Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...our blockers are neither subtle or effective!!!

They are mismatched against their opponents and look to physically engage with their man, instead of taken up a position which prevents or delays and movement from "their man" to go forward.

If you seek to engage, by using your hand to envelope a player and should that player go to ground, even if the contact was minimal, then you give the referee a decision to make.

The really simple downside for zonal marking is that the attacker picks who is marking him. 

With man 2 man the defending side decides who marks who.

So with zonal you’ve conceded an advantage before the ball is kicked

• Like 1

These two games won't make a big difference, really. If we're "brave" like yesterday again tomorrow with all the injuries then that excuse will be listened to. After that, January, even with the AFCON absentees, won't. Norwich, Burnley and Brighton should bring a lot of points and a home FA Cup match against a struggler who'll likely make several changes. 

Fail to get results in that month and I think you'll see more questions from external sources.

Keep. I don’t get the lack of patience. Get a grip people! He’s a really good manager, as good as we can get, and as good as we’ve ever had. In the current situation, he’s doing a great job. There isn’t anyone better out there for US. I’d be more than happy with mid table, with a view to push again next season with fit players. I don’t know what the rush is! If he fails at the start of next season, then make the change. He’s earned more time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dusty said:

It’s not fair to throw the young kids in the team atm, it would be awful for their confidence when the fans start booing them after we concede a corner.

Thats the lacking of any understanding from the the fans, Youth have to be tested, no  matter against which opposition...

Often the well balanced & strong characters come out against the top opposition....

You cant Shield those that have aspirations and Need to be pushed....Justin ,Thomas,Fofana....& 1000 more from around World leagues..

9 minutes ago, Corky said:

These two games won't make a big difference, really. If we're "brave" like yesterday again tomorrow with all the injuries then that excuse will be listened to. After that, January, even with the AFCON absentees, won't. Norwich, Burnley and Brighton should bring a lot of points and a home FA Cup match against a struggler who'll likely make several changes. 

Fail to get results in that month and I think you'll see more questions from external sources.

You mentioning “external sources” prompted me to think about the demise of the previous managers and whether that was due to external pressure.

Puel / Ranieri / Shaky …. The impression, for me, would be these were the board’s decision ahead of outside criticism. Then of course the rumoured “player power”.

This time around maybe player power, it it comes from KS / JV, which appears to be the likely sources, would actually be behind BR staying. I’d think both play far more now than they would under a new man?? 

So external pressure may really need to mount prior to board action?

46 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

It seems to me that he hasn't learnt much from his Liverpool time 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/8-reasons-why-brendan-rodgers-failed-liverpool

That doesn't make great reading does it? In summary.

1. Rodgers team was free scoring but couldn't defend. Something he simply couldn't sort out in his time there.

2. Rodgers attempted to replace Luiz Suarez with Alexis Sanchez/Xherden Shaqiri.....but failed.

3. Mario Balotelli was who he plumped for.

4. He wanted to replace Jordan Henderson with Clint Dempsey

5. Christian Benteke.

Couldn't sort out the defence. 

More than one disastrous transfer window and a number of expensive duds.

Sound familiar?

It isn't easy being a footballer manager and Rodgers has his good points. His weak points overtake them though and he's displayed no ability to arrest slides when they begin. His weaknesses are glaringly familiar nearly 10 years down the line.

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

The really simple downside for zonal marking is that the attacker picks who is marking him. 

With man 2 man the defending side decides who marks who.

So with zonal you’ve conceded an advantage before the ball is kicked

Very sensible.  I hope Kolo and Stowell have worked than one by now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I think it was @GingerrrFox who said Brendan is a good coach but not a great manager and I would be inclined to agree, blessed with our most talented and strongest squad but he is found tactically wanting especially in the important games, if Plan A works then great but too often even when things are going well his tweaks and changes mean we lose momentum and in the event of Plan A not working it’s not very often his Plan B or C turnaround a result. 

In his 1st year we were very good at getting a lead and staying ahead, however over the last couple of seasons and especially this season we are becoming renowned for throwing away good leads to lose games, already this season we have been pegged back from 2 goal leads in important games and that is a concerning trait, also he seems incapable of fixing our defensive frailties regardless of personnel, shape or system he introduces.

It is a growing concern of mine that he has now reached his ceiling, he joined us at a time we were entering our golden generation, excellent recruitment of young players meant we had an exciting nucleus of talented players moving towards their prime supplemented by some quality experienced players, unfortunately over the last couple of seasons we have fallen short when it looked like we were in an unassailable position to secure a  Champions league spot and now many of those talented younger players are approaching the prime of their careers and will be thinking that they may need to move on to achieve their ambitions, that means a massive rebuild could be on the cards and for me Brendan ain’t that type of manager, he is clearly a manager who builds on positive momentum and sound foundations, whilst he is an excellent coach, tactically he is found wanting. 

We are approaching another major crossroads as a club, our experienced players who have a long standing loyalty to the club are approaching their twilight years and our talented younger players now approaching their prime and a good few at a point where they will be looking at their next move. 

Brendan was a great appointment 3 years ago for where we were as a club and where we wanted to go, however 3 years on given our new training facility, the opportunity to blood more of our academy products, the horrendous injury record (a good part of which has been self inflicted), the need for more clever recruitment and to be tactically astute to develop and change game plans to win points in difficult situations, means that where we are know, Brendan is no longer the answer and as @Ric Flair says he will leave the club no better than he found it. 

Excellent post and have to agree.

I often thought latterly in Scotland he was too one dimensional and in terms of Europe he definitely was and it got us a few pastings. The thing is there was less scrutiny in that sense up here as we were so much better than everyone he still got away with it as we were winning everything and he could always play the finance card in Europe.

I got slaughtered a bit initially on here about saying how he and Barry Chuckle are pretty terrible in the transfer market but throughout his career, at several clubs I don't think there is one you could say Rodgers recruited very well at over the piece. I'm trying not to totally discredit him on the recruitment front but I think he's been fortunate at Leicester to come into a club with a recruitment model that is mature and runs, in comparison to most EPL clubs anyway, like a swiss watch. Due to that I think his transfer record has been a bit better at Leicester than at Celtic and Liverpool for example but I don't think that's his own doing.

Where he does excel as you allude to is as a coach and I think that should be his focus and he should be far more hands off in terms of recruitment (whether his ego would allow for that is another discussion). For every bad signing he made at Celtic for example there was a player he inherited that he turned from mediocre to a world beater, in terms of in Scottish football anyway. Guys like Armstrong and Boyata for example were whipping boys and the fans were desperate for them to leave. Rodgers turned these guys into very good players and both got decent moves to the EPL and Bundesliga and have acquitted themselves pretty well. Armstrong couldn't even get a game for us prior to Rodgers arriving. There are more he worked wonders with I could go on about, McGregor, Tierney, etc, etc.

• Like 3

I’ll get behind whoever is in charge because then at least as fans we are doing our bit.

The owners can do their by sacking if they need to.

Regardless of that I’m still Rodgers in camp but sort these corners out, it’s the only thing at the minute where he has no excuses for how bad we are! Let our big boys mark their big boys.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Excellent post and have to agree.

I often thought latterly in Scotland he was too one dimensional and in terms of Europe he definitely was and it got us a few pastings. The thing is there was less scrutiny in that sense up here as we were so much better than everyone he still got away with it as we were winning everything and he could always play the finance card in Europe.

I got slaughtered a bit initially on here about saying how he and Barry Chuckle are pretty terrible in the transfer market but throughout his career, at several clubs I don't think there is one you could say Rodgers recruited very well at over the piece. I'm trying not to totally discredit him on the recruitment front but I think he's been fortunate at Leicester to come into a club with a recruitment model that is mature and runs, in comparison to most EPL clubs anyway, like a swiss watch. Due to that I think his transfer record has been a bit better at Leicester than at Celtic and Liverpool for example but I don't think that's his own doing.

Where he does excel as you allude to is as a coach and I think that should be his focus and he should be far more hands off in terms of recruitment (whether his ego would allow for that is another discussion). For every bad signing he made at Celtic for example there was a player he inherited that he turned from mediocre to a world beater, in terms of in Scottish football anyway. Guys like Armstrong and Boyata for example were whipping boys and the fans were desperate for them to leave. Rodgers turned these guys into very good players and both got decent moves to the EPL and Bundesliga and have acquitted themselves pretty well. Armstrong couldn't even get a game for us prior to Rodgers arriving. There are more he worked wonders with I could go on about, McGregor, Tierney, etc, etc.

Can’t rep this post as run out for today but this is excellent 👏🏼👏🏼

3 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Keep. I don’t get the lack of patience. Get a grip people! He’s a really good manager, as good as we can get, and as good as we’ve ever had. In the current situation, he’s doing a great job. There isn’t anyone better out there for US. I’d be more than happy with mid table, with a view to push again next season with fit players. I don’t know what the rush is! If he fails at the start of next season, then make the change. He’s earned more time.

Made me laugh this did 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dusty said:

It’s not fair to throw the young kids in the team atm, it would be awful for their confidence when the fans start booing them after we concede a corner.

The game against Newcastle was just the sort of game to give a youngster 15 minutes. But he never does this and says the player is not ready.

If you do not give them a taster now and again how is he ever going to know

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

You mentioning “external sources” prompted me to think about the demise of the previous managers and whether that was due to external pressure.

Puel / Ranieri / Shaky …. The impression, for me, would be these were the board’s decision ahead of outside criticism. Then of course the rumoured “player power”.

This time around maybe player power, it it comes from KS / JV, which appears to be the likely sources, would actually be behind BR staying. I’d think both play far more now than they would under a new man?? 

So external pressure may really need to mount prior to board action?

It's clear they stopped playing for Ranieri (and completely disgraceful too). Shakespeare shouldn't have been appointed permanently and it showed in the start to the season.

Puel's results weren't terrible until his last eight or so and it was obvious the players and staff couldn't stand him.

Rodgers will be a tough one because I don't think the players have stopped playing for him or dislike him, it looks like the message, the same voice has run it's course more than anything. I think it will take a poor run of results against teams at the bottom and below us to make it clear things aren't working.

I completely understand why some fans are firmly Brendan whilst others are Brendan out. 

In his 2 full seasons in charge we have had 2 5th place finishes, won the FA Cup Final and lifted the Community Shield, this has secured 2 European campaigns in the Europa league, he deserves a huge amount of credit for that achievement. 

However where he deserves credit he also then has questions to answer, in both those seasons where we finished 5th we have collapsed from a position of real strength, whilst 5th has to be seen as success both finishes came with huge amount of disappointment, for that he is accountable. 

He is approaching 3 years in charge and his mark and influence is clearly here now, this is his squad, his back room team, his tactics and his training regime therefore for me he is truly accountable for a defensive record that is getting worse season after season, an unprecedented injury record, much of which has been caused by heavy workloads, training intensity and an unbelievable ability to carry on playing players who are injured or bringing them back too early, it is irresponsible and shows a lack of respect for the players long term welfare of duty of care. The style of play has moved away from our high press, high intensity to a more controlled, possession based style which I think has taken away some of our X factor. 

We have 22 pts from 17 games which is 1.29 pts per game, we are nearly half way through, we have the 4th worst defensive record in the league with only Newcastle, Norwich and Leeds worse than us, we have limped out of the europa league 2 seasons in a row despite favourable draws in group and knockout stages. 

Recruitment seems a bit more scattergun now, whilst Daka and Soumare seem to follow our model of younger, hungry players Betrand & Vestergard have been poor and don’t really fit our style. 

So whilst Brendan deserves the plaudits for our success there are a lot of question marks and for me the wheels have really come off we look a shambles and that also sits with him, he isn’t a manager that seems capable of building long term foundations, this season is as poor as anything served up by Puel and the trend of our form and defensive record is declining at a rate of knots which is mirroring Ranieri’s second season. 

Brendan is not and should not be above accountability for what is going wrong, his influence has never been more and this is the results it’s bearing. Therefore for me he has to be held to account and if things across the board do not improve he has to pay with his job. 

• Like 4

I think if we had no previous experience with BR, you couldn't read too much into the past few months with the amount of injuries and Covid etc. However, I think we have all seen enough of what he is about. I don't think for a second he would be setting up any different with a fully fit squad (which still wouldn't suit his boring possession game). Unfortunately he is so stubborn, he persists with the same setup using the fringe players that we have available. Never going to work and actually just shows how 2D he is.

• Like 1

When you watch parts of our game, you see his coaching abilities. The progression of young talent, our attacking play at times and you have to give him credit for the come back yesterday. Our goals were some of the best forward play you’ll see this season. 

However, his reluctance or ability to fix a basic necessity of the game is very worrying. It just seems like either he doesn’t or cannot fix it. The marking yesterday at set pieces had me screaming at the telly again. I see it and I’ve got a limited tactical brain. All the pundits seem to see it too. We all see it so why can’t he? I just don’t get it. 

• Like 4

I’m so divided. On the one hand I don’t think anyone else would be doing any better with the injuries we have. On the other I’m still baffled after a third season here he’s not sorted our dreadful defending from set pieces. If he stays till the end of the season we’ll finish mid table. Genuine question would we finish any higher with anyone else in charge. I really don’t know. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I’m so divided. On the one hand I don’t think anyone else would be doing any better with the injuries we have. On the other I’m still baffled after a third season here he’s not sorted our dreadful defending from set pieces. If he stays till the end of the season we’ll finish mid table. Genuine question would we finish any higher with anyone else in charge. I really don’t know. 

Mid-table is a good season for Leicester of old and for the current squad and set up

We have at least 9 teams with richer owners and deeper pockets .we can expect to have better and worse seasons and the occasional European campaign along with cup wins.Next season will be a lot better with the injuries clearing up.Maybe this was the point Brendon was making ref the over achievement. 

• Like 1

He annoys me with some of his decisions but I'd rather judge after he has fielded a team like this again - only 2 fully fit from what I would reckon our best starting 11 - with a 2nd team, staying in mid table will be an achievement 

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Fofana

Soyoncu

Justin

N'Didi

Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Edited by seenitall
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Mid-table is a good season for Leicester of old and for the current squad and set up

We have at least 9 teams with richer owners and deeper pockets .we can expect to have better and worse seasons and the occasional European campaign along with cup wins.Next season will be a lot better with the injuries clearing up.Maybe this was the point Brendon was making ref the over achievement. 

Let's put that one into context. 

Newcastle are one of those clubs and have not been able to spend any money from their new ownership. 

Everton l, also one of those clubs have spent millions on dross and now have issues with financial fair play. 

Aston Villa were promoted not long ago with a very thin squad so had to spend millions just to have a chance of staying up. They are now sat alongside us in the table. 

Wolves for me have a good squad but I'd still rather have our's. 

I am growing frustrated with Rodgers but aslong as we are mid-table and there is no chance of us going down then I think I am just about willing to accept this season as a write-off and review the situation in the summer. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

You say that but in recent years we’ve won more than the so called bigger clubs - Everton and spurs. I know Everton really aren’t but history suggests differently. It’s difficult because a new manager will get us either finishing top 8 or worse case scenario bottom half. I want Rodgers to turn us around but I’m not convinced.