Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I think Ric makes some great points, when Rodgers first arrived I have to say I thought his man-management was first class however I feel there are massive cracks appearing.

1) as others have said his treatment of Kels and his reluctance to select him despite his form suggesting he should be a guaranteed starter. 

2) his treatment of Praet, freezing him out at a time when our form was poor and we had a quality player in the background that wasn’t being given any game time 

3) His utilisation of Hamza. granted he isn’t a first choice but the lack of game time and opportunity for him to play himself into any kind of form is non existent, regardless of how well or badly he plays he gets hooked on the hour He isn’t the most talented in the squad but his intensity, high energy and ability to win the ball higher up the pitch is a great attribute to have and offers something different to our squad dynamic. Also it is very often feint praise after games or will make reference to a mistake of mistakes he has made. Confidence must be wrong bottom for the lad. 

my observation of Rodgers is he clearly has his favourites or that he is more lenient and not prepared to make big decisions that involve the stronger personalities, therefore invariably he takes the easy option. 

Every manager, by the simple Nature of the beast, will have his favourites....

With our injury story, I wouldnt have started Nacho immediately...Not with 4 competitions to cover....

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I agree entirely with all that and I think many of us have been thinking similar, there's even more to add to the list as well perhaps. At first you try and justify it to yourself thinking that he's the manager, he sees them every day, he must know what he's doing. However, as time goes on and there's bizarre decision after bizarre decision, you have to question it and its easy to start thinking that this bloke at times is either overthinking, trying to look smart or just plain stubborn at times. He's starting to look a bit clueless at times. Sometimes when you try and find logic in what he does it just isn't there and he keeps making the same mistakes. Luckily last season, some of our players individual performances came to his rescue and it didn't look too bad statistically in the end but in reality I don't think he had much input into that. 

So much resonates in this response and its original post.

Is Brendan trying to demonstrate that he is some tactical genius by playing people in the wrong position or seeking to change their role or style? 

I was chairman of a top rugby union club here. Our head coach was a real tactical/analytical guy who pored over videos of matches (ours and others) and knew the game and its history like no other. But as if to prove it, he would pick odd combinations and adopt tactics ill-suited to the strengths of the players. He simply overthought things and was keen to display his 'genius'. We were bottom, so we sacked him, brought it a far less visionary guy but one who picked clearly the best players and line up, going on a winning streak to avoid the drop. 

I am not suggesting we sack BR (yet). But I think his ego and desire to be admired as some tactical genius is hampering him and us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Caravan? 

Castagne. He was known as 'Caravan' in his teenage days because it took five people to drag him out of bed after a night's listening to 'In The Land Of Grey and Pink'. People were getting a bit disturbed about it but fortunately he saw Patrick Kisnorbo on TV and he thought 'I am going to be like that person, whoever he is' :ph34r:

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Every manager, by the simple Nature of the beast, will have his favourites....

With our injury story, I wouldnt have started Nacho immediately...Not with 4 competitions to cover....

There's only one competition that ultimately counts and losing PL status would be disastrous financially. 

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has made some really bizarre decisions in 2021, I know managers don't get it all right and I said only a week or two ago that most of the frustrations we have with Brendan we'd have with many other managers of his ilk. 

That said I'm still baffled by the following:

1) ignoring Praet when Maddison and Perez were a) ill disciplined to the detriment of our CL and FA Cup push and b) horribly out of form. He didn't get a chance after the West Ham debacle even though our ACM's were anonymous.

2) Trying Perez as a false 9 when Vardy was injured in Jan and Feb and ignoring Iheanacho until he picked him vs Fulham and he was electric, thst was the start of his reintroduction in to the team but I'm still mystified the thought process prior to that.

3) Happier to play Castagne or Ricardo as a left wing back last season when neither was fit or on form but now we have reverted back to a back 4 he's refusing to play them both and instead we're lumbered with Bertrand who's been poor so far. It feels very much like Ricardo's last season but rather he go on a high for a good fee, it'll be a knock down fee.

4) As per point 1) up until yesterday was determined not to play 2 up front despite the ongoing creative issues from Maddison, Perez and Barnes in and around the attacker. We've not had a quality supply line since February and yet Iheanacho and Vardy are still somehow scoring an impressive array of goals, without Iheanacho on the pitch we've scored about 3 goals in god knows how many games. HE IS INDISPENSIBLE.

5) Registering Benkovic instead of Mendy but seemingly having very little desire to give Benkovic any game time. I'm not quite sure what it will take for him to play, I mean our defence can't get much worse and therefore it seems an odd move given the issues we now face at DCM. Mendy has his limitations but he's far more disciplined than Choudhury and it would surely be wiser to have them both given it would take all 4 CB's to be injured for Benkovic to get anywhere near the team and even then I'm not sure he'd play.

6) Daka, so far he's made some bad decisions on his introduction in to this team. Him not playing Iheanacho from the start meant there was very little chance he'd bring on 2 strikers from 3 allowed subs and therefore he's had no opportunity to come in to the side with our best players around him. Not starting him at Millwall was strange too. Fair enough he played vs Legia but with an alien system and personnel and very little support. You can see the desperation when he's now scrabbling for minutes vs the fearless confidence he seemed to ooze when he rocked up here as one of the hottest properties in Europe. Vardy is undroppable at the minute but he could be replaced with 15-20 to go at the very least with Daka's electric pace to hurt tiring teams.

7) Soumare, made some very perturbing comments about him being an attack minded player. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in his entire career, he makes Nampalys Mendy look like Gheorge Hagi on paper. I hope this vision comes to fruition and this is an example of Rodgers ability to develop players but if not it will go down as a poor signing given the priorities we had elsewhere and not a huge transfer budget to work from. Soumare to me looks like a box to box player perfect for a high energy counter attacking game, like Doucoure at Everton, not Yaya Toure like Rodgers thinks he is.

Agree.

And to throw in Rob Tanner challenge him on Vestergaard, Rob suggested that he doesn’t fit the profile of our normal defenders, quick in behind, aggressive and comfortable playing a high line. He literally can’t do any of that, the part of the profile he does fulfil is his ability to break the lines with a pass, but it stands for nothing if the rest of your game is that poor. But the most bizarre thing was Rodgers claiming he is the exact profile of defender we like…. I get he is trying to defend his players, but it starts to look a bit like the manager is creeping into desperation mode….. aka Nigel, strangling folk and calling Journalists ostriches….. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has made some really bizarre decisions in 2021, I know managers don't get it all right and I said only a week or two ago that most of the frustrations we have with Brendan we'd have with many other managers of his ilk. 

That said I'm still baffled by the following:

1) ignoring Praet when Maddison and Perez were a) ill disciplined to the detriment of our CL and FA Cup push and b) horribly out of form. He didn't get a chance after the West Ham debacle even though our ACM's were anonymous.

2) Trying Perez as a false 9 when Vardy was injured in Jan and Feb and ignoring Iheanacho until he picked him vs Fulham and he was electric, thst was the start of his reintroduction in to the team but I'm still mystified the thought process prior to that.

3) Happier to play Castagne or Ricardo as a left wing back last season when neither was fit or on form but now we have reverted back to a back 4 he's refusing to play them both and instead we're lumbered with Bertrand who's been poor so far. It feels very much like Ricardo's last season but rather he go on a high for a good fee, it'll be a knock down fee.

4) As per point 1) up until yesterday was determined not to play 2 up front despite the ongoing creative issues from Maddison, Perez and Barnes in and around the attacker. We've not had a quality supply line since February and yet Iheanacho and Vardy are still somehow scoring an impressive array of goals, without Iheanacho on the pitch we've scored about 3 goals in god knows how many games. HE IS INDISPENSIBLE.

5) Registering Benkovic instead of Mendy but seemingly having very little desire to give Benkovic any game time. I'm not quite sure what it will take for him to play, I mean our defence can't get much worse and therefore it seems an odd move given the issues we now face at DCM. Mendy has his limitations but he's far more disciplined than Choudhury and it would surely be wiser to have them both given it would take all 4 CB's to be injured for Benkovic to get anywhere near the team and even then I'm not sure he'd play.

6) Daka, so far he's made some bad decisions on his introduction in to this team. Him not playing Iheanacho from the start meant there was very little chance he'd bring on 2 strikers from 3 allowed subs and therefore he's had no opportunity to come in to the side with our best players around him. Not starting him at Millwall was strange too. Fair enough he played vs Legia but with an alien system and personnel and very little support. You can see the desperation when he's now scrabbling for minutes vs the fearless confidence he seemed to ooze when he rocked up here as one of the hottest properties in Europe. Vardy is undroppable at the minute but he could be replaced with 15-20 to go at the very least with Daka's electric pace to hurt tiring teams.

7) Soumare, made some very perturbing comments about him being an attack minded player. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in his entire career, he makes Nampalys Mendy look like Gheorge Hagi on paper. I hope this vision comes to fruition and this is an example of Rodgers ability to develop players but if not it will go down as a poor signing given the priorities we had elsewhere and not a huge transfer budget to work from. Soumare to me looks like a box to box player perfect for a high energy counter attacking game, like Doucoure at Everton, not Yaya Toure like Rodgers thinks he is.

You must not be familiar with Foxestalk,  (to be honest I don't think I've seen you on here before), but its not a place for common sense posts.

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Castagne was bought to replace Chilwell, play him there, Ricardo is still better than Bertrand on the other flank even on a bad day

Was he? I'm starting to question whether he actually was because he's only played there what 2 or 3 times, or whether he was seen as a long term Ricardo replacement. He was injured and we've heard nothing on a contract extension, I'm certain there would have been substantial interest in him pre injury. It's a baffling one. 

• Like 1

We should remember that after we won the charity shield many were calling Rodgers a tactical genius and how we were so lucky to have him. You get the feeling that his standing relies on the last match we play. He is no genius and never was and some of the eulogy was pretty embarrassing. Overall though he is a pretty good manager with a great understanding of the game. His weakness to me is his motivational skills. We have just drawn two games in a row which with a Pearson or an O'Neil driving us on we would probably have won. We will never outplay most teams in the PL they are too good, but we can outfight them with the right sort of drive from Rodgers. Forget the notebook Brendan and start shouting and screaming, lift your team.

12 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

I think they are all valid possibilities. However our financial position compared with 99% of the football market, we are still a major force with a great budget.

I feel that both Bertrand and Vestergaard, should both be performing much better, I can kind of give Bertrand a minor pass "if" he is continuing to struggle with covid aftermath, yet, we have Thomas if this is the case... so this decision is on the manager.

I have no idea why Castagne and Ricardo are not starting, this once again is an odd decision.

I know we have injuries, but so do all clubs. Now we have the strongest depth we have ever had, so for me these injuries, although very unfortunate (Fofana especially) but we knew about Evans and Justin... LCFC have Hudl, and we scout extensively with this, I find it illogical and unacceptable for a rich club like LCFC, that we were unable to find better cover than the 2 players mentioned above.

Other clubs have their say I'm afraid and might not want to let players go. Also, our budget for the two positions might have been ZERO until Fofana got injured, at which point we were left with little choice and little time. We were probably happy to go with Fofana and Soyuncu, whilst waiting for Evans to get fit and perhaps just take a loan. 

57 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

So much resonates in this response and its original post.

Is Brendan trying to demonstrate that he is some tactical genius by playing people in the wrong position or seeking to change their role or style? 

I was chairman of a top rugby union club here. Our head coach was a real tactical/analytical guy who pored over videos of matches (ours and others) and knew the game and its history like no other. But as if to prove it, he would pick odd combinations and adopt tactics ill-suited to the strengths of the players. He simply overthought things and was keen to display his 'genius'. We were bottom, so we sacked him, brought it a far less visionary guy but one who picked clearly the best players and line up, going on a winning streak to avoid the drop. 

I am not suggesting we sack BR (yet). But I think his ego and desire to be admired as some tactical genius is hampering him and us. 

Been saying that for ages.  This has always been his pattern and old dogs don’t learn new tricks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know two of them appeared at Wembley (word chosen carefully as neither ‘played’) but remember we’re talking about a manager who won the FA Cup for us without Ricardo, Evans, JJ, Maddison & Barnes. 

Wow!

I can only surmise that some on here have time on their hands?

Edited by Steve Earle

53 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Was he? I'm starting to question whether he actually was because he's only played there what 2 or 3 times, or whether he was seen as a long term Ricardo replacement. He was injured and we've heard nothing on a contract extension, I'm certain there would have been substantial interest in him pre injury. It's a baffling one. 

For me JJ is Chilwell's replacement, the position was easily his by the time he got injured.

I also think he would have been there for England by this time as well.

Edited by Chrysalis

53 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We should remember that after we won the charity shield many were calling Rodgers a tactical genius and how we were so lucky to have him. You get the feeling that his standing relies on the last match we play. He is no genius and never was and some of the eulogy was pretty embarrassing. Overall though he is a pretty good manager with a great understanding of the game. His weakness to me is his motivational skills. We have just drawn two games in a row which with a Pearson or an O'Neil driving us on we would probably have won. We will never outplay most teams in the PL they are too good, but we can outfight them with the right sort of drive from Rodgers. Forget the notebook Brendan and start shouting and screaming, lift your team.

Many were, but I expect they werent the same people who have been concerned about him

It was probably the people that when we lose its "the players fault", when we win "Rodgers is a genius".

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

For me JJ is Chilwell's replacement, the position was easily his by the time he got injured.

I also think he would have been there for England by this time as well.

But then he's a right footed left back, why not use him as the Ricardo cover / replacement and then buy a proper left back. Now if feels like a total waste having both Castagne and Ricardo when only one starts (granted Ricardo is still finding his way back post injury). 

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But then he's a right footed left back, why not use him as the Ricardo cover / replacement and then buy a proper left back. Now if feels like a total waste having both Castagne and Ricardo when only one starts (granted Ricardo is still finding his way back post injury). 

I don’t think the club expected Ricardo to still be here to be honest, and the plan was to eventually use Castagne as his replacement

I don’t really have an issue with JJ being a right footed left back, it is a position he did well in at Luton and was probably POTY for us until his injury and it isn’t that uncommon anymore, look at how often Pep uses Cancelo at left back

I think one of either Ricardo or Castagne will be gone next summer anyway - either Ricardo because he doesn’t sign a new deal or Castagne because Ricardo signs a new deal and there is already some interest from Juve and Inter

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

There's only one competition that ultimately counts and losing PL status would be disastrous financially. 

A manager & Club goes through different perspectives, priorities through a season.& Stating/demanding  my or your own, doesnt change anything...

Their Perspectives have to cover 360d...Its easy to bark your own preferences...

25 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I don’t think the club expected Ricardo to still be here to be honest, and the plan was to eventually use Castagne as his replacement

I think this is bang on. If it weren’t for his slow comeback from major injury I expect Ricardo would have gone already. We are pretty good at succession planning. Soyuncu for Maguire, Castagne for Ricardo, Daka for Vardy… Soumaré for Youri 👀

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

A manager & Club goes through different perspectives, priorities through a season.& Stating/demanding  my or your own, doesnt change anything...

Their Perspectives have to cover 360d...Its easy to bark your own preferences...

I strongly suspect staying in the Premier League would be the club's top priority, not winning the Carabao Cup.