Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Last season we started with a record of won 3 and lost 2 in the first 5 games. 

This season we have lost 3 and won 2. 

Rodgers has never lost 3 league games on the spin at LCFC.

I don't get the panic.

Performances are different (worse) than this time last season though so there's no comparison.

Last season was a freak and I'll not have anybody tell me otherwise. Not just for us either, but football in general due to no fans. Hence so many away wins for all sides.

I fully expect us to beat Millwall and Burnley so his record of not losing 3 on the bounce will be intact.

We are too slow, we play out from the back badly and far to slow. That's not to mention picking players who are not in form and should not be in the team.

14 hours ago, kiwiturk said:

When I've asked this question 6 months ago, I've been crucified and have had to put up many unpleasant comments here.

But here we go and I'm doing it again 

The club, the owner and all of us need to decide who we are and what we need to achieve as an EPL club.

Are we the team for,

- Chasing the title and CL spot every season?

- Aiming EL?

- Middle tier team and happy to float between 7-12?

Let's solve our ID crisis and determine a target.

My lack of love and faith for the BR never been a secret and I back myself every single day for this.

I believe his average game management, his lack of self re-innovation/ re-invention won't get us any higher I'm afraid.

This is my opinion and this is a forum for the fans who cares and believing progress.

If you not agree with it, its absolutely fine but no need for rude or smartass comments please

Rodgers has said multiple times what the clubs aim is - to challenge for the top 4 and disrupt the teams at the top, through good recruitment and management rather than finance. The key word is ‘challenge’, not achieve. The club wants to be competitive at the top but understands the gulf in financial power and the pull of the long time established big clubs such as Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

1 minute ago, BrianSwan said:

From an outsider, you guys seem crazy with totally unreal expectations.

Who would do a better job? no one. He's one of the best managers in a league where the 3 best managers in the world ply their trade and 4 of the richest and strongest teams in the world play. 

Amen Brian

Just now, BrianSwan said:

Who would do a better job? no one. He's one of the best managers in a league where the 3 best managers in the world ply their trade and 4 of the richest and strongest teams in the world play. 

Outsiders don’t watch the team for 90 minutes multiple times a week. Some of the criticisms are over the top, but for the most part the criticism has been aimed at the lack of entertainment and defensive, possession-at-all costs football rather than the results which haven’t been so bad.

Most people aren’t calling for him to be sacked (outside of the reactionary match threads), just for a return to a more exciting play style from the start of games rather than only when we go behind, no stupid passing back and forth between centre backs, and being prepared to drop out of form players when there are capable, hungry alternatives sat on the bench.

The fact that most of our best players from last season have dropped off in form at the same time is also alarming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

Outsiders don’t watch the team for 90 minutes multiple times a week. Some of the criticisms are over the top, but for the most part the criticism has been aimed at the lack of entertainment and defensive, possession-at-all costs football rather than the results which haven’t been so bad.

Most people aren’t calling for him to be sacked (outside of the reactionary match threads), just for a return to a more exciting play style from the start of games rather than only when we go behind, no stupid passing back and forth between centre backs, and being prepared to drop out of form players when there are capable, hungry alternatives sat on the bench.

The fact that most of our best players from last season have dropped off in form at the same time is also alarming.

I watch you every time I get the chance. Doesn't he always set you up to hit teams like Man City on the counter? rather than trying to fight them for possession. That shows he's willing to change his 'philosophy' or style and is not a slave to one way of playing.

• Like 2

I think the issue is that some of the issues are consistent. Players in poor form consistently starting. Set piece defending. Slow changes when things arent working out.  

There's also a lot that he consistently does well. 

Brendan often gets things right from the start but he is pretty bad ...actually id go as far as saying dreadful at turning things around when a game is not going well. Im pretty sure yesterday would have been the first time he's turned around a 2 goal deficit and got a result 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think the issue is that some of the issues are consistent. Players in poor form consistently starting. Set piece defending. Slow changes when things arent working out.  

Brendan often gets things right from the start but he is pretty bad ...actually id go as far as saying dreadful at turning things around when a game is not going well. Im pretty sure yesterday would have been the first time he's turned around a 2 goal deficit and got a result 

Not true - 2nd best last season only to Man U for points gained from losing positions:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/man-utd-1st-ranking-every-pl-club-by-points-won-from-losing-positions/

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Not true - 2nd best last season only to Man U for points gained from losing positions:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/man-utd-1st-ranking-every-pl-club-by-points-won-from-losing-positions/

There is a difference in conceding and the game plan being wrong. In those instances we didn’t suddenly change shape or system, we just continued as we were. 

Off the top of my head the only game I remember him really tinkering to good effect was the Brighton game when he switched to a 4 at the back after a terrible start. Something that the fans were crying out for even before the game. 

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

There is a stark difference though isn't there.

Puel never qualified for Europe two seasons on the bounce.

Puel never threatened the top 4.

Puel never won a trophy.

I can see the frustrations being the same had the club still languished around mid-table mediocrity but that's not the case.

The real difference now is that expectations have changed and with that people naturally get carried away and ignore the fact there may be a natural ceiling, for a period of time anyway.

I joined this forum as Rodgers was announced and the general consensus was very much that if he can turn Leicester into a perennial top 6 club then that would be brilliant. In little over two seasons he's done just that and then some so it's important to temper expectations now in line with where the club was a mere couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

Similar was made of Puel when he was here that he got us further than others had in terms of the table.

Puel got us our 2nd highest finish (Other than winning the league) at that time.

Puel threatened the Europa League places, top 6. (Only to fall away in a similar fashion in the 2nd half of seasons)

Puel got us to a quarter final.

I'm not making a case for Puel by the way (I hated the time) but it was all progression at the time but the football was so dire and boring though - not too far different to what we’ve largely seen under Rodgers - at times, minimal but at time we have had some excited and well played games under Rodgers.

I see this expectations thing mentioned quite often, expectations grow and recede on based on situations, progression and/or regression.

For example the past two season the aim and expectation for me was top 4, why? Because the league was bang average and I felt it was realistic, it arguable was as we’d been in the top 4 every week up until the week of the season that counted twice in a row, even so I was happy with 5th and Europa league.

This season my expectations are a Europa place - albeit not even 5th, as the league has become a lot stronger and a lot more competitive.

Now I’ve outlined my expectations there but might I add expectations (whether reached or not) are different to explaining and/or even bemoaning how we play or our downfalls.

Likewise I often see being ‘ungrateful’ be labelled and banded about. People do understand we can be grateful, happy, with what we’ve achieved but comment and subject criticism when its due or at things that need changing, right?

As I said last night if we’re going down that road we’d never have sacked Ranieri and have got relegated. Let me follow that up with saying no, I’m not saying Rodgers should be sacked.

As I’ve said in other posts I have a problem with football in general and the phase it’s currently going through, this ‘one size fits all’ obsession by most clubs, the ‘if you don’t like this then you don’t like football’ mentality, the ‘it’s the way football should be played’ myth that gets trotted out by media and fans who have been brainwashed, there more ways than one to skin a cat and all I ask is for adaptation within games, flexibility, changing things, there is a time and place for the type of stuff we’re seeing but it shouldn’t be every. single. game.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Last season we were 2nd or 3rd for the most amount of points won from a losing position. We've also never lost a 2 goal lead in the league under him but likewise never been 2 or more down and got a result.

46 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

For me Rodgers has a habit of having the right team on the pitch at the end of the game, but hardly ever, at the beginning.  Thats why we turn defeats in to draws and draws to wins (like last season).

His problem is, he takes too long to put it right.  I was actually shocked when he hooked Maddison at half time, not because it was the wrong decision, but because he acted early for a change.  

For me, he has to realise that on paper, we have a team that is probably the strongest outside of the traditional 6.  Play that way then.  He achieves nothing with his style of play apart from allowing the opposition teams a ridiculous amount of time to get back in shape with their cigars out.

It's only when Rodgers seemingly throws caution to the wind in the last 20 minutes of games that we actually look as good as we ought to.  

I've never seen a team so intent on just keeping possession yet doing nothing with it.  Its a bombscare every single time and we probably get through a press playing  like that what, one in five times?  The other four times we are back under the cosh with the attackers already in our final third as soonas we turn the ball over.  Our defenders are no where near good enough to play this way. 

Basically he just needs to play to our strengths more, but he doesn't do that, he just wants to have 60 percent possession of the football, no matter what the costs.

I agree with all of this

Guest Kopfkino
18 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....you will not get the opportunity to interview a manager if you go after him after a game!!!

They are already not happy about having to do countless interviews and someone asking pertinent questions and in your face will be avoided at all costs. You will have to take shared copies of interviews with 5 Live until he vacates the managers post.

It’s not going after him, it’s asking him a question with actual value. It says more about your, and anyone else that thinks similarly, mentality if it’s to be taken personal

I know people like Blackwell and Tanner have some of the cushtiest jobs in the world where actual value-add is way down the list on metrics they’re judged against and why would you want to lose that number. But I’d be pretty disappointed if I sat in that job and didn’t bother to challenge anything with my questions and approached an interview like a fan girl of a self-help author

Its also patently false that you can’t ask those questions. Guardiola was challenged about his comments about the fans. Tanner’s approach would have been to ask him how he felt being criticised by the fans and how he dealt with such trauma

23 hours ago, Hales said:

This! This is my thoughts too.  Tuchel, for example, sees an issue and changes it and if someone isn't performing he makes the changes.  Brendan always seems to not be proactive or reactive at all!  We are so predictable to other managers & they know to the minute when we will make substututions.  They know our players out of form will be playing and can target them or work through them.  

I don't understand his persistence with playing certain players and not others? It's very strange. Yes we have injuries and out of form players but we actually have a decent squad so he can mix it up and make changes but I really cannot work out his reluctance to change things or trust others.

You make a very good point, the problem with sticking with the same players also makes us predictable.

It feels like me playing on football manager where I pick the players with the best stats no matter what.

Edited by Chrysalis

18 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

You make a very good point, the problem with sticking with the same players also makes us predictable.

It feels like me playing on football manager where I pick the players with the best stats no matter what.

He's a bit different...he plays the players with the worst stats!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

For me Rodgers has a habit of having the right team on the pitch at the end of the game, but hardly ever, at the beginning.  Thats why we turn defeats in to draws and draws to wins (like last season).

His problem is, he takes too long to put it right.  I was actually shocked when he hooked Maddison at half time, not because it was the wrong decision, but because he acted early for a change.  

For me, he has to realise that on paper, we have a team that is probably the strongest outside of the traditional 6.  Play that way then.  He achieves nothing with his style of play apart from allowing the opposition teams a ridiculous amount of time to get back in shape with their cigars out.

It's only when Rodgers seemingly throws caution to the wind in the last 20 minutes of games that we actually look as good as we ought to.  

I've never seen a team so intent on just keeping possession yet doing nothing with it.  Its a bombscare every single time and we probably get through a press playing  like that what, one in five times?  The other four times we are back under the cosh with the attackers already in our final third as soonas we turn the ball over.  Our defenders are no where near good enough to play this way. 

Basically he just needs to play to our strengths more, but he doesn't do that, he just wants to have 60 percent possession of the football, no matter what the costs.

I look at our team and I think we dont have the players for a possession game.

Vardy

Barnes

Albrighton

Nacho

Ndidi

Ricardo

Kasper

I think they all suit a counter/direct game.

Fofana has technical ability but likes to dribble it forward which also doesnt suit passing it round the back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

He needs to make his mind up quickly whether we are going to play three or four at the back this season. 

All teams will make tweaks, but switching the back line each game is a recipe for disaster IMO. 

We've played a back 4 all season haven't we?  This has confused me

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

It’s not going after him, it’s asking him a question with actual value. It says more about your, and anyone else that thinks similarly, mentality if it’s to be taken personal*

I know people like Blackwell and Tanner have some of the cushtiest jobs in the world where actual value-add is way down the list on metrics they’re judged against and why would you want to lose that number. But I’d be pretty disappointed if I sat in that job and didn’t bother to challenge anything with my questions and approached an interview like a fan girl of a self-help author

Its also patently false that you can’t ask those questions. Guardiola was challenged about his comments about the fans. Tanner’s approach would have been to ask him how he felt being criticised by the fans and how he dealt with such trauma

....the chances are all you will get is soundbites and the usual responses should a manager choose not to answer a question!!!

Club managers are not politicians where searching questions are needed by the interviewer, and in the great scheme of things what a manager says after a game pales into insignificance.

Stringers problem with Pearson lasted for years and Pearson and the players refused to be interviewed by him for years. They (Pearson and Stringer) have recently made up and have buried the hatchet but it was only when Claudio turned up when the club manager had interviews with Stringer.

just for clarification, why can't a conversation be a conversation between two adults, without resorting to attempting to ridicule one another!!!*

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1