Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

7 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I disagree. On the information available it was right to want him gone. It’s too early to say whether it was right or wrong to keep him. If there is a return to earlier form it doesn’t mean it has been right to keep him. Recent results do mean that it is now appropriate  to credit him with the improvement and give him time to see if it will be sustained. Personally, I’ll be taking a view on the rights and wrongs of retaining him towards the end of the season and hopefully, at that point will be happy to say that I was wrong and the owners were right.

Agree about judging him at the end of the season, but I would then say, why is it right to want him gone after some bad results,  it not retain after some good results? Seems double standards, something I eventually also agreed with btw, so I am just as culpable 

Basically I did not hold my nerve. lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That’s being disingenuous. Knudsen has definitely made a big impact, as has Faes, but Rodgers has made lots of tactical tweaks that probably go unnoticed by many:

- The team plays narrower and more compact, especially away from home. Barnes is closer to the action and the full backs push on less. There’s a bit less width recently, but it means all our players are a bit closer together to offer better overal defensive protection. 

- Have gone back to being more of a counter attacking team. We had multiple 2v1 and even 4v3 breaks against Everton and Wolves. We are committing more players forward on the break and try to break more often. 

- Are transitioning the ball much faster, and now both KDH and Maddison are drifting between the lines. There’s a lot less sideways football of recent. We’re giving up control to make more higher quality chances. We had 21 shots tonight!

Now a lot of this stuff you might argue is what fans have asking for a while now, but my point is we’ve improved our defence in an almost unbelievable manner, whilst retaining our goal threat. Thats’s despite having a net spend of -50m, our no. 1 goalkeeper leave, our best defender injured, one of the best CDMs in the league missing, one of the best full backs in the league out and our talisman out of form. That is impressive no matter what fans think of Rodgers. 

Brendan is massively fortunate to still be in a job after those 6 consecutive defeats / 7 defeats in 8, but since then he’s rectified a lot of problems. Managers like Lage, Gerrard and Tuchel couldn’t fix problems in their side despite all 3 having huge summer outlays. The That says to me that objectively he’s a good coach.

I thought we were down after the Spurs game, but the club has turned it round big time. 

Perfect analysis of the tactical changes. I am reluctant to give him much credit because these changes have been made and have been successful in the past when form has been ropey. Rodgers knows these things but tends to disregard them when he feels he’s out of the woods and goes back to his control style of play. 

Its actually more frustrating that its been proven time and again he does know how to get a tune out of the squad when needed but his ego and beliefs never let him do it for any extended period of time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

There’s nothing FT loves more than an “ I told you so er” :)

With all do respect, you appear to me to be setting yourself up for it. Why introduce the notion of being "wrong" about your then thinking to then justify it? You got in wrong, I got it wrong - it doesn't matter.

I wanted him gone after the horrific start to the season, horrendous tactics, negative comments in the media and in particular the abject performances and manner of the defeats against Brighton and Spurs where I felt he no longer had the dressing room with him. 

what I have witnessed during this recent run is not only an upturn in results and performances but most importantly a refreshing positivity around the club, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction and the togetherness and spirit which was missing so badly in the early weeks looks to have returned. 

The impact of both Lars Knudsen and Wout Faes cannot be downplayed either, both additions have added a much needed freshness and defensive stability. 

There is still work to be done to ensure we get ourselves out of the relegation battle but huge credit to everyone at the club who has played a part in our recent upturn in form and most importantly let’s hope this continues and our resurgence has some longevity. 

6 minutes ago, Dames said:

Perfect analysis of the tactical changes. I am reluctant to give him much credit because these changes have been made and have been successful in the past when form has been ropey. Rodgers knows these things but tends to disregard them when he feels he’s out of the woods and goes back to his control style of play. 

Its actually more frustrating that its been proven time and again he does know how to get a tune out of the squad when needed but his ego and beliefs never let him do it for any extended period of time. 

Its pretty simple really, he has been listening to his players and responding. Every manager should do that. Pig- headedness always gets you the sack in the end 

• Like 1

It is FAR too early for the 'I told you so' brigade. I am as pleased as anyone with our upturn in form and the manager has given himself more time as a result. However, we are two points above the relegation with more than a third of the season with what is a top half side! Unbelievable really. 

• Like 2

We were so bad and it was massively down to the manager. It took me longer than most to admit it. We now look in far better shape and he deserves credit for that. As do the board for not folding to fan pressure. Let's hope we continue performing to our potential because this is still a very good side. A few shrewd signings, a couple of contract miracles and ship out the deadwood and the optimism will be sky high again.

• Like 1

Well it’s hardly surprising to see that actually, most people were always Rodgers in all along! (Ignoring the polls where a huge majority said they weren’t) :crylaugh:

We’ve won a few games, fantastic. He still bottled top 4 twice, insulted the fans, insulted the owners, blamed everyone else but himself and has dragged a squad that was competing for Europe into lower/mid table mediocrity. Oh and bottled Europe as well actually in that time.

My stance has been the same for well over a year. A few wins won’t change that. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, taupe said:

Actually, simply put, it does. "The results were crap" and now they are not. Be brave, own it, you called it wrong!

But, in fairness, it does really depend on why you wanted him gone. If it was only about results, if you thought he couldn't turn it around, then, yes, your fears and calls have proven to be unfounded. But if there's another reason...

We can all get it wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, and you don't have to die on the hill. I don't like Rodgersball, I think it too risky, but I'm prepared to shelve what I think if we re getting results with it. Further, I doubt very much I'd like him but that matters even less. I'm happy to live in a world with all these apparent contradictions.

Edit: the rest of what was said, I agree with. Rodgers had his moan, maybe infected the squad, but then got on with the job (with only occasional ambiguous comments to be heard) and has got them playing again. That deserves recognition and credit.

Disagree with the first bit. The poster you replied to spoke in the past tense. At that point he absolutely could have had no complaints about being sacked. Not many people

could honestly say they expected him to turn it around or at least to the extent in the last 7 games.

Second part agreed, other than it may be too soon to say unfounded. Let’s take it as it comes. I agree that if it was purely about results then it’s easier to flip flop quickly between whereas if you have deeper issues with him and how he has conducted himself it will take much more than a run of 7 games which have been favourable on paper.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree about judging him at the end of the season, but I would then say, why is it right to want him gone after some bad results,  it not retain after some good results? Seems double standards, something I eventually also agreed with btw, so I am just as culpable 

Basically I did not hold my nerve. lol

It wasn’t just some bad results. It was a number of horrendous results with a lack of confidence, leadership and willingness to take responsibility. The direction of travel was firmly towards relegation. Recent form and results have been good. So of course it’s right to see if that continues. I’m hoping that BR now has belief in this squad and builds on recent form. Earlier BR was too wrapped up in the lack of signings when he should have been concentrating on achieving the best with what we have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

Well it’s hardly surprising to see that actually, most people were always Rodgers in all along! (Ignoring the polls where a huge majority said they weren’t) :crylaugh:

We’ve won a few games, fantastic. He still bottled top 4 twice, insulted the fans, insulted the owners, blamed everyone else but himself and has dragged a squad that was competing for Europe into lower/mid table mediocrity. Oh and bottled Europe as well actually in that time.

My stance has been the same for well over a year. A few wins won’t change that. 

Wow.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to go out on a limb a little here and ponder aloud as to whether Rodgers has shifted his thinking tactically.

Man City was a one-off perhaps but it does perhaps suggest a change in attitude. Perhaps Rodgers has decided his football ideal is next season's project (or a somewhere else project?) Are we now aiming to be defensively tight before 'death by football'?

With Everton, l felt we allowed them midfield possession and set out to be organised in defense. Maybe that was an away tactic, or a confidence building one? 

I wonder if Rodgers has decided to cut his cloth, go back to basics and have us gain confidence by being hard to beat. I personally felt that players had become afraid to play the Rodgers' high press game because 'errors' were costing us. He may have adopted a different approach now to stop the errors - by not putting players in a situation where it becomes so critical to not make them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, taupe said:

With all do respect, you appear to me to be setting yourself up for it. Why introduce the notion of being "wrong" about your then thinking to then justify it? You got in wrong, I got it wrong - it doesn't matter.

I think we can see if “we” got it “wrong” later in the season. Hopefully results justify the decision to retain BR. All I’m saying is that a decision to get rid was objectively sustainable on the information then available - results, performances, decision making, taking responsibility. I don’t see it in the same black and white terms as some, nor do I see a need to beat myself with a stick for wanting him gone in the prevailing circumstances. 

The team was in dire straits and a few wins have put us mid table .

this relegation battle though will go to the wire… we are not out of it by any means.. LCFC have history under BR of going a succession of games without winning..

that happens again this season, we are firmly in the…….

I was a slowly becoming a Brendan out convert which then turned into a staunch hater and an avid get rid of him fan

But I have seen enough in the last 4 games to admit he's done what I thought would be an impossible turnaround.

Pretty rare for a manager to come from the position he, along with the team, were in with the same squad of players which makes me happy to eat a massive slice of humble pie and give credit where it's due.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

At that point he absolutely could have had no complaints about being sacked. Not many people

could honestly say they expected him to turn it around or at least to the extent in the last 7 games.

I agree entirely. I was one of those that wanted him gone. I make no bones about that. In fact, I was quite vocal about it. I didn't think he could turn it around because I thought he would not change his approach.

However, we have improved (I'd call that 'turning it around') we are getting results and we have stopped shipping goals. I don't know what Rodgers has done to make that happen, exactly what (if anything) he has changed but I'll happily acknowledge that I was wrong and, more importantly, give Rodgers credit for whatever he has done.

Of course, who can say what will happen over the season but as we sit here now, the improvement in performance and results is obvious. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

There’s nothing FT loves more than an “ I told you so er” :)

How about a ‘wasn’t me’ ‘I didn’t say it’ ‘nor me’ ‘must’ve been someone else’ er?

33 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It is FAR too early for the 'I told you so' brigade. I am as pleased as anyone with our upturn in form and the manager has given himself more time as a result. However, we are two points above the relegation with more than a third of the season with what is a top half side! Unbelievable really. 

But why do I still get the impression you’re not quite ‘as pleased as anyone’?

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

No idea. That's on you, not me. I've given the manager credit for our improvement over the past few games. I just think the 'I told you so' sentiment is pathetic given where we are in the table. I have turned the heat down on the manager because I am seeing a clear improvement,but we shouldn't be doing a lap of honour when we are two points above the drop zone with the quality of players that we have at our disposable. 

Just admit you called it wrong. No-one’s perfect.

• Like 1