Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

First things first, it was a great win and in the main (especially first half) a very good performance. There was a real intensity to the Leicester press and I really hope and pray its the confidence boost the team needed to kick on.

The worrying signs are still there however, we can be horribly exposed on the flanks and even a moderately good frontline could have changed the game. That's down to Brendan's formation and set up. I was delighted and relieved we didn't concede but our game management in the second half was again not great, too many unforced errors, loss of concentration and poor passes, again, that might be down to a lack of confidence in getting us over the line.

Sterner but winnable tests ahead and anxiety levels will remain high while we remain in the relegation zone.

Edited by Philkeavo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmer said:

Top looked pleased...Rudkin on the other hand had a face like a smacked arse, looked like he was disappointed with the goals/win which ultimately keeps Rodgers in a job for longer! 

*all speculation of course, but that's how it looked!

Haha, yes I noticed that too! 

• Like 1

He should really have gone before last night, I think we can all agree to that. 

However after last night he gets another game, beat Bournemouth and the recovery is on. Lose to Bournemouth and we are back where we were before last night. 

The players are still playing for him tbf and it will be interesting to see what that shot of confidence can do. We weren't solid defensively last night but a clean sheet gave us something to build on. 

I hope for the sake of our club that this is a turning point and we can go win 4 or 5 in a row and get our season kick started but only time will tell. 

A poor defeat and we will all be calling for his head again. 

I'm still in the Rodgers out camp but right now I think we need to get behind the team and respect the board's decisions. The most important thing is to be out of the relegation zone by the World Cup and we have a run of games that are winnable based on our team's quality. The 14-22 goals stats clearly speak by themselves. Sort out the defensive problems. These are shocking/unbelievable stats after 8 games for a team sitting in the 19th place. I quickly checked stats over the last 20 years from the 5 major leagues in Europe and after 8 games no team in relegation zone had this GF/GA ratio. 

We love breaking all kind of records as a team don't we? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

It is puzzling after all the things that have gone on - a performance like that does clearly show the players are playing for him. 

I do think the set piece coach seems to be paying off. Last night we looked much more organised in both boxes and you sensed we knew what we were doing.

I think the problem is that they've never stopped playing for him. Despite all the poor performances and at times bizarre tactical choices the players have been committed to following his instructions to the letter.

We do have quite a professional bunch, even if they don't believe in what's being asked of them they'll do it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, beepee1984 said:

Brendan has showed if we go down, he can bring us back up!

But against premier league opposition and to stay in the league, we still need change!

1 win, even a good win doesn’t change that 

Small parts of me were yes I won’t lie, I hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t think Brendan has the answers, great result but it’s one of a handful of times we’ve played quite well in about 18 months. And forest were one of the worst teams I’ve seen in recent years so even then I think as well as we did play we were flattered at times by just how bad they were. 

Rodgers behaviour this season tipped me over the fence of wanting him out, so a hammering would have probably seen him gone which would have been  silver lining. Just hope this is a corner turned! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

Would be classic Brendan to make ‘tactical’ changes after a 4-0 win. Hopefully he doesn’t do anything bizarre for the Bournemouth game like switching to a back 3. 

This is the big worry for me. Many times over the past few years he's pulled a performance like last night out and within 3 games reverted back to type.

It never ever lasts long. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

That’s more like it, but I won’t be convinced until we produce a winning run. We have been underperforming for a while. We definitely have the players to finish in the Top 7 or better.

When we are on song we are a joy to watch. That performance was much better, I don’t expect us to win every week but the desire and aggression on and off the ball was there for the first time in a while.

You are right and I suspect most will agree with you. Interesting to note that if we had got just two more wins say against Brentford or Southampton then we would have been level with Liverpool and mid table. It was the desire and aggression that was noticeable last night in the players. Many people understandably only saw the danger in playing the local derby but some saw it as an opportunity. If we couldn’t get up for that one then when could we. We still looked nervy in defence and rode our luck at times but we had been due a bit of that. We have played some top teams in early season but now with an easier run is the time to see if we can still cut it. Last night showed that we can still play attractive passionate football now we need to show that wasn’t a one off. 

What we will come up against on Saturday is an organised defensive unit, something Forest didn't have. 

So it'll be back to us having to be patient and creative enough to break that down.

Two 0-0's and a 1-1 since Gary took over, if you take out their game against Forest where they went for it and won 3-2

But against premier league opposition and to stay in the league, we still need change!

If he took us down he wouldn't deserve the chance to take us back up. 

If he took us down he wouldn't deserve the chance to take us back up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

A large portion of our decline under Rodgers has been down to energy/aggression/intensity...whatever you want to call it. We are at our worst when that intensity drops. It causes a lack of aggression when defending, a lack of concentration, little off the ball movement and a general malaise that contributes to us being unable to break teams down and lose control of matches.

Last night that intensity was there for most of the 90 minutes and you can see how good we can be. But how much of that was due to a corner being turned and how much of that was down to it being a huge match against our local rivals, after a really frustrating start and when the stadium was bouncing? It's a lot easier to create and maintain that intensity in that kind of atmosphere with a lot of pent up frustration powering it.

We saw the same thing last season against United and Liverpool. The fans and players were really up for those matches and we managed to play at a good intensity, but neither ended up being a turning point for our season because we couldn't get anywhere near that intensity in other matches.

I loved last night, but looking at it dispassionately it hasn't done a great deal to convince me that things are changing. There wasn't a great deal new or different, just a team highly fired up playing against a shambles of a team. I still think we'll revert back to where we were, whether that be over the next few weeks or after the World Cup. I hope I'm wrong.

We are at our best when the game is like that, unfortunately it goes against Rodgers desire for control, which means it'll never last. The game last night was played out of pure passion rather than the way Rodgers wants. It reminded me of our first game under Shaky.

It'll be business as usual over the next few games. We won't face a team as poor as Forest were for a long time. They won't continue to be that poor, but at the moment they look exactly what they are. A team with minimal cohesion and chemistry.

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

A large portion of our decline under Rodgers has been down to energy/aggression/intensity...whatever you want to call it. We are at our worst when that intensity drops. It causes a lack of aggression when defending, a lack of concentration, little off the ball movement and a general malaise that contributes to us being unable to break teams down and lose control of matches.

Last night that intensity was there for most of the 90 minutes and you can see how good we can be. But how much of that was due to a corner being turned and how much of that was down to it being a huge match against our local rivals, after a really frustrating start and when the stadium was bouncing? It's a lot easier to create and maintain that intensity in that kind of atmosphere with a lot of pent up frustration powering it.

We saw the same thing last season against United and Liverpool. The fans and players were really up for those matches and we managed to play at a good intensity, but neither ended up being a turning point for our season because we couldn't get anywhere near that intensity in other matches.

I loved last night, but looking at it dispassionately it hasn't done a great deal to convince me that things are changing. There wasn't a great deal new or different, just a team highly fired up playing against a shambles of a team. I still think we'll revert back to where we were, whether that be over the next few weeks or after the World Cup. I hope I'm wrong.

I always feel it's the last roll of the dice for Rodgers, he never ever likes us being aggressive or on the front foot (despite what he says). He's always happiest when we are patient in possession and recycling the ball well. 

We'll get another performance or two like this and when he feels he's safe he'll revert back to his usual style, it's happened so many times over the past few years.

• Like 2

Hopefully we can do enough to steer us away from trouble and we can wait for him to get a better offer or move on in the summer. Our ability to score goals mean we have a good chance of beating the poorer teams. Clean sheet, albeit not the most convincing will hopefully boost some confidence. 

I think players are confused at times but I don't get the impression they have fallen out with the manager, apart from the obvious exceptions. 

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Spot on. This is the most frustrating part. We know this team can play some great football. I saw posts like "Forest are poor" etc. Does it matter? If you don't play with intense and switch off you have no chance even against League One teams. Brentford were poor until 2-0, Southampton were the same until we were up 1-0 and switched off again. 5 points lost out of the sudden, with 9 points now we'll be sitting 3 points off 6th place. 

Just re-watched the game with French commentary, you don't tend to get the natural bias that's in the English media, unless it is Arsenal for obvious reasons.  One of the commentator's, although quite praise worthy of our superior technical ability over the Forest, did question whether our defensive fragility would improve with our current manager with his philosophy.  I think this is where we can all agree, whether you are pro or against Rodgers, it is our defending as a team that needs to substantially improve, because last night a better team would have put us to the sword....thank the lord for a crap Forest team.

Let us hope this gives the team confidence and they can start climbing the table, and if Rodgers is to go, the club can do it on their terms.

• Like 4

Bearing in mind the thread topic is with regards to the vile little cretin nothing has changed for me, I still want him gone ASAP. Whilst I'm ecstatic we have won against the trees and it was 3 well needed points let's not gloss over the fact Florist were truly horrendous, and whilst the performance 1st half was a marked improvement, we did seem to regress 2nd half a little  and our problem traits were beginning to pop up there ugly heads at times. I can only guess  this was due to his half time pep talk and change in directions/tactics. Not wanting to be too much of a party pooper but I guess what I'm  saying is that yesterday's victory was brilliant but it was still a major case of papering over some still very large cracks. Against a better and more organised team I fear result wouldn't have been so much in our favour. Let's be truly honest, Florist were so shockingly poor and they made the task that little bit easier and gave us breathing space to shine, and as mentioned, against better opposition it pains me to say I fear we would have been treated to much of same as weeks gone by. The real acid test for Rodgers is next match, if he can get them to replicate yesterday's performance then all the better and maybe we are starting to turn a corner, but I still want him gone regardless, as IMO he's not a nice person, has said too many bad things, and is 18Mts past his use by date..im sorry, but my stance in this will never change

• Like 1

Said elsewhere - I think the best outcome for us as a club is our form improves, Rodgers can do his media 'well we've salvaged it with naff all help' and then someone goes for him. We have a good opportunity there to give someone half of a season to assess our squad. That's the ideal. 

Ironically their chances yesterday came in a lot of cases of us being a bit over-eager in the press, lost the second ball and they are in. I'd say you do that pressing/running against bottom half teams they will all crumble and unlike say Spurs, they don't have the clinical edge to really pick it apart. Saints and Brentford we sat off rather than keep it up - as you get deeper, your margin for error decreases and a minor error because a goal (see the lack of pressure on the Brentford equaliser or the cross for Saints winner). 

Rodgers has this thing about avoiding 'basketball' - end to end football and he thinks that shows control. Yet we do it too much. Press up and make teams formations crumble like last night - Forest ended up in some bizarre 4-2-4. Ultimately just run harder than everyone - and the rest will take care of itself 

No Bournemouth pre match thread yet? An unpopular opinion maybe but should he drop Evans for Cags? Evans positioning was dreadful when Awoniyi hit the post earlier in the game. I'm not saying that Cags will fix our defensive problems magically but Evans looked very shaky at times yesterday. Maybe shaky is not the right word, he was out of position a few times.