Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

5 minutes ago, Jock's Hill said:

But at least they got stuck in and made some deals happen - at least 3 in and 3 out in a day.

they don’t pay the ridiculous wages to average players that we do 

Just now, StanSP said:

Just had a terrible, terrible thought. 

Villa sack Gerrard. Villa make an approach for Rodgers. 

Rodgers is then given a new contract here. 

Help! 

Won’t happen 

it’s probably the reason we haven’t briefed against the manager yet in the media 

3 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

Rodgers is more culpable for our style of play and how we approach a game than he is for transfers. This notion that all the players he has signed are rubbish is lunacy. Rodgers hasn't signed any players, the club sign them. It's not the 70's anymore these clubs are massive businesses and they sign the players they want for the fees and wages they agree to. I'm sure Rodgers does have some input but I imagine that input to be what areas need strengthening and this is a list of players we can get which would fit your system best.

If you think Rodgers said I need a CB, I want Vestergaard pay whatever it takes, you're insane.

I understand that, but HE brought Lee Congerton to the club, who is directly culpable.

• Like 2

Liverpool fans know exactly what the problem is fans of other clubs haven't seen the issues that we have. Rodgers did well initially with us because we already had great players in and the previous manger despite being a terrible coach was excellent in the transfer market. It's no surprise to me that this is the longest he has ever been at a club. He will do very well to begin with as he will get the best out of the squad that is available but then he uses that to take control of the club and the transfers which he is absolutely appalling at. Fans that don't see this feel sorry for him and he will get a job elsewhere as he is a master blagger. He is a decent coach and in a club where someone else was handling all aspects of transfers then he would be fine for a few years at any club but ultimately he will get his claws in sign worse players than are already there and you end up with a massively inflated squad. He had plenty of money and squandered it so nobody can blame the club for not wanting to give him a load of money again, without getting rid of some of the players he signed and overpaid for. Even the targets that were mentioned were really poor so there was no sign that he would have signed anyone decent anyway. Ultimately the biggest problem we have is his contract which means we are stuck with someone that we can't get rid of and there is no way he will walk away and sacking will be difficult. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I understand that, but HE brought Lee Congerton to the club, who is directly culpable.

We needed a new HOR 

he suggested his mate

he would argue that it wasn’t his decision 

plenty of people know about congerton’s skeletons in cupboards but it seems that our board were naive enough to ignore what they must have been told 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

We still had half a decent recruitment team at that point. BR and Congers have clearly left it in a worse state than they found it.

Stupid of the board to let BR bring his own man in. 

The majority of his own coaching staff are toilet too. We should be employing the best people, not those clinging to Todgers tail. The rot is deep. Getting rid of Congerton was a step forward, but the road to redemption is long. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

There's 33 games left... 

Sure and if the current trajectory is followed we'll end up with 5 points all season.

I've not seen anything to suggest there has been any improvement especially defensively. 

I’m fairly confident that our lack of spending is semi related to having a transfer fund in place for a new coach next summer 

yes it helps our uefa ffp for the next calendar year but a new coach is going to want to make changes to the squad. There are a few out of contract so I would expect to see 6 minimum coming in next summer. 

13 hours ago, The Guvnor said:

I’m not missing any point, BR was tapping up players pre season, do you honestly think he would have been doing that without speaking to the owners.

No, I don't think that. I'm quite sure the board knew what Rodgers was doing and he was acting with their blessing. But, with all due respect, you have missed my point - so I'll try and be clearer. You suggest a failure of communication, I say it didn't (necessarily) fail. You'd even accept it was working in at least one direction (Rodgers speaking to potential signings and letting the board know about it) I'd suggest to you that the board communicated fully with Rodgers to the best of its (then current) knowledge.

My point was that maybe the board was not aware (or at least not fully aware) of the financial pressures it was facing until later, until after Rodgers had started talking to players. At worst, perhaps the board had an optimism that they'd be able to find a way, to find some means of making signings, but it proved not to be. Somebody somewhere crunched the numbers and had an 'oh shit' moment. The board then communicated that finding to Rodgers, as soons as they'd become aware of it. We heard of it only after Rodgers voiced his disappointment and we naturally assumed a chain of events. I suggest that assumption might be incorrect - the board hid nothing from Rodgers and he was 100% in the picture the whole time (and I imply no fault on anyone - except perhaps the number cruncher for not having done the maths sooner!) 

9 minutes ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

The board need to grow a set an act now. The rot has well and truly infected the club. Every game they give BR from now is them throwing away a result. 

I said if we had 7 to 10 points by end of Sept it wouldn't be a bad return. Now it's looking for very unlikely that we'll even reach that figure.

Losing causes a lack of confidence and then it increases anxiety and apathy.

8 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

is it simply just down to the finances that he hasn't been sacked? i cant think of a single reason why they think he should stay other than that. im now very worried about relegation and i can’t believe im saying that.

I suppose they have to weigh up the finances of sacking him against relegation.

I think he would have resigned by now if he was going to resign over the transfer situation. So the ideal situation may be for Villa or Wolves to come after him.

14 minutes ago, reynard said:

Possibly but it certainly has a number of players who don't want to be here any longer and haven't for some time. I've not a lot of sympathy for him but the way the club have dealt with this summer's transfer window is nothing short of disgraceful and quite possibly incompetent.

Sadly I'm starting to be reminded of two of our worst periods in the top flight.

1 The terrible season under Frank McLintock where a combination of ageing players and ineffective big signings led to the same type of football we're seeing now. Lethargic, low on confidence, leaderless and ineffective in front of goal. Result relegation with the fewest goals scored in the top flight in a season at the time.

2 The demise under Peter Taylor, again loss of a key player, followed by poor but expensive replacements. Then the debacle of the FA Cup match against Wycombe where we lost to a goal by a guy bought off the internet. For Wycombe read Notts forest last season.  Now we are playing just like McLintock's team.

It is clear we need a change of manager but I'm worried it could be too late now. We needed to shift out more players who want away and bring in some fresh ones that have something to prove and with some quality. We failed on both accounts and now have an obsession with cutting our cloth, probably the right long term strategy, but risking everything in the short term.

There are a lot of big problems at the club right now and the manager is just one of them.

You can remove the disease agent from the body, but that doesn’t mean all the damage it caused will instantly be healed.  Especially when the disease has had a long time to wreak that damage.

Basically, Rodgers is long COVID.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We needed a new HOR 

he suggested his mate

he would argue that it wasn’t his decision 

plenty of people know about congerton’s skeletons in cupboards but it seems that our board were naive enough to ignore what they must have been told 

Maybe he did suggest him but it's Leicester city's choice to employ him. I'm quite sure the scouting/recruitment team at City is extensive. You are operating on a reality level I can't, if you believe Rodgers signs the players, even via congerton.

It's crazy town stuff. These deals are for tens of millions. The club have to do their due diligence and Rodgers will not be a part of that. 

How we operate on the field of play, he's totally culpable. We do look bereft of most things during games atm.