Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There are certainly a lot of questions, not lease transfers. I still can't really work out what we were doing signing Castagne over a proper left back. I'd presumed we were going to play him there eventually, as he'd had experience playing on the left, just like Ricardo and JJ. But it seems we're almost totally unwilling to now, which then begs the question if you trusted Justin enough to cover left back, why not let him cover for Ricardo on the right when he was out and buy a proper left back.

The transfers do feel a bit weird right now, when the team is not performing.

Why spend nearly the whole transfer kitty this summer on a Vardy back-up and a Tielemans back-up, when we could have improved the starting line-up with a quality right winger and a quality centre back (knowing the issues Evans has)?

If we continue to get injuries at the same rate as we have in the last 18 months then we'll struggle. When low on confidence and form you need quality to shine through and when ours is a ticking time bomb on about half our starting XI when it comes to their fitness it's pretty bleak.

I've got to question some of the recent signings as well, it feels like we're lost a little in prioritising what sorts of players we needed. Castagne not playing at LB might be more because he's not yet had a good game for us on the left but he was definitely signed to play there once Ricardo was back fit. Bertrand so far has been very whiffy, hopefully if the team picks up he'll be the sort that will quietly go about his business and play his way in to his surroundings here but right now I'd have Thomas in over him for sure. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

tbf, everyone is entitled to an opinion on here.. no need to be patronising, is there? give the lad a break 

if 25 points in 25 games doesn't concern you then you might want to look up the definition of insanity. It is also as if he is picking names out of a hat for who to sub on/sub off it's coming to a point where you have to laugh else you will cry 

Also, can you at least be factually correct? We've got far more points than that in the last 25 league games.

Rogers admitted yesterday he needs to try something else to strengthen our defense.

Ndidi out for 7 games now!

Last season he was also presented a conundrum and tried a Hail Mary with a castigated nacho upfront and won the lottery. Now he has to do it again as we are missing so many of our best defenders. I hope lightning strikes twice. Who’s going to be our hero this season I wonder? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Also, can you at least be factually correct? We've got far more points than that in the last 25 league games.

It's 25 points from the last 20 league games. Not nice whichever way you cut it. Can't believe how bad its gotten, just hoping he can turn this around as its a huge concern. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's 25 points from the last 20 league games. Not nice whichever way you cut it. Can't believe how bad its gotten, just hoping he can turn this around as its a huge concern. 

Should finish 13-14 on that form!  Look on the brightside it is not relegation form.....yet!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Rogers admitted yesterday he needs to try something else to strengthen our defense.

Ndidi out for 7 games now!

Last season he was also presented a conundrum and tried a Hail Mary with a castigated nacho upfront and won the lottery. Now he has to do it again as we are missing so many of our best defenders. I hope lightning strikes twice. Who’s going to be our hero this season I wonder? 

We've got two of the best full backs in the division. We've got a centre half who was integral to 2 x 5th places. And, even appalling as he's been, Vestergaard has at least done the rounds in the EPL

A manager should be able to make broth out of that. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah it's not been good but that's a fairly big difference.

Best not to panic yet, we have so many players way out of form it can only turn one way.

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

It has always been my opinion, that since the great Barcelona side Guardiola had, with the central midfield trio of Xavi, Iniesta & Busquets, who passed & moved the opposition to bits, every other top football team has tried to be this, irrespective of the personnel that they have (which is baffling). We have been mis-sold the myth that it is good to watch, because its utter dross, unless you have the cream of the cream in terms of in possession central midfielders, and great off the ball moving attackers.

If you don't have the quality, then you end up with 60%+ possession few shots on goal, sideways & back passes, and a defeat to being countered, most weeks. If you do the opposite to this, then you end up winning the league! It really is the most frustrating thing to watch!

Have we really not learned that opposition defences sit deep against Jamie Vardy? They do this because they try to contain him.

Maybe Rodgers is a victim of the time that he was learning his trade, but surely a man of logic, would conclude that when you continue to do the same thing, and get the same results, you may wish to revaluate your methods, in order to get a better result?

Absolutely spot on. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Should finish 13-14 on that form!  Look on the brightside it is not relegation form.....yet!

Yeah it's very similar to the last 10 games of last season, we're still scrabbling results albeit there's not been a league win now in 4 which is worrying given the next 5 to come. I can't help but feel it's going to get worse before it gets better but if Evans does return fit and stays fit then things could start to improve.

Get Evans fit and try and utilise Vardy and Iheanacho together where possible and we'll be OK, long term though who knows, it feels quite negative at the minute and maybe this is the beginning of the end for Rodgers. I certainly think we'll have a bigger overhaul of our squad next summer but with that brings more uncertainty.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Just full of excuses again.

These are international quality players Babs, it’s not like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get a defence together. 

Ricardo started the season well, many others said the same, I’m just stating what we all saw. Castagne has played enough times on the left for Atalanta & Belgium and looked good in doing so. Vestergaard and Bertrand were signed for a reason, Bertrand especially because we had lost experience in Fuchs and JJ is a long term injury. Thomas is now getting himself into the England U21’s, the promise with him is there.

You look at teams above us, Everton, West Ham and Brentford especially. Benitez has only come in at Everton, apart from their recent capitulation against Villa, he is currently getting the best out of a team with two of his best players in Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison injured. Moyes has turned West Ham into a more solid unit, signed Zouma to add experience and depth to his back line. Brentford under Thomas Frank look a well organised hard working unit.

The likes of Benitez and Moyes often get criticised for their conservative approach, yet at least when you watch their teams you can see the defensive structure that they try and implement, same with Brentford who have a back line who enjoy defending and most of all has leadership to it.

We have the international quality, yet we don’t have structure and we don’t have leadership, that’s why we are currently languishing in 13th and the teams I mentioned are above us.

Vestergaard and Bertrand were part of one of the worst defences in the league, they aren't going to be as good as our other players who were performing in the top 4. 

We don't have structure and leadership.... amazing that we'd had that for 2.5 years and now loads of defenders are out injured we don't. What a coincidence that is. 

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Vestergaard and Bertrand were part of one of the worst defences in the league, they aren't going to be as good as our other players who were performing in the top 4. 

We don't have structure and leadership.... amazing that we'd had that for 2.5 years and now loads of defenders are out injured we don't. What a coincidence that is. 

And no I don’t think he’s some brilliant defensive coach, he’s not. But you can’t ignore players missing and act like it has no impact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why on earth did we sign them? I've tried to play devil's advocate on them and I can't, even as squad signings they are hideous so far.

• Like 3

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Why on earth did we sign them? I've tried to play devil's advocate on them and I can't, even as squad signings they are hideous so far.

Bertrand makes sense as there is little point buying a young player with Justin and Thomas coming through.

Vestergaard I can only presume as easy to do quickly. Set up right I’m sure he’d be steady enough, just not in a high line.

Can see us sitting deeper and countering more…. Or going to a bloody 5 again. 

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Of course not but we signed them for a particular reason, that’s down to poor recruitment, Rodgers clearly wanted them, especially Vestergaard who was linked a year before we signed him. 

But as I said, we are too over reliant on Evans to potentially get us out the shit, when the fact is that we have an international quality defence without him, who are under performing massively.

Soyuncu, Ricardo and Castagne are all regulars, yet it seems they all need Evans to hold their hands.

It’s poor structure and extremely naive, something which Rodgers hasn’t been able to fix since the back end of last season when this shit started, this is nothing new, this has stemmed from last season into this one, yet we are still showing naivety, it’s a joke.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One was forced due to injuries and the other free.

I suspect having covid hasn't help Bertrand. 

Guest Kopfkino

Can't go around blaming injuries too much imo, not ones like Justin and Evans that were known. They knew all summer that Evans was going to be dodgy so you have to find someone who can step up in his absence. Yet we either weren't planning a signing with that being the case and only signed someone when Fofana got crocked, in which case we were leaving ourselves short anyway - or we were planning a signing and that was still going to be Vestergaard given how much we've been linked with him. And Vestergaard is just a shit signing whichever way you cut it. 

Brendan is at least partly to blame becauase he okayed Vestergaard as a signing. The club might not have backed him as much as he deserved but I can't believe there was nothing better around for 15m (ridiculous fee for someone with a year left that Soton didn't really want).

The players we've got should still not look quite this inept when defending (even Vestergaard) - I get there might be a drop off but this is just can't defend territory atm. And that is Brendan's fault so hopefully he goes away and 'analyses the strcuture' or whatever management speak he banged out yesterday. 

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Bertrand looked decent, I thought. Now Castange is back that position looks a tad over-subscribed. I'm really not sure why Brendan is so keen on not playing FA Cup winning and youth international Luke Thomas though. It's a bit odd.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

one of the things that is most annoying my about him right now is that our subs always feel like they are pre planned rather then a reaction to how the game is going, he has his script that he must follow.

Hamza was doing well and didn't look tired, Nacho the same yet both came off regardless

100% agree with this. It looks all pre-meditated. Same with Lookman coming off when Barnes was having one of his worse performances ever in the shirt, surely you just move Lookman LW and drag Barnes!?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

During the time he was winning it, his main competitor had been dropped from the league and there was little or no other viable opposition. By the time Rangers and Gerrard returned he jumped ship quickly because it was starting to go tits up very quickly, the writing was on the wall.

He hopped straight on-board another ship whose problems had been sorted out for him and who now had a decent squad of players. Another low risk job. We'll see now whether he manages to turn it round commensurate with his so called 'elite' reputation or whether he's sacked like at Liverpool or jumps ship when the going gets tough.

The point is that this Postecoglou bloke clearly isn't an upgrade on Rodgers. 

I have a feeling Rodgers won't be here by the start of next season one way or another but also that the next man has a lot to do to beat Rodgers' achievements here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why fuc king buy them then?

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Bertrand makes sense as there is little point buying a young player with Justin and Thomas coming through.

Vestergaard I can only presume as easy to do quickly. Set up right I’m sure he’d be steady enough, just not in a high line.

Can see us sitting deeper and countering more…. Or going to a bloody 5 again. 

:fc: