Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

12 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Definitely a bit of a social media blackout tonight. Club feed is quiet, no posts from the players. Definitely afoot I think.

He will probably be pulled for a meeting this evening and will be announced in the morning.

Don’t really do Twitter or Instagram etc but silly question, does this ‘silence’ have any potential indication that a big announcement maybe due?  Are the players more prominent than this on social media after games? Maybe @Ramadaone is correct when surmising he won’t be here for the Villa match?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Madness if he is showing up as Leicester Manager tomorrow morning. Absolute madness. All that is left is for Rodgers to call Top a **** and Susan a shit shag. 

He basically calling them out and saying “you ain’t got the balls”

Susan is not a shit shag. How dare he! 

26 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Dyche kept Burnley up for years with Ashley Barnes as a main striker, for all those knocking him look what he worked with it is not just what they could pay for players but the pay structure. A short term contract to sort out a short term problem, 

Ok, so that’s where we are at now? We want someone just to keep us up season after season at any cost?

Christ, I think Rodger’s constant downplaying of this squad and club has seeped into the fans.

We have a squad of international players. We have a fair number that are wanted by some of the biggest clubs in Europe. We have one of the best training grounds around, owners who are widely regarded as some of the best and a stadium revamp coming soon. Yes we have financial issues now, but hopefully this summer plus losing a few more high earners next summer should solve that.

This is a good squad. More than good enough to be top half. A new man, pretty much any new man, should be able to inject some life into us in the short term. Even Claude Puel managed it for a bit.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

What is this ridiculous nonsense about Nigel Pearson? Absolutely nonsensical to take him over Dyche, a manager who kept a shit team up for a long time, and possibly would have kept Burnley up last season. Pearson's done nothing since leaving Leicester and he's a mediocre Championship manager at best. 

The sentimentalism is ridiculous. 

Most of it is just a case of having to correct people for saying things like 'Pearson's a mediocre Championship manager at best'. You might not like him, and might not want him back, but to say something like that betrays either a personal agenda or a lack of knowledge. We're going to have the same problem, I guess, with people saying that Brendan Rodgers was worse than Pleat, Taylor, Levein, or whoever, when clearly he wasn't.

Dyche is a good manager. He took Burnley up (twice), kept them up for several years, and also got them relegated once, leaving before they went down a second time. Therefore he's not necessarily a wonderful EPL manager, nor necessarily a survival expert. But yeah, I agree he's good. He might even be able to do a job for us now.

Pearson is also a good manager. He took Leicester up (twice, including once ahead of Burnley), kept us up (when Burnley went down), and created a title-winning side in the process. I'd say he did alright at that level, and was rewarded by being included on the shortlist for manager of the year in 2015. At Watford, he took over a side which was adrift and was surprisingly sacked when they were three points clear. Again, I saw little to suggest he's not up to the job. As for mediocre Championship manager. Again, that's just so obviously, factually, the opposite of the truth that it's funny. He's one of only four managers in that division to have won promotion to the EPL, currently sits third with a team with one of the division's tightest budgets, and has never been relegated from that or any other division in his career.

I agree that there's no need to derail everything by making it about Pearson. But if people are eager for Dyche to be given the chance, and want to compare him favourably to Pearson, then it's at least important to portray things in a way that vaguely resembles reality. I'm not sure he's the right person at the moment either, because (a) he's under contract, (b) I wonder whether he's still up for the hustle and bustle of the EPL on a personal level, (c) he often needs time to get to the core of a club's problems, and we have a lot of problems but very little time.

But if we're talking about Dyche, then Pearson is also a sensible suggestion. In only one full year at this level, he crafted a side which was better than anything Dyche, or any of the other managers who may be interested, could ever dream of. In fact, I once went along with the notion that Rodgers was an 'elite' manager, but when you come to think of it, for all the millions he spent here or at Liverpool, he still didn't manage to create a team which could reach the heights of the one we put together, under Pearson, for a mere thirty or forty million quid.

• Like 1

Just now, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Don’t really do Twitter or Instagram etc but silly question, does this ‘silence’ have any potential indication that a big announcement maybe due?  Are the players more prominent than this on social media after games? Maybe @Ramadaone is correct when surmising he won’t be here for the Villa match?

Yeah it is a little suspicious. 

Usually the Twitter is filled with pictures of players clapping people giving them the willy puller sign and players giving shitty quotes like 'The fans did amazing, but we lost because I needed a shit all second half. Was touching cloth and this made my defending erratic.' 

Just now, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Absolutely no significance. 

They post a message after such an abject display, it opens them up to every keyboard warrior going. It would be masochistic to post tonight

Usually at least one of the players has come out by now and posted regarding the result, I do wish they have been told to keep quiet because something is going to be announced but deep down I just think maybe they are all embarrassed by that performance 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Dyche kept Burnley up for years with Ashley Barnes as a main striker, for all those knocking him look what he worked with it is not just what they could pay for players but the pay structure. A short term contract to sort out a short term problem, 

:thumbup: Correct. Wouldn’t have gone for dyche a few weeks back but now I would swap him for Rodger’s in a heartbeat. 

30 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Steady downward decline from 5th to what, 8th? lol I get that we're bottom, I get that if Rodgers were to finish the season with us the odds would be astronomical for us to finish 8th or higher this season. But we're 6 games into the season having had a fairly difficult start (albeit with two very winnable home games which we took 1pt from). Don't get me wrong I want him gone now and can't see him turning this around even if he did get a few more weeks, but its a bit OTT

Fair enough on his initial success, but it's not OTT if we go down which is what happens if he stays until January. The end result is still taking a top half minimum Premier League team into a championship team and inevitable adminstration to match with our current money worries.

Hopefully we intervene before that becomes unstoppable but the parallels are there.

I don't know why I'm defending this point anyway as I never brought up Taylor myself but still... 😆

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Very few players are going to want to come to us if Sean Dyche is the manager. You can also kiss goodbye to attracting talent in departments like data analytics, sports science etc as Dyche is well known to be sceptical about those things. He belongs in the Championship.

I don’t need to have a list of alternatives to be express my opinion regarding Dyche. There are plenty of other options out there to explore before we end up going nuclear and hiring a Dyche, Pearson, Benetiz etc.

Who exactly do you think wants to come now then ? The whole of Rochdales first team ?

1 minute ago, Mee-9 said:

Yeah it is a little suspicious. 

Usually the Twitter is filled with pictures of players clapping people giving them the willy puller sign and players giving shitty quotes like 'The fans did amazing, but we lost because I needed a shit all second half. Was touching cloth and this made my defending erratic.' 

Cheers 😂

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

Ok, so that’s we’re we are at now? We want someone just to keep us up season after season at any cost?

Christ, I think Rodger’s constant downplaying of this squad and club has seeped into the fans.

We have a squad of international players. We have a fair number that are wanted by some of the biggest clubs in Europe. We have one of the best training grounds around, owners who are widely regarded as some of the best and a stadium revamp coming soon. Yes we have financial issues now, but hopefully this summer plus losing a few more high earners next summer should solve that.

This is a good squad. More than good enough to be top half. A new man, pretty much any new man, should be able to inject some life into us in the short term. Even Claude Puel managed it for a bit.

Why can't Dyche finish top half with us? He managed 7th with Burnley! 

• Like 1

Amongst many errors, his calling out of Caglar on Thursday night stinks the most. Basically accusing him of not trying in training.

Let’s say it’s true, and Cags isn’t focussed in training.

What do you as a manager?

a) have an honest conversation one to one and work through the issues?

b) call him out in a live interview ?

Cags is an experienced Premier League centre back. Yes he’s had a bad season. But he’s 26.

This is basic management failure by Rogers. Utterly immature of him, and tells us volumes about him as a person.

Disgusting and amateurish behaviour.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Barnes wasn’t the main striker. It was Chris Wood and when Dyche had his moment to fresh it up, he went with Weghorst and it was a failure. 

Had his biggest opportunity to be expansive last season and backfired. 

People are playing down what prospective managers will see. A lot will be confident it won’t take much to sort this season out 

Yeah, I'm with you here.

A manager with self belief would see a team that's comfortably finished in the top ten for three straight seasons with 96 points still to play for and see relegation as very avoidable indeed.

A couple of wins courtesy of a new manager bounce and we can look above rather than below us.

29 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

True. But at least he’s done that having actually finished in the top six with them a couple of times and won the FA Cup along the way. There’s no way on god’s green earth that compares with Taylor’s remarkable achievement of turning a top-half team into a disaster zone in a matter of months, and then signing Dennis Wise just to ice the nightmare cake.

(Edited to point out that I am an idiot and messed up the quoting a bit)

See my response to Stinky.

2 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Most of it is just a case of having to correct people for saying things like 'Pearson's a mediocre Championship manager at best'. You might not like him, and might not want him back, but to say something like that betrays either a personal agenda or a lack of knowledge. We're going to have the same problem, I guess, with people saying that Brendan Rodgers was worse than Pleat, Taylor, Levein, or whoever, when clearly he wasn't.

Dyche is a good manager. He took Burnley up (twice), kept them up for several years, and also got them relegated once, leaving before they went down a second time. Therefore he's not necessarily a wonderful EPL manager, nor necessarily a survival expert. But yeah, I agree he's good. He might even be able to do a job for us now.

Pearson is also a good manager. He took Leicester up (twice, including once ahead of Burnley), kept us up (when Burnley went down), and created a title-winning side in the process. I'd say he did alright at that level, and was rewarded by being included on the shortlist for manager of the year in 2015. At Watford, he took over a side which was adrift and was surprisingly sacked when they were three points clear. Again, I saw little to suggest he's not up to the job. As for mediocre Championship manager. Again, that's just so obviously, factually, the opposite of the truth that it's funny. He's one of only four managers in that division to have won promotion to the EPL, currently sits third with a team with one of the division's tightest budgets, and has never been relegated from that or any other division in his career.

I agree that there's no need to derail everything by making it about Pearson. But if people are eager for Dyche to be given the chance, and want to compare him favourably to Pearson, then it's at least important to portray things in a way that vaguely resembles reality. I'm not sure he's the right person at the moment either, because (a) he's under contract, (b) I wonder whether he's still up for the hustle and bustle of the EPL on a personal level, (c) he often needs time to get to the core of a club's problems, and we have a lot of problems but very little time.

But if we're talking about Dyche, then Pearson is also a sensible suggestion. In only one full year at this level, he crafted a side which was better than anything Dyche, or any of the other managers who may be interested, could ever dream of. In fact, I once went along with the notion that Rodgers was an 'elite' manager, but when you come to think of it, for all the millions he spent here or at Liverpool, he still didn't manage to create a team which could reach the heights of the one we put together, under Pearson, for a mere thirty or forty million quid.

At last ,some common sense !

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

You are taking like it’s March. We have 32 matches to go and I’m pretty confident that anyone, even a caretaker, will improve this team in the short term. So many of our issues stem from Rodgers.

Dyche would be a disaster in the long run. Within a few months we’ll all be sick of the style of play, sick of his nonsense in interviews and wondering why players like Maddison are desperate to get away.

Plus I’m doubtful that he could get a tune out of this squad. Tactically the squad is far from suited to his style and then there is the personality of our players. Dyche needs no nonsense, hard working professionals. Albrighton, Vardy and Evans would be ok, but I can’t see the rest being enthused by the thought of being managed by him. 

Burnley fans were glad to see the back of him. That says it all.

It would only need to be a short term appointment. Something to get the team back on track. Usually it needs to be a hard ass grump who plays slightly scrappy football. But dot forget his resources we’re far inferior to ours. 

Dyche might not be the most disastrous appointment short term….. and I do mean short term. He regains some credibility, we regain some stability and then it gives us time to identify a proper long term manager, once we’re financially able to. 

But I trust the club to make the right decisions.

The suggestion of Dyche isn't totally deluded by any means. He can operate on a tight budget and fits the mould of bringing through and selling young players.  

Whilst not in my choice of top 3 candidates the reason he's tempting is something we are forgetting.....the players have played a big part in this too. Yes BR is a total **** and needs to have gone about a year ago........but he's not on that pitch....he hasn't bee the one defending corners (or not as the case may be). A lot of them need an authoritarian to come and remind them of their basic duty. 

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I wonder if things would be different if this hadn't happened?

Leicester City's Wesley Fofana Suffers Suspected Broken Leg During Friendly  Match

No Southampton rejects panic bought on silly contracts = money may have been available this summer?

That said, not sure BR would have spent it wisely.

That my friend, is the butterfly effect. 

The Rangnick farce showed the problems of a caretaker manager, especially when a fair few of the players here won't be 100% invested in a fight to survive. 

The thing with Dyche is the unknown of whether he can be adaptable in his style of football. Burnley undoubtedly pigeonholed him, but other than the playing style he has all off the other characteristics which we require at this point in time: using lack of funds to create a seige mentality, strong on discipline, level headed, defensive organisation. Burnleys players ran through walls for him for years.

I'm not convinced that he would be a good long-term fit because I just don't know whether he can produce a team that placed high pressure attacking football. There's been interviews where he says he can. But at this stage I reckon our best option is to give him the chance on a two year deal to provide the certainty that United lacked with Rangnick, but with a break clause in the summer if we don't finish 12th or above. 

If he gets us going enough to finish in that position from where are now given the negativity and mood around the club, he'd deserve a second year.

I don't think there has ever been a Leicester manager that has incited such hatred inside the fanbase with his ridiculous quotes and agenda in the following weeks. 

Many couldn't stand Claude Puel, but he never went this far. 

16 minutes ago, Joefox said:

The right man for this club right now is the one who can prevent us getting relegated.

Exactly. We wish for a manager that can galvanise and sort the defence out first and foremost. Staying in the division is of paramount importance I couldn’t care less how that is done at this moment. 

• Like 2