Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, snoopy87 said:

I suggest you take a look at Sunderland till I die on Netflix to get a gist of what that lot are really like before you hold them up to be a patient bunch 

That’s a fair point. My visit yesterday and subsequent post was to some extent simply a reminder of how good we’ve got it, despite our indifferent start to the season.

6 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

That’s a fair point. My visit yesterday and subsequent post was to some extent simply a reminder of how good we’ve got it, despite our indifferent start to the season.

You are right of course, we are still a quality team even if we are not as good as some try to make out. The "knee jerk analysis" is frustration venting. We are going to be involved in a lot of tough matches this season and some we will lose for sure. As long as we compete for every point we should still do OK.

26 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Is it dodgy start - yes. But look at Man City last season. They were inconsistent for a month or two, then they found their rhythm and bosh, won it. Just keep with it. We’ve been spoilt with FA cup, charity shield wins and so close to top 4 the last two season. Before you boo, just think it could be worse…we could be Florest or Sheeps!! They have reason to boo!

stick with it, I think once it clicks, we’ll start getting those wins. Brighton, we were unlucky with decisions and we gave Man City a game. 

have faith and stop the booing. 

Man City were inconsistent for a month max. 7 games in last season (as we're 7 in now) Man City had 12 points and were 10th. 4 points off top 4. They lost one game (us) and drew three (Liverpool, West Ham, Leeds). Not exactly easy winnable games considering these 4 teams all finished top 10.

Also, after we beat Man City 5-2 and they went out and spent £60m on Dias. We can't do that. Plus their biggest league rivals, Liverpool, had a shocking second half of the season (yet still finished 3rd).

I don't compare us to any other club either because every club has different expectations. "It could be worse, we could be Forest". Well, hang on, look at Notts County who are in non league, I'm sure they'd prefer to be in Forest's position. Comparisons to other clubs are stupid.

Against Brighton we were already 2 down before we started playing. Man City hammered us the other week (they had 25 shots, 8 on target, where as we had 6, 1 on target). 

As they say a league is a marathon, not a sprint. I remain optimistic everything will click and we'll finish top 6 but there are issues at the minute that need addressing. 

3 hours ago, Koke said:

I'm sure in January if we are languishing 12th and playing cautious boring football, you'd still be banging on about patience and perspective and reminding us that we played Cheltenham 14 years ago or something. I'm pro BR but I understand people's gripes and frustrations with him. 

But it's not January is it? It's September.

And I was directly replying to people who said "get rid" and "he's lost the plot"

I've had some frustrations with every manager and BR is no different but equally he's more than earned some patience and perspective despite a sluggish start to the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Fofana is an exceptional signing. Castagne very good. This summers crop of Daka and Soumare is too early to say. Lookman looks very shrewd. Thr problem for us is as well as succession planning with the likes of Soumare and Daka its often that we also need to improve in other positions in the starting XI too which is difficult.

Bertrand and Vestergaard aren't good though, they are pure Rodgers signings as well.

To be fair they have played 4 odd games.

3 hours ago, Master Fox said:

We've regressed under Brendan. Everyone talks up our "recruitment" but the last 2 or 3 windows have been poor in terms of quality signings. All of the half decent players we signed were under Puel. The early signs are there that we're heading for the deep shit if things don't change soon. 

You class the last 2, 3 windows as poor ? Really ?

We’ve signed in those last 2, 3 windows

Tielemans

Justin

Perez

Fofana

Castagne

Praet

Two could be classed as underwhelming. However, Tielemans, Justin, Fofana and Castagne surely haven’t been poor ?

Two early to judge this window. I see Vestegaard being a flop. Bertrand will turn out to be a good squad player. Which leaves Daka and Soumare but I think we’ll know more about them in the next 18 months then now.

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

But it's not January is it? It's September.

And I was directly replying to people who said "get rid" and "he's lost the plot"

I've had some frustrations with every manager and BR is no different but equally he's more than earned some patience and perspective despite a sluggish start to the season.

I partly agree but, is this a sluggish start to the season or actually a continuation of form since last Christmas? 🤔 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, escape2victory said:

When Rodgers first took over, our team was the following:

Schmeichel

Ricardo     Evans      Maguire    Chilwell

Tielemans   Ndidi

Gray                Maddison            Barnes

Vardy

2 1/2 years later, has our starting 11 improved ? I actually think our last few transfer windows have been baffling…..sell Chilwell and we replaced him with a right back who can half do a job at left back, and then ending up with an average free transfer this window. The right winger position should of been number 1 priority, not a central midfielder where we already had 5. I just think we haven’t  properly addressed issues to the squad and 1 or 2 positions have been replaced with mediocrity, and all of a sudden you end up with dross like Bertrand and Vestergaard in your starting 11

Does he have the ability to replace players that are past there best or badly performimg.

Possibly recently he has dropped under performing players but I doubt he would ever drop Schmeichel for instance who is near the end of his career and not performing to the levels he used to achieve as truly top class manager would.

Edited by Nick57

3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

We’ve improved massively under Rodgers. We now have a trophy-winning team that even with injuries should be pushing for Champions League football. The fact we currently look nowhere near that level is the problem for me.

Stop sounding so entitled. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Is it dodgy start - yes. But look at Man City last season. They were inconsistent for a month or two, then they found their rhythm and bosh, won it. Just keep with it. We’ve been spoilt with FA cup, charity shield wins and so close to top 4 the last two season. Before you boo, just think it could be worse…we could be Florest or Sheeps!! They have reason to boo!

stick with it, I think once it clicks, we’ll start getting those wins. Brighton, we were unlucky with decisions and we gave Man City a game. 

have faith and stop the booing. 

The difference is the league was bang average, it has been for the last 2 or 3 seasons, it's now back to it's strongest, whether you agree with me about the average comments or not you cannot disagree with the fact its the strongest it's been for years.

With that in mind I have already said our expectations should be lowered in terms of league position - mine are, in recent previous seasons aims, expectations, confidence was to feel a top 4 place was in reach reflected by the league as I said being average, there was a gap, we almost did it, but chucked it away, twice. Top 4 aspirations are gone this season, they were before the season started due to how I explain it us and one or two other teams upsetting the apple cart and the big clubs going out and strengthening like they have, we have to remember "they don't want too many Leicester City's" do they?! I think top 5, 6, 7 will be a tough ask but the aim, we don't look a shadow of a team challenging for those place and do I expect better than the turgid shite we're seeing? Damn right.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Nick57 said:

Does he have the ability to replace players that are past there best or badly performimg.

Possibly recently he has dropped under performing players but I doubt he would ever drop Schmeichel for instance who is near the end of his career and not performing to the levels he used to achieve as truly top class manager would.

It’s not easy for any manager to drop his captain. He’s already phased out one leader in Wes who was a starter when he first arrived alongside Maguire. He eased him out gradually. Kasper is no where near being ready to be eased out like nor should he be.

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

You are right of course, we are still a quality team even if we are not as good as some try to make out. The "knee jerk analysis" is frustration venting. We are going to be involved in a lot of tough matches this season and some we will lose for sure. As long as we compete for every point we should still do OK.

OK?

Is that the limit of our ambitions now?

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

OK?

Is that the limit of our ambitions now?

Every team is ambitious, and we are doing pretty well in our medium term plans. You get seasons when you have to hold on to what you have before moving forward again. If we finish seventh or eighth this season that will be no disaster.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Talks about the boos after the Maddison sub. Or maybe not! lol

You can see how pissed off he is after the game and that clearly not happy with the performance - I expect some changes soon from him. 

For those criticising his decisiveness, he’s made subs at half time for a couple of league games in a row now, and come out both times saying they are tactical to make it clear drop in performance isn’t acceptable. 

My only worry is that he’s not quite picking the right starting XI. Clearly the Kels point has been done to death now but I’m not sure Soumare starting was the right call and was a reaction to not getting bullied in the middle yesterday, but it quickly became clear that they were bypassing the middle (we all knew they would!) and we’d get a lot of the ball. Also, I’m not sure Vesty should be playing in a back 4. He needs more support and makes too many mistakes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

I'll never understand why the hell has Vestergaard and Maddison have gotten automatic spots while the likes of amartey and iheanacho who were playing better don't even get a start. This and tactical ignorance are Rodgers biggest problems 

Maddison doesn't. 

He's come off the bench against Burnley and Napoli, didn't play against Millwall... 

40 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

You can see how pissed off he is after the game and that clearly not happy with the performance - I expect some changes soon from him. 

For those criticising his decisiveness, he’s made subs at half time for a couple of league games in a row now, and come out both times saying they are tactical to make it clear drop in performance isn’t acceptable. 

My only worry is that he’s not quite picking the right starting XI. Clearly the Kels point has been done to death now but I’m not sure Soumare starting was the right call and was a reaction to not getting bullied in the middle yesterday, but it quickly became clear that they were bypassing the middle (we all knew they would!) and we’d get a lot of the ball. Also, I’m not sure Vesty should be playing in a back 4. He needs more support and makes too many mistakes. 

Soumare was OK, but I agree with those that say we didn't need physical presence against Burnley in the middle of the park because of the way they play. But you could argue that having Vestergaard and Soumare means we should be able to deal with set pieces better, but of course they scored a flukey one off a set piece anyway!

Be interesting to see what he does against Palace. With Vieira in charge there now I think 4231 might be better against them than 433. But if he thinks 433 is the way forward, then it's going to take a few games playing that way to get good at it, so there's an argument for sticking with it. We played 433 vs Millwall too, just with different personnel.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Perspective is needed but I don't like that to some Brendan is beyond criticism. He's got obvious flaws and for me he takes too long to address them. On the flipside he's had us finish 5th twice (albeit both times dropping out of the top 4) and a lovely FA Cup win which I never wanna see discredited. 

The football is largely dire though

I don't think anyone disagrees with that but when people make ridiculous knee jerk comments it's hard to have a serious discussion on it.

Guest StevieLynex
3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

You class the last 2, 3 windows as poor ? Really ?

We’ve signed in those last 2, 3 windows

Tielemans

Justin

Perez

Fofana

Castagne

Praet

Two could be classed as underwhelming. However, Tielemans, Justin, Fofana and Castagne surely haven’t been poor ?

Two early to judge this window. I see Vestegaard being a flop. Bertrand will turn out to be a good squad player. Which leaves Daka and Soumare but I think we’ll know more about them in the next 18 months then now.

£50m total on Perez and Praet, when it was obvious we needed a quality right winger.

Guest StevieLynex
4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah just ignore the rest of his post lol

Tielemans was already there when BR came in. Jury is still out on Castagne. BR has had the most amount of any LCFC Manager to spend - has he invested it wisely? He also inherited a side that had Ndidi, Schmeichel and Vardy, the latter one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Could he have done better in the past couple of seasons when a few of the so-called 'big teams' have been in disarray? Right time, wrong man? A Man Utd fan on one of their forum's wants BR as their next Manager - yes please

Edited by StevieLynex

Just now, StevieLynex said:

Tielemans was already there when BR came in. Jury is still out on Castagne. BR has had the most amount of any LCFC Manager to spend - has he invested it wisely? He also inherited a side that had Vardy, Ndidi, Schmeichel and Vardy, the latter one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Could he have done better in the past couple of seasons when a few of the so-called 'big teams' have been in disarray? Right time, wrong man? A Man Utd fan on one of their forum's wants BR as their next Manager - yes please

God bless those Vardy brothers.

• Haha 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Tielemans was already there when BR came in. Jury is still out on Castagne. BR has had the most amount of any LCFC Manager to spend - has he invested it wisely? He also inherited a side that had Ndidi, Schmeichel and Vardy, the latter one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Could he have done better in the past couple of seasons when a few of the so-called 'big teams' have been in disarray? Right time, wrong man? A Man Utd fan on one of their forum's wants BR as their next Manager - yes please

No he has not.....the net spend on his time here is pretty much the same as the last four managers.