Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Would of thought Conte would be favourite. 

Conte won't take a job where he's not going to be backed properly in the transfer market, it's why he walked away from the Spurs job and why he left Inter. Barca are a complete basket case financially, they can't even afford the 12m it's going to cost to sack Koeman, no way would Conte walk into that sort of environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

If Barca come calling, you have to think he's as good as gone. TBF, would you really blame him if he wanted to go to genuinely one of the biggest teams in world football?

I'm not so sure, they are struggling to afford the 12m to sack Koeman so I don't see how they manage to find the money to sack Koeman and buy out Rodgers' contract which it would cost in the 20-30m range to do so.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'm not so sure, they are struggling to afford the 12m to sack Koeman so I don't see how they manage to find the money to sack Koeman and buy out Rodgers' contract which it would cost in the 20-30m range to do so.

They’d rely on Rodgers taking a massive pay cut, which to join them for a once in a lifetime opportunity, he probably would do. 

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't wish to pick a fight, as it's clear from the way you write that you're a great guy with a passion for LCFC, but you're essentially saying BR gets lucky. I don't really get the media darling bit either, that's opinion rather than fact.

And for the record, Tunchel is actually Tuchel! :) 

I wouldn't say he gets lucky, on the contrary, I think he's a very shrewd operator. The Celtic job was a brilliant move for him at the time, notwithstanding that he's a keen supporter of the club also. It was though, as much as you can have one in football, a low risk job with great potential to really rebuild a fairly tarnished reputation. I know he still had to manage them but he had a far easier job than any other manager in that league. He also knew the right time to get out and with us, jumped onto a very good bandwagon. I don't think he was lucky with that either, I think he was very clever and calculated,  you have to admire that. He sees potential. The players he has at his disposal are arguably the best squad on paper we've ever had and whist finishing 5th twice is good, I don't think he'd be the only manager that could have achieved that with the talent he had at his disposal. I  do think though that any of those so termed and aforementioned elite managers though would have got us to 4th though because tactically, at this point in time, they are of a much higher calibre.

Rodgers does however appear to be an incredible man manager. When things go well it's both the players and manager that do well. Likewise when things aren't going so well, the manager can't be entirely blameless either. 

Plus you are spot on,  there's never a need to pick fights, none of us are right or wrong, it's just opinions. Also my spelling of managers and players names is crap, I can spell Vestergaard in at least 4 different ways 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I mean, he's done well domestically (FA Cup and Community Shield here), Swansea (play offs) and dominated Scotland with Celtic but I would think he needs to do something at a bigger club (Celtic are a big club obviously but the league isn't too strong), and also in Europe, to be considered one of the best managers "in World football". Most of the best managers, not just now but over time in football, win things consistently and across all areas. If he was to win the Europa League here I think his reputation would rocket. Don't forget he was at Liverpool but never won anything. And don't come at me with "he nearly won the league", we literally laugh at Spurs fans for saying that. Perhaps he was too young for such a big job? But let's not forget Klopp had to overhaul the squad to make it one of the best in the league. Rodgers left them in the top 10, not even the top 6.

People did laugh off his Celtic achievements because "it's Scotland" and his European record with Celtic was shocking. I don't think it was any better with Liverpool. As I said, I think a good European run here (semi final/final) would be great for him as a manager. I like Brendan Rodgers but he fits us as much as we fit him. When he was sacked by Liverpool I don't recall any other club but Celtic going for him. I think he left Celtic, a good job with the club he supports, because he knew how good the opportunity was here. We were, and have been, as good for him as he has us.

Nobody would rather have Puel back either. I haven't seen one person say that. I hope Rodgers stays for the future, as he's consistently had us in the top 6 and consistency is key in sport, but he also has issues he needs to address at the minute.

Best post on this whole thread. 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely love what he has done here and am a huge fan of his BUT there are certain things that just don't make sense. Why is he persisting with perez and maddison, why does Vardy play 90 minutes every game, why does Kel get so few chances even though he's by far our most potent attacking outlet? It's beginning to get a bit frustrating. I am by no means a Rodgers out type and even if we end up finishing between 7th and 10th this year I still won't be but some of his team selections are really baffling and I can't understand some of it lately, it just seems so obvious, drop madison, drop perez, give kel more minutes and I can't for the life of me work out why he doesn't. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

They’d rely on Rodgers taking a massive pay cut, which to join them for a once in a lifetime opportunity, he probably would do. 

That doesn't matter. they'd still have to buy out Rodgers' contract at Leicester. Even if they paid him nothing they'd still have to fork out 20-30m just to speak to him. Same way Leicester had to buy out his contract at Celtic for £9m.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I absolutely love what he has done here and am a huge fan of his BUT there are certain things that just don't make sense. Why is he persisting with perez and maddison, why does Vardy play 90 minutes every game, why does Kel get so few chances even though he's by far our most potent attacking outlet? It's beginning to get a bit frustrating. I am by no means a Rodgers out type and even if we end up finishing between 7th and 10th this year I still won't be but some of his team selections are really baffling and I can't understand some of it lately, it just seems so obvious, drop madison, drop perez, give kel more minutes and I can't for the life of me work out why he doesn't. 

Don't get the Iheancho thing at all. I understand he has to change the shape to accommodate Iheanacho to get the best out of him and he also has to do the same with Maddison and the two are mutually exclusive. I could see his logic if Maddison was on fire but he's stinking the place out this season and Iheanacho on the other hand is just fresh off the back of the most productive 6 months of his career. If you were to set up in a way to accommodate either of those players surely it's Iheanacho, at the moment anyway. Not basing this on anything but I get the feeling he's not totally sold on Iheancho regardless of how he performs, just doesn't fancy him.

• Like 2

He clearly doesn't fancy ihenacho but I can't understand why. He's been a goal machine for us but we're using him as a hail Mary with 10-15 minutes to go in games. It's infuriating and I think just get him on the pitch, yes he seems most productive as part of a front 2 but who's to say he can't play as a lone striker or behind the striker or on the right. Just get the lad on the pitch and let him influence games. 

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He clearly doesn't fancy ihenacho but I can't understand why. He's been a goal machine for us but we're using him as a hail Mary with 10-15 minutes to go in games. It's infuriating and I think just get him on the pitch, yes he seems most productive as part of a front 2 but who's to say he can't play as a lone striker or behind the striker or on the right. Just get the lad on the pitch and let him influence games. 

It must be frustrating for Kel, no matter how many times he's bailed us out in games whether starting or from the bench, he still gets treated like he's the chairman's son who's been given a place in the squad.

why oh why do our sports reporters in their interviews simply not ask Rogers some direct questions? Yes Rogers has said madders is not 100% in form so why keep playing him? and if so how long will he continue to keep playing him ie, what's the bloody plan here? All we (fans) want to know is some rationale behind the decision making surely we deserve that much? We need goals as that puts points on the table and keeps us up in contention for a champions league spot a target rogers himself has repeatedly pointed out. Ahh heck for me I don't mind a rogers masterplan if it pans out but why wait until the 70th minute mark to change the game? Why can't a team talk comprise of "start fast, start strong or I will make changes at half time!" this way the players know there is no time to waste. This persistence on hoping for a miracle improvement is dangerous. For us it hasn't panned out that way many times. (i'm sure someone has the stats)

we do seem to get with it once we go goals down but how many times have we rescued a result from that rude awakening? Today's game should not be treated like a low pressure event - we need a boost going into the burnley game not a shock loss against Millwall who will always be up for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Maybe I am misinterpreting views here but I feel that for a manager who has guided us to two 5th place finishes, won an FA Cup and built an exciting young squad many have never warmed to him.

...pretty much accurate...!!!

There is just that something that stops you from believing what he says and his body language contradicts what comes out of his mouth. Irrespective of what he has achieved here, there will always be that distance between him and many of our fanbase in respect of any affection for him.

Some people might view it as irrational but for most I would think "something, is just not right".

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That doesn't matter. they'd still have to buy out Rodgers' contract at Leicester. Even if they paid him nothing they'd still have to fork out 20-30m just to speak to him. Same way Leicester had to buy out his contract at Celtic for £9m.

But again, the once in a lifetime thing might mean he’d walk out rather than do what he did with Celtic than wait for the club to pay up, even forsaking any loyalty bonus. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...pretty much accurate...!!!

There is just that something that stops you from believing what he says and his body language contradicts what comes out of his mouth. Irrespective of what he has achieved here, there will always be that distance between him and many of our fanbase in respect of any affection for him.

Some people might view it as irrational but for most I would think "something, is just not right".

I think that is a fair point. I believe it was @Dan LCFCwho made this point but as much as I admire what he has achieved and how far we have progressed under him it is sometimes hard to not feel frustrated with his refusal to change things up a bit. For instance, his persistence with an injured / out of form Maddison and his lack of ability to learn ANYTHING from the two West Ham games last season really means that he is cut less slack by our fan base at times. He just seems somewhat delusional from time to time. 

I actually don’t like admitting the above either as objectively, he has clearly done a fantastic job but like you say what comes out from his mouth is ultimately the reason he sometimes gets a bashing on here and on a personal level, is the mitigating factor for him being considered a world class manager imo.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If people can't warm to a manager who has delivered us that - and last season you could argue was the second best in our history - then they might struggle to warm to anyone.

Imagine winning the fa cup for the first time I’m our history but people can’t warm to him cause he didn’t pick the team they wanted, absolutely crazy. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If people can't warm to a manager who has delivered us that - and last season you could argue was the second best in our history - then they might struggle to warm to anyone.

I absolutely agree with you but delusions of grandeur has been an issue amongst our fan base since 15/16.

• Like 1