Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, J. James said:

Obvs none of us know what has been said in the past between Top and Rodgers but whatever else BR is or isn't he certainly ain't stupid.
When his stock was high and other top clubs were linking him l could imagine him saying to Top words to the effect - "I'll stay because l promised l would but there may be a time l need your faith and support, can l count on your support if that time ever comes? "
If Top gave an undertaking to this effect then a man of his word (which I'm sure our owner is) would and should keep it no matter what.
Of course this is probably speculation and he may be sacked tomorrow but l really dont think so.☹️

Yes I understand this but I don’t believe rodgers wants to stay 

I can’t believe that top is misunderstanding Rodger’s position based on him being unable to say anything different re his payout. That would be nuts in a business our size. 

as I’ve mentioned before, rodgers risks his reputation being irrevocably damaged if he stays too long and nothing changes on the pitch. 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes I understand this but I don’t believe rodgers wants to stay 

I can’t believe that top is misunderstanding Rodger’s position based on him being unable to say anything different re his payout. That would be nuts in a business our size. 

as I’ve mentioned before, rodgers risks his reputation being irrevocably damaged if he stays too long and nothing changes on the pitch. 

He sure does (risk his reputation} but if he jumps now (leaving the money to one side) he will be remembered as a quitter and if the new guy turns it around also as a failure.

But he is so cock sure he really believes the problem isn't him and if by some miracle he does finish out of the relegation places his star rises again!

Edited by J. James
Clarity

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

The money is there. We just have to pay his contract up early. Do people think he’s not gonna get paid for the next year if he stays in the job or something? lol 

But you’d also have to pay his replacement.

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’m not disputing any of this. I’m asking you, with your wisdom, was last summer covid impacted ? I stand by my original comments. There is risk taking and then there is stupidity. We are currently in the ****ing moron stage.  

...my answer is yes, it was, for all the reasons I previously stated!!!

If you belive that our present problems are financial,  then without the actual  figures in front of me I cannot comment. Also without that information I  am unable to persuade you that you are wrong in your assumption and the club deciding to continue with the expansion is not folly.

If we had another £100m pounds in the bank, we would  have been able to spend in the summer as the FFP ratio would not have been where it was. The two things are inextricably linked, more money coming in(via trading), reduces the ratio.

Should we have taken out the loan and invested in the squad, deferring the expansion? we would still have had the situation where we needed one out to bring one in, because the ratio would have been unaffected, because the extra money available was not introduced to the company through trading.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

The money is there. We just have to pay his contract up early. Do people think he’s not gonna get paid for the next year if he stays in the job or something? lol 

To be fair no one really seems to know what it would cost to sack Rodgers. I've seen figures from anywhere between £5m and £20m mentioned. If it is the large lump sum that is stalling us then surely we wack him on gardening leave  and employ another manager.

As you say we've of course ringfenced Rodgers wages on a monthly cash flow basis so that wouldn't be a problem.

We'd just need to then employ another manager on top, who would likely be no where near what Rodgers is on and easily absorbed by the wage difference between Wout and Fofana, let alone Kasper leaving. 

Putting Rodgers on gardening leave would also probably mean we'd be more likely able to negotiate a lower release fee for him as he'd probably realise it would damage his career even further and he'd want to move on. 

I have no idea about the legalities of football managers and gardening leave though.  They might have some human rights protection or something! 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

Just now, sylofox said:

Might as well close this thread as nothing will happen today. Reopen it tomorrow when something might happen.

Nothings going to happen over the international break either. If it was going to happen yesterday was the day. 

He’s here for the foreseeable and he will drag us down. The board are inept and complicit. 

Its time for total change.

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

Exactly, some folk have little idea of how a business is run. There’s not one debit card with petty cash on it. The club will have a contingency plan in place when the time comes, but it’s someone being overly loyal, that’s why he hasn’t gone, and that worries me far more than money, is that someone can be so blind.

• Like 1

Just now, John12345 said:

It doesn't work like you pay the whole contract up fron day 1. It'll depend on whether he takes a new job mitigating his position. Highly likely in 3 years.

But that’s not the point is it, it’s not just about whether we have the cash on hand it’s whether we can afford it which is a separate question.

Best case scenario we end up paying 2 managers’ salaries for a period of time. We genuinely may not be able to afford that even if we have the cash sat in our account at the moment.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a no-brainer, you pay him off to stay up and save the tens of millions later down the line. But that is easy to say when you’re not responsible for the money.

9 minutes ago, Dames said:

Nothings going to happen over the international break either. If it was going to happen yesterday was the day. 

He’s here for the foreseeable and he will drag us down. The board are inept and complicit. 

Tomorrow's the day. As others have said, Top has a deep affinity with royal family, they're waiting until the official mourning period has ended. I hope!

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

Top and his family are very respectful of the royal family. They will not want to steal any lime light at this time. They won't act or if they have release anything until tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Dames said:

We never sack our managers straight the way, Puel wasn't announced for a couple of days.

Just now, shiv said:

People are missing the point re finances. Nothing to do with cash flow. If we sack him, we write off the compensation against this year’s P&L which takes a chunk out of this year’s profitability.

That’s part of it, there’s also the human factor which is if you’re committing £8m/year for somebody to do a job the last thing you want is them sitting on their arse collecting some or all of that money whilst you pay somebody else £5m/year to do that job.

That may be where some of the “loyalty” is coming from. It’s hard to admit you’re wrong, it’s even harder when there’s millions of pounds of money at stake for which you’re responsible.