Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

The difference is i dont think the players will let them run riot. 

The amount of money in the league now the rich will still be able to compete. 

Say Pogba for instance if he comes out and says he isnt going to renew his contract at Utd. 

He will have probably 5 or 6 giants offering what he wants and more he will then get an offer from Newcastle which is massive compared to the others. 

Would he really want to Newcastle for 600k a week or Madrid for 500k a week ? 

These players are already multi millionaires and it is more about their brand than their wages. 

But over time...

Burnley have just signed Lyon's left back FFS. Lyon were title winners 7 years in a row whilst Burnley were rotting in the Championship. Players and agents follow the money, not history.

There will be players all over the world wanting to be involved with Newcastle and it's going to be unbearable to see unfold. It was bad enough with Man City 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they sign some quality young players alongside guys like Lingard and Asensio (i.e. decent players at big clubs, big rep, but can only make the bench) 

Boost that rep over 2/3 years and then a mega money signing. 

Either that or there just gonna go mental from the off, in a way it would be quite funny to watch if they did, proper fantasy stuff. 

but to sign youngsters you have to have the right coach, training ground facilities etc.

Cant see anyone major going to them this season or next. 

They have probably one of the worst squads in the league it needs mass overall and you just cant do that over night. 

1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

But over time...

Burnley have just signed Lyon's left back FFS. Lyon were title winners 7 years in a row whilst Burnley were rotting in the Championship. Players and agents follow the money, not history.

There will be players all over the world wanting to be involved with Newcastle and it's going to be unbearable to see unfold. It was bad enough with Man City 

yeah over time they will get there (unless it goes wrong - we can all hope) but to get back to my original post and to get it back on topic can you see Rodgers going there? which is probably a 5 to 10 year plan? I can't. He is at a level than if the Barca job came up he would be in the running so why would he want to sign up for a 'project' that he probably would never see out. 

9 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

This is true, but it’s still Newcastle….

Imagine being Mbappe for example, you say you want to leave PSG…

Man United 

Man City

Chelsea 

Real Madrid 

And

Newcastle are all interested…….I mean, it wouldn’t even be a decision surely? 

Like I said, Man city were always going to end up as they were, with a massive rival in United it makes sense for a billionaire to acquire them to challenge United.

Chelsea have the location, and they had some pedigree before. 

Multi billionaire’s have purchased less established clubs before, granted not on this financial scale, and have failed…. Purely because they simply don’t have the heritage behind them. 

Newcastle may well be the richest club in the world, but dangling huge cheques will only attract the wrong kind of players. Yes City have spend £100m on Grealish, but they’re established title contenders. 

Let’s hope financial fair play doesn’t allow Newcastle to attempt to run riot, but they will be competing for signings with the likes of United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool…. All of which have much more of a pull.

Perhaps it’s blind hope on my behalf that wants their plan to collapse……

....probably a good ploy would be to get a scouting group (Brentford has one) that can identify quality and upcoming quality players!!!

There are plenty of top quality players out there at around the £30-40m pricing and not to be looking to swim in the same waters as your United's of this world. Their must be a European coach who believes he could succeed with the right backing. He would see himself with the ability to compete against coaches he has looked up to like  Pep, Conte and  Klopp and this would be the next step in their journey.

I expect it to be a coach from the continent, if they were to choose a Benitez or Ancelotti it set them back as they are in effect journey men and short term fixes.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....probably a good ploy would be to get a scouting group (Brentford has one) that can identify quality and upcoming quality players!!!

There are plenty of top quality players out there at around the £30-40m pricing and not to be looking to swim in the same waters as your United's of this world. Their must be a European coach who believes he could succeed with the right backing. He would see himself with the ability to compete against coaches he has looked up to like  Pep, Conte and  Klopp and this would be the next step in their journey.

I expect it to be a coach from the continent, if they were to choose a Benitez or Ancelotti it set them back as they are in effect journey men and short term fixes.

Yes, I think they will go for a big name….. but they’ve got to be careful. Unless they’re willing to spend a mint in January, Newcastle are going down. They’re easily the second worse team in the league….. 

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

yeah over time they will get there (unless it goes wrong - we can all hope) but to get back to my original post and to get it back on topic can you see Rodgers going there? which is probably a 5 to 10 year plan? I can't. He is at a level than if the Barca job came up he would be in the running so why would he want to sign up for a 'project' that he probably would never see out. 

Honestly I think it would be the perfect job for him and even this season with how things are going here. He could play the "taken us as far he feels he can card" and he'd lap up the attention and coverage up there and I think he'd get more personal support than he gets from our fans. If it didn't work out then he'd always have the chance elsewhere and I think at first he'd be given the time. I rate him and don't want him to leave yet, but I don't think he's the sort of manager that's going to be persued by a giant club at this stage. 

• Like 2

Why do people think we will part so easily with Rodgers? He would have to kick the door down and demand to leave if he wanted to go. We as a club earmarked him for a while, we wanted him before Puel but it wasn’t achievable, as soon as it became a possibility we made the move because he is the man the ownership wants to lead the club. They won’t let him go without a monumental fight. 

Those suggesting they’re not overly bothered if he left, be very careful what you wish for…. Because who exactly would replace him who could do a better job? 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

but to sign youngsters you have to have the right coach, training ground facilities etc.

Cant see anyone major going to them this season or next. 

They have probably one of the worst squads in the league it needs mass overall and you just cant do that over night. 

.....it only takes a half decent manager to walk into their place and there would be an immediate bounce!!!

You follow that up with bringing a bit of quality and experience in the January window, and players fighting for places, and you could be looking at promotion next April. This game can turn quite quickly and the expectation and the adrenaline from the crowd would drive them throughout the season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

All I know is that since he joined us as manager we've qualified for Europe twice and won the FA Cup - granted we should possibly have got CL football but you can't say it's not down to BR that we were contesting for it in the first place.

He has had us playing some great football since he's been here - this season, for me, is the only point where I've thought we've looked poor, but looking at the injuries we've had and the inconsistency in being able to field our strongest teams you can understand why. But suddenly now everyone is claiming he's limited and not a good manager - pathetic.

Yes, he has got to take a certain amount of credit. However, do you really honestly think that it is only this season that we've looked poor? We've been diabolical since last Christmas.

Notwithstanding that we just about cobbled enough points to grab 5th place, largely due to Iheanacho who Rodgers really really didn't want to play (and still doesn't if he can help it), many of those points were thankfully down to individual moments of good play by some quality players and absolutely despite the tactics, formations and team selections of the manager who for me was almost solely responsible for us not getting Champions League football. Ditto for the year previous too. 

Yes, both seasons we started with fast flowing excellent football until each time, Rodgers had coached, micro-managed and insisted upon his dull outmoded philosophy of possession football which has marred our chances of top European football and all the spin offs that come with it. This season poor start has merely carried on from where we left off last season. It's not a new phenomenon it's merely a continuation and it's absolutely shocking to watch.

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Could see him going if a shit load of money is available. To be honest not that fussed if he does. 

Best manager we have had in a long while and you are not fussed if he goes.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, he has got to take a certain amount of credit. However, do you really honestly think that it is only this season that we've looked poor? We've been diabolical since last Christmas.

Notwithstanding that we just about cobbled enough points to grab 5th place, largely due to Iheanacho who Rodgers really really didn't want to play (and still doesn't if he can help it), many of those points were thankfully down to individual moments of good play by some quality players and absolutely despite the tactics, formations and team selections of the manager who for me was almost solely responsible for us not getting Champions League football. Ditto for the year previous too. 

Yes, both seasons we started with fast flowing excellent football until each time, Rodgers had coached, micro-managed and insisted upon his dull outmoded philosophy of possession football which has marred our chances of top European football and all the spin offs that come with it. This season poor start has merely carried on from where we left off last season. It's not a new phenomenon it's merely a continuation and it's absolutely shocking to watch.

So what you're saying is that if we didn't have Brendan Rodgers in charge, what would we have won the league? Finished top 2/3?

We haven't been diabolical since Christmas - since that time, how often have we been able to put out our strongest 11? Injuries can't be the excuse for everytime we';ve played poorly or not won I get that but to say that we finished 5th despite Rodgers' tactics is insane.

Honestly can't see him leaving for Newcastle just yet.

Celtic was a chance for him to rebuild his reputation and to soak in that winning feeling.

He's mentioned quite a few times that the training ground was a huge motivation behind his decision to move. I honestly can't see him leaving after less than a year in Seagrave. 

He came to us because we offered him a project, and he's not even half way through that project yet. I think he wants to see it through.

33 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Keegan and Shearer have **** all on Daniel Lambert and John Merrick…..

To be fair, “sleeping giant” is a bit much….. I’d suggest Forest are a sleeping giant, as they already have a history of success….. Newcastle have a history of…… not a lot. 

Forest and derby both hit it lucky with Clough, they were small and shit before and small and shit after.

The one thing Newcastle have going for them around ffp is their massive support. That's is normally the thing  that stops newly rich clubs re ffp and you'd have to back Newcastle on the commercial side. They've got the fans but sports direct bit wouldn't spend owt.

The other thing is that they could easily be on a par with man United and Liverpool for plastic fans coming out of the woodwork. Everybody knew a "Geordie" (with a Midlands accent) when Keegan did alright with them. This will be unbearable. (But still a bloody good laugh to watch from the sidelines, and as somebody said, could take us to the next level by paying stupid amounts for some of our players. Ie. Maddison would be a good marquee signing. For them and us.

35 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I could see him jumping ship personally, as soon as now.

He has previous, and you could argue that he may feel he has taken us as far as he can. I don't necessarily agree with that but there are certainly question marks this season that have been voiced with far too much certainty by some on here.

22 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Could see him going if a shit load of money is available. To be honest not that fussed if he does. 

It would leave us in one hell of a mess if he leaves. So not sure why you wouldn't be to fussed.