Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

If we do not secure 3pts tomorrow (with Chelsea next up) and Fofana about to be sold.  We are in very serious trouble.  What happens in the next 12 days could be a defining moment in where this Club is heading in the next years.   We are near to Peter Taylor territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm fascinated by the correlation between last summer being the biggest net spend for many years and not a single player was signed to improve the starting XI. Who's idea was that? Is this where the club have finally got fed up with Rodgers given the extremely low number of signings made in the last 3 years that get in our team when everyone's fit?

Before anyone starts it's clear that Daka and Soumare were succession planning players and not squad fillers but Rodgers comments and the way he's perhaps handled new signings might well have caused our board to question what on earth is the point in keep giving him funds for him and Congerton to blow. They did the same at Celtic, this is almost word for word what @Muzzy_Larsson said on a number of occasions when Rodgers came here and many didn't want to hear it.

Remember the "Brendan , we are so lucky to have him" thread . Would make an interesting read now. Rodgers is an above average manager but never, never as good as some on here thought.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Listening to Brendan’s press conference - he’s quite obviously fuming at the lack of activity. Sounds like he was pretty sure he would be able to do so, and had his targets sorted with his scouting department.

For him to then be told that can’t happen is crap communication within the club - as much as I acknowledge it’s prudent to operate in the way we are.

Unfortunately both sides (board and Rodgers) have legitimate grievances and that makes excuses very easy to use.

Said it before, this only ends one way 

...no doubt Rodgers would have voiced the same dissatisfaction privately to Top, regarding the inability to bring players in!!!

Surprised he ( Rodgers) came out and publicly continued to emphasize his part in the recruitment, in regards to making calls to various "targets" looking to close the deals. It seems he is intent to go to war with the club, in the sense of putting out a better narrative, and the media and outward perception would rather take on board, that we are no longer a viable place for him to be, and he has now outgrown us.

Very much like Puel at Southampton, the perception was why on earth would you look to release him, after he has achieved for you, one of, if not the best finish and season in your history. The majority of supporters look at their own club and have a cursory glance at the world outside, and have little knowledge of the internal machinations that surrounds them. We saw the potential of Puel's managerial ability when he first started but later came face to face with the side of him that prevented any long-term associations.

This situation cannot be allowed to continue with the club and Rodgers seemingly telling the same story, only with different points of view. We seem to be in a holding pattern and I am not sure what we are waiting for!! 

14 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Brendan talks a good game, about high intensity and pressing.. we have flashes of this but don’t be fooled into thinking we are as good as he makes out.

There are a lot of teams out there without Brendan Rodgers and there’s some out there who manage a lot better. Thanks for the memories Brendan, but it’s time to go

People on here are moaning he doesn’t give the players any praise and your saying we’re not as good as he makes out..

which one is it? Are we crap and been overachieving with him at the helm or are we good and he’s dragging us down. Guy can’t win

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d argue that since Brendan arrived here, only Tuchel on that list of managers who are paid less than Rodgers can claim to have had a better 3 years and that is debatable.

It's a fair point but I don't think it tells the whole story. It's more where the club is now and where it's headed. Look at West Ham for example, they have similarly over the past three years punched above their weight, not to the same degree of success as Leicester but they look more equipped to sustain it and are continuing to improve their squad, etc. They might not sustain it of course but it's hard to say that they don't look better equipped to stay around 6th-8th for the next few seasons than Leicester do, as much as it pains me to say that. Leicester on the other hand look on a downward trajectory in the short term at least while Rodgers is around and the whole recruitment operation is in a state of deadlock due to him cluttering up the wage bill with dross that he no longer even trusts.

• Like 1

We won't see it this transfer window sadly but I'm curious to see how much better recruitment is under Glover. It's pretty clear that we signed some absolute duffers under Congerton. Perhaps Brendan and Congerton worked a bit too closely, hopefully Glover and BR might challenge each other a bit more and we won't be in the same position where we sign total dross we can't get rid of.

For what it's worth, I think Brendan gets a bit too much stick for last year's recruitment. He's just a cog in the wheel of that particular process.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 2

Just watched highlights of the game between Hibs and Celtic back when Brendan was Celtics manager, on Sky Sports. Celtic went into a comfortable 2-0 lead. Two goals from Scott Sinclair looked very comfortable. The game ended 2-2 with Hibs missing a last minute chance due to it being cleared off the line. The similarity between that Celtic side and ours is frightening. 

The issues many are complaining about Brendan are doing so because its habit and normal during a Brendan reign. Just watch that game and you can see it. Add to that Celtic fans were on here complaining about his transfer mishaps its part and parcel of a Brendan Rodgers reign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

This is what annoys me. Fans are frustrated with summer activity, so is Rodgers. Opinions are aligned, but the fans still point the finger at BR. Just seems to be barking up the wrong tree - it's quite obvious that this situation isn't ideal for him either. 

The money people at the club are the one's who need the finger pointing at. 

Wooah, don't throw all of us in there :D

I'm delighted we're not doing any business, it's better for the club in the long term.

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that conversation if Top turned round and said something like, "well to be blunt it's you that's got us here, insisting we hold onto all our top players and giving them massive new contracts while at the same time pissing transfer funds and more wages up against the wall by signing players that probably 90% of which have been failures and you no longer trust to play."

Why should Top give him more money to splurge given the evidence thus far?

Like I said way at the start for Rodgers to be a success in terms of recruitment he had to work within the existing recruitment machine, which let's be frank was the envy of a lot of clubs all across Europe, so if he had left his ego at the door I'm sure that would have continued to work swimmingly. Soon as you give in to his whims and allow him to dictate recruitment it ends in disaster, it's been the same at all his clubs, it's not a big surprise. The writing was on the wall when he was allowed to bring in his crony Congerton.

Marvin Compper and Jannick Vestegaard - Congerton/Brendan masterclass

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

West Ham appear to have done the same this summer (time will tell) - it's what happens when you reach that level but can't break the glass ceiling to the top 6. 

Not spending some of that money on a right-winger was criminal, though. 

Scamacca is not being signed for the future, nor is Aguerd. 

I don't really have an issue too much with succession signings, we did it with Soyuncu and Justin. I did query just how much we needed Soumare as a priority signing given our weakness out wide and I'm not sure Brendan's ever really wanted him. The positional signings of CB and LB (ignoring who was signed) as experienced cover made sense but obviously there's plenty more scope for those to be massive flops. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Scamacca is not being signed for the future, nor is Aguerd. 

I don't really have an issue too much with succession signings, we did it with Soyuncu and Justin. I did query just how much we needed Soumare as a priority signing given our weakness out wide and I'm not sure Brendan's ever really wanted him. The positional signings of CB and LB (ignoring who was signed) as experienced cover made sense but obviously there's plenty more scope for those to be massive flops. 

Experienced cover should really be the lowest risk signing you can make. The player should be on relatively low wages and usually out of contract or available on a free. Bertrand on 30k p/w would have been more acceptable.

Signing a 4th choice CB for £15 million surely has to be some kind of money laundering operation. Get someone in on loan or sign a 34-35 year old old who's got another season in them as cover.

18 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It's a fair point but I don't think it tells the whole story. It's more where the club is now and where it's headed. Look at West Ham for example, they have similarly over the past three years punched above their weight, not to the same degree of success as Leicester but they look more equipped to sustain it and are continuing to improve their squad, etc. They might not sustain it of course but it's hard to say that they don't look better equipped to stay around 6th-8th for the next few seasons than Leicester do, as much as it pains me to say that. Leicester on the other hand look on a downward trajectory in the short term at least while Rodgers is around and the whole recruitment operation is in a state of deadlock due to him cluttering up the wage bill with dross that he no longer even trusts.

Not convinced about W Ham.

They have taken, 33 points form the last 29 games, and have won 1 in the last 9. (PL only)

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Experienced cover should really be the lowest risk signing you can make. The player should be on relatively low wages and usually out of contract or available on a free. Bertrand on 30k p/w would have been more acceptable.

Signing a 4th choice CB for £15 million surely has to be some kind of money laundering operation. Get someone in on loan or sign a 34-35 year old old who's got another season in them as cover.

What I meant by proper cover players are that they can be seen as flops because they barely get used or if they are forced to play a lot and aren't good enough to be relied upon week in, week out that they will be seen as poor signings. But I agree on the whole. 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not convinced about W Ham.

They have taken, 33 points form the last 29 games, and have won 1 in the last 9. (PL only)

Yes I'm curious what's happening there. They managed to hold on to a top 7 place but scratch the surface and heyve been very ordinary for a while and yet have and continue to spend significant money.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What I meant by proper cover players are that they can be seen as flops because they barely get used or if they are forced to play a lot and aren't good enough to be relied upon week in, week out that they will be seen as poor signings. But I agree on the whole. 

As in 2nd choice players that would be immediate cover for the usual starting XI?

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes I'm curious what's happening there. They managed to hold on to a top 7 place but scratch the surface and heyve been very ordinary for a while and yet have and continue to spend significant money.

They seem to struggled with depth outside of their first XI. 

Scamacca will eventually solve their striker issue when Antonio is crocked. Their defence looks lightweight (although perhaps Kehrer will fill that gap). Midfield is alright with Bowen and Rice - lose one of them and it looks only okay. Lanzini and Fornals seem inconsistent. 

I don't mind then progressing in Europe to knockouts if it means their league form falters. 

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

As in 2nd choice players that would be immediate cover for the usual starting XI?

More like 3rd or 4th choice, that's what Bertrand and Vestergaard were likely to be. Pointless signings really, certainly for the money.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

More like 3rd or 4th choice, that's what Bertrand and Vestergaard were likely to be. Pointless signings really, certainly for the money.

In hindsight sure, but if Jonny would have been more broken we would have needed someone, might not have needed to be Jannick mind

Bertrand was just weird, although even then with JJ out, Rickys fitness and doubts over Luke;s capability....

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

That's why I wouldn't spend a lot on players like that. Pearson was clever in constantly bringing in new older faces with good mentality and personality to cover positions. Get your prime cream in the 1st and 2nd choice roles and then either you have youngsters or experienced pros, either of which should be relatively cheap.

At least that way when you do have an injury crisis you can point to the fact that you're then relying on inexperience or old legs. Rather than complaining about an "injury crisis" yet still being able to name a team of international players.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

For what it's worth, I think Brendan gets a bit too much stick for last year's recruitment. He's just a cog in the wheel of that particular 

So according to Brodgers, the club led him to believe he’d be able to sign players this summer, before then telling him when pre-season training began that he wouldn’t.

Does this sound likely? I’ve no idea. I would have hoped our transfer planning would be more organised than that.

Certainly I can’t think of anything that happened around mid-to-late June that would have affected the financial outlook for the club. The whole thing sounds bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

In hindsight sure, but if Jonny would have been more broken we would have needed someone, might not have needed to be Jannick mind

Bertrand was just weird, although even then with JJ out, Rickys fitness and doubts over Luke;s capability....

You can't just fill your squad with overpaid average players incase of injuries though. Especially us. I mean we're literally seeing why that's the case now.

I can't speak for other people, but if the squad was sensibly balanced and we were in a position where we have a 17 year old and a 36 year old playing together because we're missing 4 CBs. Then I'd be understanding of that. Although I would be questioning how 4 CBs all got injured at the same time :D

• Like 1