Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Some absolute revisionism going on about Puel in this thread.

There was progress under him in a short-lived period where he was in the process of getting us used to keeping possession but we still had our deadly counter attack. However he kept adding more and more shackles that killed that counter attack and left us as a side who could keep the ball but do nothing with it as we were so cautious that we dared not venture past the halfway line in any significant numbers.

The Mendy and Ndidi dream team. An attacking sub consisting of Simpson on at right back and Ricardo up from right back to right wing. Getting beaten to European football by a very average Burnley side. Failing to beat absolute dross like Newcastle, Palace, West Brom and others at home. An isolated or benched Vardy. Eurgh…. It was horrid.

Rodgers came in and did something pretty simple: he took the shackles off. Got a supply line into Vardy. Had numbers committing forward. Broke up the Mendy and Ndidi pairing.

Had we stuck with Puel we were looking more like relegation candidates than Champions League ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Puel had basically no options for creative midfielders until Tielemans got here, which is why he had to use Ndidi and Mendy together at times.  As soon as Youri arrived we had one of our most dominating performances in years agains Tottenham, even thought we lost.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Had we stuck with Puel we were looking more like relegation candidates than Champions League ones.

:appl:

You should've seen the thread someone started after we won the FA Cup where the poster was keen to give him some credit for it! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Pure revisionism. He signed Maddison and had Adrien Silva too. Not to mention the fact that he had our most creative ever in Mahrez for a good chunk of time during his spell here as well.

He went for Mendy and Ndidi because he was a dour and unadventurous bore who pretty much wanted 6 outfield players behind the ball at all times.

Whatever you need to believe.

5 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

There was progress under him in a short-lived period where he was in the process of getting us used to keeping possession but we still had our deadly counter attack. However he kept adding more and more shackles that killed that counter attack and left us as a side who could keep the ball but do nothing with it as we were so cautious that we dared not venture past the halfway line in any significant numbers.

The Mendy and Ndidi dream team. An attacking sub consisting of Simpson on at right back and Ricardo up from right back to right wing. Getting beaten to European football by a very average Burnley side. Failing to beat absolute dross like Newcastle, Palace, West Brom and others at home. An isolated or benched Vardy. Eurgh…. It was horrid.

Rodgers came in and did something pretty simple: he took the shackles off. Got a supply line into Vardy. Had numbers committing forward. Broke up the Mendy and Ndidi pairing.

Seems like we are coming full circle.

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Failing to beat absolute dross like Newcastle, Palace, West Brom and others at home. An isolated or benched Vardy. Eurgh…. It was horrid.

Not being funny but we've lost to utter dross under Rodgers too. Bournemouth,  Watford, Newcastle etc. So not sure that's a yardstick you wanna measure things by. 

Edited by Koke

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

left us as a side who could keep the ball but do nothing with it as we were so cautious that we dared not venture past the halfway line in any significant numbers

Are you on about Puel or our recent games against West Ham, Norwich and  first half Brighton? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Pure revisionism. He signed Maddison and had Adrien Silva too. Not to mention the fact that he had our most creative ever in Mahrez for a good chunk of time during his spell here as well.

He went for Mendy and Ndidi because he was a dour and unadventurous bore who pretty much wanted 6 outfield players behind the ball at all times.

Except as soon as he signed a central midfielder capable of passing the ball forwards (Tielemans) he was in the team. There is a huge difference between having Maddison playing as a number 10 with a central midfielder capable of finding him with 10-15 yard passes through the centre of the pitch than without that player.  I have no idea if Adrien Silva was/is capable of that, every time I saw him play for Portugal he seemed to be doing a sort of luxury Mendy role of passing sideways and backwards. And before Mahrez threw his toys out in January 2018 we were 7th, not scaling the heights we have done under Rodgers but doing fine nonetheless.

Rodgers has improved some of our players immeasurably and at our best we are a much better side than we ever could have been under Puel. He’s done a very good job here.

But the single biggest difference between us under Rodgers and under Puel is that we have players confident and capable of passing the ball forwards through midfield. The capability point was solved by Puel just before he was sacked by signing Tielemans but I’m not sure he ever would have cracked the confidence side. Rodgers has handled both very well, through improving the technical standard of the likes of Ndidi and giving the team the confidence to play positively (at least until recently).

15 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Not true - 2nd best last season only to Man U for points gained from losing positions:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/man-utd-1st-ranking-every-pl-club-by-points-won-from-losing-positions/

I've said it before but I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from this, tbh. You could argue we shouldn't be in losing positions so often - neither should Man United, really. The more often we're behind, the more chance we have at "gaining points from losing positions" in comparison to a Man City (for example) who don't fall behind. I'm sure we'd all rather not be in that position to begin with.

1 hour ago, Langston said:

I've said it before but I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from this, tbh. You could argue we shouldn't be in losing positions so often - neither should Man United, really. The more often we're behind, the more chance we have at "gaining points from losing positions" in comparison to a Man City (for example) who don't fall behind. I'm sure we'd all rather not be in that position to begin with.

The comment was in response to a previous poster who questioned Brendan's response when things were going against us. 

Get where you're coming from but teams do score against the run of play and it shows resilience and mental strength to keep recovering. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Puel had basically no options for creative midfielders until Tielemans got here, which is why he had to use Ndidi and Mendy together at times.  As soon as Youri arrived we had one of our most dominating performances in years agains Tottenham, even thought we lost.

Hahahaha we lost 3-1 and 4-1 in the 2 games Puel had Tielemans before he was sacked. He was an absolute car crash at the end.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaha we lost 3-1 and 4-1 in the 2 games Puel had Tielemans before he was sacked. He was an absolute car crash at the end.

Yep, although that game vs Tottenham was one of the most unfair results in recent memory. According to xG, we should have won that game 3-1, Barnes missed a bunch of chances and I think Vardy missed a penalty as well. 

Perhaps a reflection of the players' confidence having ebbed away. 

5 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Yep, although that game vs Tottenham was one of the most unfair results in recent memory. According to xG, we should have won that game 3-1, Barnes missed a bunch of chances and I think Vardy missed a penalty as well. 

Perhaps a reflection of the players' confidence having ebbed away. 

We did play well, it was the most enjoyable defeat I can remember hahahaa

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I also feel that the way we've ended the last two seasons after Christmas were an absolute car crash too. There's also an argument perhaps that the way we've started this season is merely a continuation of the last car crash.

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

I think if he’s here for a good few more years you’ll see a complete different squad of players who will be technically much better than what we have.

The first team squad? I can’t see him improving the first team in two years massively. The only obvious improvement is Perez and Brendan wants him for some tactical reason.

Kasp

Ric Fofana Soy Thm

Tiele Ndidi Madd

Ian Daka Barnes

Aside from formation, that’ll pretty much be the first team. They are all technically great players. He could add a few more technically excellent players, for sure, but the quality of players we have is excellent.

Brendan’s problem isn’t having technically poor players. Or even a squad without depth (I’ve not even included Justin, Soumare, Vardy, KDH, Evans or Castange above).

There are definitely mitigating circumstances to this bad start—injuries, a red card, VAR, man city—but having a squad of technically poor players isn’t one of them.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Did you watch the Tottenham game?  20 shots, 9 on target, on their pitch - we created a ton of chances but just couldn't finish (starting Gray as a striker may admittedly have been a factor there).  It's one of the most aesthetically pleasing matches I've ever seen us play, and our goal in that match one of the prettiest.

Edited by Deeg67

53 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Did you watch the Tottenham game?  20 shots, 9 on target, on their pitch - we created a ton of chances but just couldn't finish (starting Gray as a striker may admittedly have been a factor there).  It's one of the most aesthetically pleasing matches I've ever seen us play, and our goal in that match one of the prettiest.

Yes, I said in a subsequent post it was possibly the most enjoyable defeats I've ever seen. That was the problem with Puel though in my opinion, he never could get the attacking impetus right without shifting a load of goals in the process. That's why he tended to batten down the hatches a lot of the time because he could never do both aspects of the game.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, I said in a subsequent post it was possibly the most enjoyable defeats I've ever seen. That was the problem with Puel though in my opinion, he never could get the attacking impetus right without shifting a load of goals in the process. That's why he tended to batten down the hatches a lot of the time because he could never do both aspects of the game.

Can you imagine last season without Youri?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The first team squad? I can’t see him improving the first team in two years massively. The only obvious improvement is Perez and Brendan wants him for some tactical reason.

Kasp

Ric Fofana Soy Thm

Tiele Ndidi Madd

Ian Daka Barnes

Aside from formation, that’ll pretty much be the first team. They are all technically great players. He could add a few more technically excellent players, for sure, but the quality of players we have is excellent.

Brendan’s problem isn’t having technically poor players. Or even a squad without depth (I’ve not even included Justin, Soumare, Vardy, KDH, Evans or Castange above).

There are definitely mitigating circumstances to this bad start—injuries, a red card, VAR, man city—but having a squad of technically poor players isn’t one of them.

...not trying to jump on the Maddison bandwagon but Soumare will be an ever present in this team!!!

Maddison will have been sold within that time frame. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

People are still debating Puel in/out in 2021. Get a life.

Bring him back for a few weeks for a laugh. I think we should do what failing bands do and they all reform and merge for some pathetic tour. We should have Puel, Ranieri, Shakey and Nigel all doing a month each on a rota. Brendan hasn't had a big enough horrible patch yet to warrant being involved. 

• Haha 3