Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

33 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Why would it mean the end ? Get in a manager who's football philosophy will get theses players motivated, confident and excited again.

They would not want to leave then.

It feels to me that this team has reached the end of it's cycle, for whatever reason. Some already have their eyes on their next club and/or are reaching the red zone in terms of running their contract down. Others who with the benefit of hindsight are regressing and probably should have been moved on at their peak value to ensure a transitional period never materialised such as one that feels like it's coming.

I'd be surprised if any manager could come in and get this team back to the heights of the last two years without significant surgery in terms of recruitment.

All of the above means the spotlight shines ever more brightly on Rodgers as there are serious question marks around whether he is fit for purpose to undertake such a rebuild and perform well in the transfer market, left to his own devices of course.

• Like 2

Trying to think of core players that Rodgers has signed since he came here. Fofana , who was the most expensive teenage defender in PL history and James Justin, his one true bargain. Otherwise we have a whole group who are not among the first names on the team list, Perez, Praet, Vestergaard, Castagne, Bertrand, Soumaré and even Daka. Arguably he has strengthened our bench but the main men all precede him coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SixtiesFox said:

Unless we are dragged into a relegation scrap another five games in, and that's highly unlikely given the dross languishing towards the bottom end of the PL, Top and co have the luxury of taking their time to decide which way to go next. They can afford Rodgers more time to turn things around while developing a contingency plan re the appointment of a new coach before the summer if he falls to do so. Rodgers has every chance of turning things around as a top half finish and a European final is still well within our grasp given the talent he has at his disposal. However, in order to achieve these ambitions he will need to park his own ego and focus on what is best for the club and focus a little less on what is best for promoting brand Rodgers. I feel this is his achilles heel, and is the main reason why he has divided our fan base.

Really does depend who they want as their next manager… if someone on their shortlist was being targeted by another club, you can’t sit on your hands and just think every manager wants to manage us…

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Trying to think of core players that Rodgers has signed since he came here. Fofana , who was the most expensive teenage defender in PL history and James Justin, his one true bargain. Otherwise we have a whole group who are not among the first names on the team list, Perez, Praet, Vestergaard, Castagne, Bertrand, Soumaré and even Daka. Arguably he has strengthened our bench but the main men all precede him coming.

Maybe that just shows that we are not the massive attraction we like to think we are, or that we do not have the budget to buy the best players so have to make riskier purchases. I don't think you can blame the manager here, I'm certain he would love to buy the absolute best players out there in an ideal world.

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

A lot of parallels with the players he signed at Celtic in that sense. Sinclair and Dembele (who was already a done deal prior to his arrival) aside.

1 minute ago, Bablemikey said:

Maybe that just shows that we are not the massive attraction we like to think we are, or that we do not have the budget to buy the best players so have to make riskier purchases. I don't think you can blame the manager here, I'm certain he would love to buy the absolute best players out there in an ideal world.

I don't think it's about that tbh. I get that because of the lofty league position he has become a victim of his own success to an extent and with that it becomes harder to bring in players who'll improve on that again. However, in 3+ years at the club, with the level of money in the EPL at his disposal I would have expected 2 or 3 of any managers signings in that time become nailed on first team mainstays.

11 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

There have been an inordinate amount of poor signings and some appear to be because of blind panic. I'm thinking of Vestergaard, Bertrand and Soumare in particular who have not really helped our cause. That with the terrible and abnormal amount of injuries is it any surprise we find ourselves in the position we are in?

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I think its generous as now days 2 years of bad form is a very long time to give a manager.  More often 10 bad games is enough for someone to lose their job.

Off you're head. If you keep sacking managers like that you just end up going down. Most top flight regulars have stability.

The thinking was that Rodgers with his extraordinary coaching skills , which I am not at all convinced about , would turn the promising or underrated into top class players. Our top class players , Pereira, Evans, Ndidi, Tielemans , Maddison and Vardy were already of a high standard. Chilwell, Barnes, Thomas and KDH were at the club long before he came. Has he made them play better? Perhaps any sensible manager could have done that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

There have been an inordinate amount of poor signings and some appear to be because of blind panic. I'm thinking of Vestergaard, Bertrand and Soumare in particular who have not really helped our cause. That with the terrible and abnormal amount of injuries is it any surprise we find ourselves in the position we are in?

I'm reserving judgment on Soumare. He's young, moved to a foreign country and a new league. Some players take a while to settle and he seems to have the attributes to eventually become a success. He's strong, quick, from the clips in France he's good on the ball, and we've seen a few glimpse of him carry the ball forward well. I just think he needs a while to settle and adapt.

The other two are 30 plus, played in this country for years and should be able to slot in seamlessly. I feel sorry for Vestergaard a little as he doesn't suit our style, but both of them, especially Bertrand have not looked arsed since they arrived. The minimum I ask for is effort.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Off you're head. If you keep sacking managers like that you just end up going down. Most top flight regulars have stability.

We're better than a fair few in the league for that to be fair. Rodgers at Leicester is the sixth longest serving manager in the league and three of the five managers above him in that list are virtually unsackable (Klopp, Guardiola and Dyche). 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We're better than a fair few in the league for that to be fair. Rodgers at Leicester is the sixth longest serving manager in the league and three of the five managers above him in that list are virtually unsackable (Klopp, Guardiola and Dyche). 

I do accept that this is quite misleading, as only recently has there been any questions mark about his performance here. As frustrating as the end of season drop-offs were, they were not sackable offences and rightfully his job was not under threat. 

14 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Agreed and thankfully we are. As I mentioned previously, Pearson went through months of poor form (remember when we were fighting for promotion in Feb then ended up fighting for the play offs come May) but thankfully he was allowed to stay and sort everything out to get the next season right.

People are off their heads if they genuinely think 10 games of poor results is enough to sack a manager.

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Agreed and thankfully we are. As I mentioned previously, Pearson went through months of poor form (remember when we were fighting for promotion in Feb then ended up fighting for the play offs come May) but thankfully he was allowed to stay and sort everything out to get the next season right.

People are off their heads if they genuinely think 10 games of poor results is enough to sack a manager.

We also went 3 months without a win from beating Man Utd 5-3 to Dec when we beat Hull (?). 

Then Pearson was given time and we escaped with ease in the end. 

May argue there were vastly different circumstances but the similarity of giving someone time is there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

In fairness, people are basing their opinions on Rodgers's previous jobs, which I think is completely reasonable. That was a huge thing which turned me when it came to Claudio. There was a clear pattern throughout his career of his teams going on horrid runs and him being sacked after one year and a half into the job. 

55 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I am not the one sacking these managers, just saying how I see it.  A bad run of 10 games and it often means curtains now days.

Looking at ourselves, we dont sack Pearson probably no title.  Dont sack Sven, probably no promotion, Dont sack Claudio, potential relegation, we seemed to be heading that way, Dont sack Puel (we wasnt in danger of relegation, so deffo a harsh one by your standards), no Rodgers.

Norwich who show loyalty, kept going down, might survive now after sacking their manager, is a tough one to call, Aston Villa clear improvement after sacking, Wolves, LCFC women do I need to say anything on them?  So it can work both ways.  In all the years I have watched football though there tends to be a point of no return eventually for managers, with a few exceptions, granted Rodgers did surprise me when he came back after the first end of season collapse, but this one feels very different to that one and has extra problems tied in with the form.

As far as our current run of bad form, its well past the 10 game point.  The reference was nothing to do with our situation.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

More than 10 games of poor results though isn't it?

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

More than 10 games of poor results though isn't it?

Just quoting the original poster who specified 10 games. Yeah of course this season has been inconsistent, I've never said anything other than how poor we've been this season.

11 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I am not the one sacking these managers, just saying how I see it.  A bad run of 10 games and it often means curtains now days.

I think if we're honest, the bad results and performances stretch back into last season, the poor performances certainly have and some of our wins have flattered to deceive. 

• Like 3