Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Wouldn't say I was one who was celebrating opposition scoring but I was being sarcastic and genuinely wondering why anyone was acting surprised when the opposition scored - I just didn't get it, so i'll bite, I was thoroughly fed up and at my wits end, I was at the point of not be bothered when we lost in hope it'd speed the process up, it clearly didn't.

However it was so bleeding obvious we were masters of our own downfall, bending over and asking for it, playing in a negative, inconducive way.

In recent weeks it's changed we're playing positive, effective, efficient and exciting football, is it any coincidence a) We're reaping rewards b) People are starting to enjoy it abit more and c) More positive comments about it all? (Even from me! :o)

As I said in the post-match thread, it wasn't about the results for me, even when we've been winning throughout the last 2 years it's not been enjoyable, at all. In the last 6 to 12 months results have got poorer, longer periods of losing and more frequent, that simply gave me and many others more mud to flick, more to our argument, but like I say win, draw or lose these last 2 years have been thoroughly unenjoyable.

I appreciate there are times where you're getting results but not performances, other times you're getting performances but not results, when you're only getting one, you always want the other, I was always a results over performances person, thing is, I can deal with us being shit, we've been shit for more of my time as a Leicester fan than not, what I cannot deal with is being bored of watching my team and I have for a sustained amount of time, that's where I was/am (Am = I'll give credit where credits due and praise where its due but we've seen changes before albeit briefly only to resume to his vision, his way).

The high press, CBs on the halfway line and a hundred pass attacking tactics are , thank God , obsolete. That was perfectly illustrated by Brentford mugging Man.City. The MC defense looked vulnerable every time Brentford broke. Has Rodgers finally got it? We shall see in the new year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, midland_red said:

Clough was NOT a pig of a person. He was a man of his time, that's all. A working class lad who never forgot his roots, giving exemplary support to the miners strikes and the Anti Nazi League. He took rubbish like Forest to European glory, and did it all cleanly, fining his own players for bad behaviour on the pitch. When he retired the referees' association thanked him, saying that their members always enjoyed matches featuring a Clough team because they knew they would not have any trouble. And he was man enough to admit his mistakes, the split with Peter Taylor and, worse, his treatment if Fashanu. He was a great man, how I wish he had managed City.

All good points, however he had his fingers in forest's till literally from day 1, inflating transfer fees (costing his club) and skimming off the agreed profit. Not even for big amounts. He ripped off Leicester United for a measly 10k. He ripped off his best (and only) friend Peter Taylor. He ripped off forest fans by stealing cup final tickets to sell to touts. 

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

All good points, however he had his fingers in forest's till literally from day 1, inflating transfer fees (costing his club) and skimming off the agreed profit. Not even for big amounts. He ripped off Leicester United for a measly 10k. He ripped off his best (and only) friend Peter Taylor. He ripped off forest fans by stealing cup final tickets to sell to touts. 

Didn’t mention his alcoholism either. There are a fair stories of being downright rude to people but he got away with it cos his hubris at Forest. It really went badly for the bloke in the latter years sadly 

Edited by CosbehFox

4 hours ago, midland_red said:

Clough was NOT a pig of a person. He was a man of his time, that's all. A working class lad who never forgot his roots, giving exemplary support to the miners strikes and the Anti Nazi League. He took rubbish like Forest to European glory, and did it all cleanly, fining his own players for bad behaviour on the pitch. When he retired the referees' association thanked him, saying that their members always enjoyed matches featuring a Clough team because they knew they would not have any trouble. And he was man enough to admit his mistakes, the split with Peter Taylor and, worse, his treatment if Fashanu. He was a great man, how I wish he had managed City.

You say this, but my uncle went to a dinner at Filbert Street around 21/22 years ago and Brian Clough was there after dinner speaker and he said that it was horrendous. He turned up drunk and he was very abusive to people there and was making several racist and homophobic comments. 

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

You say this, but my uncle went to a dinner at Filbert Street around 21/22 years ago and Brian Clough was there after dinner speaker and he said that it was horrendous. He turned up drunk and he was very abusive to people there and was making several racist and homophobic comments. 

Sounds like an extended family get together back in the late 70's & 80's, there was always the racist drunk uncle/great uncle getting louder as the evening went on.  I think Clough was a product of his time.

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I knew someone very high up at Forest in the Clough days - there is a lot of mythology about Clough. His view echoed that of your uncle - he clearly had huge football attributes but he also had a side (and not just the drinking) that can't be excused as being as of its time. He wouldn't have made a dinner party party very enjoyable by all accounts but it would have been memorable.

8 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

You could swap Clough’s name for the Birch and a lot of this post would be true

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The high press, CBs on the halfway line and a hundred pass attacking tactics are , thank God , obsolete. That was perfectly illustrated by Brentford mugging Man.City. The MC defense looked vulnerable every time Brentford broke. Has Rodgers finally got it? We shall see in the new year.

One game is hardly a pattern is it? Man City we’re quite poor, perhaps due to World Cup primadonnas worried about injury, and Brentford capitalised.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

One game is hardly a pattern is it? Man City we’re quite poor, perhaps due to World Cup primadonnas worried about injury, and Brentford capitalised.

They have an extremely powerful squad but against an organised defense and quick breaking forwards their tactics make them vulnerable.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not disputing any of that, but one game is not a pattern 

True, but we were a crossbar away from a draw ourselves and no doubt it is the best tactic to undermine Guardiola's game plan. Of course the quality of his players still makes them favourites in most matches. Our current run is based on our new found defensive organisation and having plenty of attacking threat we appear to have found the tactics to make us once again competitive. My only fear is Rodgers trying to return to our failed methods of earlier in the season , but I don't think he will.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
9 hours ago, midland_red said:

:appl:

9 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Talking to a Liverpool fan with a distant interest in us - he comes with me to the occasional game -  and he was repeating the now widespread view that we were wrong to criticise Brendan, wrong to call for him to be sacked, he had “turned it around.” Very difficult to counter someone who insists the argument is a binary one - BR in/BR out. Of course I’m glad that it has been “turned around” but I think the failings that the team displayed over 15 months (and which Brendan seemed slow to recognise and powerless to fix) are inexcusable for someone who has claims to be an elite coach. What he has done Is what we were calling for him to do all along - fix the defence, stop us conceding at the worst possible times, stop us conceding from set pieces. The fact that one new defender and one new coach have made such a huge difference shows how basic the initial problems were. 

This is not, as he claimed, a squad that would do well to avoid relegation, whose season goal was 40 points, it is as we have always said, at worst  a mid table squad and a manager who got this squad relegated would be a very poor manager indeed. 

You say that one player and one coaches fixed it and that means it was always an easy fix. But also worth remembering that Klopp couldn’t fix liverpools defence so had to spend £75m on van dijk and that seemed to solve their problems and not klopps coaching. And then that season van dijk was injured they went to sh1t again. 

I think it can be as simple as one player coming in to lead the line, inspiring others and leading by example. I don’t think it’s coincidence that everyone else has improved since Faes has come in, I really believe he’s given everyone and lift and showed them the commitment they need to be showing as well. Amartey and Ward have become completely different players as a result. Rodgers definitely should have have been able to fix the problems earlier than he has, but maybe we really did lack the type of player that we needed. 

Edited by Dusty
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Daggers said:

Are there as many people now claiming they always supported Rodgers as those who say they saw the Pistols play Manchester in 1976?

Odd folks.

I very vocally wanted him out earlier in the season, and I still maintain he deserved to go given our start to the season.

Since then, he has absolutely turned things around, and I now think he deserves to stay.

Are people not allowed to change their minds?

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

I very vocally wanted him out earlier in the season, and I still maintain he deserved to go given our start to the season.

Since then, he has absolutely turned things around, and I now think he deserves to stay.

Are people not allowed to change their minds?

Read my post again.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:33, filbertway said:

A lot of people changed their minds on him purely because of the run of losses. Those people will flip flop back because they're ultimately fickle and their opinion changes with the wind.

I think anyone that wanted him out last season will still want him out, as for them, the issues run much deeper than a small sample of results. That's certainly the case for me. He has far too many flaws to be a manager imo.

Hopefully he can use his time here to learn and take on board that maybe there are people that are better than him in certain areas. He's clearly kept the players on board and he's clearly good at getting his ideas across as the players will rigidly stick to them.

He's been far too rigid in his approach up to now and demanded far too much control when he has demonstrated that he really doesn't use that control very well. It's certainly been to our detriment, responsibility also falls on Rudkin and Whelan in that regard. You don't blame the toddler for burning down the house when you let them play with a box of matches.

People can change in the short term, but eventually they more often than not revert back to their core self and beliefs. We've seen Rodgers go into safety mode before and then switch back. So I wouldn't be surprised to see us look like different team again after the break.

Nailed it, Evans will be brought back in and we will at some point revert to tip tappy football.

• Sad 1