Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I got lol'd at a few weeks' back by a few posters after saying that he'll turn fortunes around.

Just knew that he would.

Heard that the club had no ideal replacement to replace him with, should things needed changing on the manager front.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

So he was under no pressure are losing 6 of the first 7?

Apparently not based on the fact his job wasn't under any threat lol

Not from anyone that mattered anyway. At the end of the day, the blokes minted if he gets sacked. He's got the cushiest job you could imagine.

After last weeks chats with HPF and someone else I've decided to separate my dislike of the man from the matches and results. So thats a positive haha.

Really hope there are plans to go separate ways over the winter break. Tops probably working on a lifetime contract though lol

• Haha 1

Great performance today, probably some of the best football we've played for a while and we were very comfortable and controlled the game and created a fair few chances. Credit to Brendan for our up turn in form but he still has some way to go in changing many fans opinions and he doesn't help himself when he keeps saying things like "it was a difficult summer" and saying nobody knows what goes on at the club etc. Let it go and focus on the players you have (very talented players in most positions) and stop complaining about other shit. Still feel he's in brand protection mode and as long as that continues he will be difficult to like. I've always said however, so long as we're winning and doing OK, I don't really need to like him. 

• Like 3

I didnt think he would turn it around so fair play, you have to give him credit for stopping the slump and getting some confidence back in the squad. We're not out of the woods yet but you would think we should be ok now. We sack managers too often in this league so I think the board perhaps deserve some credit for holding their nerve.

As others have said there is no shame in acknowledging the change I  fortunes and giving credit where it is due. It's not flippant or fickle when our form has done a complete 180 over the last 6 or 7 games.

With all that said it is ridiculous we were where we were with this squad and I still don't like Brendan. It will be interesting to see where we get to this season, as we have typically started well and trailed off under him. We know this team is capable of great things on its day so maybe we get hot at the right time and have a much better end to the season. Who knows. Long may the positive results continue.

I do appreciate the last few performances but cannot get past Brendans bizarre attitude at the beginning of the season out of my mind. 

I do know that he can coach a team but also feel there is a spoiled brat in there who will toss the toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his way.

As long as we stay up I'm happy but will be happy when he leaves. 

Edited by gurru991

I'll get slaughtered by some for it but I don't care, but the improvement in our game is quite clearly in the areas that we wanted Knudsen to address. The main credit I'll give to Rodgers is that I don't think the players ever fully gave up on him, it surprised me that they didn't, but they didn't.

I maintain that it's probably come to a bit of a natural conclusion but it feels like some of the toxicity is vanishing, and I didn't think that was recoverable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Great performance today, probably some of the best football we've played for a while and we were very comfortable and controlled the game and created a fair few chances. Credit to Brendan for our up turn in form but he still has some way to go in changing many fans opinions and he doesn't help himself when he keeps saying things like "it was a difficult summer" and saying nobody knows what goes on at the club etc. Let it go and focus on the players you have (very talented players in most positions) and stop complaining about other shit. Still feel he's in brand protection mode and as long as that continues he will be difficult to like. I've always said however, so long as we're winning and doing OK, I don't really need to like him. 

Like .many others you read way & far too much into manager's statements.

Then put your own twist on them...

I still say he's never said anything untoward, plus no worse or better falaffle  than any other manager.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That’s being disingenuous. Knudsen has definitely made a big impact, as has Faes, but Rodgers has made lots of tactical tweaks that probably go unnoticed by many:

- The team plays narrower and more compact, especially away from home. Barnes is closer to the action and the full backs push on less. There’s a bit less width recently, but it means all our players are a bit closer together to offer better overal defensive protection. 

- Have gone back to being more of a counter attacking team. We had multiple 2v1 and even 4v3 breaks against Everton and Wolves. We are committing more players forward on the break and try to break more often. 

- Are transitioning the ball much faster, and now both KDH and Maddison are drifting between the lines. There’s a lot less sideways football of recent. We’re giving up control to make more higher quality chances. We had 21 shots tonight!

Now a lot of this stuff you might argue is what fans have asking for a while now, but my point is we’ve improved our defence in an almost unbelievable manner, whilst retaining our goal threat. Thats’s despite having a net spend of -50m, our no. 1 goalkeeper leave, our best defender injured, one of the best CDMs in the league missing, one of the best full backs in the league out and our talisman out of form. That is impressive no matter what fans think of Rodgers. 

Brendan is massively fortunate to still be in a job after those 6 consecutive defeats / 7 defeats in 8, but since then he’s rectified a lot of problems. Managers like Lage, Gerrard and Tuchel couldn’t fix problems in their side despite all 3 having huge summer outlays. The That says to me that objectively he’s a good coach.

I thought we were down after the Spurs game, but the club has turned it round big time. 

Funny how in 14/15 it all started after a big ding dong goalscoring loss at White Hart lane too, plus a decent 0-0 vs Hull(similar to our game vs Palace) that slowly built confidence before a more convincing strong run of alot of wins(funny enough the only loss wedged in between in that run was a 1-3 loss to champions Chelsea where we fought hard and showed promise in defeat, very similar to City this time). Spooky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I got lol'd at a few weeks' back by a few posters after saying that he'll turn fortunes around.

Just knew that he would.

Heard that the club had no ideal replacement to replace him with, should things needed changing on the manager front.

I gave my ratings on here as usual (whenever I get to watch a game) but, when it came to Rodgers I changed my usual vote and left it on "Stay" - yet only because we're in a stable situation. 

However, for me, Rodgers isn't responsible for this stabilisation - it's down to Wout Faes and Lars Knudsen. 

They're largely responsible for the turnaround. Tielemans has been repositioned - in a kind of fluid interchange with Castagne, and I suspect he's had the time and room to make two 'worldies' and make more impact on defending, but who's figured that out? Knudsen or Rodgers? My money's on the former.  

Edited by gerblod
Tweaking

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Like .many others you read way & far too much into manager's statements.

Then put your own twist on them...

I still say he's never said anything untoward, plus no worse or better falaffle  than any other manager.

So having a do at the fans after Brighton was OK? Calling the players out publicly at the start of the season was OK? Slating the board was OK? Whatever may have gone on behind closed doors should stay there. Most boards would have sacked the manager for slating them. I'm glad he's turning things around but he's still in brand protection mode and always has been. There is no need after every game to keep trotting out the same lines about a difficult summer etc. Crack on with the talented group of players you have. Most teams would be envious of some of the players we have in our squad. 

6 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Just happy to sew us picking up points and performing better. Rodgers out isn't such a matter of urgency. I win against West Ham would be delightful 

Agreed. I still don't like him but I think most of us have accepted he won't get sacked anytime soon and fortunately our upturn in form has come at the right time just before the wc. I think a draw at WH would be decent as we never do well against them 

Still Rodgers out but not venomously as before and not in the sense it is urgent.

I think he does deserve credit for his part (certainly not all down to him) in the last 7 games and we do look so much better.

Still the comments about transfers and difficult summer so he is still in self preservation mode. I feel he more or less single handedly sabotaged the start of the season with his negative and destructive attitude and following how poor (performance wise) we’d been last season and for some time, he was lucky to get the chance to turn it around.

I personally want to see the following before I could begin to forget that;

1 - The break is not coming at a good time for us being so in form. Coming back after the World Cup, will we pick up where we have left off or reverted back. If we carry on, this will be a positive sign of how he has used the time with the squad.

2 - How he responds to the January window. He is already making noises of 4 additions. No idea how realistic this is but if it’s underwhelming as our recent Januarys have been, can he remain positive and not revert to start of the season Brendan?

If he can handle those things well, it should be reviewed at the end of the season. Just no contract extension for him Top!

Managers often get booted too soon though, we are one of a few examples where we repeatedly give managers more time (not that you’d think it from the media post Claudio) so it is refreshing to see Wolves who binned Lage when he wasn’t doing too badly bottom and bottom of the form table since and us turning it around.

Look most of us wanted him gone after the 6 consecutive defeats, but the club stuck with him and he's proved himself since then to turn our fortunes around. 

Yes he behaved badly in the summer, but let's not have an 'agenda' and support him objectively. He has produced the most consistent results of any manager we've had, albeit he's very streaky, and won us a trophy or two. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Corky said:

Wasn't just the poor coaching but his negative attitude that made the first seven games so horrendous.

Talk the squad up, you've got players over half the league would kill for. Lampard even mentioned that we'd benefited from playing together for years.

Honestly, so much of this could have been avoided.

When asked if I am still ‘out’ last night, I’d say yes because I dread Rodgers self-preservation dramatics during the January window 

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

When people say “I’m still Rodgers out”, do they literally mean sacking him tomorrow? Because sacking him after that performance would be a travesty. 

No but an agreement to leave at the end of the season would be ideal. 

• Like 1

His public attitude during the poor run this season was lamentable. He said stuff about the board that should not be allowed to stand. 

there has clearly been a line drawn in the sand at some point 

we will never know what happened behind closed doors 

is the change in tactical approach down to Knudsen? is it just a different voice for the players ? 

i don’t forgive him for what he said and his approach during august and September - and I still think that he will be gone as soon as an opportunity arises that he wants to take. But for now, we have a way of playing that’s delivering results and performances so there is no rush for the club to take the financial hit of releasing him and having to pay his replacement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1