Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Could you honestly name 20 better?

In terms of contributions I could name 15 on top of my head. Ayoze Perez is technically more talented than Albrighton but that doesn't mean that he was better for us. We're probably arguing semantics here, but I think "on of e our best ever" would need to contribute significantly more than Maddison has. And i like Maddison a lot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Rodgers works best with a small squad, the fact that in order to be successful, you require depth (an expansion of the squad) but he needs to utilise these options, and it seems difficult for Rodgers to come to grips with this paradox.

This is the area Rodgers most needs to address to push himself, and us, to the next level. 

It's all well and good balancing a small squad but Over the course of a season there will be unintentional injuries. We've found that out twice. 

It might be easier to maintain in Scotland where youngsters and not quite up to it players don't make a huge difference but it does in this league. 

It's a tough ask to get right but we need future proofing in that respect. 

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is the area Rodgers most needs to address to push himself, and us, to the next level. 

It's all well and good balancing a small squad but Over the course of a season there will be unintentional injuries. We've found that out twice. 

It might be easier to maintain in Scotland where youngsters and not quite up to it players don't make a huge difference but it does in this league. 

It's a tough ask to get right but we need future proofing in that respect. 

....I have the feeling if he went to a big club, we talking Barca or Real then he will play the same team over and over again!!!

He will change the format because of injury not because it is the right solution for the opposition we are about to play. The reasons for not playing the new players at the moment are to a point understandable, but you feel there are favourites (or players that he trust) that will always take precedence.

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I have the feeling if he went to a big club, we talking Barca or Real then he will play the same team over and over again!!!

He will change the format because of injury not because it is the right solution for the opposition we are about to play. The reasons for not playing the new players at the moment are to a point understandable, but you feel there are favourites (or players that he trust) that will always take precedence.

We're seeing that with Maddison and Barnes. 

These are great players when in form. But they've not been and we, and they, could benefit from a break but Rodgers persists long beyond the point of being sensible. 

Owing to the small squad attitude we find ourselves short handed and it shows at times. 

I sympathise with the need to keep everyone happy but you have to wonder whether having the depth of a Praet to call on might have been useful right now. 

Like I say, it's a tough riddle to solve but one Rodgers is paid handsomely to solve. I'd hope to see some squad improvement and competition come in in January. It would be healthy for all concerned. 

Another solution is to change system to suit. There's no reason why we can't play two up top and lighten the impact and demand on other areas. Iheanacho should be starting. Barnes needs a rest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t think we don’t need additions in January. We need to find consistency, individual form and get JJ and Fofana back to full fitness (probs won’t be January for either of them). Nowhere in the squad requires significant investment right now. 

The consistency and individual form are compromised by a lack of depth though. 

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Highlighting this part, because this is true for many managers, even successful ones like Pellegrini at Man City, Ancelotti and Conte at Chelsea, etc.

If you have the same manager and same set of players for a long time, it's natural that at some point people lose their edge and things get a bit comfortable. Often times that's a reason to change the man in charge, to get some fresh ideas in and challenge the players. I hope that isn't the case with Rodgers, but it's definitely possible that's how things will pan out.

However, given we've got a great DOF in Rudkin, I'd be less concerned if that were to happen. Our squad is young and vibrant and more and more players are coming through. If worst case scenario happened and we had a bad season and had to make a change, we'd still have a great core to build upon.

But all that said, I think we as a fanbase massively under-appreciate Brendan. We aren't the sort of club that can go out and hire a proven world class manager, and Rodgers has done a much better job than Ancelotti and Koeman at Everton, both of whom were backed significantly, Mourinho at Spurs and Unai Emery at Arsenal! You won't many managers in world football capable of doing that with a team with our resources. 

Fully agree.

But if/when we need a new manager, the club will already have its shortlist. Graham Potter will be on it I suspect.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Highlighting this part, because this is true for many managers, even successful ones like Pellegrini at Man City, Ancelotti and Conte at Chelsea, etc.

If you have the same manager and same set of players for a long time, it's natural that at some point people lose their edge and things get a bit comfortable. Often times that's a reason to change the man in charge, to get some fresh ideas in and challenge the players. I hope that isn't the case with Rodgers, but it's definitely possible that's how things will pan out.

However, given we've got a great DOF in Rudkin, I'd be less concerned if that were to happen. Our squad is young and vibrant and more and more players are coming through. If worst case scenario happened and we had a bad season and had to make a change, we'd still have a great core to build upon.

But all that said, I think we as a fanbase massively under-appreciate Brendan. We aren't the sort of club that can go out and hire a proven world class manager, and Rodgers has done a much better job than Ancelotti and Koeman at Everton, both of whom were backed significantly, Mourinho at Spurs and Unai Emery at Arsenal! You won't many managers in world football capable of doing that with a team with our resources. 

Some great points there and I fully agree, I think a team or manager stagnates after a few years nowadays and a change has to happen in one sense. I think Klopp and Guardiola have both been pretty vocal about this in the past. In my own opinion I hope it's the former and Rodgers goes about (over the course of a few windows) freshening the team up and building his 2.0 version of Leicester if that makes sense. I really think it's something he needs to be pro-active about also as guys like Evans, Vardy, Tielemans are going to need replaced and it's better doing that ahead of time if possible and not waiting and reacting when these guys are no longer fit for purpose. I'm aware a guy like Vardy can't be replaced per say but more a plan for life after him.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The consistency and individual form are compromised by a lack of depth though. 

With perhaps the exception of the centre half position, we've arguably got the best squad in depth we've ever had!

Even then, notwithstanding Evans and Fofana are out, there are sides above us without the quality we've got. I believe it's far more important to set up appropriately with what you've got available to you whilst giving due regard to the opposition on any particular day. Play to your strengths and not a prerequisite 'one fits all' philosophy which requires necessarily dumping when the circumstances don't fit. Moyes, Potter and even Dyche, who's team languish one from bottom seem to have managed it against us.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

With perhaps the exception of the centre half position, we've arguably got the best squad in depth we've ever had!

Even then, notwithstanding Evans and Fofana are out, there are sides above us without the quality we've got. I believe it's far more important to set up appropriately with what you've got available to you whilst giving due regard to the opposition on any particular day. Play to your strengths and not a prerequisite 'one fits all' philosophy which requires necessarily dumping when the circumstances don't fit. Moyes, Potter and even Dyche, who's team languish one from bottom seem to have managed it against us.

Have we, though? That's the mantra because we've, historically, not had the wherewithal to have a squad of quality. We are a different beast now. 

Even the league winning team was weak behind the first eleven. We just got very lucky with injuries and fitness. 

Sure Choudhury is better than previous back up midfielders like Marshall or King or Inler - we have the best squad depth in that respect. But the question is it good enough for our aims of consolidation in the top 6.

Edited by foxile5
Named an attacker

23 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Have we, though? That's the mantra because we've, historically, not had the wherewithal to have a squad of quality. We are a different beast now. 

Even the league winning team was weak behind the first eleven. We just got very lucky with injuries and fitness. 

Sure Choudhury is better than previous back up midfielders like Marshall or King or Inler - we have the best squad depth in that respect. But the question is it good enough for our aims of consolidation in the top 6.

Nonsense argument , of course not...Our natural financial constraint will have is covering around the borders, but Good enough to wet our lips,

and get us competing & up for the challenge...That Challenge has took a massive hit, After a Complete season of Chronic injuries, where No manager

Would have a Chance to find a long game period, to Build on with the same group of players, und with that where does a squad und Manager find & create

Team character & rythme...In our old days, that would see us fighting relegation,

but that Quality of our fringe & occasional fit Star players is of a much higher quality...

Aspiring & entitlement, are different bed partners..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I don't think there's any question about it, really. We are a different beast now.

Not sure why you're bringing up the league winning squad. I think we'd probably all agree that squad had less depth than this one. That's arguing against your own point.

Not sure Choudhury is the best example to use when there are so many players ahead of him. He'll barely get a kick when there's Youri, Ndidi, Soumare, KDH and Maddison ahead of him. And his home-grown status might have had a lot to do with him being in the squad ahead of Mendy and Praet, who didn't even make the cut.

The strength in depth we had for the last two seasons was good enough for top 5, and it's much stronger now.

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Everton, Brighton, Villa, Brentford, Arsenal, Spurs and Watford are above us, really? There's absolutely plenty there to be working with compared with that lot. Have they got any injuries by the way? No excuses, we've got a strong talented squad this season, depends on what you do with them.

Guest Col city fan
28 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Everton, Brighton, Villa, Brentford, Arsenal, Spurs and Watford are above us, really? There's absolutely plenty there to be working with compared with that lot. Have they got any injuries by the way? No excuses, we've got a strong talented squad this season, depends on what you do with them.

It’s our defence. It’s weak. I’ve been saying it’s weak for a long time now.

We‘ll score goals with this team, but we’ll concede too many as well 

Without Evans back any time soon, we’ll end up mid table 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s our defence. It’s weak. I’ve been saying it’s weak for a long time now.

We‘ll score goals with this team, but we’ll concede too many as well 

Without Evans back any time soon, we’ll end up mid table 

Yes I absolutely agree but, like any other team in the Premiership, many of whom haven't got the strength of squad we have, if you perceivabley have a weakened defence, you have to adapt and adjust your team accordingly. I would suggest that to accommodate that, with the players our manager has available to him, you don't bolster a seemingly susceptible team with a couple of lightweights in the shape of Perez and Maddison. The latter when he's on top form may be a consideration in the right formation but he's not. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 10:38, StriderHiryu said:

I think we as a fanbase massively under-appreciate Brendan.

We aren't the sort of club that can go out and hire a proven world class manager, and Rodgers has done a much better job than Ancelotti and Koeman at Everton, both of whom were backed significantly, Mourinho at Spurs and Unai Emery at Arsenal!

You won't many managers in world football capable of doing that with a team with our resources. 

I suspect that fans will only truly appreciate the work of Rodgers (and players like Schmeichel) when they leave us.

They both have massive credit in the bank yet some can't stop constantly chipping away at them.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Nonsense argument , of course not...Our natural financial constraint will have is covering around the borders, but Good enough to wet our lips,

and get us competing & up for the challenge...That Challenge has took a massive hit, After a Complete season of Chronic injuries, where No manager

Would have a Chance to find a long game period, to Build on with the same group of players, und with that where does a squad und Manager find & create

Team character & rythme...In our old days, that would see us fighting relegation,

but that Quality of our fringe & occasional fit Star players is of a much higher quality...

Aspiring & entitlement, are different bed partners..

Have to agree that Rogers not being able to play his ideal team is really affecting him hard even though he doesnt show it in interviews. Any manager even Kloppers was not happy when he lost key players it rocks the team dynamic. There are probably managers who actually do well with curve balls and can swap and change players to great affect. I don't think we have that in Rogers. He likes his solid group of players all performing week in week out at a high level. The odd one or two players missing a game here and there is okay but what he's had to manage must be making him go insane! The sooner we get lil wes and JJ back the better and keep Ricky fit and most of all get Evans to string two or three bloody games together without getting crocked! Bring back the Tibetan monks we need to banish the hoodoo.