Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

I don't know where this toe-to-toe as the only other option narrative has come from? There are plenty of ways to play football rather than just park the bus and toe-to-toe. 

The other thing which a lot of people are pointing out but not putting two and two together is that when we did decide to attack or get up the pitch with purpose we caused problems and Man City did not look unbeatable. The problem with Saturdays tactics was that we had little ambition to even attempt to cause them issues apart from towards the end of the game when we were already 1-0 down or when we were resetting from deadball situations in our own half. 

I'm not saying we should have won that game but we also made barely any attempt to win the game either at 0-0 which I can't agree with. Not when we've got the attacking players to cause problems if used effectively. Again this does not mean toe-to-toe but with a few tweaks to the tactics used on Saturday to better utilise the players and give Man City problems. Isolating Barnes against Stones who was playing out of position should have been our out ball we aimed to hit every time.  

My thinking being that if we did play less defensively is that we would be carved open. Hence 'toe-to-toe'. 

I think we did use Barnes as the outlet. But he was disappointing even when he did get the ball. He was actually doing his defensive job quite well - De Bruyne would get in positions close to Silva. Barnes was placed in a position to stop the balls through to him while Justin was marking Silva. Move Barnes out of that position more regularly, and De Bruyne finds space to work in. 

So I get Rodgers thinking behind wanting to contain for most of the game and then try and snatch the game towards the end as Man City got more frustrated. Having said that, I am in agreement that things should have been changed much sooner after they scored. 

I also think we could have been quicker in getting the ball to Barnes, Justin, Tielemans whenever Ward had the ball after collecting from a cross or a goalkick. 

If he steers us to mid table mediocrity he will have done enough in the eyes of the media. Then the board will have a big decision to make. Will they trust him with any summer rebuild?

We will lose Tieleman’s and likely Madders too. The task will be immense. For me he isn’t the man for the job now, let alone then, but I’m not making the decisions. 

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

My thinking being that if we did play less defensively is that we would be carved open. Hence 'toe-to-toe'. 

I think we did use Barnes as the outlet. But he was disappointing even when he did get the ball. He was actually doing his defensive job quite well - De Bruyne would get in positions close to Silva. Barnes was placed in a position to stop the balls through to him while Justin was marking Silva. Move Barnes out of that position more regularly, and De Bruyne finds space to work in. 

So I get Rodgers thinking behind wanting to contain for most of the game and then try and snatch the game towards the end as Man City got more frustrated. Having said that, I am in agreement that things should have been changed much sooner after they scored. 

I also think we could have been quicker in getting the ball to Barnes, Justin, Tielemans whenever Ward had the ball after collecting from a cross or a goalkick. 

I'll admit it's a fine line on what I'm advocating but upon seeing the lineup and watching the game I feel that Rodgers was too preoccupied with containing Man City and stopping them rather than thinking of how we could exploit gaps and hurt them. It was frustrating seeing us get the ball and pass it in short triangles or side to side inviting Man City to press and turnover rather than playing through the lines. This is mainly because we had the problem of having all 11 men within 25-30 yards of our own goal line. 

28 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He absolutely shouldn't ever be given another penny to spend here

Then there is little point him being here. You can't expect Managers to work with 0 budget especially when there are planned outgoings. Either keep him and back him, or get rid.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dames said:

We are in a position where a good chunk of our fanbase and commentators are lauding an 11-men behind the ball performance in a game we lost as a tactical masterclass. 

I'm all in favour of pragmatism but it just shows how far expectations and standards have dropped off. The narrative he has spun has well and truly set in and we've gone from being the club most likely to challenge and be the best of the rest to being lucky to have lost only 1-0 to Man City and accepting of relegation battle we find ourselves in. I find it bizarre that the matchday crowd have been so muted and so accepting of our current situation. 

It just shows that Rodgers media campaign and spin has worked and I can't accept having a manager that has done this to the club. 

Apart from it being much more a case of us being unlucky not to have at least drawn against them, and absolutely no-one accepting the relegation battle we find ourselves in, you've hit the nail on the head here. 

Talk about 'spin'...

51 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Certainly not going anywhere until way into next year now. I was Brendan Out around the breaks but some of you have let the guy live in your head rent free. Time to back the team instead of wanting the team to lose because of your vendetta.

It's not a vendetta though. It's wanting to get the team and club back on track. If Brendan gets us enough points over the next few matches, and there's not a better candidate until the end of the season, I'm happy enough to let him get us 40 points.

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Apart from it being much more a case of us being unlucky not to have at least drawn against them, and absolutely no-one accepting the relegation battle we find ourselves in, you've hit the nail on the head here. 

Talk about 'spin'...

I see your point on the first part but the majority of match day fans have barely made a single noise of discontent about the situation we are currently in. To me that is acceptance. 

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

I see your point on the first part but the majority of match day fans have barely made a single noise of discontent about the situation we are currently in. To me that is acceptance. 

Perhaps they're just more sanguine than you when it comes to talk of a 'relegation battle' 13 games in and 4 points off mid-table

i think there's a pretty decent chance we're bottom of the table heading into the world cup. 

the good thing is there's at least 4 teams out there who are absolutely stinking bad (Forest, Leeds, Wolves, Saints) so it'll be bunched at the bottom. 

it's clear he's not going anywhere so lets hope the club give him a winger in Jan & we can stay up. 

56 minutes ago, Dames said:

I'll admit it's a fine line on what I'm advocating but upon seeing the lineup and watching the game I feel that Rodgers was too preoccupied with containing Man City and stopping them rather than thinking of how we could exploit gaps and hurt them. It was frustrating seeing us get the ball and pass it in short triangles or side to side inviting Man City to press and turnover rather than playing through the lines. This is mainly because we had the problem of having all 11 men within 25-30 yards of our own goal line. 

I think your being a little to critical & just seeing 11 men behind the ball.
Your right there was but that was 1 element of the 1st half tactic the 2nd was to steal the ball & break quickly with Barnes n Vardy whilst the majority of Man C defense would have been drawn into a very very high line.
This did happen on the odd occasion but for the 1st 20-25mins where we looked woeful was because our short passing to get the ball to the player(s) that were going to spring the trap was bloody awful, we couldn't string 2 passes without losing the ball, when we did he had those Barnes chances.

It was a collective tactic of offence defense it looked singular as our poor passing & execution of springing the trap made it look soley defensive.

Just now, turtmcfly said:

Clearly. Seems like a special level of 'Brendan out' when you appear to be arguing that he shouldn't have been allowed to sign Faes

Whereas you'll just blindly defend him over anything. He shouldn't be here to spend another penny. It's not a difficult concept 

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

For some it is yeah 

As it stands, I would rather we had someone else, but he is not damned forever for me. If he can improve the team, and we are starting to see signs, then he should be judged on the improvement and not on his past, albeit we need a significantly larger sample size.

If anyone cannot accept there could be improvement and it should be applauded, then they operate from too entrenched a position to be provide useful contemporary  judgement.

Well, imho. :D

Edited by Dahnsouff

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

As it stands, I would rather we had someone else, but he is not damned forever for me. If he can improve the team, and we are starting to see signs, then he should be judged on the improvement and not on his past, albeit we need a significantly larger sample size.

If anyone cannot accept there could be improvement and it should be applauded, then they operate from too entrenched a position to be provide useful contemporary  judgement.

Well, imho. :D

Which is fine but the question was whether he should be entrusted with transfer funds which in our current financial situation I don't think he should be. There's no longevity in him staying so if any funds are available give it to somebody with fresh ideas 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Which is fine but the question was whether he should be entrusted with transfer funds which in our current financial situation I don't think he should be. There's no longevity in him staying so if any funds are available give it to somebody with fresh ideas 

I think the new head scout tells us the change of the reins of power when it comes to transfer control, otherwise, why would Glover come? I hope, and it is hope, that Brendan turns it around through coaching players he is given and jot selected.

42 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

i think there's a pretty decent chance we're bottom of the table heading into the world cup. 

the good thing is there's at least 4 teams out there who are absolutely stinking bad (Forest, Leeds, Wolves, Saints) so it'll be bunched at the bottom. 

it's clear he's not going anywhere so lets hope the club give him a winger in Jan & we can stay up. 

Again, you need to look at other teams fixtures.

People are so quick to this depsite the fact Wolves' last two games are Brighton and Arsenal, Southampton's last two games are Newcastle and Liverpool, and Leeds have got to play Bournemouth and Tottenham.

Edited by Fox92