Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I've been thinking about that 'Proper Football' podcast Rodgers did, the one posted somewhere. He talked of his own playing career, of having the technical abilities (his words, not mine!) but not making it as a pro due to a lack of size/physicality (I'm paraphrasing that bit, listen to the podcast for the exact wording)

<** pseudo shrink alert **>

I wonder if that's influenced him as a manager, in his tactical thinking. I wonder if somewhere deep in his psyche (and I'm only thinking aloud here) whether he's trying to prove something in his managerial career that he feels he was unable to do as a player. That is, show that the game can be won with technically gifted players (like him?) and without kicking lumps out of the opponent. I wonder if he sees himself in players like James Maddison?  

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

I've been thinking about that 'Proper Football' podcast Rodgers did, the one posted somewhere. He talked of his own playing career, of having the technical abilities (his words, not mine!) but not making it as a pro due to a lack of size/physicality (I'm paraphrasing that bit, listen to the podcast for the exact wording)

<** pseudo shrink alert **>

I wonder if that's influenced him as a manager, in his tactical thinking. I wonder if somewhere deep in his psyche (and I'm only thinking aloud here) whether he's trying to prove something in his managerial career that he feels he was unable to do as a player. That is, show that the game can be won with technically gifted players (like him?) and without kicking lumps out of the opponent. I wonder if he sees himself in players like James Maddison?  

Is that the podcast he refers to not liking to show his frustration on the touchline as he didn't like that when he was growing up/playing?

Again I refer back to the 1st half v West Brom where we were dominating, playing well, fast, decent, exciting and attacking football, where he was seething, audibly and visibly, kicking bottles, proper mardy face on him all because we weren't 'controlling the game'....at 3-0 up.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Is that the podcast he refers to not liking to show his frustration on the touchline as he didn't like that when he was growing up/playing?

Again I refer back to the 1st half v West Brom where we were dominating, playing well, fast, decent, exciting and attacking football, where he was seething, audibly and visibly, kicking bottles, proper mardy face on him all because we weren't 'controlling the game'....at 3-0 up.

There's so much other stuff that's gone on since then that I think you should get over that lol 

Just now, phoneticerror said:

Nobody seems to be defending him on any of the social media posts from yesterday. It’s in everyone’s best interest for him to go before things get a lot more toxic. This will have a big impact on attendances if he doesn’t go soon.

I read there were 1,100 seats unsold yesterday?

Can't say I saw many empty seats and i'm not sure how 1,100 unsold seats compares to most other games?

There seemed to be alot made of it though, mainly blaming the clubs ticketing policy of which is reasonable and does need changing but I can only see the number getting a bigger if this continues, especially at the disgracefully match-by-match prices.

3 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If fofana goes, we get a class RW in and a decent CB then I'd reluctantly keep him. If not, then he isn't exactly a relegation style manager/coach is he. 

Chelsea will wait until the last few days of the window and try to lowball us with a 65-70 mill offer, which puts us in a v difficult situation with regards to getting players in that late. 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

There's so much other stuff that's gone on since then that I think you should get over that lol 

Correct there is.

But that was the start of telling me everything I need to know about his 'philosophy'

The stuff that has gone on since that you correctly mention that he could have gone apoplectic at but has seemingly let it slide, yet he was so furious during that first half, it just blows my mind.

The only other time i've seen him so mad was community shield, I seem to remember him kicking a water bottle, coincidentally, we were playing well again, some exciting, attacking stuff. 

The bloke loves negative football.

Edited by Matt

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

The 2 things are maybe part of the same mindset. That is, Rodgers seeing the game in a certain, wanting it played in a certain way. The score is almost immaterial to him.  He wins his way if his technical players control the game.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think he just talks absolute bollocks tbh, reckon he just says what he thinks will sound good.

He should go into politics after football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turlo said:

Chelsea will wait until the last few days of the window and try to lowball us with a 65-70 mill offer, which puts us in a v difficult situation with regards to getting players in that late. 

100% agree. If we have the players lined up to go for them post fofana moving on then do we stick or twist? It's still a gamble, anything contractually can go wrong but I'd take the gamble at 70-75 given the state we are in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Not necessarily Brazil 1970, and it was infuriating the way he managed to always get outclassed by Roy Hodgson, but my memory of his reign was that we at least tried to get the ball forward in 17/18 and the obsession with keeping possession at the expense of any attacking threat came once the only forward thinking player he had available was a then still very raw Maddison.

Your memory is incorrect mate. We were absolute shite at the end of 17/18.

6 minutes ago, turlo said:

Any idea how much that would cost? 

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He would basically just stay on the payroll - so it would mean that we wouldn't have to pay him a load of compensation in one go right now

Reckon will will cost a min of £10m to release.  His staff a further £1m probably 

He can probably sit at home for eighteen months earning 180k a week if we don’t come to an arrangement (that’s £12.5m) but you would expect he wants to take another job so we might be able to agree to keep paying him until that point to a max of 12.5m (but a min of £5m) 

it’s going to be painful whatever the agreement 

• Like 1

Best case scenario for me at this point. 

£80m for Fofana and Chelsea sack Tuchel and we mutually agree to let Rodgers go or Chelsea buy him out (unlikely with the sort of fee they will have to part with for Fofana) 

we pay 20% to St Etienne and have a large chunk left over to sign a decent defender and a winger, and a signing fee for a new manager. 

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think he just talks absolute bollocks tbh, reckon he just says what he thinks will sound good.

Tbf to him, I think he talks honestly. I don't think he's chasing soundbites etc. He may be trying to prove his credentials a little in that podcast (I was a gifted player) for which I cut him some slack, but again he blames something for not succeeding (I would have made it if I was more physical) 

The fact it is his honesty is what makes me wonder about him. The motivation of liers is easier to see and deal with. It's a little more complicated with those that believe what they're saying. Rodgers may well feel he has something to prove because he feels unfairly judged as a player - his 'natural talents' were not enough to make it. His managerial career is maybe an attempt to right (what he feels are) the wrongs of the past! (I know, I'm delving into amateur head shrinkery!)

Edited by taupe
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

He would go back to basics. The beauty of Stowell stepping in is that he knows the club better than most. He would just go back to basics and set the team up to build confidence. Short term, he’s always seemed to deliver something. Just inject some passion back into the team. 

playing the players who are hungry, but capable, players that will battle for 90 minutes, my only concern is that the PL has become too strong for our players if we lose fofana and Tielemens and don't add.