Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

30 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

My bigger concern than losing him is the subsequent approaches for Fofana, Ndidi, Tielemans etc 

Wilf and Fofana have more than 1 year left on their contracts. Youri - is another scenario.  

We do not have to sell the first two, but with Youri we would surely cash in and may be swap for Fred:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Wilf and Fofana have more than 1 year left on their contracts. Youri - is another scenario.  

We do not have to sell the first two, but with Youri we would surely cash in and may be swap for Fred:ph34r:

Yanited squad is crying out for a decent DM and think they would come in for him with a big bid if that's who Rodgers wanted. They don't need much else other than a DM and maybe a  right back who can play football. 

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Seen on the BBC gossip section this morning there are rumours that Rodgers has a release clause should a Champions League club come in for him.

This is purely hypothetical, but does anyone know whether such a release clause still applies if the manager's current club is in the Champions' League?

For example, if we hadn't slipped to 5th at the end of last season - or if we've miraculously surged up to 4th by the end of this season?

Unlikely to be of relevance in the MUFC situation even next summer, as I can't imagine that they're going to wait until then.

There seems to be too much momentum behind a Solskjaer departure now. If they want Brendan, I expect he'll probably be gone soon.

One thing I disagree with is all this talk of him "not being able to take Leicester any further".

While we haven't started well, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that he could still get us a Top 4 finish or late stages of the Europa League, be that this season or next.

Then, for BR, there's the career question of whether he's better advised to take a job with a rich club that's in a mess (MUFC now) or to try to build on his achievements at LCFC and potentially be a contender later for a big job where the club isn't in a mess. Doing the latter would be a massive career gamble (he might be able to edge us a bit further, but absolutely no guarantee of that). Also, the short-term expectations at MUFC might be lower. Within reason, he'd probably be given a couple of years to build - whereas he'd be expected to win trophies immediately at, say, Chelsea or Man City, if he stayed put, did well here and went to such a club in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

If Pearson hadn't managed us and we needed a new manager would anyone suggest we hire the manager of the team 19th in the championship? 

Man I love Nige but he is no longer the manager he was when he was here.

Although Bristol City is a weird one. I don't think the owner gives a fvck and their squad is so bad. They released a lot of players this summer just gone.

He's also having issues with his health, sad to see, and surely impacting.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely well said, exactly as I see it 👏.  All this nonsense by ego damaged pundit revisionist nobbers really irks me. We won it and won it well by 10 clear points. We were simply the best!

Unreal how many times I've read that it was Spurs' chance. Never heard hype like it over a side who got only 70 points in a season.

• Like 1

Still don't know why Rodgers would leave here just to go to another club and risk failure.

Unless he has a partnership with those who hold the power above him and an understanding/agreement of what its going to take to accomplish the goals set for him. I don't see the point. Him and his agent have to know the lay of the land much better than we do.

The seeming lack of any kind of organization from the top on down at United has continuously set them up to fail.` Until they can get their club running like Leicester they seem to be spinning their wheels. The attraction for Rodgers should be to work for a Leicester type organization but with more money.

Thats the thing about climbing up the managerial ladder. The higher you go the less patience there is. I would think Rodgers would want to feel assured that he can meet expectations given what he has and what will be promised. The last thing he needs is another Liverpool rebuilding project and setting up shop for the next guy to succeed.

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Rodgers and all top managers won't and can't think that way though, they'll always back themselves to go and do a good job, they won't think about being a failure, it's that single mindedness that makes these guys top coaches/managers in the first place. Furthermore, the ask initially is to do a better job than OGS which he'll know and we all know he could do in his sleep.

Man Utd being a shambles is probably the perfect opportunity for him as to an extent the only way is up. Had Man Utd been a well oiled machine on and off the park and competing for trophies they would probably have their sights set higher than Rodgers.

It pains me to say it but it's hard to knock back the Man Utd job whatever the context, it's one of the biggest job's in world football.

Agree with that but seeing their history I'd have to wonder about all the failure after Ferguson. Maybe experience will tell him and his agent what they can work with and what they can't. Just like here.

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

If pearson had the job now, where'd we finish? I think at max 7-10. He's underrated in general. Switched to 3 at the back before it was cool in 2015

Nothing in he's career before or since managing us suggests he is a manager that can deliver that finish.

As good as he was for us at the time, his career has sadly been on the decline since he left. 

• Like 1

People saying they don't know why he'd go Man Utd in their current state, but this is hardly a club languishing down in mid table and out of Europe. He's renown for getting off to a fast start and as recent as the end of the transfer window it was believed Utd now had the squad to potentially challenge for the title. They certainly ought to be top 4 without much trouble. It would be too tempting for someone like Rodgers and I couldn't really begrudge him it, even if I don't particularly want to lose him.

I do think it's going to happen though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Still don't know why Rodgers would leave here just to go to another club and risk failure.

Unless he has a partnership with those who hold the power above him and an understanding/agreement of what its going to take to accomplish the goals set for him. I don't see the point. Him and his agent have to know the lay of the land much better than we do.

The seeming lack of any kind of organization from the top on down at United has continuously set them up to fail.` Until they can get their club running like Leicester they seem to be spinning their wheels. The attraction for Rodgers should be to work for a Leicester type organization but with more money.

Thats the thing about climbing up the managerial ladder. The higher you go the less patience there is. I would think Rodgers would want to feel assured that he can meet expectations given what he has and what will be promised. The last thing he needs is another Liverpool rebuilding project and setting up shop for the next guy to succeed.

With Leicester, Rodgers has benefitted from a very good recruitment team who have, in recent times, had great success disregarding Perez and Vestergaard who Rodgers himself was supposedly instrumental in bringing in.

If he goes to United, indeed they have a far bigger budget but, if Rodgers has to rebuild, how good is United's recruitment team? Clearly with some of the non playing signings they have on their books not great. If they are to rely on Rodgers judgement in that area, particularly if they recruit his mate Congerton also, then I fear his tenure will be quite a short one with his reputation incredibly damaged. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

With Leicester, Rodgers has benefitted from a very good recruitment team who have, in recent times, had great success disregarding Perez and Vestergaard who Rodgers himself was supposedly instrumental in bringing in.

If he goes to United, indeed they have a far bigger budget but, if Rodgers has to rebuild, how good is United's recruitment team? Clearly with some of the non playing signings they have on their books not great. If they are to rely on Rodgers judgement in that area, particularly if they recruit his mate Congerton also, then I fear his tenure will be quite a short one with his reputation incredibly damaged. 

Some truth in that and I was quite vocal about this when he first joined Leicester, he won a watch joining a club that had a very strong and forward thinking recruitment model already in place. History shows when recruitment is left to Rodgers himself (and his sidekick Congerton) it's an area of the job he's not particularly good at and again this is evident across several jobs he's had.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hales said:

I've been at Camp Beagle all morning and haven't been online so is this looking more likely that he is going or are we still at the rumour stage? 

Still nothing but rumours, OGS isn’t going anywhere yet and will definitely be in charge for the Watford game at least.

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

Just reading an article on Michael Edwards leaving Liverpool and Rodgers got a shout out. You can see why he went and got himself a little lapdog in Congerton :D

When Edwards was a member of the dreaded transfer committee during Brendan Rodgers’ reign, the manager saw him as a threat to his authority. Friction existed. Edwards was portrayed by some as merely a number cruncher who relied solely on spreadsheets but that was never the case. He has always combined modern methods with old school scouting, including gathering extensive character references on potential transfer targets.

Klopp, who had worked with sporting director Michael Zorc at Borussia Dortmund, embraced Edwards’ input from the start. He likes the fact that Edwards speaks his mind. They don’t always agree but mutual respect abounds.

“It is a very good relationship. He is a very thoughtful person,” Klopp said last year. “We don’t always have to have the same opinion from the first second of a conversation, but we finish pretty much all our talks with the same opinion or similar opinions.”

4 hours ago, John rayner said:

Tell me why he would go ,BR has the backing of the owners at City, and he is rebuilding the squad ,big loss if he goes to united, 

If you need me to tell you why he would go to Manchester United then I really don’t think there is much hope for you. It’s FRIGGIN obvious. 

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

If you need me to tell you why he would go to Manchester United then I really don’t think there is much hope for you. It’s FRIGGIN obvious. 

Its not obvious, lets not be ridiculous, some jobs are poisonous.

Arsenal was until they (seem to at least) did the right thing and accepted tough times with a coach who they believe can progress.

Its not always so simple, managers, players, staff talk. If there is friction and a lack of direction at a club, the first person through that door fixes it and in all likelihood gets binned whilst doing it. 

The expectation at Man Utd is huge, anyone with sense would look at West Ham now, see Moyes, see how he was ruined at Man Utd and pause.

Big clubs are great when they aren`t a mess.

Maybe you think have loads of cash and kudos is enough of course.... (Any candidate already has loads of cash)

I mean apparently Ole and his blame escaping coaches have been trying 70m Sancho at wing back, the setup is amateur hour, and you cannot change it all *

* Unless your name is Ralf Ragnick

• Like 3

Manager speculation on a slow day is always a bit of fun but is probably just that .There is always a fine line in football. If United win their next two games the speculation will be under the carpet. Similarly if we lose our next  two matches , which is eminently possible , this thread will go red hot with people calling for Rodgers's head. Then the assumption would be that United wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

• Like 1