Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

If the owners want us to progress then they will have no choice but to spend massively otherwise Newcastle will take over us with ease 

You are aware of the differences in the value of the owning entities - right?   lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They also have no other big clubs around them. Sunderland are the closest big club and nobody from Newcastle is gonna support Sunderland.

So different to being in the Midlands.

Newcastle / Sunderland and Middlesborough is similar to the East Midlands geography wise?

Just now, Spudulike said:

I agree that its just click bait bollox but an example of what's coming down the tracks. 

No its not. It just an example of the media having carte blanche because there is a new big dog in town. There needs to be no validity behind it.

24 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Rodgers isn't the man for the job yet. They need Man-City-Hughes type manager first. Someone half decent but with no real track record of success. Spend a bit of money and elevate them to a higher level in the league, then pull the trigger on someone (and players) bigger and better.

If you just go out and spend cash on superstars now you're just going to end up with mercenaries who ultimately want to run the show, which is just unsustainable, especially when there's no European Football to keep them happy.

This will be a long term project with bumps along the road, but too early for BR.

I'm fairly sure it would make more sense to jump to someone actually decent, rather than waste money on stop gaps. They hired him as they thought he was a good manager, it just turns out to be a poor decision like Sven etc. And then they make a change. 

Rodgers might fancy it, taken it probably as far as we'll ever go constancy wise. BUT... he'd want assurances and almost total control, because of what's happened elsewhere, with managers being disposable. 

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Newcastle / Sunderland and Middlesborough is similar to the East Midlands geography wise?

Pretty much, although Middlesbrough and Newcastle are around 40 miles apart. The big difference is that we are only 50 miles away from Birmingham, so we have the likes of Villa to contend with. South of Leicestershire people generally gravitate towards the big London clubs. 

7 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Pretty much, although Middlesbrough and Newcastle are around 40 miles apart. The big difference is that we are only 50 miles away from Birmingham, so we have the likes of Villa to contend with. South of Leicestershire people generally gravitate towards the big London clubs. 

don't forget the footballing behemoth that is cov city - NB: cov are hoe to Bristol City nest month - I am thinking of going to cheer nige , kingy, matty and danny on.

40 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

For our star players Leicester is a stepping stone and unfortunately Newcastle will be very attractive to all of our players. They've experienced the limitations of Leicester now for a few seasons.

Newcastle will have no such limitations. 

...I cannot imagine any of our players going to Newcastle!!!

It would set them back 2 years and at this time in their career that would not be a good move. Going to a big 4 or similar in Europe would be their next move.

If they could bring in a marque signing as the pied piper they could move their rise from the ashes. A Gareth Bale type of signing to set this off would be a start.

It will be interesting to watch this develop from the side, as it will be a source of entertainment to see them evolve.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Part of me would love to rinse Newcastle for best part of £500m.

They can have Rodgers and coaches for £50m

Fofana £120m

Maddison £50m

Tielemans £80m

Ndidi £100m

Ricardo £50m

Soyuncu £50m

I don't think they will do much shopping at those prices. The new owners will spend but will never get ripped off. Oh and they won't want Perez back. They might enquire about Kelechi if Rodgers doesn't use him.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I don't think they will do much shopping at those prices. The new owners will spend but will never get ripped off. Oh and they won't want Perez back. They might enquire about Kelechi if Rodgers doesn't use him.

Do you really believe they won't pay over the odds to secure targets?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

They will overspend, that will be the way they ensure they get players over others.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I do not believe you are seeing this right!!!

It is not about an instant turnaround and becoming competitive overnight, it comes down to probably the best opportunity that any aspiring manager could hope for. The chance to run a club with such a large war chest, and owners fully expectant of the task taking a period of time, and not expecting an instant fix.

If you look at the declaration of the pandemic, what some saw as a major catastrophe would have been the most exciting moment for the boffins, to be the one to come up with the vaccine that saves mankind, a complete life and career changing opportunity.

The existing managers at the big clubs (top 6) will not be rushing to go there but they (Newcastle) will perhaps be best served to go British, or a European manager who has worked in the Premier League previously. Worst case scenario would be for them going for Mourinho, it may be tempting but would be a poor move.

I don’t think you see it right…..

If football has taught us anything it is that time a patience are not something lost managers get.

You’ve got members of the consortium coming out saying “Newcastle deserve to be top of the premier league” and “we want to compete”….

But, Newcastle have a big problem first, stability and building the foundations to succeed…. They currently don’t have that.

My argument has nothing to do with long term plans because currently they’re irrelevant. They’re not going to come and get Rodgers and say to him. “Yea if we don’t go down nae bother”…. The expectation to survive would be ridiculous, no amount of money will change much at Newcastle in January, as they will be relying upon fringe players and has-beens…. So any manager who decided to leave a club in a stable position, to one that is still very much unstable and the immediate future not clear, would be taking a huge gamble. 

The foundations to success aren’t at Newcastle yet, they’re still the same club they were a few weeks ago but with a flat bit of cash, cash they can’t really do a lot with until they know where they are with regards to FFP.

Newcastle are one of my picks to be relegated, and that still hasn’t changed, they’ve got a hell of a lot of work to do to get where they want to be, talks of this war chest are premature, because FFP restricts what they can pump into the team at the moment, and they don’t really know what they can and can’t spend yet. 

If Newcastle survive this season, and can have a decent amount of cash to spend in the summer, then Rodgers should potentially consider it, but until they’re mathematically safe, are far too big a risk to take, because the owners would expect the threat of relegation to be immediately sorted, and they’re currently not capable of doing that. 

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think you see it right…..

If football has taught us anything it is that time a patience are not something lost managers get.

You’ve got members of the consortium coming out saying “Newcastle deserve to be top of the premier league” and “we want to compete”….

But, Newcastle have a big problem first, stability and building the foundations to succeed…. They currently don’t have that.

My argument has nothing to do with long term plans because currently they’re irrelevant. They’re not going to come and get Rodgers and say to him. “Yea if we don’t go down nae bother”…. The expectation to survive would be ridiculous, no amount of money will change much at Newcastle in January, as they will be relying upon fringe players and has-beens…. So any manager who decided to leave a club in a stable position, to one that is still very much unstable and the immediate future not clear, would be taking a huge gamble. 

The foundations to success aren’t at Newcastle yet, they’re still the same club they were a few weeks ago but with a flat bit of cash, cash they can’t really do a lot with until they know where they are with regards to FFP.

Newcastle are one of my picks to be relegated, and that still hasn’t changed, they’ve got a hell of a lot of work to do to get where they want to be, talks of this war chest are premature, because FFP restricts what they can pump into the team at the moment, and they don’t really know what they can and can’t spend yet. 

If Newcastle survive this season, and can have a decent amount of cash to spend in the summer, then Rodgers should potentially consider it, but until they’re mathematically safe, are far too big a risk to take, because the owners would expect the threat of relegation to be immediately sorted, and they’re currently not capable of doing that. 

.....we will see the outcome of this come the end of the season!!!

I would say a finish of mid table will not be a surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....do you factor in fanbase in your assessment!!!

Numbers of stadium seats and bums on them doesn't make a great deal of difference in modern football. The days of being a 'big' club due to ticket sales are long gone. Its all about TV audience and I'm not sure that Newcastle attract more than LCFC does. 

40 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

They won't if they take Rodgers lol 

42 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

They'll have to get ripped off to an extent. Newcastle will have to pay a premium in terms of transfer fees and wages to convince even good players to go there initially. Seen the exact same with Chelsea and Man City in the early days of their respective takeovers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Numbers of stadium seats and bums on them doesn't make a great deal of difference in modern football. The days of being a 'big' club due to ticket sales are long gone. Its all about TV audience and I'm not sure that Newcastle attract more than LCFC does. 

The higher up the league you are it does. That's why Liverpool spent so much developing Anfield and why Leicester are looking to increase the capacity at the KP. Everyone gets largely the same tv money in the EPL so that's why unlocking further revenue streams like increased match day income, european football, prize money for finishing higher up the league consistently can push clubs onto that next level.

Ticket prices in the EPL are very pricey so if you can sell an extra 10k seats every second week that adds up to quite a differentiator in terms of revenue when you add that up over 19 games a season.

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

They'll have to get ripped off to an extent. Newcastle will have to pay a premium in terms of transfer fees and wages to convince even good players to go there initially. Seen the exact same with Chelsea and Man City in the early days of their respective takeovers.

They will want value for money I reckon, Tarkowski might well join them first. He would expect 5 million a year which I doubt we would pay. Superstar players carry too much risk for a team like Newcastle but they will be looking at experience to get them out of trouble to start with.