Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Its pretty simple really, he has been listening to his players and responding. Every manager should do that. Pig- headedness always gets you the sack in the end 

But my point is we’ve been here before in almost identical circumstances with changes to the style and he always without fail reverts back to the sideways ‘control’ style he loves. 

Interesting grammatical error in the post match interview, probably just a slip. He said on the difficulties in the summer, that those not inside the club not knowing"what the problems was". Problems plural, was singular. Maybe simply his desire to make it/them sound past tense but some form of subconscious mid stream adjustment. I wonder what was on his mind at that moment?

Edited by taupe

42 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Generally would like to see the quote. 

I feel Rodgers often gets overly scrutinised with some of his words. I've been quite critical of him when I feel it's required, but even when it's just normal quotes in an interview or conference his words will get twisted. 

He could say the sky is blue and several won't like it just because it's Rodgers saying it. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/leicester-city/12739572/brendan-rodgers-james-maddisons-england-inclusion-is-not-a-debate

Approx 1 minute 25 seconds in. It’s pretty vague and leads people to assume and my assumption is there’s more gone on than we know about. 

But then again that could be a deliberate ploy. 

2 hours ago, Dames said:

Perfect analysis of the tactical changes. I am reluctant to give him much credit because these changes have been made and have been successful in the past when form has been ropey. Rodgers knows these things but tends to disregard them when he feels he’s out of the woods and goes back to his control style of play. 

Its actually more frustrating that its been proven time and again he does know how to get a tune out of the squad when needed but his ego and beliefs never let him do it for any extended period of time. 

This is the aspect of his football philosophy that fans most take issue with. 

Between 2008-2014, possession / controlled football had been proven to be super effective. Spain tiki-taka’d their way to multiple international titles, Barcelona were top dogs, etc. Rodgers himself had great results at Swansea with a possession based style. 

The world’s changed since then with high pressing football becoming the norm. Rodgers himself changed to that style himself at Liverpool and with us, but you can still see that controlling the game is a core belief of his. 

I hope he changes his opinion on that philosophy somewhat. Man City are the most controlling team in world football but still haven’t won the Champions League, whereas Real Madrid who play more of a mixed style have more success at that level. For mid table teams having the ability to counter seems much more important than controlling the game, especially as almost all teams press these days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

You could fill an entire dessert parlour with the humble pie being eaten on here. A few hardy souls keeping up ‘Rodgers out at all costs’ line but that’s just their pride getting in the way. Some are justifying their vitriol with attacks on what he said about the team/club etc. but it’s a weak argument.

Face it guys, you lost your heads and got it wrong while Top and the board got it right. 

No vitriol from me - not that kind of person.  He’s made his bed and eventually he will be forced to lie in it. 

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Assume you heard something outside the MSM?

I don’t know if the goalposts have moved over the past few weeks. Knowing what I do about the mindset of se Asian businessmen, I’d be surprised in the longer term if Brendan hangs on - but the owners have shown that they won’t be hurried.  

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

So having a do at the fans after Brighton was OK? Calling the players out publicly at the start of the season was OK? Slating the board was OK? Whatever may have gone on behind closed doors should stay there. Most boards would have sacked the manager for slating them. I'm glad he's turning things around but he's still in brand protection mode and always has been. There is no need after every game to keep trotting out the same lines about a difficult summer etc. Crack on with the talented group of players you have. Most teams would be envious of some of the players we have in our squad. 

Yes ..all managers have the right to,put things on the table,or just use statements for their own..points of motivation or yes ..point scoring...

Your type of comments show you believe he has to be a perfect gentlemen...and not say boo to anyone..

I mean FFS,where in football don't managers use the various situations,

to slay their players,then hug them.

The club didn't support him over summer due to financial chains,why shouldn't he use it...

Again sometimes you scold players...

He defended supported them upto February 2022...

In this sense or sin ,it's the fans making

talkshit over nothing...

My complaint this season,he looked like he couldn't motivate or rebuild the good squad,he was left with...

He's repeated on several occasions over his tenure, no matter the situation on football relevant issues,it's "my" responsibility...

I watch every interview & statements,

I don't see him being arrogant ( over the top) nor abusing his normal station.

The cynical criticism from fans in his direction has been schoolyard immaturity, gone well over the top...

AND like any football  manager they are adverse to coming out with BS & twaddle, though alot less than so many

righteous fans...

I sat on the fence for 16 months,wasn't happy since January,but he had mitigating circumstances.

Though this summer no player investment ( not his fault or within his spec)..I believed this squad had decent

Potential..We came out like a damp squid..poor performances)and he was failing,thats why I wanted change...

The club was still backing him

(rightly)...and at present hes turning it around and performance levels gone back to better levels...

We won't be chasing top 6, but could well compete at that top 8 level.

If they perform & entertain I won't complain too much...What many fans have to realise,our power of financial clout has slipped down the scales,the money isn't there ( though present squad quality has actually improved)

Could Rodgers create ( for us) a small miracle...and compete still for  that extra sliver & chase down & hold top 6.

But like I said,I want to see the performances & first feel a certain level of pride for our team...If there Rodgers can deliver,I am more than happy to retract my misgivings...The shoulds & musts don't exsist in my sphere of thought...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Between 2008-2014, possession / controlled football had been proven to be super effective. Spain tiki-taka’d their way to multiple international titles, Barcelona were top dogs, etc. Rodgers himself had great results at Swansea with a possession based style. 

The world’s changed since then with high pressing football becoming the norm. Rodgers himself changed to that style himself at Liverpool and with us, but you can still see that controlling the game is a core belief of his. 

I hope he changes his opinion on that philosophy somewhat. Man City are the most controlling team in world football but still haven’t won the Champions League, whereas Real Madrid who play more of a mixed style have more success at that level. For mid table teams having the ability to counter seems much more important than controlling the game, especially as almost all teams press these days. 

Professionals are a lot fitter these days too. Even 10 years ago a good chunk of players barely watched their diets and smoked. These days those things are micromanaged, down to how much sauce they have. 

This is why tiki taka has fell off, players are fitter than ever and they don’t tire as quickly. Tiki taka always relied on two things imo, individual brilliance from world class players and opposition that tired after chasing the ball for 70 mins. 

Rodgers has proven in the past when he sets his core philosophy aside he’s actually pretty good at getting the best out of what he’s got and tactically out smarting other managers. Its what makes him frustrating because he actually is capable but he won’t let go of the need to control games and when he slips back into that mindset the football is dull and the results suffer because he’s no longer getting the best out of what he has instead he’s shoehorning them into roles they can’t play very well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Whether it was down to BR, Wout Faes or the incoming set piece coach, I don't know. Maybe a combination of all 3, but for now I am pleased we didn't get rid and more than anything I just want to see LCFC continue with the positive results. 

It's almost certainly a combination of all three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

17 minutes ago, Dames said:

Professionals are a lot fitter these days too. Even 10 years ago a good chunk of players barely watched their diets and smoked. These days those things are micromanaged, down to how much sauce they have. 

This is why tiki taka has fell off, players are fitter than ever and they don’t tire as quickly. Tiki taka always relied on two things imo, individual brilliance from world class players and opposition that tired after chasing the ball for 70 mins. 

Rodgers has proven in the past when he sets his core philosophy aside he’s actually pretty good at getting the best out of what he’s got and tactically out smarting other managers. Its what makes him frustrating because he actually is capable but he won’t let go of the need to control games and when he slips back into that mindset the football is dull and the results suffer because he’s no longer getting the best out of what he has instead he’s shoehorning them into roles they can’t play very well. 

Disagree tiki-taka has fell off, i'd say its at its peak, unfortunately.

Perhaps the teams who got most success out of it have or are moving on and/or evolving but there are a majority of teams playing catching up thinking this is how the game must be played.

Also disagree with Striders opinion of mid table teams wanting to counter more than controlling games. I'd confidently say the majority of teams want to play insipid, controlling, possession, tiki-taka.

I find it strange teams don't do what they're good at, getting the best out of players at their disposal, i'm sure tiki-taka is good for certain teams but not most, why most teams play this way regardless rather than playing to their strengths is beyond me.

There is alot of stigma surrounding certain old school type managers, atleast they offered something different other than this insipid, uninspiring, one size fits all style, they are not the answer and i'm not claiming they are but they're often labelled as dinosaurs, anti-football, e.t.c, well this is exactly my opinion of tiki taka, total, possession football, football is about going forwards, creating chances, excitement, not soaking up possession, going no where with it, creating little, but atleast you've 'controlled the game'.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

He still has previous with our academy, transfers and isolating players. He's not the man for us long term.

But credit where it's due. It currently looks like he'll keep us up. And, for this season, that's enough for me.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Disagree tiki-taka has fell off, i'd say its at its peak, unfortunately.

…..

But don’t you think that the preventing of counters these days is so clinical, whether it be ‘innocent little fouls’ preventing breaks, or generally better defences, mean that counter or other gut busting, high energy tactics are less effective days gone, and therefore keeping the ball, even if under pressure, offers a high chance of just not conceding?

I mean at worst, players like Fabinho or Fernandinho make an art of these disruptive tactics, which stunt the styles of less talented but more aggressive sides.

This is not exciting at large, but it’s possible to see where this preference comes from.

7 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

We have a top half squad and we are still two points above the relegation zone with a few teams below us having a game in hand. The signs look promising and he has given himself time, but we are still in a position that we shouldn't be in given the quality of our squad. 

Unreal isn't it, some really did fully buy into the rhetoric he was pushing.

I mean fair play on the upturn, nobody could deny there has been one - I'd actually go as far as saying this is the best run we've had in probably two years and I'd say yesterday was probably the best, most satisfying away performance at least since crowds have returned. What's key is that we're just harder to break down and we've achieved this without compromising our ability to score goals, though I've always maintained we had one of the best sets of attackers in the league.

If Rodgers can retain this then he will fully turn it around. There's still part of me that thinks he's clocked out a bit - the not coming over to the fans etc... no matter whose fault you deem that to be that's a sign of the end coming. The replacing of his people from the club as well, feel like what's happened in the last few months is they've clawed back some of the power from him, which was absolutely necessary. For me if he can work within that then he can turn it around, but I wouldn't be surprised if the toys did come out the pram again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

I was a slowly becoming a Brendan out convert which then turned into a staunch hater and an avid get rid of him fan

But I have seen enough in the last 4 games to admit he's done what I thought would be an impossible turnaround.

Pretty rare for a manager to come from the position he, along with the team, were in with the same squad of players which makes me happy to eat a massive slice of humble pie and give credit where it's due.

....he stopped sulking!!!

We all saw these series of games as ideal for a new manager to take on to ease him into the league. The teams we have played have been unbelievable poor, why are we so surprised about the points we have recently garnished. 

• Like 1