Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

17 minutes ago, lozzyblue fox said:

Came to Leicester and we started playing great football. but finished 5th twice from great champion league positions.

Yes we won the fa cup and charity shield ( by luck rather than fantastic play).

Oh no, we finished in 5th and qualified foe Europe two seasons in a row - something we've never done before...

And if you win a trophy by luck (which we didn't anyway), does that mean they count less? Does it fvck.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

I don’t get why he took Hamza off. I understand that he hasn’t played many matches but he was brilliant today and then he goes off and we concede. I can excuse Rogers for signing Bertrand and Vestergaard. The latter was signed as disparate cover and the former was signed to bring in experience. Neither player will feature when we have a fully fit squad. But why change a winning side so early? There was so much time to hang on today without a recognised CDM on the pitch once he took Hamza off. I really don’t get it.

this was the big mistakehe made to day - Jack charlton used to say he din't mess with the DM and back if he was winning.

• Like 1

At least we got something out of the game. I thought Hamza played well and there were 2 extremely well taken goals. We will be in trouble without Vardy and Iheanacho. The defence was poor but better than in some recent games. There was some decent pressing late in the first half but we fizzled out in the rain during the second period. We didn't look particularly fit or ambitious in the last 30 mins, but a return trip to Poland didn't help.

I think Rodgers will turn it around but not anywhere near top 6 this season. Losing Evans, Fofana and Wilf is like ripping the defensive backbone out of the team as that could derail any side. I'm not sure that the substitutions were the problem, although there were certainly not as effective as the Palace ones. We had stopped creating anything well before the changes were made and at 2-0 the next goal was always going to be key.

Edited by Edingleyfox

33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

From the post match interview. Fair play to him, I think it's a good assessment of the game. He's not got the blinkers on yet:

"It [the result] is disappointing. I thought we went in front against the run of play. I didn't think we played so well, but we always look like a threat when we're on the attack.

"We scored very good goals, but throughout the game, we didn't look solid defensively in the final 25 yards of the pitch. With the international breaks, that's something that gives us chance to reflect and assess where we can be better in that aspect in our game.

"We're quite a way [from fixing defensive issues] if you look at today from a team that has been defensively good and strong, but today we had poor positioning in the box. They then finished the chances.

"With the ball, we made too many mistakes, losing possession. But what I will say, it's been a tough September period and the players have dug in. We've clearly got talent in the squad, but we need to improve with and without the ball.

"It's a confidence game and, quickly, it can change. Fundamentally, in order for us to create and be really strong with the ball and attack-minded, we need to be strong defensively, and I think it's an area we need to be better in.

"We can reflect on it from the last month or so and we hopefully can be better when we get back."

That’s a proper assessment. I sometimes feel he protects the players too much. These lads have been utterly poorly this year and we need some difficult conversations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

it was 0-2 when he took hamsa off (- yes it was rocky) - the rest is history.  We simply do not have a good enough defence (any week - eg. poland) to play without a DM

We were getting battered, if he hadn't made a change he'd have been criticised for that. Anyone can be clever in hindsight but I think most would have agreed with that sub. 

20 minutes ago, lozzyblue fox said:

What makes Rogers a top class manager?

Kept Watford in the championship left to go to reading. 

Went to reading. Sacked by reading by Xmas.

Went to Swansea and guided them to the prem via play off's.

Went to Liverpool 2012 to 2016 winning nothing ( came 2nd from a winning position)

Went to Celtic after being sacked by Liverpool and won a lot of trophy's playing in a  league with hardly any opposition.

Came to Leicester and we started playing great football. but finished 5th twice from great champion league positions.

Yes we won the fa cup and charity shield ( by luck rather than fantastic play).

He has managed 6 teams in 13 years and only things he,s won is at the end of last season.

Don’t you just hate it when you fluke winning the FA Cup for the first time in 130-odd years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

From the post match interview. Fair play to him, I think it's a good assessment of the game. He's not got the blinkers on yet:

"It [the result] is disappointing. I thought we went in front against the run of play. I didn't think we played so well, but we always look like a threat when we're on the attack.

"We scored very good goals, but throughout the game, we didn't look solid defensively in the final 25 yards of the pitch. With the international breaks, that's something that gives us chance to reflect and assess where we can be better in that aspect in our game.

"We're quite a way [from fixing defensive issues] if you look at today from a team that has been defensively good and strong, but today we had poor positioning in the box. They then finished the chances.

"With the ball, we made too many mistakes, losing possession. But what I will say, it's been a tough September period and the players have dug in. We've clearly got talent in the squad, but we need to improve with and without the ball.

"It's a confidence game and, quickly, it can change. Fundamentally, in order for us to create and be really strong with the ball and attack-minded, we need to be strong defensively, and I think it's an area we need to be better in.

"We can reflect on it from the last month or so and we hopefully can be better when we get back."

Can guarantee this honesty will be skirted over when it comes to making opinions of Rodgers. It's great to see that he knows we aren't at the races sometimes. Now the test is what to do about it and galvanise the squad once again.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

9m quid a year at present does not represent value for money. 
I’m surprised tbh, I didn’t think I’d see a Rodgers side looking quite this bad. 
Now the question is has he got the minerals to turn it around because, FA cup aside, our slide goes a lot further back than to the start of this season. 
We have players looking a shadow of their former selves. Tielemans, Barnes, even Ndidi imo. Add to that list Maddison and Soyuncu and we see a side going backwards, not forwards 

No matter any one’s opinion on this, we won’t sack him, unless we’re in the bottom 3, with 10 games left. 

Like I said in the week though, if someone were to come in for him, I don’t think we’d stand in his way. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I didn't think we played so well, but we always look like a threat when we're on the attack

Really? only it seems that most of our attacks get to a certain point, run out of ideas, and end up back with Soyunchu.

We scored very good goals

Which were those? the ones gifted to us where literally only Perez could have missed?

- it's been a tough September period and the players have dug in

1-0 loss to Manchester City, fair enough

2-2 draw against Napoli, at home, where we threw away what should have been a confident win.

2-1 against Brighton....Yes, Brighton.

2-2 draw, AT HOME, to.....Burnley...

1-0 Loss to Legia Warsaw who are probably equivalent to a mid table Championship side...and...are currently losing 3-1.

I am struggling to see how September has been a tough period for any other reason than us making it so.

I am also bored of the injury excuse, we have more than enough talent still available to be performing better than we are.

I am certainly not wanting Rodgers out, but as manager, this sits on his shoulders and is his problem to sort out.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Who was the manager when we were looking at being champions league? Do you think that was just luck and then his incompetence ruined it at the end? 

Getting 5th is an achievement for this club. 

Yes, He's very much the reason we didn't qualify for Europe the first year. His failure to sign an alternative striker to back up Vardy and Kelechi was a huge mistake.

Being preoccupied with CBs.. We needed an Ulloa type of player in the squad and we still need one. That could have given us the few points we needed.

Last season he had Kelechi's goals to thank for our close finish.

Now we're totally predictable and players are pissed off with poor methods.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Can guarantee this honesty will be skirted over when it comes to making opinions of Rodgers. It's great to see that he knows we aren't at the races sometimes. Now the test is what to do about it and galvanise the squad once again.

The fans are definitely starting to turn against him, that's for sure, which I think is a real shame. I think he's an unbelievable manager and though it is possible he's taken us as far he can, that is about as high as I think we could ever realistically aim for. The Premier League was a fairy tale, but winning the FA Cup was long overdue for Leicester and last season we beat every single one of the big boys at least once. That's some going.

Everyone in life is human and makes mistakes, but Rodgers for me definitely looks at his own mistakes and tries to fix them. He tried to address a lack of physicality with Vestergaard, Bertrand and Soumare. He's brought in extra squad depth, he's eventually dropped Maddison and Perez and brought in Iheanacho and Lookman. Perhaps it's taken too long, but he has done it. Meanwhile Man City still don't have a striker and Man U still have a dodgy midfield and won't play Van de Beek, etc.

We were on a slump last season but he galvanised the team to win the FA Cup. We need something similar again this season too. Maybe having Man U as our next game is a good thing in this regard because the crowd will be up for it.

But managers don't last long. Look at coaches like Ancelotti, Lampard, Pochetino, Mouinho, etc. We even correctly binned Ranieri after he literally did the impossible. Sometimes the rot can develop within and it's not easy to turn it around...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingfox said:

The international break has come at a perfect time for us, a good period for him to reassess; however if this run of form continues after the break then he’s staring down a barrel.

It just feels very Puel esque atm, we’ve reached the point where boredom has set in, it’s starting to feel like it’s beyond repair. As @Koke alluded to as well, it has back end of his Liverpool days vibe about. He reached a high point at Liverpool which ended in disappointment, then the next season he couldn’t pick them back up. We’ve missed out on Champions League again, now he’s struggling to pick us back up after yet more disappointment.

When I watch us I just get current Arsenal vibes, a squad littered with talented players but they are far too soft, when Evans is out the equation we lack leadership and experience, for me that’s a big reason why we are struggling atm.

Having to pick people up on cliche's today.

Weren't people saying this at the last international break?

Did we reassess? Change anything? Improve?

Nope, think it's got worse if anything, can only see that continuing, because nothing changes, we just keep doing the same things over and over again expecting different results.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, brockmyster said:

Don't get the subs today. I think the critism of taking Hamza off is wrong placed, he was never gonna be able to last 90 mins at the pace he ran about at after no real game time. It was more the fact he doesn't decide to try and stamp a grip on the game and kept us at 442 when 2 up.

I'd say the more baffling move is looking at the bench at 2-1 up and going hmmm yes James Maddison now that's the man I want to bring on to see out a game out against a physical side.

100% this.