Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I don’t see him getting the push from here but we do have to be careful what we seemingly wish for a bit. Brendan will still be being looked at by clubs that are now around us - Arsenal and Spurs in-particular id suggest might start looking here if their managers don’t step up by say January. He’d do a great job at both of those in my mind. Without a bit more backing from us I could see those jobs looking more attractive in the circumstances as well. He’s part of what united us post losing Vichai, and it was only May we saw the power of that first hand when we were all united celebrating the FA Cup.

This isn’t like Claudio where sadly it was all but an inevitability we would go down under his stewardship at that point. We’ve had an average start and there have been some concerns about how we are playing - and Brendan has made some strong decisions (as he has rightly in the past) and got a few wrong, but it’s not the end of the world yet, this team aren’t getting relegated after an avalanche of a turnaround over one summer - like what happened under Taylor, it’s nowhere near that dire at all.

Hopefully this international break has come at the right time for us and we come back with a bit more swagger - Reunited and focused to be that Leicester City again after a bit of a dodgy start.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

So FT has decided he's a good manager and are worried about losing him to Newcastle.

A week ago he should be sacked.

This place is weird.

I think we are going to have a moderate season. We will be mid-table this season mainly because we are in transition with Evans and Vardy close to the end of their playing careers and a lot of new players to bed in . We will lose matches and we need to accept that. If every time we do though we immediately blame Rodgers and launch unthought out attacks on him , he will eventually be tempted to move on. There is still a lot of work to do to elevate this club to the level of the major city clubs . We need a bigger fanbase and a worldwide commercial profile. When we have the larger stadium and show that we can fill it , that will be a major step. We are still a highly competitive team and capable of results against anybody but this is a very tough league and there is no guarantee that we will beat any other team in it. As long as Rodgers can clearly motivate his players we should have more patience.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So he's got the 7th most expensive team finish 5th for the past 2 seasons? That's pretty good don't you think? 

lol Yep, I didn't understand the post either!

Also where do people get his wage from? I doubt he his the 3rd highest paid manager in the league now anyway given Tunchel's arrival.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

lol Yep, I didn't understand the post either!

Also where do people get his wage from? I doubt he his the 3rd highest paid manager in the league now anyway given Tunchel's arrival.

I wouldn’t have thought Benitez was far behind.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So he's got the 7th most expensive team finish 5th for the past 2 seasons? That's pretty good don't you think? 

Not quite as good as being worth 21.5m compared to Manchester City 300m in 2015/16 and coming first! Now that really was pretty good and winning by a clear 10 points, despite what a few miffed pundits would like you to believe, wasn't down to either sheer good luck or the rest of the Premiership conveniently being poor that year.

Agreed, the richest team will usually take the spoils for obvious reasons but, money alone is not everything, it's about building a team, not collecting galacticos. 5th on paper was and is very good but, with the squad we had and the odd prevailing football circumstances of those two years, it took a major failure/capitulation but largely, just imo, feat of mismanagement not to finish 4th. You can't always judge things in pure monetary terms.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not quite as good as being worth 21.5m compared to Manchester City 300m in 2015/16 and coming first! Now that really was pretty good and winning by a clear 10 points, despite what a few miffed pundits would like you to believe, wasn't down to either sheer good luck or the rest of the Premiership conveniently being poor that year.

Agreed, the richest team will usually take the spoils for obvious reasons but, money alone is not everything, it's about building a team, not collecting galacticos. 5th on paper was and is very good but, with the squad we had and the odd prevailing football circumstances of those two years, it took a major failure/capitulation but largely, just imo, feat of mismanagement not to finish 4th. You can't always judge things in pure monetary terms.

“The squad we had”… of which we were missing huge chunks of it constantly or had players struggling when they returned.

Edited by Babylon

Guest Col city fan

I ask again, do you think another manager at present could do more with this current squad of players (forget the injuries for a moment, I mean the available players) than Brendan is doing?

If you think so, then there’s a debate to be had about who and when.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I ask again, do you think another manager at present could do more with this current squad of players (forget the injuries for a moment, I mean the available players) than Brendan is doing?

I think whoever had the gig right might, would struggle with the current situation. 

Could he have helped himself though, yes. 

I think that’s why people are getting frustrated. I don’t think he needs replacing though, as despite the inevitable money spurge that’s incoming, we still have a very good squad and Brendan is more than capable of getting a tune out of them. 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Higher than 13th, definitely. Higher than 5th? No.

Getting him out and getting the ideal replacement is not straightforward. The best solution is for Rodgers to get us going again.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

“The squad we had”… of which we were missing huge chunks of it constantly or had players struggling when they returned.

As did many other teams lest we forget. We also fielded players out of position when there were viable alternatives or other formations. He continually refused to use players in their more suitable or familiar positions in order to slavishly follow a failing formation and tactics.

This for me combined with such a negative and defensive approach led to our downfall  ... again just imo. It was as if Rodgers was reliving his former collapse at Liverpool. Yes, players sometimes have to take the blame but I always, listening to Rodgers repetitive babble  get the impression that there's always someone else to blame other than himself. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

As did many other teams lest we forget. We also fielded players out of position when there were viable alternatives or other formations. He continually refused to use players in their more suitable or familiar positions in order to slavishly follow a failing formation and tactics.

This for me combined with such a negative and defensive approach led to our downfall  ... again just imo. It was as if Rodgers was reliving his former collapse at Liverpool. Yes, players sometimes have to take the blame but I always, listening to Rodgers repetitive babble  get the impression that there's always someone else to blame other than himself. 

Actually no, not many teams did lose players for as many games as we did. And the ones that did were generally richer clubs with more expensive squads and bigger budgets. 

Im more than happy for people to be critical, I’ve been fairly critical about some of his actions since he came in, and yeah I think his rather negative attitude was a large part in our fall off. But I’m not going to let people gloss over injuries, last season’s final position and an FA cup was a minor bloody miracle. 

Also, people are so desperately sure about the quality of our squad. Why I don’t know as most have never done anything at other clubs anywhere close to the positions we find ourselves in and the vast majority have done nothing here under anyone but Rodgers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Actually no, not many teams did lose players for as many games as we did. And the ones that did were generally richer clubs with more expensive squads and bigger budgets. 

Im more than happy for people to be critical, I’ve been fairly critical about some of his actions since he came in, and yeah I think his rather negative attitude was a large part in our fall off. But I’m not going to let people gloss over injuries, last season’s final position and an FA cup was a minor bloody miracle. 

Also, people are so desperately sure about the quality of our squad. Why I don’t know as most have never done anything at other clubs anywhere close to the positions we find ourselves in and the vast majority have done nothing here under anyone but Rodgers.

The west ham game... the Newcastle game and the Fulham game.  These were lost due to tactics and psychology.   We should not have finished out of the top 4.... but we did. 

Rodgers tactics do not leave our opponents guessing. He needs to wise up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Yes... its some black and some white. For him to improve he needs to irradicate bad

Well sure, but let’s not forget the good.

Successive 5th place finishes and an FA cup can’t be dismissed easily. We could have finished 4th without his bad but we might not have come close under a different manager.

Klopp and Pep have flaws, do you think they could get a better tune out of this squad? I’m not sure, maybe this season but I doubt they could have the previous 2.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Successive 5th place finishes and an FA cup can’t be dismissed easily. We could have finished 4th without his bad but we might not have come close under a different manager.

Klopp and Pep have flaws, do you think they could get a better tune out of this squad? I’m not sure, maybe this season but I doubt they could have the previous 2.

Agree.  But to improve we must all work on our flaws as mrs foxinsocks often reminds me.

My first post was simply to set aside injury issues and say that I believe we got sone poor results due to Brendan.  I dont want him gone... I want him better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I think the difference between a manager like Rodgers and an elite one like Pep or Klopp is that Pep and Klopp tend to start off slowly then you see the tactics come together, they remove the players who cant play in their system and the players who they keep improve significantly over time and their teams improve season after season. Whether for better or worse Rodgers started off red hot with us and we've been on a downwards trend after that initial run ever since, (despite the FA cup win we have looked as good as when he first started in a while) in a fashion similar to his time at liverpool. For me it would imply that's he's excellent at getting the best out of a talented squad from a new manager bounce, he's good at rubbing egos and getting individuals to turn up at their best when he comes in. What we havent seen from him so far is any promise of longevity from him, there are no possession/pressing/defending/counterattacking tactics that he's slowly training the players to be more adept in, we've already seen the best out of Rodgers tactically. To be fair to him he cleaned out the deadwood quite well when he first came in such as ghezzal and slimani but now he's bringing deadwood in in the form of bertrand/vestegaard/perez/praet. Rodgers is, like most managers, a fresh face to come in and get the best out of players for a few seasons, but he's not a project manager, he wont build up an elite side season after season until theyre competing at the top, he's incapable of it. Our success comes and goes when our players come in and out of form, to be fair to rodgers, when they return to form that is usually due to a tactical switch/change of personel but there is no rigid tactical system like liverpool's which keeps players like robertson, TAA, henderson, wijnaldum, who before Klopp no one would have considered elite, performing at their absolute best week in week out. Basically what im saying is that there are quite a few managers who could have played off the manager bounce with this squad like rodgers and gotten a similar level of success, if you give rodger the resources klopp has had, or even all the resources he could want, he would never be able to build up a side that could face Man City or Liverpool and beat them regularly.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yes they would because they're better managers. Simple as that really.

Puel never got us into the top 6 with the majority of the same players as we have now (Kasper, Vardy, Iheanacho, Ricardo, Evans, Maddison, Chilwell, Maguire were all here under Puel but Rodgers achieved what Puel couldn't with them).

Edited by Fox92

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Puel never got us into the top 6 with the majority of the same players as we have now (Kasper, Vardy, Iheanacho, Ricardo, Evans, Maddison, Chilwell, Maguire were all here under Puel but Rodgers achieved what Puel couldn't with them).

I’m not convinced they would have, Klopp barely achieved more points than us last season with much better players and resources.

Just now, Strokes said:

I’m not convinced they would have, Klopp barely achieved more points than us last season with much better players and resources.

That's one season. A tight season also (as Man City were by far the best side in the division and nobody could match them).

Klopp had one of the World's best centre backs out for most of the season and it showed.

But I think he'd get more out of our players over several seasons, same as Pep would.

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Guys... of course all managers have flaws... and most have to deal with injuries etc.

What is key for me is to see if they keep digging or learn to be better.

No idea if klopp is better or worse (... I suspect worse) but right now I just want Brendan to be as good as he can be.  That means not repeating his errors.

My worry is that manager are stubborn (.. I think it is self belief that makes sucessful)... usually until they are sacked... (ref ranieri, maureen etc). I hope Brendan is better than that