Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest Col city fan
6 hours ago, Koke said:

To add, this how most City fans feel. Rodgers has achieved great things here and he's got us playing sensational football at times, although that has faded a bit now. But @Fox92nails it, the most accurate and balanced post on here. The Rodgers haters are weird and the Rodgers sycophants are equally weird. 

That was exactly the same under Pearson. There was no middle ground. For some he could do no wrong, others couldn’t stand him 

I think the 5-2 win playing so deep has changed Brendan forever. We started last year with 2 really good attacking displays but ever since that game, he’s changed his style completely.

That game was the biggest freak ever vs a city team without all their defence and attack but he’s changed his style based on that game imo.

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I mean, he's done well domestically (FA Cup and Community Shield here), Swansea (play offs) and dominated Scotland with Celtic but I would think he needs to do something at a bigger club (Celtic are a big club obviously but the league isn't too strong), and also in Europe, to be considered one of the best managers "in World football". Most of the best managers, not just now but over time in football, win things consistently and across all areas. If he was to win the Europa League here I think his reputation would rocket. Don't forget he was at Liverpool but never won anything. And don't come at me with "he nearly won the league", we literally laugh at Spurs fans for saying that. Perhaps he was too young for such a big job? But let's not forget Klopp had to overhaul the squad to make it one of the best in the league. Rodgers left them in the top 10, not even the top 6.

People did laugh off his Celtic achievements because "it's Scotland" and his European record with Celtic was shocking. I don't think it was any better with Liverpool. As I said, I think a good European run here (semi final/final) would be great for him as a manager. I like Brendan Rodgers but he fits us as much as we fit him. When he was sacked by Liverpool I don't recall any other club but Celtic going for him. I think he left Celtic, a good job with the club he supports, because he knew how good the opportunity was here. We were, and have been, as good for him as he has us.

Nobody would rather have Puel back either. I haven't seen one person say that. I hope Rodgers stays for the future, as he's consistently had us in the top 6 and consistency is key in sport, but he also has issues he needs to address at the minute.

A very fair assessment I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...pretty much accurate...!!!

There is just that something that stops you from believing what he says and his body language contradicts what comes out of his mouth. Irrespective of what he has achieved here, there will always be that distance between him and many of our fanbase in respect of any affection for him.

Some people might view it as irrational but for most I would think "something, is just not right".

I just Think some Posters have their ears bunged, or dont listen...

More nonsense & noise comes from within this forum, on  actual untruths that he was been attributed to say or not say...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Here's some advice for fans who hate Rodgers. Write down all the things that irritate you about Rodgers. Then for each point come up with several other managers who don't do the thing that irritates you about Rodgers.

Post up what gripes you are left with.

This is a great way to rationalise most things in life. Get it down on paper.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Here's some advice for fans who hate Rodgers. Write down all the things that irritate you about Rodgers. Then for each point come up with several other managers who don't do the thing that irritates you about Rodgers.

Pragmatic advice. Mine would be go and support someone else because you don't deserve leicester city.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I see your point, but you do realise you could apply this to any manager and you'd get exactly the same outcome, so I'm not sure how much worth or merit it has haha.

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Pragmatic advice. Mine would be go and support someone else because you don't deserve leicester city.

Hahahaaa 

I've been getting riled up about a few things he's done recently that don't appear to make sense but the problem is so do pretty much every manager. I think our biggest frustration as fans is the amount of options he now has available to him, we fail to grasp that he can't play them all and yet we expect our immediate annoyance when we don't see a particular player we had earmark to play not be picked to be rectified by Rodgers.

We all want Daka to get some proper minutes and some are questioning why we signed him. Yet as soon as Vardy gets his yearly injury that then hinders his output for quite a while after he returns, there'd be uproar that we didn't sign a striker for the 3rd season running.

I genuinely think if we could make 5 subs a game which needs to be brought in across all of Europe then quite a bit of the growing frustration would fade away.

He's a typical taciturn Ulsterman Rodgers, so he will never come over as a bullshitting charmer. However he says what he means and I respect him for that. He will not get everything right , no manager does, but he gets a high percentage right. As I have said, he can keep us in the top half for the next few years and we will have years when we can challenge top six and that is fine with me.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I see your point, but you do realise you could apply this to any manager and you'd get exactly the same outcome, so I'm not sure how much worth or merit it has haha.

Hahahahaaa but that's what I'm saying. I've been guilty of this as well, a lot of my irks of Rodgers we'd see from other managers that had been here over 2 and a half years. 

If the horrible football continues and we regress then that's more than just the bumflufferies fans have to put up with from their egotistical managers. But right now we've a manager who for the large part of his time here has complimented our array of players very nicely. 

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think a lot of people base their opinion on Leicester managers by the way they do post-match interviews.

See loads of people that can't stand Pearson and basically the only reason they don't like him is because he's abrasive to journalists.

On the other hand I think people don't like Rodgers because he can come across as overly positive after a bad game. Too many people get worked up by what managers have to say, for me, they do their talking with the team's performance on the pitch.

That's actually a very good point, this will be a big factor. If Rodgers came put after the game and moaned about how crap we were and that he's doing his utmost to reignite our dynamic football as well as promise that Daka, KDH, Iheamacho, Lookman and Soumare were all going to play plenty of games in the coming weeks if certain players didn't perform then our fans would be happier.

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I went to Norwich Liverpool cup game Tuesday night, ticket was on offer, I live close to Norwich, so I said ‘go on then’. 

At the end of the game, my gripes with Rodgers, are the same as Norwich fans with Farke. They love the guy, he’s got them two promotions, mostly at a canter, sees his best players leave but doesn’t moan and just gets on with it. 

But they still have issues with what he’s doing. See how many similarities you see… 

1. playing out from the back, just for Gunn/Krul to end up floating the ball out towards a wing back only for it to either go out for a throw in, or put the wingback under too much pressure they give it away. Repeat. 
“Our centre backs aren’t good enough so why does he persist with?!”

2. set pieces - mostly zonal, concede a free header almost every time. Plus they bring everyone back, so when the ball breaks it just comes straight back. 
“Why have we got all 10 back when Liverpool have brought 7-8 forward. How are we supposed to break?”

3. Aftermatch interview from Farke - “we created lots of really good opportunities” No you didn’t…

4. Possession. Farke wants to keep the ball, so the centre backs play a nice little game of 1 - 2’s. Then inevitably they get pressed and aim a pretty hopeless and predictable ball down one of the wings. Nothing comes of it most of the time. 

My points are - one, you are right, we would find same issues with most fans on their managers decisions etc, or a completely different set of gripes, but gripes all the same. 

Second point is, Rodgers is doing what a lot in his job role see as ‘playing the right way’. I just feel back end of last season and so far this, it’s lost its ‘pezazz’ 😂 Pretty boring to watch. That way of playing however is great to watch when everyone is confident and on song. 

Norwich - low on confidence. Snap. Something isn’t quite right at the minute, meaning the football isn't free flowing, making it… dull. 

Just my take on it. Rodgers is officially a club legend from the FA cup win. But when there’s a lack of confidence in football, no momentum, this to me, playing this way, is what it looks like. Safety/scared of making mistakes.
We will see what he’s made of in trying to turn it around - next couple of games I believe we have the opportunity to do that. And hopefully a few more individuals find some form. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahahaaa but that's what I'm saying. I've been guilty of this as well, a lot of my irks of Rodgers we'd see from other managers that had been here over 2 and a half years. 

If the horrible football continues and we regress then that's more than just the bumflufferies fans have to put up with from their egotistical managers. But right now we've a manager who for the large part of his time here has complimented our array of players very nicely. 

My only issue with him atm is that he's scared of his own shadow when it comes to footie. All managers have their weird favourites who can do no wrong.

It's not coming on 9 months of having a team that seldom scores in the first half and only really starts to attack with any gusto in the 2nd period. When does it become the norm and not circumstancial? 

I like the idea of Potter, but the fact he went all defensive against us was a bit of a turn off. Remember when Rodgers first came in and said, "we'll always try and score goals right till the very end". I want that man back!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I went to Norwich Liverpool cup game Tuesday night, ticket was on offer, I live close to Norwich, so I said ‘go on then’. 

At the end of the game, my gripes with Rodgers, are the same as Norwich fans with Farke. They love the guy, he’s got them two promotions, mostly at a canter, sees his best players leave but doesn’t moan and just gets on with it. 

But they still have issues with what he’s doing. See how many similarities you see… 

1. playing out from the back, just for Gunn/Krul to end up floating the ball out towards a wing back only for it to either go out for a throw in, or put the wingback under too much pressure they give it away. Repeat. 
“Our centre backs aren’t good enough so why does he persist with?!”

2. set pieces - mostly zonal, concede a free header almost every time. Plus they bring everyone back, so when the ball breaks it just comes straight back. 
“Why have we got all 10 back when Liverpool have brought 7-8 forward. How are we supposed to break?”

3. Aftermatch interview from Farke - “we created lots of really good opportunities” No you didn’t…

4. Possession. Farke wants to keep the ball, so the centre backs play a nice little game of 1 - 2’s. Then inevitably they get pressed and aim a pretty hopeless and predictable ball down one of the wings. Nothing comes of it most of the time. 

My points are - one, you are right, we would find same issues with most fans on their managers decisions etc, or a completely different set of gripes, but gripes all the same. 

Second point is, Rodgers is doing what a lot in his job role see as ‘playing the right way’. I just feel back end of last season and so far this, it’s lost its ‘pezazz’ 😂 Pretty boring to watch. That way of playing however is great to watch when everyone is confident and on song. 

Norwich - low on confidence. Snap. Something isn’t quite right at the minute, meaning the football isn't free flowing, making it… dull. 

Just my take on it. Rodgers is officially a club legend from the FA cup win. But when there’s a lack of confidence in football, no momentum, this to me, playing this way, is what it looks like. Safety/scared of making mistakes.
We will see what he’s made of in trying to turn it around - next couple of games I believe we have the opportunity to do that. And hopefully a few more individuals find some form. 

Bang on. One of the other things is that once the novelty wears off of a new manager then the frustrations grow. Rodgers has been here 2 and a half years. The longer he is here, the more fans discover what they don't like about him. Its a good job most clubs change managers every year or two hahahaa.

Just now, filbertway said:

My only issue with him atm is that he's scared of his own shadow when it comes to footie. All managers have their weird favourites who can do no wrong.

It's not coming on 9 months of having a team that seldom scores in the first half and only really starts to attack with any gusto in the 2nd period. When does it become the norm and not circumstancial? 

I like the idea of Potter, but the fact he went all defensive against us was a bit of a turn off. Remember when Rodgers first came in and said, "we'll always try and score goals right till the very end". I want that man back!

I can't argue with this. There are things he is doing differently and it's almost as if we need some honesty from him on why and whether he's happy with what he's seeing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He's a typical taciturn Ulsterman Rodgers, so he will never come over as a bullshitting charmer. However he says what he means and I respect him for that. He will not get everything right , no manager does, but he gets a high percentage right. As I have said, he can keep us in the top half for the next few years and we will have years when we can challenge top six and that is fine with me.

I bet that there are occasions where he’s given it a go though 

8FD76F07-C5CF-41D5-A5DE-E2C2761DCA7E.thumb.jpeg.5fda92d27833773d4ae24f2837143b25.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Bang on. One of the other things is that once the novelty wears off of a new manager then the frustrations grow. Rodgers has been here 2 and a half years. The longer he is here, the more fans discover what they don't like about him. Its a good job most clubs change managers every year or two hahahaa.

Yep - and it’s not only the fans, it’s the players… 

It’s well documented that Fergie always changed some of his backroom staff to keep things fresh. 
Sometimes the same thing over and over just becomes a bit stale. That change of formation last season, even though we still dropped out of top 4, I felt gave us a new dynamic and a lift. 
Now we’ve gone back to the old plan it’s looking a bit… stale again. 

24 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think a lot of people base their opinion on Leicester managers by the way they do post-match interviews.

See loads of people that can't stand Pearson and basically the only reason they don't like him is because he's abrasive to journalists.

On the other hand I think people don't like Rodgers because he can come across as overly positive after a bad game. Too many people get worked up by what managers have to say, for me, they do their talking with the team's performance on the pitch.

I’m guilty of this to an extent. I’m more accepting of a manager who recognises the weaknesses after a poor performance rather than the one who just pats out generic comments. I guess it reassures me that at least attempts will be made to improve those areas that need to be better. I’m also more accepting of mangers that have got us consecutive top 5 finishes and a FA Cup in the trophy cabinet. 

12 minutes ago, Koke said:

His win percentage is 52.1%. He's won 62 of his 119 games he's managed us. That's phenomenal and should be respected. 

Should it not be though? Shouldn't a team that's looking to finish top 4/6 be hitting those kinds of figures? For me, that's doing what should be expected of him. Phenomenal would be adding another 10%+ onto that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1