Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, J. James said:

Again, the assumption which magically morphs into fact that Rodgers WAS sulking!

And personally I'm not surprised so much as delighted.

Most (including me)  gave us no chance a month ago, now Rodgers has walked the walk and proven us wrong and l for one will say fair do's and admit l was premature in my belief that he could not get us winning again.

...he used one sub in a game where he states the weather was a factor in the teams performance!!!

The other team made use of their alloted subs, we made one and that was Rodgers making a point due to the refresh not happening. He constantly brought it up in every interview, once you say it once and make your point then move on. The crowd made the players nervous so they could not perform at their best. Players not showing the right attitude in training being used as a reason to shut people out of the team.

He (Rodgers) now says we are wiping the slate clean and going back to basics, so he has now come out of his funk and is focusing on his job. You don't start talking in this way, unless you are seeking to change your previous demeanour. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....he stopped sulking!!!

We all saw these series of games as ideal for a new manager to take on to ease him into the league. The teams we have played have been unbelievable poor, why are we so surprised about the points we have recently garnished. 

Meanwhile we were unlucky against Man City to lose that one last weekend but for a wonder free kick! Also don't forget Southampton in August were relatively poor opposition who we somehow ended up losing to in the second home game of the season but would we have lost that game if it had been sandwiched between say the Leeds and Wolves games? Current form suggets not! I think we've finally learnt from our early season defensive formation failures, especially with the good recruit that is Faes and of course the new set piece coach! Onwards and upwards now hopefully if this form and promising performances on the pitch continues. I suppose the dynamic will once again change if we don't get anything when facing an ailing West Ham side next up but who knows?!   

15 minutes ago, Guy said:

Meanwhile we were unlucky against Man City to lose that one last weekend but for a wonder free kick! Also don't forget Southampton in August were relatively poor opposition who we somehow ended up losing to in the second home game of the season but would we have lost that game if it had been sandwiched between say the Leeds and Wolves games? Current form suggets not! I think we've finally learnt from our early season defensive formation failures, especially with the good recruit that is Faes and of course the new set piece coach! Onwards and upwards now hopefully if this form and promising performances on the pitch continues. I suppose the dynamic will once again change if we don't get anything when facing an ailing West Ham side next up but who knows?!   

.....Faes has made a big difference, he understands Amartey and has devised a way to play together!!!

Now that he (Rodgers)has finished sulking, the team has changed its approach to games and the side to side passing is now not so prevalent and the ball is being moved forward sooner.

This team has it to be a top 6 team, he wasn't focused on the team and Knudsen has made a big difference throughout the  squad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Yep.

At this point I'm hoping for an uneventful midtable finish and a cup run.

Rodgers gets approached in the off season and chooses to take the job, reputation in tact. 

That's what I hope will happen.

In reality I think he'll stick around and we continue to underachieve for a year or two longer and we make a pig's ear of rebuilding the squad under his stewardship.

Credit where it's due though, we're more solid and we haven't had a ridiculous sub for a while now. More than that, we totally deserved to beat Everton in their back yard. Doesn't matter how poor they might be at the moment, that's never easy to do.

Still a lot of football to play of course, but it appears I was wrong to think that keeping Rodgers was as much as guaranteeing relegation.

The Faes and Knudsen appointments make me think he's not as likely to be given too much of a say - Faes in particular was a Leicester of old type of signing. That isn't to say he had Faes forced upon him but I think a lot of his toys out the pram has stemmed from precisely the lack of power he's had. It's been a retaliation to having it taken away. That's the cynical side of me anyway. In an ideal world he realises that everybody here benefits if he works within the clubs framework, but I'd not be at all surprised to see him turn again.

I do feel for the first time in a long time we're seeing more than the sum of our parts though. I mean we're on our best defensive run since god knows how long and we're doing it with the likes of Ward and Amartey in the side. You'd never have expected it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gazza M said:

In his ideal world maybe kicking himself Potter got the Chelsea job as Rodgers was ahead of him in the pecking order for last couple of years until the dreadful run. He is having to rebuild his reputation,  so with us for the foreseeable. 

Agreed, he is now knuckling down for when the Chelsea job becomes available again in March! Would have been Feb time but you know, World Cup break.

It is great that we have turned it round and because of this there is no chance Rodgers goes unless he walks out which he is not going to do.

However I can say that he is a lucky man still to be in the job in the first place after the horror start we had to the season and his general demeanor in interviews. Nearly every time that will get you the sack.

Credit to Top for sticking to his guns and keeping Rodgers at the helm. I would have got rid at the end of last season. 

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

His reputation hasn't been damaged. Look at the amount of people - opposition fans and media - that constantly talk how strange our fans are for wanting rid etc.

His lowest finish with us is 9th, and in the Premier League his lowest league position is his mid table finish with Swansea. People on here talk as if we've finished 17th for the last couple of seasons.

It was on the verge of being damaged. A few in the media were starting to question why he wasn’t getting on with the job and the herd was on the cusp of moving. 

This is why i’m still skeptical of this ‘turnaround’ its like as soon as his reputation was going to take a hit he magically fixed all of the issues he couldn't over the past 2 years. 

The reality is though as long as we aren’t relegated this season he can play whatever games he wants. Its very unlikely we’ll be extending his contract when it ends, not on current terms anyway. 

• Like 1

Seems a number of semantic arguments at play here; turnaround, wrong. How long a time frame do you want? For me, Rodgers (et al) have turned it around and I was wrong.

If our form declines and we start getting tonked again, then will the turnaround be over and I'll be right? Or do I give it until the end of the year?  Or the end of the season? Or the end of the decade? 

That Herbert Chapman. Crap manager, told yer so. Look at Huddersfield now.

17 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

So to clarify, conceding the most amount of goals after the first 7 games of the season in PL history.

Or dropping 30 points from winning positions in 2022 and us rooted to the bottom of the table after the aforementioned 7 games should all be forgotten?

If he got sacked for the above, he wouldn’t have any complaints.

Any LCFC fan is clearly happy with our recent form but not sure what re-writing the narrative that you’re trying to point out is in relation to?

Of course we forget the first 7 matches and concentrate on the here and now...every club does....everything in life is measured on today not yesterday.....todays news is tomorrow's chip paper and all that. 

We remember of course but we certainly have to take stock of where we are now and appreciate where hard work and sticking together has got us.

Most fans on this forum were being berated for standing by Rodgers....not anymore. Its those that called for him to be gone (me included) that look silly now because if we had have changed managers im not sure we'd have gotten the results we have recently as its been total Brendan ball.

My point was that at the time of people calling Rodgers out it was based mainly on results and performances....now people are trying to say they still want him gone because of what he said and because of the past. That's ridiculous....do you think after Man Utds terrible start to life under Ferguson in 86 the fans still wanted him out after winning things?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tickler28 said:

Of course we forget the first 7 matches and concentrate on the here and now...every club does....everything in life is measured on today not yesterday.....todays news is tomorrow's chip paper and all that. 

We remember of course but we certainly have to take stock of where we are now and appreciate where hard work and sticking together has got us.

Most fans on this forum were being berated for standing by Rodgers....not anymore. Its those that called for him to be gone (me included) that look silly now because if we had have changed managers im not sure we'd have gotten the results we have recently as its been total Brendan ball.

My point was that at the time of people calling Rodgers out it was based mainly on results and performances....now people are trying to say they still want him gone because of what he said and because of the past. That's ridiculous....do you think after Man Utds terrible start to life under Ferguson in 86 the fans still wanted him out after winning things?

Fans were being berated for standing by Rodgers?

I’m sorry but the fans that were warning us of the first 7 game slump (for a sustained period) get much more abuse than the Rodgers in fans on here.

However, I agree we focus on the here and now as per my original message, ANY LCFC fan is clearly happier now than we were pre Forest as an example however, DUE to the unforgivable start….one more winless run and we’ll be back in the thick of it, as a reminder as it stands only 2 points separates us and Southampton in 18th (who may have that new manager bounce).

As for Rodgers’ comments, I’ve not once brought that up so not sure if that’s aimed at others but even Rodgers’ biggest fan could pick apart his comments recently and the beginning of the season, he has DEF changed tact and IF that is aiding the results/performances, long may it continue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Kolo must be miffed that someone has come in and sorted out things he could not sort out (after trying for 18 months) in just 6 weeks…..

Surely he is just mates with Rodgers and he gives him a job.

Toure is probably kit man and has no input whatsoever :brendan:

On 07/11/2022 at 01:40, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Faes has made a big difference, he understands Amartey and has devised a way to play together!!!

Now that he (Rodgers)has finished sulking, the team has changed its approach to games and the side to side passing is now not so prevalent and the ball is being moved forward sooner.

This team has it to be a top 6 team, he wasn't focused on the team and Knudsen has made a big difference throughout the  squad. 

This also coincided with Ndidi being out of the side …

I like to see Rodgers finally seeing the light.

11 hours ago, ronnup said:

Itll be interesting to see how he's backed in January 

I think the situation will be basically the same as the summer - outgoings for incoming (although with so many players with just 6 months left on their contract, there might be wiggle room.)

The question is: Who can be shifted? I can't see Vesty not at least getting a loan. We might be able to get a little cash for Cags and Perez. But I can't see us shifting Amartey, since he is starting every week. I know there are rumours about Tielemans, but we seem to need him, and the possible places we might lose with his absence would probably be worth more than we could get with 6 months left on a contract.

I would be surprised with more than 2 signings in January, unless we are lucky in sales.

Shameless self-promotion: I am hosting a pub quiz at the 1852 Brewery Co. in Wigston on Sunday Nov. 13 at 8pm. C'mon down.

10 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

If an approach came in from another club that wanted Rodgers, would you be happy if he went? Just gauging popularity now vs 5/6 weeks ago.

With my blessing and a crowd funder started for his moving expenses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

If an approach came in from another club that wanted Rodgers, would you be happy if he went? Just gauging popularity now vs 5/6 weeks ago.

Yes, it would be better if he left on slightly better terms than on the back of record breaking defeats. 

• Like 1

Nothing much has really changed, apart from a few wins which bring the feel good factor.

The problems remain! We have managed to expose the weaker teams problems areas, whilst they have not been able to expose or capitalise on ours. Where would we be without Tielemans goals of the month? Also their impact against teams who struggle to score is huge in my opinion in the respective games.

If we put in a similar performance against West Ham as we have done against Everton, then possibly I'll consider that the addition of Faes has hugely helped to solidify the defence, and made us a team that could be considered mid table rather than relegation candidates, which still amazes me! Yet if that's all it is, that is a recruitment success rather than a managerial one, but BR has picked him to play.

Edited by Kilworthfox

25 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

This is what you'd call a win win situation for everyone involved.

I think Rodgers wanted out earlier in the season and probably still does. 

• Like 1