Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

BR isn't the problem right now. 

Yes he is. 

You can blame injuries etc but who is instructing the 3rd and 4th choice defenders to pass out from the back? They can't do it and yet here we are, continuing to hope that miraculously they do. 

He needs to change his approach to help the players on the pitch. Our tactics are killing the players. 

• Like 1

It get the impression BR is trying to hard to make things happen, searching for a answer by changing formation and personal.

Go back to basics, play the tried and tested, round pegs in round holes. 

11 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

To what resembles Wengers final Arsenal team.

You do realise in Wenger's last season, they finished 6th, Semi Final of the Europa and lost the LC final? 

Hardly a bad team. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

He'll sort it. He's overthinking it and tinkering too much now.

It's pretty frustrating watching but on the whole we go through these spells with him. 

We're two wins away from everything being rosy again.

13 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Martin O Neill went on bad runs all the time and he's considered a god... 

Bit ot patience everyone. See where we are in the new year. Things can easily turn. 

O’Neill worked wonders with very little resources and we punched well above our weight,  that’s why he’s held in high regard.

The club has moved on since then and expectations have grown. Brendan has the best squad and facilities the club as ever had at his disposal. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that people are expecting better.

• Like 4

Rodgers doesn't do himself any favours when he says "the players have no excuses with the new training ground", but he forgets to mention himself.  I Still think he's the best manager we can get, but as with all managers they have a shelf life, I just hope it isn't that and it is just a blip!  Although it would be so Leicester to sack and manager who's won us silverware!

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Le Renard said:

Rodgers doesn't do himself any favours when he says "the players have no excuses with the new training ground", but he forgets to mention himself.  I Still think he's the best manager we can get, but as with all managers they have a shelf life, I just hope it isn't that and it is just a blip!  Although it would be so Leicester to sack and manager who's won us silverware!

Hes does it deliberately. Privately he knows he needs to deliver too.

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It get the impression BR is trying to hard to make things happen, searching for a answer by changing formation and personal.

Go back to basics, play the tried and tested, round pegs in round holes. 

You do realise in Wenger's last season, they finished 6th, Semi Final of the Europa and lost the LC final? 

Hardly a bad team. 

The fans wanted him gone “Wenger Out” 

every match towards the end of his reign.

6th at the time was bad for Arsenal.

No body is saying our team is “bad” it’s the style of play that is shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

O’Neill worked wonders with very little resources and we punched well above our weight,  that’s why he’s held in high regard.

The club has moved on since then and expectations have grown. Brendan has the best squad and facilities the club as ever had at his disposal. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that people are expecting better.

Our budget is about the 8th most in the league, so what "better" are you expecting, because we're a non shit official away from being around there. And we've been way better than that the last two seasons.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He'll sort it. He's overthinking it and tinkering too much now.

It's pretty frustrating watching but on the whole we go through these spells with him. 

We're two wins away from everything being rosy again.

..and 2 defeats away from looking for a new Manager!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

The fans wanted him gone “Wenger Out” 

every match towards the end of his reign.

6th at the time was bad for Arsenal.

No body is saying our team is “bad” it’s the style of play that is shit.

How's that work out for them?

Maybe we just need to ride the storm.

• Like 2

Before I start, I’m not Brendan out… by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have concerns going forward. 

My concern is, during Brendans tenure his bad runs have been broken by summer breaks. The last two seasons have been excellent starts, and poor finishes. Has Brendan shown that he can turn a bad situation around during the season yet? For a lot of managers it’s all so easy when things are going well, but when the going gets tough it can often expose their shortcomings as coaches, because the results aren’t coming often a change in approach is needed usually to temporarily divert away from a trusted formula until confidence is high enough to go back to it later. 

At the moment we look like we’re stuck in between a rock and a hard place, it’s clear Brendan is concerned about the defensive frailties, so he is setting the team up with that in mind, the issue is, we’re still trying to play a possession based football, whilst being not so much defensively aware, but more concerned about exposing the defence. 

Thing is, when you’re slowly passing the ball around, with little pace, tenacity and movement into spaces, it’s all too easy to defend against, because we’re clearly lacking in confidence, we often try to force a sequence of quick passes, give the ball away, and then end up being shafted because we’ve literally set up the oppositions counter attack, and without Evans commanding the back line it leaves us exposed. 

I want to see a change in tactic, it doesn’t mean we have to start smashing balls into channels for Vardy to chase, but we need to ensure that we transition quickly from defence to attack and not essentially walk to the halfway line expecting us to pass our way through the opposition and score. We could undo a team in a few passes, we’ve got the quality, Youri is as good a passer of the ball as anyone in world football, Barnes is unstoppable when he has momentum, and Lookman look later very much the same. We’ve also got a decent selection of capable attacking full backs too, so we need two switch the emphasis onto this, for now until we regain our confidence. 

The spine of the team is strong, and it is littered with talented players, but it is Brendan’s job to manage and coach the team, and I’m afraid even as a stout supporter of Brendan, he’s getting it wrong at the moment. 

Lad I work with is a “Liverpool” fan and he used to say when the going gets tough Rodgers would struggle, because he wouldn’t try to find a different way to play.

Form is a strange thing, how do the teams who ultimately win the league manage to do so? Because they can find other ways to win besides their normal template, we are capable of doing, but Rodgers needs to not be so stubborn and come up with another way to win games of football. At the moment we’re looking like a team with no answer, and with the attacking talent we have at the club this shouldn’t be the case.

I trust Brendan is smart enough to take a gamble and switch things up when it really gets to crunch time, and that’s why this weekend is so important, another fantastic opportunity for Brendan to get three points against an also labouring Palace team. 

We just need to switch things up a little bit, even if it is a simple as Youri looking into a channel to Barnes or Lookman, we need to find a way of getting the ball from the deep midfield to the attack quickly, because we all know when Vardy gets in behind, it spells danger to the Opposition, why not just be willing to concede possession and sit a little deeper and look for the counter, isn’t that exactly what palace will do to us? So turn up and start the game like that will hopefully tempt them to come at us a little bit, and leave the gaps in their defensive section of the pitch.  I have faith he will turn it around, but we all know how fickle football is, and we’ve got a hectic schedule coming up that could easily see us get sucked into a rut, or could see us push on and start getting some momentum going.

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Our budget is about the 8th most in the league, so what "better" are you expecting, because we're a non shit official away from being around there. And we've been way better than that the last two seasons.

With the squad we have I’d expect us to be qualifying for European competition every season and be able go on a good run in Europe and beat sides who aren’t much better than league one standard.

We’re not looking anywhere like being able to do that this season 

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

There's loads of issues happening simultaneously right now. Injuries for starters, and then we're going through a bit of a transition with the new signings and figuring out the best formula. Confidence is shot and individual errors at the back are costing us. I'm sure Rodgers won't be encouraging the midfield to be taking as many touches as they are at times either. 

Isn't it Brendan's job to sort out those things? The only thing out of his control is injuries. But we've done better with a worse squad before. Palace will be a big game. If we get 7 points from 7 games then it'll be harder and harder to point to other factors and give the manager a carte blanche.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

It's 6 games in after finishing 5th two years in a row and off the back of an FA cup win.

See where we are in the new year. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Yes he is. 

You can blame injuries etc but who is instructing the 3rd and 4th choice defenders to pass out from the back? They can't do it and yet here we are, continuing to hope that miraculously they do. 

He needs to change his approach to help the players on the pitch. Our tactics are killing the players. 

Their goal last night came from a kasper "pass"

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

It's 6 games in after finishing 5th two years in a row and off the back of an FA cup win.

See where we are in the new year. 

Yeah that’s fair enough but the FA cup win aside we’re on a pretty poor run and are awful to watch.

I hope he can turn it around.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Clubs and teams have ups and downs. You don’t sack a manger for being a few points of where we realistically expect to be. He’s been one of the most successful managers in our history and has been partly responsible for those top four pushes. 

Anything other than just letting him get on with job is frankly idiotic at this moment in time.

When was the last time you remember us putting a run of good performances together out of interest?

I think if you thought he was doing well and we looked good last season, then calling for him to be replaced on the back of similar performances where we've not had the luck is a bit idiotic tbf.

For me, we've looked poor under him for a long time now and it's only been the pure individual quality within our team that has won ous points a lot of the time. He's a different manager to the one that took over the club for me. It's absolutely no fun watching us play and hasn't been for a good 9 months, save a few 30-45 minute performances. I'd expect the manager that has had the best squad in my lifetime to be one of the most successful managers.

The past 9 months performances have been incredibly concerning and feels like we're regressing, reminds me of Ole getting bailed out by his class players the past few seasons. They picked up far more points than their performances deserved and it's been a similar tale for us in 2021. Weirdly people only seem to acknowledge how poor we have been when we don't get the rub of the green.

18-20 rodgers I was a big fan of. 2021 Rodgers is a different manager with a different footballing philosophy and it stinks.

• Like 1