Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

It is not about Rodgers out or in, it is about our club!  The first 7 games were horrendous and things were looking bad, so naturally fence sitters actually came off the fence and started to join the chorus of Rodgers out.  So there is no need for the "I told you so" brigade to rear their heads above the parapet, we all want the same result and most of us don't care as long as the manager gets on with his job, owns up to mistakes and makes the club his number priority.  Did Rodgers do that in preseason?   Probably the majority of fans didn't think he did!

This season could still go either way, there is a world cup and another transfer window to navigate, so people need to keep their powder dry because there is still a long way to go.  Then at the end of the season we can say who was right or wrong, not now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

His public attitude during the poor run this season was lamentable. He said stuff about the board that should not be allowed to stand. 

there has clearly been a line drawn in the sand at some point 

we will never know what happened behind closed doors 

is the change in tactical approach down to Knudsen? is it just a different voice for the players ? 

i don’t forgive him for what he said and his approach during august and September - and I still think that he will be gone as soon as an opportunity arises that he wants to take. But for now, we have a way of playing that’s delivering results and performances so there is no rush for the club to take the financial hit of releasing him and having to pay his replacement. 

Yes, he should have chosen his words with more care,  but nobody should have the right to act surprised at his outbursts, he is the same always, calm in still weather and defensive when things get rocky.

The bit in bold s the crux for me; nobody (or at least nobody is saying) knows what has actually occurred or been said internally, yet due to these seemingly unforgivable outbursts, the worst is now always assumed.

1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

It is not about Rodgers out or in, it is about our club!  The first 7 games were horrendous and things were looking bad, so naturally fence sitters actually came off the fence and started to join the chorus of Rodgers out.  So there is no need for the "I told you so" brigade to rear their heads above the parapet, we all want the same result and most of us don't care as long as the manager gets on with his job, owns up to mistakes and makes the club his number priority.  Did Rodgers do that in preseason?   Probably the majority of fans didn't think he did!

This season could still go either way, there is a world cup and another transfer window to navigate, so people need to keep their powder dry because there is still a long way to go.  Then at the end of the season we can say who was right or wrong, not now!

Yet the out-or-not-a-fan brigade can shout until they are blue in the face and that’s fine?  lol

Of course we all want the same for the club, but this excusing of past bad behaviour is very indulgent.

I hope he wins every game until the end of the season and leaves nobody anywhere to go, and the club just keep improving 

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we have played some diabolical teams, we have developed a positive attitude overnight, and I suspected anyone new coming in would have achieved as much!!!

This is not a squad of helpless also-rans, this is a squad of excellent players, now fused with a defender and coach who knows what they are doing.

I'm under no illusion we've had a run of games that we should have won at least 4 of them but I'm more impressed by the defensive unity of pretty much the entire team. We've kept 5 clean sheets, we never ever did that except for the early part of Rodgers tenure and it didn't matter who we played.

There's still a long way to go but we are righting a few wrongs that he was nearly entirely to blame on and totally avoidable.

• Like 1

Is it safe to come back on here and keep the faith and support the manager and the players to turn round the club's fortunes without being ridiculed and being exposed to hate?

I know we were doing shite for a while but that's football (I mean do people remember watching our football under Craig Levein? it was worse than Puel's...) - it's weird but there's felt like a real lack of proportionality on this board during our abysmal patch. Whilst I recognise football is emotive and I've been more miserable than your average suicide candidate in regard to our poor run of performances, it has felt like we have become entitled - is it only safe to be happy and positive now until our next loss, then back on the BR chopping block? There's been a lot of valid criticism of the manager but outweighed and overshadowed entirely by the pure vitriol and nonsensical concocted baseless supposition. Hopefully the team have turned a corner but hopefully sections of this fan board have too and we can get a bit of proportionality back in our postings and return to criticism that's constructive and valid.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Specifically, what did he say? I remember him clearly being frustrated at the lack of signings, but I can’t recall him saying anything particularly outrageous.

I’m not going back and digging it out 

but one week he said that he would always respect the owners and what they’d done for him and the club  - and then he made some disrespectful comments after the next defeat.   He really shouldn’t be commenting on the ownership and stewardship of the club - it was a distraction from his poor management of the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

but one week he said that he would always respect the owners and what they’d done for him and the club  - and then he made some disrespectful comments after the next defeat.   He really shouldn’t be commenting on the ownership and stewardship of the club - it was a distraction from his poor management of the team.

So, there was nothing specific he said, instead it was things like ‘we haven’t strengthened like we hoped’ and this was taken as a dig at the manager? Or ‘the fans need to accept that we have been punching above our weight (financially)’ and this too was construed as disrespectful?

• Like 2

Posted in another thread too, but Leicester are 80/1 to finish in the top 6 now this season.

It's not even a long shot but with the way others are playing around us and over half a season to go it's worth a punt if we carry on this form, it's currently only 7 points difference. 

Stranger things have happened

42 minutes ago, Lionator said:

When people say “I’m still Rodgers out”, do they literally mean sacking him tomorrow? Because sacking him after that performance would be a travesty. 

It’s a tough one, I have tried to explain my thoughts about above. Basically, of course no he doesn’t need sacking urgently as things have picked up. However given the run of fixtures, we have picked up the minimum points we should have really (with the points thrown away at Bournemouth and the fact we’d expect to beat Palace at home, you could say we could/should have had more). Of course given how bad we were the first 7 games, we are all rightly delighted but the fact we have 1 point per game now after the run recently just illustrates how bad it was.

I think also if you are not a fickle back and forwards purely based on what happens on the pitch and have opinions based on other facts such as his behaviour, it is not as simple as saying ok then BR back in and a new 10 year contract (Top probably would as well)!!

I want to see he can keep it up after the WC and that he doesn’t turn again if he doesn’t get his own way in the January window. 

At the end of last season I wanted him gone as I didn’t want him around for the supposed rebuild which never happened. It definitely will next summer though but with Congerton gone and Glover in, if the club has taken control back this is less of a concern.

Edited by LCFCJohn

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So he said things about the board that you think ‘should not be allowed to stand’ but you can’t recall what they were? That’s a strong emotional response to something you can’t even remember very well!

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So, there was nothing specific he said, instead it was things like ‘we haven’t strengthened like we hoped’ and this was taken as a dig at the manager? Or ‘the fans need to accept that we have been punching above our weight (financially)’ and this too was construed as disrespectful?

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

So he said things about the board that you think ‘should not be allowed to stand’ but you can’t recall what they were? That’s a strong emotional response to something you can’t even remember very well!

He said something after a loss (Bournemouth I think) which really surprised me given what he’d said post spurs about how much respect he had for the owners.  He needn’t have brought it up at all. After spurs, he said that the owners would do whatever they thought was right and he’d understand. That he would never disrespect them. most here thought that spelt the end. Then we had the forest win ……then the Bournemouth debacle which is where he said something unnecessary (could have been the following presser). 

as for comments about the board/ownership - the coach shouldn’t be saying anything on that subject unless he’s offering praise. otherwise bat any questions away without any semblance of questioning, bad mouthing or disrespect. 

Edited by st albans fox

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm under no illusion we've had a run of games that we should have won at least 4 of them but I'm more impressed by the defensive unity of pretty much the entire team. We've kept 5 clean sheets, we never ever did that except for the early part of Rodgers tenure and it didn't matter who we played.

There's still a long way to go but we are righting a few wrongs that he was nearly entirely to blame on and totally avoidable.

Not even just that, we nearly kept a clean sheet against Man City except for an unstoppable worldie free kick. 

• Like 1

The upturn in form doesn’t mean that it was wrong to want BR gone. The results were crap, the play was turgid, error riddled and negative and the manager’s decision making and leadership were characterised by bizarre choices and a blame everyone else attitude, at times making it clear that this group of players aren’t good enough.

Whilst frustration and disappointment and the limited incomings may have been understandable the squad that BR has at his disposal is comfortably good enough if managed correctly.

Few foresaw such a marked turnaround, particularly defensively. Credit to BR and the set piece coach for that. The fact remains that we have only beaten bottom half teams and put in a creditable performance against the best team in the league.

Confidence from improved results is evident but the players also need continuing belief in them by the manager to get the best from them.

BR isn’t out of the woods regarding his job  as no manager ever is but I’m delighted to see the turnaround in results and performances. 

There’s nothing wrong with wanting him sacked before whilst giving him credit for the present improvement and hoping for it to be sustained. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The upturn in form doesn’t mean that it was wrong to want BR gone.

Actually, simply put, it does. "The results were crap" and now they are not. Be brave, own it, you called it wrong!

But, in fairness, it does really depend on why you wanted him gone. If it was only about results, if you thought he couldn't turn it around, then, yes, your fears and calls have proven to be unfounded. But if there's another reason...

We can all get it wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, and you don't have to die on the hill. I don't like Rodgersball, I think it too risky, but I'm prepared to shelve what I think if we re getting results with it. Further, I doubt very much I'd like him but that matters even less. I'm happy to live in a world with all these apparent contradictions.

Edit: the rest of what was said, I agree with. Rodgers had his moan, maybe infected the squad, but then got on with the job (with only occasional ambiguous comments to be heard) and has got them playing again. That deserves recognition and credit.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 2

We're still by no means out of the woods and therefore he is by no means out of the woods. However, these last few performances have been much better. I have to give credit where credit is due. I really thought there was no way back for him, but if we can continue this decent run of form and pull way from the bottom of the table then I'm sure faith will be restored. 

Yesterday was the most encouraging performance of the season. There were some hairy moments but we were by far the better side. We looked more composed, confident and didn't panic when we were 1-0, which is something that we were doing in games earlier this season. 

5 minutes ago, taupe said:

Actually, simply put, it does. "The results were crap" and now they are not. Be brave, own it, you called it wrong!

But, in fairness, it does really depend on why you wanted him gone. If it was only about results, if you thought he couldn't turn it around, then, yes, your fears and calls have proven to be unfounded. But if there's another reason...

We can all get it wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, and you don't have to die on the hill. I don't like Rodgersball, I think it too risky, but I'm prepared to shelve what I think if we re getting results with it. Further, I doubt very much I'd like him but that matters even less. I'm happy to live in a world with all these apparent contradictions.

Edit: the rest of what was said, I agree with. Rodgers had his moan, maybe infected the squad, but then got on with the job (with only occasional ambiguous comments to be heard) and has got them playing again. That deserves recognition and credit.

I disagree. On the information available it was right to want him gone. It’s too early to say whether it was right or wrong to keep him. If there is a return to earlier form it doesn’t mean it has been right to keep him. Recent results do mean that it is now appropriate  to credit him with the improvement and give him time to see if it will be sustained. Personally, I’ll be taking a view on the rights and wrongs of retaining him towards the end of the season and hopefully, at that point will be happy to say that I was wrong and the owners were right.

• Like 2

You could fill an entire dessert parlour with the humble pie being eaten on here. A few hardy souls keeping up ‘Rodgers out at all costs’ line but that’s just their pride getting in the way. Some are justifying their vitriol with attacks on what he said about the team/club etc. but it’s a weak argument.

Face it guys, you lost your heads and got it wrong while Top and the board got it right. 

Edited by Mr Weller 2
  • Like 4