Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

13 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Rodgers splurging of funds and wages have been the main factor in arriving at this point. What should the owners do, become fiscally irresponsible and spend money the club obviously doesn't have?

Again, Rodgers does not agree transfer fees or negotiate players wages

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Was Soyuncu better than Maguire? Ndidi better than Kante? Anyone better than Mahrez? Castagne better than Chilwell.

We’ve rarely bought better than what we had, we we did was get a capable replacement and then strengthened another area of the team to improve to collective

And that is what makes us tick. It is the way we should always continue to do things. We as fans get emotional when a player wants to leave - I do and I'm a grown ass man. But that emotion, is just what it is. Tielemans shouldve gone last year - as a legend. He will go either this year or next and instead of being fully remembered for two years of exceptional contribution, including the FA cup goal, he will have it tarred with what has been a piss poor contribution for 12 months +. Fofana, as much I wouldve wanted him for a year more, should go this year. £75/80m is too good a deal for us to turn down. 

Its a model that works. Look at Dortmund this summer, they sold Haaland who is better than either of the two I mentioned. Man City will sell (if they sell him) for nearly double what they have paid. He was their main man - that hurts, selling him. But look what they have bought Adeyemi, Haller, Sule and Schlotterbeck. Two of those players will contribute to their team for the next five years (Haller and Sule) and the other two will fetch them a handsome profit in a year or two. They'll then use that profit to further enhance their team. Ok, the Budesliga is an easier league and getting CL football is far easier. However, they have sold, improved in a few areas and remain competitive for their remit. This is what we were doing. Now, we seem to be holding on and adding alongside the youth (Soumare, Daka) over priced, expensive "experience" (Vestegaard, Bertrand). Both of the latter to neither of what Haller and Sule will do for Dortmund and neither will aid the development (ie taking pressure of them) of the other two. 

The mistakes are alarming and should be criticised. 

• Like 1

For those that believe there is a power struggle between Rodgers and the board with regards to funds:

“Any manager or coach will tell you that if you’re bringing in new players you want to do that in pre-season. You then get to work with people and put things in place. We hope that we can still bring in good players, which we believe we can.”
Rodgers also defended the club’s approach to this transfer window, despite his frustration that he has not been able to go through with his planned squad refresh. He says the hierarchy are thinking solely of City’s long-term financial health.
He said: “I think it’s been highlighted even more because it seems like everyone is signing lots of players. At the moment this club is looking after the long-term sustainability and I don’t think you can argue against that.
“It’s very frustrating for supporters because they want to see players come in. Normally at this stage of the season there’s a great excitement around a club and a team because of the new players that are in.
“The board and people who run the club are looking after the future of the club and you can’t disregard that.”

Pitch that against what people believe Rodgers is saying and what Tuchel is actually saying / acting like despite his board already backing him with £170m thus far and willing to go to £300m

Its quoted Tuchel is very annoyed by the fact they are not active on the transfer market with regards to the newel linked players, so basically he’s saying just pay what they asking I want these players here now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

And that is what makes us tick. It is the way we should always continue to do things. We as fans get emotional when a player wants to leave - I do and I'm a grown ass man. But that emotion, is just what it is. Tielemans shouldve gone last year - as a legend. He will go either this year or next and instead of being fully remembered for two years of exceptional contribution, including the FA cup goal, he will have it tarred with what has been a piss poor contribution for 12 months +. Fofana, as much I wouldve wanted him for a year more, should go this year. £75/80m is too good a deal for us to turn down. 

Its a model that works. Look at Dortmund this summer, they sold Haaland who is better than either of the two I mentioned. Man City will sell (if they sell him) for nearly double what they have paid. He was their main man - that hurts, selling him. But look what they have bought Adeyemi, Haller, Sule and Schlotterbeck. Two of those players will contribute to their team for the next five years (Haller and Sule) and the other two will fetch them a handsome profit in a year or two. They'll then use that profit to further enhance their team. Ok, the Budesliga is an easier league and getting CL football is far easier. However, they have sold, improved in a few areas and remain competitive for their remit. This is what we were doing. Now, we seem to be holding on and adding alongside the youth (Soumare, Daka) over priced, expensive "experience" (Vestegaard, Bertrand). Both of the latter to neither of what Haller and Sule will do for Dortmund and neither will aid the development (ie taking pressure of them) of the other two. 

The mistakes are alarming and should be criticised. 

You can use Dortmund and those other teams you mention all you like  but reality is we operate in a different market when it comes to the English Premiership.
Also alls those clubs have already made it in their respective leagues and can lose their main man without much of an overall loss within their leagues.

We get up 2 rungs then lose 1 or 2 of our star players it hurts us, we then have to go young and cheap but in doing so slip back 3 rungs, these new players then take 2 maybe 3yrs to reach potential pushing us back up a rung great but then they are sold and we slip back 2 rungs, it’s going to take us and this model years to even regularly secure just top 6/7 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You can use Dortmund and those other teams you mention all you like  but reality is we operate in a different market when it comes to the English Premiership.
Also alls those clubs have already made it in their respective leagues and can lose their main man without much of an overall loss within their leagues.

We get up 2 rungs then lose 1 or 2 of our star players it hurts us, we then have to go young and cheap but in doing so slip back 3 rungs, these new players then take 2 maybe 3yrs to reach potential pushing us back up a rung great but then they are sold and we slip back 2 rungs, it’s going to take us and this model years to even regularly secure just top 6/7 

I didnt say that using that model should maintain top 6/7. That is the hardest thing to do in this league. I'm saying our old model had us competitive. Are we competitive this year - going from 5th to 8th to potentially a relegation scrap - which our start, form and errors suggest we will be in, is not competitive. Going from 5th to 8th to 10th with a season of two of bedding in is what we should be doing. The drop this year in terms of our last 5 is incredibly poor. We will not keep out stars because there will always be a level or two above us, regardless of where we finish. The plan on loss needs to be clear. It wasnt last summer. 

16 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I didnt say that using that model should maintain top 6/7. That is the hardest thing to do in this league. I'm saying our old model had us competitive. Are we competitive this year - going from 5th to 8th to potentially a relegation scrap - which our start, form and errors suggest we will be in, is not competitive. Going from 5th to 8th to 10th with a season of two of bedding in is what we should be doing. The drop this year in terms of our last 5 is incredibly poor. We will not keep out stars because there will always be a level or two above us, regardless of where we finish. The plan on loss needs to be clear. It wasnt last summer. 

I’m with you but old/new model of selling isn’t our issue it’s FFP we don’t bring enough in from other revenue streams to compete as we did 2/3yrs ago which got us up in the top 5 whilst FFP was frozen/ not as strict.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He isn't useless, lets be honest. In his first full season he scored 8 goals from wide, not his best position, which is low but more than other wingers have got (aside from Mahrez). Barnes' best return is only 9 goals.

But one thing Perez can't be criticised for is his ball control. It's among the best in the squad. That's why him and Ricardo work so well.

We overpaid for him massively but we were/are just deseperate for someone to play right midfield.

Have we watched the same player? I've seen so many times the ball bounce off him and he gives it away.

He's pretty good at recovering it though. He does get back and fights for it. Similar to Iheanacho. Daka the ball bounces off and he does even fight for it. Usually just falls on the ground.

1 hour ago, Bptiger said:

U been watching the same useless player I have been watching , little effort , gets push of the ball like he’s a young kid , work rate is 0 , ball control 0 . 

As others have said, no one can honestly criticise Perez work rate within a game.

My issue with Perez is he is clumsy a la Iheanacho and too lightweight. Madders has worked on his physique I think Perez should do the same, if not already. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He topped our pressing stats last season and had one of the best pressing per 90 minutes stats in the division.

To criticise his effort and work rate is absurd. Only Albrighton matches him stastically in that area.

His pressing and recovery are his best attributes.

Unfortunately he's usually pressing because he's recovering a ball that has bounced off him and he's given away.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I’m with you but old/new model of selling isn’t our issue it’s FFP we don’t bring enough in from other revenue streams to compete as we did 2/3yrs ago which got us up in the top 5 whilst FFP was frozen/ not as strict.

FBS contract has papered over a few cracks on income 

will they be likely to renew on the same terms end next season ??

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

FBS contract has papered over a few cracks on income 

will they be likely to renew on the same terms end next season ??

We've lost our TV appeal now. We're no longer the 15/16 PL winners or plucky under dogs.

We could have got SOOOOO much money 16/17 with the eyes of the world watching. Now we are mid table boredom for sponsorship.

1 minute ago, Merging Cultures said:

We've lost our TV appeal now. We're no longer the 15/16 PL winners or plucky under dogs.

We could have got SOOOOO much money 16/17 with the eyes of the world watching. Now we are mid table boredom for sponsorship.

Astonishing nativity from business savvy owners …….

Eg. king power could have got away with sticking £50m stadium sponsorship in that summer …….. the money could be taken back out in the future via dividends but it was so naive not to stick big acceptable income into the club that summer …..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Selling a key player, for profit, each summer is good until we stop buying players as good just to replace them. And that seems to be where we are at now.

Our recruitment last summer was horrendous and I've seen nothing to suggest it would have improved this summer.

Southampton used to be great at doing it (they sell Lallana but they buy Mane, etc) but they don't recruit the same type of player anymore and I feel that's where we are heading.

Good summary - agree with this. 

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Says Brendan is great, Top Loves him, they are adopting a child together and Brendan has signed a new 30 year deal. Top also says he will sell the club if anybody can offer him a quid.

Thanks.... i am not sure the telegraph is reliable these days

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

Indeed. And what about those depressed-looking players in the line-up at Stockport? Each one probably trousers more money every week than most of us supporters do in a year. As regards just going through the motions, maybe they need reminding of just how lucky they are to be playing in an era when PL footballers seem to have money thrown at them like confetti.

Spot on :thumbup: you are quite right the players as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

People falling over themselves to try and justify Ayoze Perez. He’s absolute gash. 

Not against PSV last season.  Came on 2nd half changed the game in our favour, assist for one of the goals too.  Never, played in his proper position since arriving at the club.  Perez has flaws yes, I agree, but he will never ever play in his correct position as long as we have Vardy, n Brendan,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

He topped our pressing stats last season and had one of the best pressing per 90 minutes stats in the division.

To criticise his effort and work rate is absurd. Only Albrighton matches him stastically in that area.

To be fair, his pressing stats are mainly impressive because his first touch usually puts the nearest opposition player in possession of the ball :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Again, Rodgers does not agree transfer fees or negotiate players wages

He has the final say on paying X for Y player though, he'll know his budget and he'll make the call as to whether it's value to spend whatever amount, for example he seen fit to spend £30m+ on Perez for example. He'll also have a say in the same vein in retaining players and be mindful of how much retaining a player will eat into his overall wage budget. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's ran up record wage bills at a few clubs now. Even his last window at Celtic has parallels with this one at Leicester where the club only brought in a bunch of loan players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would happily accept relegation to see us get rid of him.This would give us the chance to rebuild and return stronger and better structured financially after next summer.

Parachute payments should help us retain

The core players and more academy lads could be blooded..

We could also enjoy watching some exciting games rather than the Turgid

stagnant dross each week.

Also some different grounds to visit and a chance for new fans to sample the atmosphere.Bring it on!

4 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

Not against PSV last season.  Came on 2nd half changed the game in our favour, assist for one of the goals too.  Never, played in his proper position since arriving at the club.  Perez has flaws yes, I agree, but he will never ever play in his correct position as long as we have Vardy, n Brendan,

He’s a very decent impact sub. For the money we paid for him, that’s not good enough. 

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He has the final say on paying X for Y player though, he'll know his budget and he'll make the call as to whether it's value to spend whatever amount, for example he seen fit to spend £30m+ on Perez for example. He'll also have a say in the same vein in retaining players and be mindful of how much retaining a player will eat into his overall wage budget. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's ran up record wage bills at a few clubs now. Even his last window at Celtic has parallels with this one at Leicester where the club only brought in a bunch of loan players.

Yeah, looks like the club are taking more control now - Glover is their appointment, not Rodgers’.

For them to go so strong on not signing anyone unless we sell sends a message to Rodgers and the recruitment team - they’ll be even more careful now. 

• Like 1