Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

There is constant mutterings amongst the punter class of how good BR is and how he will go on to lead a big club again one day. i don't see it, he has never done anything in European competitions and the 'big' clubs crave the European stage. The worst ignominy was when the real first team Celtic (not the bigger than Leicester City reserves) lost to the part timers of Gibraltar. His European adventures with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester City have little of note to show prospective 'big' clubs in the European dreams.

The team this season is a misfortune on top of bad luck with players who were automatic picks in the guise of little Wes and James Justin on the long term sick and other brilliant players like Ricardo are yet to recover their full prowess following a long term injury. Its not the ideal team today delivering far from ideal performances and results. That is not BR's fault but the panic buys this Summer are looking just that with many unable to gain game time when the results are going badly, so when will they, and those that are aren't exactly inspiring us with a lot of confidence.

Roll on 2022/3 for a better outlook after a forgettable 2021/22 that will see us flirting with the third relegation slot but in the end, escaping to a position of rank mediocrity at the end of a long, dull and settling into a very frustrating season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Rodgers has instilled this mentality over the past year or so. Numerous games he couldn’t wait to lambast them for rushing or playing the forward pass too early, when we were playing much better than this.

I’m not sure what he’s looking for but it can’t be healthy to be this obsessed with something that doesn’t work.

There was a really telling moment in the game last night.

Soyuncu was in space on the left in our own half. Can't remember who was on the ball but we had possession halfway up our half centrally. We found a pass forward which almost freed Daka. It was a rare glimmer of excitement that something might have happened. 

Soyuncu absolutely lambasted the player that played it forward. He wanted the ball played sideways to him. 

That says a lot. That says that's the way they're being told to play. If there is space, play the side way pass. There's no way Soyuncu would have got so riled up by it otherwise. It's not as though he had acres to run into or any real opportunity.

• Like 1

We played poorly, not for the first time this season. Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed.

But

What will our esteemed ex rivals fron notts, derby etc. be thinking when they read some of the comments in this thread?

That we have turned into arsenal/spurs type fans that are entitled to win every game & will moan like **** if we dont.

All teams lose sometimes, fact.

We have spent more on trophy polish this year than any other time in our history.

Enjoy our lofty heights while they last.

11 hours ago, Thefoxman said:

What's he say post match?

Pretty much the same his said after a number of recent matches; we lacked intent for the first 60 minutes but controlled the game, and we showed commitment and passion in the last 30 and were unlucky.

Personally, I think he just reads out his game plan. The same plan he has every week.

And by 'control' he means possession. I'll paraphrase; we have a lot of ball and do sod all with it. It's not control if your opponent is happy to let you do it.

As people might detect, I'm starting to loose patience. We've been seeing the same lack of progression for some weeks now.  The same 'patient' approach, and its ineffectiveness. We can't blame our injury list (and, to be fair, it is a significant problem for us) for the laborious nature in which we move into attack mode.

A few times last night, Legia had committed men forward and broken defensive shape. We won back possession, and then proceeded to take our time moving the ball forward. By the time we were ready, they'd reset defensively. We've seen it too often. It's like we have some gentlemen's agreement and we won't attack until they're ready. Like we want to score only the beautiful goals with flicks and tricks that leaves their defenders on their arses.

Our championship winning side would love to play us today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of Brendan's biggest downfalls this season was his decision to bench our most in form player. In my opinion, we'd have a lot more points if Iheanacho was starting games instead of Maddison. Also, Madders would have benefited greatly by coming on for the last 20 minutes and working his way back to full fitness.

Edited by Shane

16 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Pretty much the same his said after a number of recent matches; we lacked intent for the first 60 minutes but controlled the game, and we showed commitment and passion in the last 30 and were unlucky.

Personally, I think he just reads out his game plan. The same plan he has every week.

And by 'control' he means possession. I'll paraphrase; we have a lot of ball and do sod all with it. It's not control if your opponent is happy to let you do it.

As people might detect, I'm starting to loose patience. We've been seeing the same lack of progression for some weeks now.  The same 'patient' approach, and its ineffectiveness. We can't blame our injury list (and, to be fair, it is a significant problem for us) for the laborious nature in which we move into attack mode.

A few times last night, Legia had committed men forward and broken defensive shape. We won back possession, and then proceeded to take our time moving the ball forward. By the time we were ready, they'd reset defensively. We've seen it too often. It's like we have some gentlemen's agreement and we won't attack until they're ready. Like we want to score only the beautiful goals with flicks and tricks that leaves their defenders on their arses.

Our championship winning side would love to play us today.

I miss that gritty, pain in the arse to play against Leicester.  We're so easy to play against nowadays. As you say teams let us have the ball as they know we have no real penetration and that we'll make a mistake sooner or later. I bet Norwich wish they could have another go at us 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

I’ve thought it for a while but it seems like the team is over coached at times. Everything is very deliberate and methodical, alway keeping shape and position, and normally always played in front of the opposition. 

Id love for us to be a little more off the cuff when attacking, players actually roaming from positions, creating overloads, players running beyond, breaking lines.

Its all very safe and very predicable, easy to play against. When Rodgers first came, it was all about possession with purpose, let’s get back to that and let the handbrake off Brendan !

• Like 3

At this time we just need a win to get some momentum and I would have like us starting with a more attacking line up - I thought we were supposed to be the favourites.

It was a bit disappointing to see our game changing players such as Vardy, Lookman, Barnes and Madders coming on so late. I don't think the experiment with a back 3 worked because the defensive work and distribution was so poor that the wing backs couldn't get going. Defensively, missing Fofana (and of course Evans)  seems to be having the same effect on the defence as losing Kante did to the midfield when he left. As others have said the passing was generally sideways or backwards but when risks were taken they gave the ball away which added to the negativity. Some of the newer players looked tentative and there were several unforced errors- however if you get thrown in to a game like this in an intimidating atmosphere experience is needed.

We are not going to be able to defend for 90mins against Palace and we need to play to our strengths rather than worrying about the opposition . Otherwise, I can see us chasing the game after a poor start which has been a theme this season.

Guest Danny Clender

Reading the comments about letting Brendan go, it makes me happy I'm not that type of Leicester fan, seriously.

These spells are part of the game and complete the total challenge of sport, we evolve, we adapt, we ride the high and low tides, Foxes never quit and all that. 

Let the manager work things out.

That said, if people are advocating a mystery overnight sacking and re-hiring to stimulate our season, I'm all for that. 

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

He was sacked at the end of February, a whole five months further on than we are now. 

Saying they wouldn’t even be thinking about it now, doesn’t mean they won’t be thinking about it in three months time. 

Also, nobody said he couldn’t come under scrutiny. That’s rather different than people literally suggesting he should be sacked right now.

Fair points … Claudio was given the extra time due to the phenomenal achievements of the season before. Not sure the FA Cup win will afford BR similar time IF things don’t improve.

Scrutiny and Sacked come hand in hand as one relates to a decline in performance and the other is the consequence. I just hope we can get 3 massive points vs Palace and then use the international break to get our house in order. 

Elite managers adapt and find away to win .  He is a fraud we all know it , we’ve been told by other teams for a long time .  I’m in the get out camp .  Rather take a absolute risk and take fat Frank , terry , than this clown .  He can take his donkeys he’s been filling in behind the scenes in the back room team , it’s slowly eroding what we built from 2013.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Are we not looking a bit higher than avoiding relegation now though?

Feels like you're stuck in a time where the club doesn't have a manager on 10 million a year and a squad thats been capable of 2 top 4 pushes on the trot.

Let's just say, unless we look like getting relegated from the football league, just give him chance to turn it around

Clubs and teams have ups and downs. You don’t sack a manger for being a few points of where we realistically expect to be. He’s been one of the most successful managers in our history and has been partly responsible for those top four pushes. 

Anything other than just letting him get on with job is frankly idiotic at this moment in time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

Elite managers adapt and find away to win .  He is a fraud we all know it , we’ve been told by other teams for a long time .  I’m in the get out camp .  Rather take a absolute risk and take fat Frank , terry , than this clown .  He can take his donkeys he’s been filling in behind the scenes in the back room team , it’s slowly eroding what we built from 2013.  

Rather take Lampard who couldn’t get a tune out of a great Chelsea squad. Laughable.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Fair points … Claudio was given the extra time due to the phenomenal achievements of the season before. Not sure the FA Cup win will afford BR similar time IF things don’t improve.

Scrutiny and Sacked come hand in hand as one relates to a decline in performance and the other is the consequence. I just hope we can get 3 massive points vs Palace and then use the international break to get our house in order. 

Pretty sure two fifth places and an fa cup will be held in equal regard. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

I'm getting pissed off with BR but this is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Pretty sure two fifth places and an fa cup will be held in equal regard. 

I suggest that depends on whether the owners regard those finishes as an achievement, or a disappointing capitulation (as many of we fans do).

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I suggest that depends on whether the owners regard those finishes as an achievement, or a disappointing capitulation (as many of we fans do).

It’s higher than what we would have targeted and thus a success, despite being tinged with disappointment. 

We have gone from the kings of Counter attack football in 2015/16 

To what resembles Wengers final Arsenal team.

Almost trying to walk it in, slow intricate passes around the box. 
When there appears to be 11 defenders sat deep as the build up is normally so slow.

The one good thing prior to yesterday was Lookman, it looked like he was always a threat playing direct and trying to make an impact with urgency in his game.

Maybe that’s because he hasn’t had time to adapt to BRs methods of coaching yet.

The good thing when BR took over and was in his Honeymoon period is that we still looked a threat on the break, coupled with dominating possession this is what racked up the wins.

• Like 1