Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics.. 

Midway through the second half we'd had something like 15 shots and 7 on target versus Forest who'd had 3/0. Of course the "hit the post" effort wasn't counted as a "shot on target", but was the real turning point of the game. Another Forest effort would have been offside if it had been scored. 

We were comfortably the better side and deserved the win, but admittedly that doesn't detract from the obvious deficiencies that are still present in our defence. We clearly haven't fixed those in one game and that's the real worry that will only disappear after a run of positive results and competent defending.  

we did deserve the win - they were pants.  But we gifted them 4o or 5 opportunities - against a better team we would be punished!

52 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I think it says more about XG than it does about us. Anyone with eyes could see we battered them from start to finish it really could have been 6 or 7

yes, that was a game where xg is limited in its value. some of their better chances came when the game was dead 

but we did score three goals from outside the box which on another night (80% of the time)  would have returned no goals.

and daka doesn't score that flick 70% of the time. 

we missed a few chances (biggest of which was KDH header).  

the balance of play and anyone watching the game said we were a comfortable winner 

the inner leicester in most of us said we needed a fourth to be comfortable !

If you can't be nothing but really happy with trouncing Forest then you'll never be happy. 

I genuinely think we have "fans" who get pleasure out of mocking us and turning up to moan. Everyone's had a right to be critical of the last year or so but my god when we have something to be happy about like this then crack a smile at least you old prunes. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

If you can't be nothing but really happy with trouncing Forest then you'll never be happy. 

I genuinely think we have "fans" who get pleasure out of mocking us and turning up to moan. Everyone's had a right to be critical of the last year or so but my god when we have something to be happy about like this then crack a smile at least you old prunes. 

Absolutely not, not from my point of view. Chuffed we hammered Forest, but some 'fans' as you put it have tried to tell me and others that all is right in the world again, we are back... What I saw was a better team performance, but if you cannot get up for a Derby game, then those players are in the wrong industry. 

All most are pointing out that xG proved again we seemed fairly open at times as well not creating loads of clear cut chances, it seems we rely on individual brilliance again to score from outside the box (or cheeky back flicks). 

We will see how the next 3-4 weeks go. 

3 minutes ago, TMELcfc said:

Absolutely not, not from my point of view. Chuffed we hammered Forest, but some 'fans' as you put it have tried to tell me and others that all is right in the world again, we are back... What I saw was a better team performance, but if you cannot get up for a Derby game, then those players are in the wrong industry. 

All most are pointing out that xG proved again we seemed fairly open at times as well not creating loads of clear cut chances, it seems we rely on individual brilliance again to score from outside the box (or cheeky back flicks). 

We will see how the next 3-4 weeks go. 

Well our whole issue earlier in the year was them not being able to get up for a Derby game. 

I'm pleased with Rodgers for acknowledging the scale of the game to the fans and emphasising that to the players beforehand. To hear him come out and say they let us down and needed to make it up to us was everything I've needed from him and not got. 

I also think it's too soon to say its turned around but so many on here said this is a lost cause and even Forest will beat us. They were wrong and just maybe they were wrong that he can't turn this around. The players clearly still back him and we've seen what can happen when we all turn up for the players. 

The constant negativity even when something really positive happens is really tiresome on here and always has been. 

21 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Well our whole issue earlier in the year was them not being able to get up for a Derby game. 

I'm pleased with Rodgers for acknowledging the scale of the game to the fans and emphasising that to the players beforehand. To hear him come out and say they let us down and needed to make it up to us was everything I've needed from him and not got. 

I also think it's too soon to say its turned around but so many on here said this is a lost cause and even Forest will beat us. They were wrong and just maybe they were wrong that he can't turn this around. The players clearly still back him and we've seen what can happen when we all turn up for the players. 

The constant negativity even when something really positive happens is really tiresome on here and always has been. 

First and foremost, this is a forum, people need to feel free in expressing their views. 

I think the truth should be spoken, rather than labelling people positive or negative. The truth of course can be twisted, and I also get some people don't like looking at xG as a barometer. 

But the truth is, we are 19th, with 4 points from 8 games. Our xG under Rodgers seems to be getting lower and lower, season after season...

We can go over again all the good stuff and bad stuff in the past - but the here and now, is this season so far, we have been way off. 

There are negatives and positives for what has happened under him, people shouldn't be expected to leave out all the bad stuff, because of one positive in a pretty poor period under his management. 

Like I said before, lets see what happens over the next 3-4 weeks. Of course, everyone wants us to do well, even if they don't like the manager. I don't think I will ever be a Rodgers fan, but I don't care so much, if we are doing really well. 

2 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

The bolded is not logical. If his style of play was responsible for the collapse, then it was also responsible for being in that position is the first place.

"Garfield could have won all that with Celtic at the time"

Interesting, because Lenny didn't. He let Rangers break the 10

End of season collapses are about mentality, not tactics. So as I said, you can criticise his man management. But his style of play has improved teams everywhere he went since Swansea. 

Rangers weren't too much of a threat before Rodgers left. They had next to no competition.

Its not just about mentality its about tactics too, Rodgers went more conservative with the play. Remember when we was 1-0 up at Bournemouth a win which would have 100% guaranteed 4th place and he took off Iheanacho and brought Praet on at half time to bolster the midfield and go more defensive? That tactical decision meant we surrendered the initiative and invited Bournemouth onto us for 45 minutes and they scored 4 times. 

There are also all the other games that he approached too cautiously and allowed the team to develop a habit of not taking risks in possession which has lead to us spending the best part of the last 2 years playing tippy tappy in front of the opposition. Our xG is one of the lowest in the league and more often than not we score goals down to individual brilliance rather than cohesive attacking play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

I'm happy we trounced Forest but that does not excuse the absolutely abysmal start to the season we've had. 

It's hard to get too carried away with a win when we are still in such a bad position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

I'm happy we trounced Forest but that does not excuse the absolutely abysmal start to the season we've had. 

It's hard to get too carried away with a win when we are still in such a bad position. 

Got to start somewhere though ...  :thumbup:

And what a good place to start !

That press conference seemed very positive... it feels like maybe both the manager and the players have realised they need to knuckle down now and downing tools isnt helping anyone.  Perhaps we can get back to ourselves and pull ourselves away from this. I want to believe it... but id still not be surprised to see us lose 1-0 to B'mouth. 

I said pre-forest, the next 2 had to be won at a minimum. If we can do that,  we can pull away from this. 

2 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

So in that respect it was like every game ever then.

Xg is always limited in its value. Limited to zero.

xG is one of those stats I think that you have to put with other data in order for it to prove what’s happened in a game. 

It’s a bit like possession - both it’s typically better to usually have a higher amount of, and the same logic applies to xG, but it doesn’t necessarily show the whole picture of how a game has transpired. 

Edited by pedmcl

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

That press conference seemed very positive.

Didn't it though. Rodgers has stopped sounding paranoid and defensive, no longer flailing the excuses and pointing the finger. He was calm, measured and informative... even had a bit of a laugh! Maybe things are calming down now and we can find our rhythm.

20 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

5th, 5th, FA Cup,  Invincible Scottish Treble, double treble, Liverpool closest they came to winning the PL before Klopp, Swansea promoted to and kept in the Premier League

Doesn't sound like that much of a weakness to me.

His transfers and man management, yes.

But his style of play? No

Blew a huge lead over 5th

Luck boxed an FA cup with us getting lucky in multiple games

Wow, won everything in scotland when the next biggest team had about a 10th of their budget.

Blew Liverpools premier league title and left them with a horrible squad that Klopp has to dismantle. Also refused to work with Michael Edwards, while Klopp embraced him and started signing lots of talented player

I'll give you Swansea

• Like 1

Let’s not rock the boat just yet folks.

we are still fragile but if we beat Bournemouth convincingly than we know the forest game wasn’t a one-off. I’ve no worries in the attacking dept we are almost firing on all cylinders just need Vardy to find his groove again. Rogers is managing it all well so far but it’s only 1 week I know.

it’s our defense it needs to be steelier and more resolute. Major improvements against forest but we got caught twice with our pants down on the counter. We got lucky.

gotta watch that high line. N’didi was slightly better in that he was putting the effort in but still looks a shadow of his former self. If he’s not doing what he’s previously great at than his position is pretty pointless rather have Mendy.

KDH needs to calm down is trying too hard  and making mistakes. Ward gets a stay of execution let’s see how he does in the next few games. Oh and Evans stop the silly hospital passes under no pressure that could get your team mates in trouble

43 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Luck boxed an FA cup with us getting lucky in multiple games

Wow, won everything in scotland when the next biggest team had about a 10th of their budget.

Blew Liverpools premier league title and left them with a horrible squad that Klopp has to dismantle. Also refused to work with Michael Edwards, while Klopp embraced him and started signing lots of talented player

I'll give you Swansea

Interesting twist on the accomplishments... Not heard them before..

If there was an AI view on Rodgers' CV and history to date, it would say "exceeded expectations". 

We and Forest are fighting for Rafa. Colour me unimpressed. But I just want someone who’ll keep us up.

And I’m not so upbeat that Rodgers can do that even after we beat a shit Championship side.

If Rafa can, then welcome Rafa.

I'm a bit brighter on relegation. After Monday, I kind of think this team are good enough to stay up , hopefully borne out by another clear win against Bournemouth, fingers crossed.

And if Rodgers doesn't turn it around someone else will. Most likely someone solid with an initial short term remit. Rafa and Dyche are thr obvious names.

The board won't be that stupid to wait for 10 games to go...

7 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

End of season collapses are about mentality, not tactics. So as I said, you can criticise his man management. But his style of play has improved teams everywhere he went since Swansea. 

...so why have we been watching these pedestrian performances week after week!!!

As soon as teams work him out, he looks to go safe, only he is unable to put a team out that can control the game and yet be a threat up front. As soon as the pressure is on, he crawls back into his shell, reluctant to stick his head outside. He just cannot handle pressure, he pushes it on to his players and asks them to play in a way that is counter to who they are.

His next media narrative will be to look at me, I had no backing in the "summer window" and I am getting this squad to overachieve, forgetting that these were the same players he publicly stated, were not good enough and had achieved more than they (the players) ever believed they would and did not have it in them to achieve again.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RedSoxUK said:

Interesting twist on the accomplishments... Not heard them before..

If there was an AI view on Rodgers' CV and history to date, it would say "exceeded expectations". 

I’d say when the going gets tough he bottles it. Not just here but also at Liverpool. 

2 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Arsenal in 2019 and Spurs when Mourinho left I guess?

....did we offer him more!!!

Why is he bigging up himself about his loyalty to the club, if he could have left, then money would have been a factor. Does he now feel comfortable pushing back at the supporters who wanted him out, or has there been a conversation regarding his tenure prior to the Forest game?

• Like 1