Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

We need a change, that is apparent to even the most patient fans I think, but we are in no position to sack Rodgers, not unless the situation becomes desparate.  We can't afford the pay off and we can't back a new manager financially as we have a task on our hands getting rid of a host of non-productive players, with at leasr three that no longer want to play for us - Youri, Fofana and Soumare.  It will be very galling to see this transfer window close having allowed moves for Soumare and Vestergaard to slip through our fingers but I digress...

I think we will have to make do with Rodgers this season.  I agree with those that are saying Rodgers wants to leave, I think that he is asleep at the wheel but surely, Rodgers being Rodgers, will want to protect his legacy and reputation?

I think that in difficult times managers tend to go defensive.  We have already seen this season five points thrown away from two home bankers because of craven, cowardly second half performances where we have retreated into our shells and gone defensive after having looked pretty good previously,  Rodgers needs to change this approach.  It clearly does not work, it plays to our weaknesses, not our strengths.  I think that another poster said that we had chucked away the most points from winning positions in the PL last season (and certainly this season).  Ignore the scoreboard and play.  Just play!

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I want Rodgers and his little notebook out but this is objectively untrue. We had a very good start under Puel, then post a 3-0 hammering from Palace at our place were distinctly average.

Home draws against Bournemouth, Southampton, Stoke (in the season they dropped), losing at home to Newcastle and West Ham, getting BATTERED 5-0 away at Palace. We won 5 in 17 since the turn of the year in 2018. 

Puel was absolutely rank, this is as bad, if not worse, considering the squad - but let's not make out like Claude had us popping it around like Brazil 1970.

Not necessarily Brazil 1970, and it was infuriating the way he managed to always get outclassed by Roy Hodgson, but my memory of his reign was that we at least tried to get the ball forward in 17/18 and the obsession with keeping possession at the expense of any attacking threat came once the only forward thinking player he had available was a then still very raw Maddison.

38 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

How will this play out?

Without question Rodger’s wants out, the job is no longer what was sold to him and so he will be wanting to go. Leicester would be quite happy to let him go too, but there is a question of the right club for Rodger’s to go to and us not wanting to kick him out as the compensation would be huge. So this isn’t going ti be fixed overnight. 

The other issue is a replacement. The Leicester job is no longer as desirable as it was as we are now going through the process of a reset. That reset being lower waged players so we don’t get into the mess we are in right now. 

The dynamics of the manager and club position isn’t hard to work out, but the position of Top is one that worries me more.

So Rodger’s will only ever want to operate at the highest level, I get that and he will move to address this given time.

But Top has always been one to operate there too. So with the reset, which will include lower paid players, smaller contracts and therefore smaller chance of success, will he have the appetite to carry on if the interest of success diminishes?

The next few years will be interesting, and the fans reaction to Top not signing Tielemans type players won’t go down well.  How will he react to the negativity that will come with that ? 

The negativity is already there the longer Rodgers stays, the players have there energy sapped out of them. 

If we're going to sack Rodgers we should also sack Rudkin.  I'm assuming he is responsible for putting mediocre payers on crazily inflated contracts and putting Rodgers on £10m per year, creating a host of problems and meaning that we can't shift any of them.

Edited by murphy

Make no mistake the first 2 home fixtures this season were very winnable and every opportunity regardless of the Arsenal result to get off to a decent start and build some

positive momentum, regardless of any frustrations/disappointment with our lack of summer transfer business. 

However in both games Brendan’s negativity and poor use of substitutes (or lack of) threw away 5 points from winning positions. 

He hasn’t learnt from previous mistakes and the list of shame where we have managed to grasp draws or defeats from jaws of victory continues to grow. It cannot continue and that is the hope that I have that Top will pull the plug. 

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

If we're going to sack Rodgers we should also sack Rudkin.  I'm assuming he is responsible for putting mediocre payers on crazily inflated contracts and putting Rodgers on £10m per year, creating a host of problems and meaning that we can't shift any of them.

Almost every single team in the PL has this outrageous inflated wages/contracts. Teams like Everton that fought for relegation last season and they're favourites to go down this season have the same problems with wages. Rudkin and every other Rudkin are ofc responsible but the truth is that they have to deal also with an increasing "agents mafia" in football. 

19 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Almost every single team in the PL has this outrageous inflated wages/contracts. Teams like Everton that fought for relegation last season and they're favourites to go down this season have the same problems with wages. Rudkin and every other Rudkin are ofc responsible but the truth is that they have to deal also with an increasing "agents mafia" in football. 

I agree to an extent but I think that Rodgers' wages are obscene for a club of our size.  I don't know about other clubs wages but I do know that our wages to turnover problem has made it impossible to sign new first team players this year and we are the only club in that hasn't signed anyone.

I mean Vestergaard. never signed as a first team player reportedly on 75k p/w, Hamza who only ever makes a handful of appearances as either sub or cover reportedly on £60k o/w.  I'm not against rewarding the top performers who have earned iit, but, if the above is true, it is scandalous by Rudkin imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Should have gone ages ago I can’t believe he’s still here. The excuses people make for him are baffling, injuries, small squad, lack of investment, did well 18 months ago etc. 

That Forest result should have seen him go and I can’t believe he’s still here, it’ll only get worse aswell if he’s still here for Chelsea. 

Last week it was ‘2 games don’t be stupid we’ll be nowhere near relegation’, well that might be about to change with yesterdays result and the next couple of games coming up. 

I think some of those 'excuses' were legitimate reasons at certain times. Of course, 3 games into a brand new fresh season they don't wash. Which is why the poll results are so heavily in the 'out' category.

As for the 'nowhere near relegation', I can't see that as a reasonable thing to state, as in I still don't think we will be despite the unwelcome start. After all, a season doesn't end after 5/6 games.

Arsenal lost their first 3 last season and finished top 6, while their recruitment was being bemoaned too.

We might well be in the bottom 3 after 3 games, and things might get a bit worse before they get better purely because of the teams we're playing, but I still maintain we won't be near relegation.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think some of those 'excuses' were legitimate reasons at certain times. Of course, 3 games into a brand new fresh season they don't wash. Which is why the poll results are so heavily in the 'out' category.

As for the 'nowhere near relegation', I can't see that as a reasonable thing to state, as in I still don't think we will be despite the unwelcome start. After all, a season doesn't end after 5/6 games.

Arsenal lost their first 3 last season and finished top 6, while their recruitment was being bemoaned too.

We might well be in the bottom 3 after 3 games, and things might get a bit worse before they get better purely because of the teams we're playing, but I still maintain we won't be near relegation.

I'd accept the excuses if half of them weren't his own doing. Just off the top of my head like leaving Vardy on against Liverpool in FA Cup, then he's out for ages. Leaving Ricardo on against Villa that time. Rodgers will have a say in it, but it'll be down to the medical staff team as well I accept. Injuries have really only become a massive thing here ever since Rodgers came in. We kept having 'Wait till Fofana etc.' come back and we'll be a different team, one by one they all came back and we didn't look much better at all.

Had European games last season and the one before, I accept that.

He'll have definitely had a say in the signings as well, obviously more than just him involved but Vestegaard and Bertrand are terrible, that's where the moneys gone, we didn't even sell a player, reckon he's had the best backing of any Leicester manager ever. Signing one or two players won't make a difference either, it's the tactics and it's how we're setting upand playing.

I don't think we'll go down, but we won't be far off, we'll definitely be fighting relegation this season if Rodgers stays. Mostly our goals come from wondergoals, or great strikes, how often do we work the ball well and score a good finish? Rarely.

Genuinely a long term injury to Maddison this season and we're gonna be ****ed.

3 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Like he did with the Ranieri appointment.....

Oh and when he got sacked was a good example as well

He expressed shock at Ranieri's appointment, as I imagine most did, he didn't outright question his ability.

He again wasn't critical of Ranieri when he was sacked, he questioned the sacking.

So when the poster said they'd be interested in his reaction when we do sack Rodgers because it won't align with most fans, the reason for my reply was, he won't go in on Rodgers, he won't be overly critical like most fans, because he can't alienate these people.

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We can't look at Arsenal last season for any sort of solice Stan. Last season, Arteta was clearly driven to succeed. I'm not a fan of how Arteta performs on the touchline but he clearly worked his ass off to sort that team out and is paying dividends for it right now. On our side, Rodgers demeanor is of a man who gives 0 sh**s. Do you think Rodgers turns up to work today / tomorrow driven to work out how to turn this around? I just don't think so anymore? He's in the departure lounge and drifting at a very dangerous time.

Rodgers is just so inflexible. He sticks rigidly to his ideals, his way of playing. That's why every game has the same pattern. 

There is an article about Everton on Football365 which references that they could only dream of our attacking resources. We have seriously exciting players who have become, in the main, robots with the occasional flash of brilliance. Such a shame.

We have good players and enough quality to lift us out of this.  Rodger’s is the one either not playing them, playing them out of position and employing terrible tactics. 

How are the forwards expected to get the ball if Amartey and Ndidi are the ones he wants to start attacks off which constantly fail to reach our creative players.  

If Rogers is on £10 million a year and the worry is about the possible £30 million it would cost to sack him, just for example Pearson is on £3 million a year, now I'm not saying him but that wage would save £21 million of the £30 million outlayed, offer them a one year contract so they are hungry, an get somebody that isn't currently at a club so we don't have to pay comp, just to change the mood around the place, Shakespeare lasted 8 months but it was a useful stop gap, we may need to go back 4 years to start going forwards now where we are financially.

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We can't look at Arsenal last season for any sort of solice Stan. Last season, Arteta was clearly driven to succeed. I'm not a fan of how Arteta performs on the touchline but he clearly worked his ass off to sort that team out and is paying dividends for it right now. On our side, Rodgers demeanor is of a man who gives 0 sh**s. Do you think Rodgers turns up to work today / tomorrow driven to work out how to turn this around? I just don't think so anymore? He's in the departure lounge and drifting at a very dangerous time.

It was a comparison purely to point out that a few results at the start of the season don't always dictate exactly where we'll end up finishing.

The two clubs are far apart now. Where we were once the club in the headlines performing well above expectations while Arsenal faltered, the roles have reversed where Arsenal (purely for the reason they are able to) have been able to spend shitloads of money improving their squad and do look very sharp and organised. 

I think Rodgers does turn up to work thinking he knows how to solve the issues. Just the solutions he offers (or lack of) aren't working.

• Like 1

We can't afford to pay him off if we sack him. We can't afford to pay the likes of Brighton to pay compensation to poach their manager.  Looks like Brendan is going to stay and he's gonna be taking us down. 10 great years that started with the Championship title is coming to an end. 😩