Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

28 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

So over a third of the season gone & we have 11 points. At that rate we will have just over 30 points, this equals relegation.

We have 25 games left & probably need between 28 & 30 points to survive, something that should be no worry with the quality of squad we have. The big problem is our elite coach, we still have to play Liverpool twice, Newcastle twice, Man U & Man City away & Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs at home. That is 9 games that, if yesterday's tactics are anything to go by, we are unlikely to try & win. So write those off & we have 16 games to get almost 2 points per game.

I would say that is very doubtful, unless BR decides to be more positive against the bigger teams (very unlikely) or preferably we get a new manager in with some refreshing ideas

....yesterdays tactics were right, we failed to execute the second phase (counter) in a clinical way!!!

We are not going to be sitting off teams in the top 6, there are one or two teams to employ that tactic against, you need to understand the need to play a certain way when up against a team who plays a certain way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

So over a third of the season gone & we have 11 points. At that rate we will have just over 30 points, this equals relegation.

We have 25 games left & probably need between 28 & 30 points to survive, something that should be no worry with the quality of squad we have. The big problem is our elite coach, we still have to play Liverpool twice, Newcastle twice, Man U & Man City away & Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs at home. That is 9 games that, if yesterday's tactics are anything to go by, we are unlikely to try & win. So write those off & we have 16 games to get almost 2 points per game.

I would say that is very doubtful, unless BR decides to be more positive against the bigger teams (very unlikely) or preferably we get a new manager in with some refreshing ideas

It doesn’t really work like that though, you can’t simply multiply everyone’s points total now by 3 and think that’s what they will end up with come what May. 
To stay up we need to get a single point more than Leeds, Southampton or Villa + match Wolves and Forests results over 25 games. I’d say that is easily doable. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You do realise that we would need 45+ points from the remaining 25 games to get close to 7th or 8th this season don't you? That's 1.8 points a game for the rest of the season, not impossible as this squad has shown in the past it can pretty much do that for two thirds of a season but it's a real big ask. 

You're assuming I'm saying Fulham and Brighton will finish in those positions, I don't think they will Fulham wont finish top half, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulham finish 14th or 15th.

Just now, Beachyboy said:

You're assuming I'm saying Fulham and Brighton will finish in those positions, I don't think they will Fulham wont finish top half, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulham finish 14th or 15th.

Yes, sorry I'd misread it. I'd love nothing more than us finishing higher than my nemesis Brighton but I don't see it. Fulham maybe but Silva is a very streaky manager and I could see them getting top 10.

I do think 2 of the promoted teams have a very good chance of staying up, which has ramifications for the group of clubs like us, Southampton, Leeds, Villa, Wolves etc.

13 hours ago, Matt said:

I get the positivity but we were rubbish last season, throughout, it was looking like a low finishing position. Towards the end of the season, we managed a few good results, albeit against teams with nothing to play for and/or already relegated teams (But you can only play what's infront of you), there was a sense, from some, that we'd turned it around, finishing in a fairly high and respectful position given where we were and how the season was going, gaining confidence and momentum going into this season.

Clearly not.

Last season was three or four wins against relegation fodder and lower half teams, 2015 was seven wins from nine, an 2019 was five wins from seven with a 3-0 win against Arsenal, a little longer runs against stronger opposition.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, sorry I'd misread it. I'd love nothing more than us finishing higher than my nemesis Brighton but I don't see it. Fulham maybe but Silva is a very streaky manager and I could see them getting top 10.

I do think 2 of the promoted teams have a very good chance of staying up, which has ramifications for the group of clubs like us, Southampton, Leeds, Villa, Wolves etc.

I've seen enough in the last couple weeks to think we will finish where I thought at the end of last season, we would finish which was 13th. I do think Brighton always seem to start well and tail off, they are never usually in the European places with 6-10 games left.

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

I've seen enough in the last couple weeks to think we will finish where I thought at the end of last season, we would finish which was 13th. I do think Brighton always seem to start well and tail off, they are never usually in the European places with 6-10 games left.

I'd snap your hand off for 13th, probably need around 35-38 points for that without checking past trends. Not unrealistic but also requires us to vastly improve our away from and results against the big 6 which last season tailed off and this season has been a fcukin disgrace.

Just now, Dames said:

We are in a position where a good chunk of our fanbase and commentators are lauding an 11-men behind the ball performance in a game we lost as a tactical masterclass. 

I'm all in favour of pragmatism but it just shows how far expectations and standards have dropped off. The narrative he has spun has well and truly set in and we've gone from being the club most likely to challenge and be the best of the rest to being lucky to have lost only 1-0 to Man City and accepting of relegation battle we find ourselves in. I find it bizarre that the matchday crowd have been so muted and so accepting of our current situation. 

It just shows that Rodgers media campaign and spin has worked and I can't accept having a manager that has done this to the club. 

Couldn't have put it better mate

1 minute ago, Dames said:

We are in a position where a good chunk of our fanbase and commentators are lauding an 11-men behind the ball performance in a game we lost as a tactical masterclass. 

Where's it been called a tactical masterclass? 

I'm sure people just perhaps appreciate that we had a game plan, and it turned out that we didn't get thrashed. A far cry from the kamikaze defending seen in the earlier part of the season. 

Sometimes the opinion that things have improved doesn't have to be some kind of presumed hyperbolic statement. It can just be a recognition that we've perhaps organised things better and come up with a game plan that made arguably the best side in the world struggle against the leakiest defence in the league. 

No one states its a masterclass. No one says is was perfect despite losing. 

It's nothing to do with standards dropping. Sometimes it's fine to take stock of the situation and the game in isolation, and trying to frustrate them instead of attacking them and leaving gaping holes in behind was the better way to go. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

I'm all in favour of pragmatism but it just shows how far expectations and standards have dropped off. The narrative he has spun has well and truly set in and we've gone from being the club most likely to challenge and be the best of the rest to being lucky to have lost only 1-0 to Man City and accepting of relegation battle we find ourselves in. I find it bizarre that the matchday crowd have been so muted and so accepting of our current situation. 

It just shows that Rodgers media campaign and spin has worked and I can't accept having a manager that has done this to the club. 

I think a lot of the fanbase have always felt that way all along. It's like they think everything has happened by fluke and have been expecting it to all fall apart. Then our knight in shining armour came and even though it's an almost impossible job, he has not only kept us in the league, but he's also finished in the top half regularly. Whilst somehow winning a trophy against all odds.

Just happy to make up the numbers, and ignoring the clearly brilliant platforms set up initially by Pearson, Walsh and Shakespeare and then again built on by Puel and Macia. We desperately need another manager who is happy to build a solid foundation for us even if risks upsetting some of the precious hearts in the squad or fan base.

• Like 2

Way off on using Saturday's game/performance/tactics as an indicator of the clubs slipping expectations. We've played like that every time against Man City like that since we've come up - with possibly two expectations (one very notable performance where we completely ripped them apart). That's every manager doing the same sort of deep block, counter-attack, take advantage of errors and work from that. 

Now if you had made the comment after the Man U game this season I'd agree. Our sliding scale of how we perform against them would be an example of altering expectations. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Where's it been called a tactical masterclass? 

I'm sure people just perhaps appreciate that we had a game plan, and it turned out that we didn't get thrashed. A far cry from the kamikaze defending seen in the earlier part of the season. 

Sometimes the opinion that things have improved doesn't have to be some kind of presumed hyperbolic statement. It can just be a recognition that we've perhaps organised things better and come up with a game plan that made arguably the best side in the world struggle against the leakiest defence in the league. 

No one states its a masterclass. No one says is was perfect despite losing. 

It's nothing to do with standards dropping. Sometimes it's fine to take stock of the situation and the game in isolation, and trying to frustrate them instead of attacking them and leaving gaping holes in behind was the better way to go. 

There are puff pieces in the Athletic and Mercury along with posters on here saying how his tactics were right and spot on. He's been getting a lot of praise. 

23 minutes ago, Dames said:

We are talking about one of, if not the best club in the world we are playing against. 
We had a game plan, we stuck to it, and played an absolute blinder.

At the end of the day, there were only 2 moments of magic in the game.

KDB hit the post and went in with a phenomenal free kick.

Tielemans had a dipping volley that was pure class that was tipped onto the bar.

There’s a lot to be pissed of with this season. Saturday is not one of them. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dames said:

There are puff pieces in the Athletic and Mercury along with posters on here saying how his tactics were right and spot on. He's been getting a lot of praise. 

Compared to what would have been the likely scenario had we gone 'toe-to-toe' with them. They would have opened us up at will and it would have been a hammering. 

Then what would have been the response? 

It's probably the best of a bad option to go ultra defensive. It nearly proved to be a beneficial one though. Yes of course it's not what it used to be like a while ago but no need for some to take some kind of high ground that it was the wrong option to do so based on how we used to play. 

I just can't agree with the comment either that liking how we played on Saturday means that standards have dropped and somehow Rodgers has acted the devil and brainwashed us all. If we do that kind of tactic against Everton and West Ham (we won't) then yeah I'd probably agree with you. We've never, or rarely, been that defensive in a game with 11 behind the ball. I can't remember a game like that - perhaps against Liverpool once under Rodgers. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

We are talking about one of, if not the best club in the world we are playing against. 
We had a game plan, we stuck to it, and played an absolute blinder.

At the end of the day, there were only 2 moments of magic in the game.

KDB hit the post and went in with a phenomenal free kick.

Tielemans had a dipping volley that was pure class that was tipped onto the bar.

There’s a lot to be pissed of with this season. Saturday is not one of them. 

I dunno. I understand containing against such a great side but not for as long as we did. Second half after they scored right up until about 20 mins to go was like a Manchester City training game.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Second half after they scored right up until about 20 mins to go was like a Manchester City training game.

Agree we should have changed it as soon as they scored. 

Rodgers said after the game he wanted to still be in the game around 60-65 mins and then strike some kind of counter-punch. 

Who knows, perhaps with an extra 10 mins to play and chase a goal and we may have done it. We were definitely mounting the pressure on. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Agree we should have changed it as soon as they scored. 

Rodgers said after the game he wanted to still be in the game around 60-65 mins and then strike some kind of counter-punch. 

Who knows, perhaps with an extra 10 mins to play and chase a goal and we may have done it. We were definitely mounting the pressure on. 

We were mounting pressure on and because it was so late is what was frustrating. Last 20 mins or so we were on top, aside from one of their counters. It's a shame we didn't just start playing like that after they scored.

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Compared to what would have been the likely scenario had we gone 'toe-to-toe' with them. They would have opened us up at will and it would have been a hammering. 

Then what would have been the response? 

It's probably the best of a bad option to go ultra defensive. It nearly proved to be a beneficial one though. Yes of course it's not what it used to be like a while ago but no need for some to take some kind of high ground that it was the wrong option to do so based on how we used to play. 

I just can't agree with the comment either that liking how we played on Saturday means that standards have dropped and somehow Rodgers has acted the devil and brainwashed us all. If we do that kind of tactic against Everton and West Ham (we won't) then yeah I'd probably agree with you. We've never, or rarely, been that defensive in a game with 11 behind the ball. I can't remember a game like that - perhaps against Liverpool once under Rodgers. 

I don't know where this toe-to-toe as the only other option narrative has come from? There are plenty of ways to play football rather than just park the bus and toe-to-toe. 

The other thing which a lot of people are pointing out but not putting two and two together is that when we did decide to attack or get up the pitch with purpose we caused problems and Man City did not look unbeatable. The problem with Saturdays tactics was that we had little ambition to even attempt to cause them issues apart from towards the end of the game when we were already 1-0 down or when we were resetting from deadball situations in our own half. 

I'm not saying we should have won that game but we also made barely any attempt to win the game either at 0-0 which I can't agree with. Not when we've got the attacking players to cause problems if used effectively. Again this does not mean toe-to-toe but with a few tweaks to the tactics used on Saturday to better utilise the players and give Man City problems. Isolating Barnes against Stones who was playing out of position should have been our out ball we aimed to hit every time.  

• Like 2