Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest StevieLynex
9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I obviously preferred Ranieri but Brendan is a better manager imo

Think Claudio's CV is more substantial then Brendan's, noting that the success the latter had was in Scotland which is the equivalent of being a good championship manager

People keep throwing around "entitled" as an insult.

Arsenal are entitled. They think they should be a top club simply because they're Arsenal. No Leicester fan thinks God has granted Leicester a top six position.

A few think with our scouting, our first team, our squad, our youngster and previous seasons that we should be floating around the top half. All signs points to a better league position.

For the most part, it's not entitlement. It's reasonable expectation. It should, however, be tempered by the small number of games played and injuries.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Firstly, I apologise for my typo as I meant 2021 but I suppose 2020 is quite relevant too.

But, for the last two seasons it seemed that we started well when the players seemed relatively unfettered by Rodgers micromanaging interference. We played fast fluid football and confidencewas high. On one occasion Rodgers appeared to get the ump albeit because of this fluid style, we were leading handsomely against a vastly inferior West Brom side. 

I remember changes in tactics against sides like Norwich who previously couldn't buy a goal or a Southampton side who we'd previously beaten by 9 goals.

Unnecessary defensive possession football against poor teams, round pegs in square holes when despite injuries, it really didn't have to be that way in some people's minds. It all seemed to smack of overthinking, desperation to stick slavishly to a particular philosophy whether certain players were capable or fitting in or not (mild shades of Paulo Sousa if you like). Both times, supporters could see that Champions League football was avoidably being ripped from their grasp, those expectations being not unreasonable due to the commanding points tally we had at the time and certainly not because of a spoiled sense of entitlement. I think Leicester supporters are very well aware, bar the odd few, of who we are and where we've come from, particularly those of us that have been watching them since the 60s.

All managers have some good points and bad points. Some have had better talent to work with than others. It seemed entirely permissable to challenge or question Ranieri and Puel, yet look at the situations that they had to deal with and talent available to them at the time compared to Rodgers. Just because Rodgers has a media darling image doesn't mean that he and his methods can't be criticised and at the moment and since Christmas last year, at best, to some supporters, some of his tactics, player choices, formations and inability to change things when they are going wrong seem a somewhat bizarre if not a little stubborn at times. The club comes first and remains whatever, as does it's supporters. Managers and players are understandably transient. 

A forum is just a forum where different views are aired whether we agree or disagree with them or not. If members believe at any particular time that any manager is seemingly making a complete pigs ear of things to the teams detriment, then they are fully entitled to air those views. To merely semi- hero worship a manager  and ignore potential problems out of a sense of gratefulness of what's gone before or, as some pundits suggest 'know thy place', is far worse in my opinion than feeling entitled. If you don't aspire in life, you don't get.

I hope Rodgers sees us through this long, now more than a blip situation. However, supporters shouldn't stop airing their views just because some think we shouldn't because we're so very lucky to have him at little old Leicester. Rodgers was lucky to get the opportunity at Leicester when he did when many of the behind the scenes problems had been solved by others and recruitment had also been good.

Nailed it.  Excellent appraisal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Firstly, I apologise for my typo as I meant 2021 but I suppose 2020 is quite relevant too.

But, for the last two seasons it seemed that we started well when the players seemed relatively unfettered by Rodgers micromanaging interference. We played fast fluid football and confidencewas high. On one occasion Rodgers appeared to get the ump albeit because of this fluid style, we were leading handsomely against a vastly inferior West Brom side. 

I remember changes in tactics against sides like Norwich who previously couldn't buy a goal or a Southampton side who we'd previously beaten by 9 goals.

Unnecessary defensive possession football against poor teams, round pegs in square holes when despite injuries, it really didn't have to be that way in some people's minds. It all seemed to smack of overthinking, desperation to stick slavishly to a particular philosophy whether certain players were capable or fitting in or not (mild shades of Paulo Sousa if you like). Both times, supporters could see that Champions League football was avoidably being ripped from their grasp, those expectations being not unreasonable due to the commanding points tally we had at the time and certainly not because of a spoiled sense of entitlement. I think Leicester supporters are very well aware, bar the odd few, of who we are and where we've come from, particularly those of us that have been watching them since the 60s.

All managers have some good points and bad points. Some have had better talent to work with than others. It seemed entirely permissable to challenge or question Ranieri and Puel, yet look at the situations that they had to deal with and talent available to them at the time compared to Rodgers. Just because Rodgers has a media darling image doesn't mean that he and his methods can't be criticised and at the moment and since Christmas last year, at best, to some supporters, some of his tactics, player choices, formations and inability to change things when they are going wrong seem a somewhat bizarre if not a little stubborn at times. The club comes first and remains whatever, as does it's supporters. Managers and players are understandably transient. 

A forum is just a forum where different views are aired whether we agree or disagree with them or not. If members believe at any particular time that any manager is seemingly making a complete pigs ear of things to the teams detriment, then they are fully entitled to air those views. To merely semi- hero worship a manager  and ignore potential problems out of a sense of gratefulness of what's gone before or, as some pundits suggest 'know thy place', is far worse in my opinion than feeling entitled. If you don't aspire in life, you don't get.

I hope Rodgers sees us through this long, now more than a blip situation. However, supporters shouldn't stop airing their views just because some think we shouldn't because we're so very lucky to have him at little old Leicester. Rodgers was lucky to get the opportunity at Leicester when he did when many of the behind the scenes problems had been solved by others and recruitment had also been good.

Spot on. 

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

I get that people want the club to keep improving but saying we've regressed is just fvcking idiotic. 

I think it depends how its looked at, have we regressed since he joined the club? no.

However he started out like lightning and have our performance regressed since that start? then yes.  The football we was playing in his first season and a half was amazing.

Its that first season and half and the fact he has won two trophies I am giving him time, he has done it before so there is the hope we can go back to the positive approach to games.  It doesnt make him immune to criticism but will mean I wont call for his head unless things get urgent.

Also for what its worth I dont agree with booing during games.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think Leicester supporters are very well aware, bar the odd few, of who we are and where we've come from, particularly those of us that have been watching them since the 60s.

Aside: I think there's a natural assumption for the individual to think they are pretty much representative of a broader view. That is, we all support Leicester therefore we must all like the same things (pork pies, stilton... I dunno, whatever) I don't think this is the case and, more importantly, not in the numbers that we will naturally assume. Being fans in the 60s does not guarantee a homogenous group. There will be a diversity of opinion even amongst that cohort.

Add to that the groups of younger fans, who maybe started supporting in the 80s or whatever, or the newer yet recruits encouraged into the KP by the incredible events and plans of our new ownwers. Each group has its own backdrop, it's own frame of reference - expectations shaped differently to yours/mine due to their upbringings and generational differences. I mentioned before the excellent article (by the Liverpool fan) about the social media generation - it was fascinating and reshaped my thinking.  Point being, there is a difference in expectation and expression born of the generational difference, more particularly by what the newer generation are familair with as a daily modus-operandi (if I can put it like that)

I think we see that diversity not only in the faces of the crowd but also in the way they might support their team. That is to say, as a summary soundbite type thing, you might well have shared the same experiences as other fans but that doesn't mean you'll see things the same way today.

Back on topic: I like BR, I think he'll do us just fine. He has his personality traits certainly, as we all do, but nothing that I think will sink us. He certainly knows a damned sight more about football than I do so I accept his judgements even when I might not see the sense. I think the impact of losing Fofona and (effectively) Evans when we did has impacted us greatly. I think BR is managing that the best he can, with the options available to him - and, to his credit, he sees that as his job and gets on with it without making a song and dance of it. A managers job is often a judgement call (even when guided by xG stats or whatever) and sometimes we all call it wrong. I reckon BR accepts that he's got it wrong sometimes (and has said that, no?) but doesn't dwell on it. Call that arrogance or stubborn if you like but it's a simple reality in my book.

We've a misfiring attack at the moment, maybe confidence impacted by our obvious defensive frailty, but it's shown it can click - so we know it's there - and I think it'll come right in due course. I reckon we just need weather this particular storm and hope that the fans (of whatever era) in the ground get behind the team rather than throw the toys simply because we're playing rubbish at the moment. 

Edited by drumbeat
  • Like 3

Right now it feels like there's so many questions that Rodgers needs to answer but I think with a huge slice of good luck for once and Jonny Evans staying fit for a good run of games that we might settle down and can start to build up a bit of momentum.

Saturday was a classic example of a team whose been under par for quite some time and just when it finally looks better going forward, still seemed destined to make errors and concede goals. 

At least we are starting to improve going forward, at least Tielemans is back in the groove, at least Vardy is scoring a plethora of goals from open play. 

Rodgers needs to get his man management skills on the go and get some belief back in to them all, we are more than capable and things change so quickly in football. He does need to swallow his pride when it comes to Iheanacho, I think if he doesn't he is risking a hell of a lot that could cost him in the short and long term.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

What an excellent post! I enjoyed reading that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Right now it feels like there's so many questions that Rodgers needs to answer but I think with a huge slice of good luck for once and Jonny Evans staying fit for a good run of games that we might settle down and can start to build up a bit of momentum.

Saturday was a classic example of a team whose been under par for quite some time and just when it finally looks better going forward, still seemed destined to make errors and concede goals. 

At least we are starting to improve going forward, at least Tielemans is back in the groove, at least Vardy is scoring a plethora of goals from open play. 

Rodgers needs to get his man management skills on the go and get some belief back in to them all, we are more than capable and things change so quickly in football. He does need to swallow his pride when it comes to Iheanacho, I think if he doesn't he is risking a hell of a lot that could cost him in the short and long term.

...do you believe that Youri not signing his contract is having an adverse effect on the team at present!!!

I (perhaps naively) believe he is staying, but you can't help but wonder if the players worry about these things, and it manifest itself as indifference, our do they just focus on their own games, day to day.

22 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...do you believe that Youri not signing his contract is having an adverse effect on the team at present!!!

I (perhaps naively) believe he is staying, but you can't help but wonder if the players worry about these things, and it manifest itself as indifference, our do they just focus on their own games, day to day.

No I don't think it's having any impact at all. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Possibly, I do think unsettled Chilwell was affecting the team couple of seasons back.

On 26/09/2021 at 09:28, Master Fox said:

We've regressed under Brendan. Everyone talks up our "recruitment" but the last 2 or 3 windows have been poor in terms of quality signings. All of the half decent players we signed were under Puel. The early signs are there that we're heading for the deep shit if things don't change soon. 

And you call yourself Master Fox.

Go & troll the Forest site..

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Possibly, I do think unsettled Chilwell was affecting the team couple of seasons back.

...I  suppose you have to have a mindset, that you keep your head down and work on your own game!!!

Just putting myself in the position of one of the players and I would be concerned about the uncertainty surrounding the club at the moment. If a very influential player in the team is unwilling to commit himself  to the club, you then look at a possible decline and wait to see what the club choose to do, in order to be reassured.

If Youri  said he was leaving then the club could plan for that and you will keep an eye out, for potential replacements that would be banded about.

There is a lot of disquiet at the club at the moment and too many strings that are unravelling at the moment. 

19 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Rodgers is no doubt a top class manager, but he will make strange decisions over the course season which prevent him from being an elite manager like Guardiola or Klopp. 

You say that but Guardiola has famously made some insane decisions in European games that have cost him. 

• Like 1

@volpeazzurro I don't like the 'entitled' label either. It's easy and dismissive to trot out in response to peoples honestly voiced genuine concerns. Rather than consider and maybe engage with the concerns, they get thrown aside with that handy little epitath. Of course, it is also possibly justifiably used in certain cases! Say, if people do have an undue sense of expectation. One of the advantages of being a longer term fan, such as yourself, is that you do have more of an appreciation of the ups and downs, of the 'what goes around comes around', and that comes with experience. I remember the dark days around Holloway (amusing too sometimes, but also dark) Not just the relegation but the whole attitude in and around the club. Tbh, I almost gave up and was reduced to reading the results and (sometimes reviews) in the paper. I had little interest in watching, it was demoralising for me. But equally I remember well the MON years, and I cut my teeth on the Jock Wallace side that did the double over Liverpool.   

I reckon BR is one of the better managers we've ever had ime (though that is obviously difficult to gauge across the ages) and I do believe he's been having to deal with injuries in the squad that have hampered his progress - but that's all part and parcel of being a manager too.

I'm interested to see what transfer business we might do in the next window as I reckon that'll be a good indicator of where BR sees we have problems, and how urgent he sees them to be. I don't think Fofana coming back (and I'm not pinning a date, nor too much hope, on that) resolves our defensive issues. Evans being longterm out is something I personally think we have to deal with now. It was probably in the forward planning anyway but my guess is that's now become more pressing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

The only thing that gets my goat currently I think is the growing number of people that seem to think that if you dare to criticise anything our current manager does, or, cast any doubt regarding his standing by some as an 'elite' manager, then you have the accusation thrown at you as being 'entitled' as it's put. Nevertheless, those same people probably thought several of our previous managers were fair game.

I think we can see eye to eye on this. I'm all for expressing criticism, but there are many ways to do that - and some ways are not very constructive; are oversimplified or are very short-sighted. I can only speak for myself, but I will react when a certain threshold is reached with what I regard as reactionary or juvenile stuff. Probably in a similar way to you, when you've come across the 'entitled' label.

I guess my reaction stems from the growing trend of emotional outbursts superceding rational debate throughout society.

2 hours ago, drumbeat said:

@volpeazzurro I don't like the 'entitled' label either. It's easy and dismissive to trot out in response to peoples honestly voiced genuine concerns. Rather than consider and maybe engage with the concerns, they get thrown aside with that handy little epitath.

You mean like this?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cbedr65k8yc3k6rcff

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
21 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

But gets away with it because he has the players and strength in depth. 

Pep is basically ten times the Manager that BR aspires to be - how can you compare the two?

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

don't think shifting out Preat was a good idea bit of a weird one as much as I like BR he does make some odd decisions at times maybe its effecting things slightly.

• Like 2