention. You're a muppet. On you go.

I really wish I could upvote this +10. Even though its my post.

9 hours ago, filbertway said:

Its a tough one, because we've never had one of the top 6 teams in the country before lol

Rodgers first year in charge I loved how we played. We were absolutely superb, high tempo, high press. That was probably the best I've ever seen a Leicester team play

I've only just read this, ignore parts of my recent reply to you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What I want to know is though, if he bores you that much has it always been that way under him? 2021 turned pretty turgid and we tend to all agree that without Barnes and Maddison and possibly James Justin it was inevitable given we had no alternatives for left wing, no other decent ACM and we don't have a left wing back good enough to play that flank on their own. Thomas is a good full back but not a wing back.

But under Rodgers if you measure across his entire tenure and especially up to Feb 2021 we have been one of the highest scorers in the Prem not to mention various other successes. You say hes had a prime Tielemans and Barnes at his disposal so that's par for the course but considering Tielemans had quite a poor 2019/20 and Barnes was and possibly is still very much a work in progress I think you're being somewhat unfair. What it does show though for the majority of this is just how good Jamie Vardy has been under Rodgers. It's not really that much of a surprise given what Vardy's achieved here but we've been one of the highest scorers with very inconsistent players and from Feb 19 to Feb 21 Vardy scored something daft like 50 goals.

Is this boredom recent or has it always been there? If its the latter then I've absolutely no tolerance of that and you're an arsehole. If it's the former then I can sort if understand a bit, last season was pragmatic at times when it didn't need to be but then we were fighting 4 competitions with the worst injury list of any club in the top half and thst shouldn't be ignored. We also had an unreal record vs the supposed big 6 which is something everyone criticised Rodgers for prior to last season. Not only did we beat every one of them at least once, we scored a lot of goals vs them in the process too.

When you say we won every game we were favourites, what do you mean by that? I'm confused. Also you say we shit housed an FA Cup final win as if that's something we should be ashamed of. Not many teams beat Chelsea under Tuchel going toe to toe with them and this was a Leicester team on its arse. We'd just lost 4-2 at home to Newcastle, would you be happier if we had lost 4-3 instead? 

So to answer your first 3 paragraphs, I've basically said the same to another chap before. That first year under Rodgers was the best I've ever seen a Leicester team play and I was probably the most annoying person around for telling people they HAD to watch us lol

It's 2021, there's been a mentality shift from him, which as you say, I think was initially born out of the injuries we picked up. It seems to have stuck to him though and he seems to adopt a very safety first approach to games which I just find incredibly tiresome, it's why I can't get behind Gareth Southgate's football either. It's painful to watch talented players being shackled for me. 

I think upto the final we were the favourites in every single game, which is what I mean by that. There's no other way we could have beat that Chelsea team, they were a team on a mission under Tuchel last season. There's no shame in that, but it wasn't a tactical mastermind. Kasper had a very good game and they had a couple of moments where they were cm from scoring (Azpi header i think and Chillwells goal). Then of course Youri has scored one of the best cup final goals you'll ever see with our only shot on target.

No other manager in my lifetime has been in position where they have a squad capable of finishing in the top 6 and a board that is encouraging them to try and win silverware. I feel like people are massive over-exaggerating the achievement. I It was a good achievement, especially considering we beat 2 teams that also finished in the top 4. The way people go on though, you'd think he took a championship team that had never won an FA Cup game before and pulled off an unbelievable miracle. It felt great to win it, a massive relief that we had finally managed to do it. I honestly celebrated that FA Cup win more than the title win and it was magic being able to watch it with my dad.

Back to the style of play... we're essentially back to full strength now, minus Justin and Wes, so the next few months will probably provide a perfect chance to see the kind of football he wants to play when he has his options available.

As I repeatedly keep saying though, he's doing a good job and what I'd expect of a manager on his salary to achieve. I just find the way he has been doing it in the past year to be soul sucking and hard to watch. I hope we revert back to something close to the football we saw under him at the start of his tenure, as it was absolutely incredible.

I'm not trying to come across as contrary, or a troll or anything haha. It seems like we can afford to pay for a top quality manager, so if Rodgers was to move on for whatever reason, I'd happily entertain the possibility of bringing in a manager that wants to give me 7 goals thrillers every game :D Gasperini would be my dream man 

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’m scratching my eyes reading some of this….. I can only think those trying to suggest Rodgers is “boring them” are fairly new to the club….. if he bores you, then thank **** your weren’t watching Levein or Holloway……. 

Criticising what Rodgers has done here is just plain ****tarded, I’m sorry for the French.

He’s the best manager we’ve ever had, two top five finishes and the FA cup? Oh and his tactics in the cup were superb…. Were literally the only blot in Chelsea’s copy book since Tuchel took over. 

So if you’re not happy with him, just Piss off to Derby and enjoy their not so boring manager……

I actually thought Levein's football was fairly decent compared to what we'd had before, unfortunately he put all his trust in Mark De Vries to put the chances away :D

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He was quoted only a few days ago saying underperforming players have to be careful as he's many players waiting in the wings. The 2 players he namechecked were Barnes and Maddison. He's dropped them both before, I think Maddison is one more game away from being dropped.

The Ayoze Perez experience suggests you're wrong.

• Like 1

There isn’t many teams that play “entertaining” football these days….. 

I mean, what is entertaining? Football in the mid to late 90’s and 00’s was more aggressive and possibly less refined, I look back to then and some of the football we played at times was dreadful, but it was productive and played to our strengths, we’re we exciting? Sometimes yea, but we weren’t all of the time.

Are Man City exciting? No, are Chelsea exciting? Not really…. We’re Spain, arguably the best international team ever exciting? Absolutely not. 

Brendan understands this squad, he is with them all of the time. He’s worked wonders with what he has, and is establishing an amazing team. We will have up and down days, every team does…. But I just can’t understand how he can be criticised to the point where some people suggest they’re not bothered if he leaves……. Mental, absolutely mental. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

There isn’t many teams that play “entertaining” football these days….. 

I mean, what is entertaining? Football in the mid to late 90’s and 00’s was more aggressive and possibly less refined, I look back to then and some of the football we played at times was dreadful, but it was productive and played to our strengths, we’re we exciting? Sometimes yea, but we weren’t all of the time.

Are Man City exciting? No, are Chelsea exciting? Not really…. We’re Spain, arguably the best international team ever exciting? Absolutely not. 

Brendan understands this squad, he is with them all of the time. He’s worked wonders with what he has, and is establishing an amazing team. We will have up and down days, every team does…. But I just can’t understand how he can be criticised to the point where some people suggest they’re not bothered if he leaves……. Mental, absolutely mental. 

Get yourself up to Celtic Park for some Angeball @Pliskin :D

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The Ayoze Perez experience suggests you're wrong.

Perez regularly gets dropped for large periods. It just so happens we've started the season and picked at least 3 players who are scrabbling for form and fitness and one whose permanently dog shut. It's annoying but he demands goals and assists from his 3 players he deploys behind the striker, and at the very least he tolerates only 1 of them not doing so. The fa t all 3 are firing blanks means he ignores that and it will cost him big time, he's never done it before and he won't so they wither start improving or Iheanacho, Lookman and KDH will be in.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We played great attacking football for most of the 2019/20.

However it no surprise we have stuttered since, and we haven't played our best football.

In my view our best 11 players in the squad over that time has been ; Kasper, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Riccardo, Justin, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy. 

Our best football was from the start of the 19/20 season until Xmas.

Since the start of 2020 we have played 50 league games, the combine total of games missed by that 11 is 125 games 

Vardy          5 game  

Barnes       12 games 

Riccardo    26 games  

Justin        19 games 

Maddison 14 games 

Ndidi         16 games

Evans      10 games  

Soyuncu 13 games 

Fofana  10 games 

That's without taking in to consideration the injuries to other squad players. 

Hardly surprising we aren't playing champagne football

Great post

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Haven't heard the rumour mill yet of Brendan being linked to the vacant 'Florist' job!!

He was fired from his last job there for taking 60 minutes to replace the wilting flowers in the shop window and even then, he replaced the wrong ones.