Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Brendan is Brendan - no one is surely surprised by his character traits - they aren’t a secret

congerton - Celtic fans had their low opinion. I was told straight up by a sland fan I know that congers had to be on the take (allegedly)  - 

a summary of his business at sland 

https://www.wearewearside.com/article/2017/3/lee-congerton-s-sunderland-legacy-in-transfers

Along with Sunderland fans, Hamburg fans and wherever else he's been.

The high profile recruitment meeting notes from the meeting he was chairing that were leaked were the most embaressing, amateur hour thing ever.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He is a top class coach imo, but it's subjective and not a very evidenced backed thing to counter when things are now turning to sh!t a fair bit under him now.

It feels like the whole debate, on both sides in some instances is all getting a bit personal. It's fine to praise him when things are going well, as many have done, but when things turn to sh!t he's up there to be shot at, that's how it works in football, it's fickle and ruthless.

It’s true, but after the subsidence of the enmity of him leaving, was there recognition of what you had achieved under his stewardship? Makes me wonder that if it went as sour at Celtic, would he have been afforded time to redeem himself?

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

It’s true, but after the subsidence of the enmity of him leaving, was there recognition of what you had achieved under his stewardship? Makes me wonder that if it went as sour at Celtic, would he have been afforded time to redeem himself?

A good point mate, I think we are comparing apples and oranges a tad though. I think he would have got more time at Celtic and would have had a greater chance of turning things round if there was a big slide.  The main reason being, he's essentially got one other side to be better than in our league, he has more resources in our league than any other team. For example, losing a league to Rangers and then trying to win it back is a far easier ask than Leicester say dropping the 11th or 12th and getting them back where they were into 5th and winning trophies etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

A good point mate, I think we are comparing apples and oranges a tad though. I think he would have got more time at Celtic and would have had a greater chance of turning things round if there was a big slide.  The main reason being, he's essentially got one other side to be better than in our league, he has more resources in our league than any other team. For example, losing a league to Rangers and then trying to win it back is a far easier ask than Leicester say dropping the 11th or 12th and getting them back where they were into 5th and winning trophies etc.

So you think it would be easier for Celtic to instantly respond to a Rangers title win, yet strangely the expectations are that much higher here where, by your admission, climbing from 11th/12th into the top 6 is that much harder.

Maybe that’s exactly what you are saying though:thumbup: 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

So you think it would be easier for Celtic to instantly respond to a Rangers title win, yet strangely the expectations are that much higher here where, by your admission, climbing from 11th/12th into the top 6 is that much harder.

Maybe that’s exactly what you are saying though:thumbup: 

Yeah exactly that, I think for any manager, climbing from 11/12th in England to top 6 and staying there for a couple of seasons is far harder than coming in at Celtic and being asked to win the league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah exactly that, I think for any manager, climbing from 11/12th in England to top 6 and staying there for a couple of seasons is far harder than coming in at Celtic and being asked to win the league.

Current tables proves your point nicely. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Context....

We have a squad with far greater depth than in those two seasons...We've even had to loan out a Belgium International and leave an AFCON winner unregistered.

Can you remember last season in the Europe League?

After being out for two months with a Groin injury, Soyuncu played for 15 minutes and had to be withdrawn with a groin injury.

The same game, Pereira who had just came back from a cruciate ligament injury with 9 months out, was injured before half time.

Now we've got Justin, another guy coming back from a very long cruciate ligament lay off...And again he's out with an issue from being overplayed.

Ndidi has suffered the same fate too in the past.

How many times in the past 2 years have Evans/Castagne been out for a few weeks, then immediately being set back when returning?

With your example of players 'Not being machines', you couldn't have used a worse example, as somehow, Youri is the exception to rule under Rodgers. He is constantly overplayed, but we've been very very lucky with him.

Where to start?

Truthfully, I can’t be bothered. Youri? It’s well known that like eg Drinkwater, he needs to/wants to play every minute.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Are your initials CH by chance?

4 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Context....

We have a squad with far greater depth than in those two seasons...We've even had to loan out a Belgium International and leave an AFCON winner unregistered.

Can you remember last season in the Europe League?

After being out for two months with a Groin injury, Soyuncu played for 15 minutes and had to be withdrawn with a groin injury.

The same game, Pereira who had just came back from a cruciate ligament injury with 9 months out, was injured before half time.

Now we've got Justin, another guy coming back from a very long cruciate ligament lay off...And again he's out with an issue from being overplayed.

Ndidi has suffered the same fate too in the past.

How many times in the past 2 years have Evans/Castagne been out for a few weeks, then immediately being set back when returning?

With your example of players 'Not being machines', you couldn't have used a worse example, as somehow, Youri is the exception to rule under Rodgers. He is constantly overplayed, but we've been very very lucky with him.

They must be over trained too

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

....I would have thought he would have been looking for the nearest exit!!!

He would have had nothing to gain had he stayed on at Celtic. Competing with Gerard for the title would have been everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain. The job at Leicester came at the best time for him, he seems to know when to move on. 

• Like 1

If we were to lose to Burnley and Leeds, I think Rodgers will be out and quite rightly so. Regardless of injuries, we still on paper have far better players than both those teams and if Rodgers can't get a tune out of them, someone else will have to quite quickly now.

I'm not suggesting for one minute we'd want Dyche as Rodgers replacement but, if you compare the two, I don't think Rodgers would have been capable of doing the sort of job at Burnley Dyche has done over the years with what has been made available to him. Rodgers, in his last three jobs, has always arrived in a situation where a very decent squad has already been assembled. For me at least, there's no evidence that he's ever really improved those squads in order to take them forward let alone compete in Europe. 

There are several facets required to be a so called 'elite' manager and whilst Rodgers may well be an excellent man manager and coach in some aspects of that part of the job, there are other areas now in which he's been exposed as being severely lacking. Man management and a silver tongue can only take him so far. Once the scales have fallen from some people's eyes in football, unless I'm very mistaken, he'll never be a huge elite success in this country at least. 

11 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

You're completely right....

Which is why I don't think realistically, anyone can hold too much weight to a manager's achievements in Scotland whilst managing Celtic or Rangers....You're effectively, compared to the rest of the pyramid up there, managing 'Man City in Scotland', when in charge of either of the clubs.

I was actually just reading an article online about Rodgers's signings at Celtic....They look terrible!

Dembele, Edouard, Sinclair and Ntcham clearly had a good impact, but he made over a dozen signings which were just a complete waste of finances.

My worry with Rodgers in his managerial career, is that I've never seen him successfully establish his own 'Project'.

I've seen him continue Roberto Martinez's at Swansea....

I've seen him continue at Celtic, a club which won the league 5 consecutive seasons before he arrived....Which then collapsed the season after Rodgers left, suggesting to me what Rodgers put in place, was far inferior to what Martinez left him at Swansea.

I've seen him at Liverpool, completely fail to produce his own side, when the one he inherited was taken apart.

But evidence of him 'building' a team/squad successfully? With his recruitment record at every club, including here, that's never going to be possible.

Our best and most important players, are still the ones that were here before he arrived.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just out of curiosity I thought I would take a look!!!

Have been looking at this forum with interest over the last couple of weeks as I'm a Celtic fan and wanted to gauge how Rodgers would be received.

I have no axe to grind with Leicester although I must say there's a bitter taste in the mouth with Rodgers directly, not because he left, but how he left and how his actions were very different to what he professed.

Anyhow all that aside and leaving personal feelings out of I've seen a lot of playground stuff on this thread, my Dad is bigger than yours type stuff among Leicester and Celtic fans so thought I'd give an honest appraisal of Rodgers during his time at Celtic as a feeler of what's in store for you.

The guy is a top class coach, one of the very best, of that there is no doubt, what you will most definitely get with him is he'll bring on the players you already have, particularly the younger ones leaps and bounds, he's done that ad infinitum with our squad.

The flip-side of that would be his identification and acquisition of new players to come in and enhance the squad.  He falls pretty short here in my opinion in that most of the signings he's made in his time here have been poor bar 2 or 3.  The side he has left us with is undoubtedly better than the one he inherited but that is 99% down to his ability as a coach in developing players, not his transfer business, as the majority of the side was players he inherited.  His record in this regard was also poor at Liverpool, particularly when he had the Suarez money so I'd beware on this front.  This makes it even more critical he doesn't bring his charlatan of a crony Congerton with him who is a disaster.  I get the impression if you could keep Rodgers on a leash in terms of transfers under a good DOF/HOR this may be less of a risk.

In terms of his style/philosophy it is great to watch when it works and I've witnessed some excellent performances and very memorable moments during his two and a half years.  The other side of this is that he's very stubborn in his philosophy and sometimes to his detriment.  For example in Europe he insisted on playing the elite sides at their own game and we got a sore face more than once and we ended up with record home and away defeats under him.  I get the argument that we can't compete with these teams but we've had managers in recent times who have had a lot less to spend and performed a whole lot better in Europe.  All in all his record in Europe with us was pretty poor, as it was with Liverpool.  The reason I say this you may end up on the receiving end of a few doings off the big boys at home and abroad due to his stubborness in this regard as he insists on playing too expansively against teams who are a lot stronger.

Off the field he was like a breath of fresh air initially, however as time goes on you get the feeling he says too much and as such contradicts himself which lands him in trouble with the media and fans and he doesn't like then being questioned on it.  I think a large part of this is that he undoubtedly has a bit of an ego and feels he can just say what he likes at times, prepare for a lot of cliches and quotes in that regard lol!

One thing I'm going to find interesting watching from afar is that I've read one of the reasons Puel was bagged was the slow build up play and not getting the ball forward quickly enough to play to Vardy's strengths.  I'm not sure how true a reflection that is but if true Rodgers style isn't too much different, prepare for a lot of sidweays passing and backwards passing at times when things aren't clicking 100%.  He also seems to like big physical, mobile strikers who play well with their back to goal (e.g. Dembele) so will be interested to see how he uses/fits in Vardy.

As said no agenda tried to give an honest and balanced  opinion based on watching his team week in week out for 2.5 years.  If everything works out it will go brilliantly and you'll be watching great football every week, I get the feeling however if it doesn't there'll be no middle ground.

Edited 7 March 2019 by henrik_62

Superb post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

If we were to lose to Burnley and Leeds, I think Rodgers will be out and quite rightly so. Regardless of injuries, we still on paper have far better players than both those teams and if Rodgers can't get a tune out of them, someone else will have to quite quickly now.

I'm not suggesting for one minute we'd want Dyche as Rodgers replacement but, if you compare the two, I don't think Rodgers would have been capable of doing the sort of job at Burnley Dyche has done over the years with what has been made available to him. Rodgers, in his last three jobs, has always arrived in a situation where a very decent squad has already been assembled. For me at least, there's no evidence that he's ever really improved those squads in order to take them forward let alone compete in Europe. 

There are several facets required to be a so called 'elite' manager and whilst Rodgers may well be an excellent man manager and coach in some aspects of that part of the job, there are other areas now in which he's been exposed as being severely lacking. Man management and a silver tongue can only take him so far. Once the scales have fallen from some people's eyes in football, unless I'm very mistaken, he'll never be a huge elite success in this country at least. 

I think a loss to Burnley will do it. It will be at that point the board realize they cannot wait until the end of the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Honestly could see Conte walking away in next 7-14 days and Brendan being on Spurs wanted list, he was top choice in summer and this could be the perfect solution for us, reckon we would accept greatly reduced compo package at this point. 

Wishful thinking sadly, I don't think Spurs or Man Utd will touch him now until he's left us and is an in season easy choice with zero outlet upfront.

Which is why I don't think realistically, anyone can hold too much weight to a manager's achievements in Scotland whilst managing Celtic or Rangers....You're effectively, compared to the rest of the pyramid up there, managing 'Man City in Scotland', when in charge of either of the clubs.

I was actually just reading an article online about Rodgers's signings at Celtic....They look terrible!

Dembele, Edouard, Sinclair and Ntcham clearly had a good impact, but he made over a dozen signings which were just a complete waste of finances.

My worry with Rodgers in his managerial career, is that I've never seen him successfully establish his own 'Project'.

I've seen him continue at Celtic, a club which won the league 5 consecutive seasons before he arrived....Which then collapsed the season after Rodgers left, suggesting to me what Rodgers put in place, was far inferior to what Martinez left him at Swansea.

I've seen him at Liverpool, completely fail to produce his own side, when the one he inherited was taken apart.

But evidence of him 'building' a team/squad successfully? With his recruitment record at every club, including here, that's never going to be possible.

Our best and most important players, are still the ones that were here before he arrived.

I don't think it's as black and white as that, although it's a weak league what Rodgers done domestically in winning every trophy almost three years on the spin is incredible in any environment at any level of football. I'm agreeing and disagreeing with you to a point as although that is an amazing achievement I don't think it's a good gauge as to how a manager would do with a club, with say middling resources in the EPL. What is a decent gauge imo though on how someone managing Celtic would fare in one of the top league's is how they perform in Europe as the scenario there isn't too much different from managing a middling club in a bigger league.

Ntcham over the piece doesn;t go down as a success, he had some good games but they were accompanied by 9 or 10 stinkers and we ended up letting him go for free.

The stuff about  him building his own side, I think you are absolutely spot on.

• Like 1

I'm very much Brendan out. However, i think this point is unfair. 

That team that finished second was his team. Sturridge, Coutinho were big signings. His rebuild after that was a disaster but he produce his own side but for whatever reason wasnt able to do it again. Injuries didnt help. Also, he made mistakes while there - I'm not denying that. 

All said and done. I dont trust him with out rebuild or our side so maybe this isnt a point worth arguing as I seem to agree with you otherwise.