Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

16 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I am resigned to his departure tbh, I appreciate what Rodgers has done for us but if Rodgers wants to go, I hope the saga is not drawn out too long. Football is all about the present, personally I feel we can do better imo. I guess it’s the right time to part ways, and start a new managerial LCFC chapter.

In terms of results, I'm not sure we can do much better tbh. That doesn't mean I disagree with the rest of your post though.

Now there's another superpower on the block, the chances of improving on 5th place finishes in future starts to pull further away from us and every other club like Everton, Arsenal and Spurs, for example. 

We all want to dream of course, but finishing 5th twice in a row, whether we collapsed both times or not, is more likely to be looked back on as an achievement rather than a failure, in years to come. That's probably the reality.

That doesn't mean the club shouldn't strive to push on, as they have done since the owners involvement, but this weeks news shows what we're up against as a club. We have already been punching massively above our weight in recent years, how much further can we stretch?

Back to your point, I think we're going to struggle to maintain our recent lofty heights whether Rodgers stays or goes and it also feels to me like a new era may be just around the corner and it may be the right time.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

In terms of results, I'm not sure we can do much better tbh. That doesn't mean I disagree with the rest of your post though.

Now there's another superpower on the block, the chances of improving on 5th place finishes in future starts to pull further away from us and every other club like Everton, Arsenal and Spurs, for example. 

We all want to dream of course, but finishing 5th twice in a row, whether we collapsed both times or not, is more likely to be looked back on as an achievement rather than a failure, in years to come. That's probably the reality.

That doesn't mean the club shouldn't strive to push on, as they have done since the owners involvement, but this weeks news shows what we're up against as a club. We have already been punching massively above our weight in recent years, how much further can we stretch?

Back to your point, I think we're going to struggle to maintain our recent lofty heights whether Rodgers stays or goes and it also feels to me like a new era may be just around the corner and it may be the right time.

I agree you make some very valid points, it strikes me how ambitious are owners are you don’t invest 100m pounds in a new training ground if you just want to settle for middtable premier league football similarly with the stadium expansion. I guess the aim is to be consistently in Europe and Rodgers has done that. 

It just feels a bit stale right now at the club like a sort of malaise, and maybe a managerial change if Rodgers decides he wants to go may sort of galvanize our season?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Don't mind Brendan going to Newcastle. I'm more concerned the players he might take with him given the mountain of cash that he would be given - hoping it would be Perez, Chaudhury and Vestegaard, but more likely to be Vardy, Tielemans, Maddison,Ndidi and Fofana 

I think he would see Vardy as too old now, although maybe if they are in trouble in January and he was their manager, he might see Vardy as a short term solution. Tielemans I could see him going for, and definitely Ndidi and Fofana, I don't think he would go anywhere near Maddison though to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

£190m transfer kitty in the January transfer window plus his salary, money talks at the end of the day.

For any manager with an once of self respect they wouldn’t even consider going….. Newcastle have a bit of cash now, but that’s it….. they don’t have the history nor the pedigree to just instantly become a super power….

Im sick to the back teeth of reading articles about them being a ‘sleeping giant’, they really are not, they have zero history bar a rant from Kevin Keegan and having a ding dong with Liverpool once. Other than that, they’re just nothing team with a big stadium. 

They will be competing still with the likes of Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool…. And they simply won’t be able to all of the time, their pedigree will trump them, and FFP means financially they can’t run riot anyway. 

If Rodgers decided to leave us now for Newcastle it would prove he’s just chasing a massive pay cheque, but it would also be an extremely depressing day for football, that the second a team gets major financial backing they think they can trample on anyone, yet we’re a much superior club to Newcastle in every way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

For any manager with an once of self respect they wouldn’t even consider going….. Newcastle have a bit of cash now, but that’s it….. they don’t have the history nor the pedigree to just instantly become a super power….

Im sick to the back teeth of reading articles about them being a ‘sleeping giant’, they really are not, they have zero history bar a rant from Kevin Keegan and having a ding dong with Liverpool once. Other than that, they’re just nothing team with a big stadium. 

They will be competing still with the likes of Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool…. And they simply won’t be able to all of the time, their pedigree will trump them, and FFP means financially they can’t run riot anyway. 

If Rodgers decided to leave us now for Newcastle it would prove he’s just chasing a massive pay cheque, but it would also be an extremely depressing day for football, that the second a team gets major financial backing they think they can trample on anyone, yet we’re a much superior club to Newcastle in every way. 

I guess Celtic fans could say the same about us when Rodgers left. History wise yes I know Celtic play in the SPL but they are an world wide institution.

Newcastle have a huge world wide fan base, they haven’t done anything for years and haven’t won any major club competitions recently but still they have won trophies and more than us. With their fan base and now their wealth they are an attractive proposition you cannot discount that.

I am biased towards LCFC and Rodgers would be daft to leave us for them but at the same time, money talks and I could see why Rodgers would be interested in their project.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I agree you make some very valid points, it strikes me how ambitious are owners are you don’t invest 100m pounds in a new training ground if you just want to settle for middtable premier league football similarly with the stadium expansion. I guess the aim is to be consistently in Europe and Rodgers has done that. 

It just feels a bit stale right now at the club like a sort of malaise, and maybe a managerial change if Rodgers decides he wants to go may sort of galvanize our season?

I think the manager has a some things to answer for this season, but I certainly wasn't Rodgers out. This week and the Newcastle takeover seems to have changed that for me to the point at which I would have been extremely disappointed if he'd walked away last week, or been sacked, but I feel strangely ambivalent today. Of course, he shouldn't be sacked, that would be ridiculous at the moment, but if he walked away, I probably agree with you.

Maybe it's just a personal reaction to Saudi Arabia apparently owning football team now that's put me on a downer. Probably is.

The fact that things do feel slightly stale at the moment makes it easier for me to flip my thinking I suppose, football fans are fickle after all. I agree that there does appear to be a malaise, particularly around performances, but I'm one of those who does think Rodgers has earned the time to turn that around. Whether he chooses to do that if another offer was sat on the table, I'd be very doubtful.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

How does FFP work, how much would Newcastle have to spend and what's the point in it if you can just make up some BS self sponsorship deal to get around the rule?

From what I hear Newcastle want to emulate what we've done with development of training ground etc so Rodgers maybe on their radar, after all he is said to be the best coach 

FFP works about as well as the fit and proper persons test 

• Like 2

We are not in a particularly good place form wise at the moment. We could easily lose our next couple of matches.I hope those same people who dismiss the idea of Rodgers moving to Newcastle don't then come on here screaming for him to be sacked.

23 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I believe almost every manager in World football would consider this an opportunity. Not them all maybe, but most of them.

Big money attracts players. The 'chance' of winning trophies attracts players. Of course pedigree and history do, but not to the same extant as the first two.

I think they are a sleeping giant. With the type of wealth they have behind them now, coupled with a fanbase (who will be fanatical if things actually start going right for a change), Newcastle have huge potential.

Yes, they'll be competing with Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool, but it's likely that they will be competing in the future, and that's the operative word. That'll drag in more supporters from far and wide, whether we like it or not.

I think your last paragraph is slightly unfair on Rodgers. He could quite conceivably just see them as a better opportunity, hence forth, rather than just a massive pay cheque. You're right that we are currently in a much superior position to Newcastle, but they now have funds to catch up very quickly and ultimately overtake clubs like us. Doesn't mean I'd agree with him if he went there, but you must be able to see the opportunity many will see at Newcastle now.

• Like 1

I still don’t think anyone has come up with the a viable idea for a replacement. 

People stating Pearson, would most likely employ the person that laid the foundations for a house, to do the interior finishing. 

Rodgers will turn this around, like he has previously. He’s just got to cut the bizarre team sections and get our best team on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I believe almost every manager in World football would consider this an opportunity. Not them all maybe, but most of them.

Big money attracts players. The 'chance' of winning trophies attracts players. Of course pedigree and history do, but not to the same extant as the first two.

I think they are a sleeping giant. With the type of wealth they have behind them now, coupled with a fanbase (who will be fanatical if things actually start going right for a change), Newcastle have huge potential.

Yes, they'll be competing with Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool, but it's likely that they will be competing in the future, and that's the operative word. That'll drag in more supporters from far and wide, whether we like it or not.

I think your last paragraph is slightly unfair on Rodgers. He could quite conceivably just see them as a better opportunity, hence forth, rather than just a massive pay cheque. You're right that we are currently in a much superior position to Newcastle, but they now have funds to catch up very quickly and ultimately overtake clubs like us. Doesn't mean I'd agree with him if he went there, but you must be able to see the opportunity many will see at Newcastle now.

Not all players will be attracted to the Premier League though, as it could be classed as too competitive. 

In La Liga, you’ve realistically only got to beat 2 other teams to earn Silverware. 

In the Premier League, you’re now almost looking at eight teams potentially that are capable, if not more. 

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

I still don’t think anyone has come up with the a viable idea for a replacement. 

People stating Pearson, would most likely employ the person that laid the foundations for a house, to do the interior finishing. 

Rodgers will turn this around, like he has previously. He’s just got to cut the bizarre team sections and get our best team on the pitch. 

When has Rodgers turned things around? 

If the likes of Manchester City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, Madrid and Barca don’t sell players to Newcastle, they’ll be restricted to recruiting from the best of the rest. 

Also, let’s not forget Manchester City got quite lucky with Kompany. He was signed as a midfielder before being pushed into the defence. Pep has spent half the worlds debt building a defence and still hasn’t won a Champions League. 

13 minutes ago, Sly said:

It’s not our job to 🙂 leave that to Top and co.

We were linked with Inzaghi who was managing Lazio at the time and now managing Inter so that won’t happen.

The current Sporting manager we had an interest in and he has done well in Portugal so maybe an option.

Then you have the free managerial agents: Faivre, Paulo Fonseca and Frank Lampard etc who we may be interested in.

I have no doubts we will have a plan for the future, if Rodgers leaves

Edited by Happy Fox
Spelling update

Just now, Sly said:

Not all players will be attracted to the Premier League though, as it could be classed as too competitive. 

In La Liga, you’ve realistically only got to beat 2 other teams to earn Silverware. 

In the Premier League, you’re now almost looking at eight teams potentially that are capable, if not more. 

True, but we're not talking about all players. You can't tell me that the recently acquired wealth at Newcastle won't be enough to buy them 16 players or so that could challenge? I know football is a different landscape now, but Jack Walker managed it, I'm sure they can. 

La Liga has been a glamorous league for years, but it is on the wane. The huge finances involved in the Premier League threatens to overwhelm other European leagues and lots of players want a piece of the wealth and prestige of playing in this league. There will always be players who prefer to play in Spain or Italy, but there's enough want to play in England to build a very good team out of them when money is no object.

8 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I think that's all very fair and realistic. 5th place was always going to be a great achievement for a club like Leicester City though I suppose there are many who felt that for those last two seasons, with the squad we had compared to others, with prevailing situations, despite the injuries, a slightly different more ambitious approach may have just taken us up to that one position higher.

I think because of who and where we are, there was also the realisation that even just one year in Champions League football could potentially have such a great effect in our being able to keep our better players and attract more young talent as well as the more obvious financial rewards. I don't really think there was in most supporters, as is suggested by some, a growing feeling of entitlement, more a  feeling of deflation and disappointment. 

Psychologically, it does make you wonder however, what the feeling would have been had those two seasons had been turned on their heads ie start the season playing dull unambitious football with seemingly ill thought out tactics to then instead, finish with fast flowing entertaining football but subsequently still finishing in exactly the same position. In the latter scenario you finish with an air of excitement albeit still with a sense of disappointment and hard luck but nevertheless, something you could look forward to building upon over the summer. Perhaps it would have a different effect on players also?

We do now however find ourselves in a rather precarious situation I feel. Should Rodgers leave, I can't say I'd be that bothered. However, the situation we'd be left in, is one whereby at the end of the season, we could reasonably expect quite a number of our players wanting to leave unless someone could take over the reins, hit the ground running and reinstall a sense of belief and ambition  into the players. If on the one hand Rodgers can be praised for the top 5 finishes, he's equally responsible for whatever state he'd be leaving us in which somewhat Mars his tenure.

Like others however, I don't readily see anyone better out there to take over the reins but I do think that currently, Rodger's perceived philosophy of how football should be played combined with his bizarre at times decision making, are only going to do us harm in the long run unless he changes tack somewhat and is willing to re-appraise some of his approaches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....when you look at it, it is all pretty relative!!!

Back in the MON days we had the finance to bring in who we could afford. He did a great job and people of a certain age would put what he achieved right up there. 

The finance to back him, with the current and prospective infrastructure planned, has made us a pretty inviting project and you have to judge the difference in the periods to say one is the greatest. We are infinitely more wealthy that we have ever been in our history, that is a very big part of any future mangers starting position as to what they achieve down the line. 

Thats it, you need to look at it relatively just drooling while looking at league positions and going "highest is best" isnt really a very clever way of looking at things.