Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Southgate is staying. He is milking it. No better job out there for him. I was actually pretty pleased with his performance this World Cup. 

As long as he kicks this picking his favourites habit. He could well do us proud over next 4 years. 

Rodgers would jump at the job though no doubt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Southgate is staying. He is milking it. No better job out there for him. I was actually pretty pleased with his performance this World Cup. 

As long as he kicks this picking his favourites habit. He could well do us proud over next 4 years. 

I'm not so sure he is.  He's enjoyed 1 month of the last 18, and the next time he misses the fallout won't be as nice.  He cares too much about being liked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheStig said:

With respect. I shall never be able to understand how the public can be satisfied with a manager (Southgate) that has brought you "nothing". Surely England cannot be pleased with reaching semis, and quarters (plus a final)? Aspirations must be much higher than that and it all boils down to it "being good enough"  - or "he is a nice guy" - the manager! The quality players are there so there is no reason whatsoever that England shouldn´t do better. So get rid and get in someone who can drive this group of players forward and stop the "being satisfied with what we have done".

It’s the fact that he has landed in the job at the right time, but in saying that while limited he has brought the team together there isn’t that separation you felt with past England teams. There is a unity. Now I have had time to think about things though we need more if we won’t to win, and like you say finally we have the players and we don’t want to waste it 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

25 minutes ago, Corky said:

The press scrutiny would be too much. He gets very tetchy at a club who are nowhere near the biggest in the country; managing the national team is amplified infinite times.

Sounds entertaining. Are there any other advantages?

There's no chance a PL manager leaves a half decent PL job for England nowadays. Rodgers for a start would be bored senseless by the lack of training ground interaction. 

The England job is for 3rd rate managerial quality ,(though I concede that Southgate is a first class CEO and ambassador) or for  top level veteran been-there-done-it types  (mourhino in say 5 years,)

• Like 4

Thomas Tuchel is the guy. Winning mentality, plays the kind of football the FA want, good record in knock-out competition, knows English football very well and a decent proportion of the team and is currently unemployed.

What Southgate can take credit for is the fact that the England job is a much more attractive one than the one he inherited after the Euro 2016 debacle. He has a very talented squad of young players who are only going to improve and seem to gave the right attitude and mentality. You get the impression that he's probably taken the team as far as his abilities will allow, but not as far as their abilities will allow. 

For that reason, the pool of managers who'll fancy it is a lot deeper than five or six years ago. You can bet that Southgate's replacement will have a very impressive CV.

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Thomas Tuchel is the guy. Winning mentality, plays the kind of football the FA want, good record in knock-out competition, knows English football very well and a decent proportion of the team and is currently unemployed.

Not enough of a yes man for the English FA

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Bilo said:

What Southgate can take credit for is the fact that the England job is a much more attractive one than the one he inherited after the Euro 2016 debacle. He has a very talented squad of young players who are only going to improve and seem to gave the right attitude and mentality. You get the impression that he's probably taken the team as far as his abilities will allow, but not as far as their abilities will allow. 

For that reason, the pool of managers who'll fancy it is a lot deeper than five or six years ago. You can bet that Southgate's replacement will have a very impressive CV.

More chance of Aidy Boothroyd getting it. 

Is the FA averse to foreign coaches?

Isn’t it the FA’s fault, along with the Premier League money drain, that the coaching in this country is comparatively a bit shit anyway?

What does wanting a yes man mean? What precisely do they want to hear yes to?

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Isn’t it the FA’s fault, along with the Premier League money drain, that the coaching in this country is comparatively a bit shit anyway?

They certainly aren’t against it, they’ve been there before with Capello and Sven.  However, personally I feel all too nations should have a manager from their own country - that makes international football what it is.

Also, I could be wrong, but don’t think a manager has won the World Cup who hasn’t been from the nation he is managing.

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

They certainly aren’t against it, they’ve been there before with Capello and Sven.  However, personally I feel all too nations should have a manager from their own country - that makes international football what it is.

Also, I could be wrong, but don’t think a manager has won the World Cup who hasn’t been from the nation he is managing.

In the long run I’d like more investment into coaching in this country then we’d be able to get an English manager based on merit rather than nationality.

On 13/12/2022 at 01:49, STUHILL said:

He may be looking for an extension of his deal to 2026 or he’ll walk 

13 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

There's no chance a PL manager leaves a half decent PL job for England nowadays. Rodgers for a start would be bored senseless by the lack of training ground interaction. 

The England job is for 3rd rate managerial quality ,(though I concede that Southgate is a first class CEO and ambassador) or for  top level veteran been-there-done-it types  (mourhino in say 5 years,)

Rodgers would snap his own arm off for the England job 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Howe won't walkway from Newcastle, not yet anyway. They are very progressive and the future seems very positive for them so he'd be nuts to leave.

You'd not think so if you read the Madders thread :ph34r:

Coming back to this thread feels like coming back from a long trip away. It's been too long! Let the flip-flopping recommence!

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

You'd not think so if you read the Madders thread :ph34r:

Coming back to this thread feels like coming back from a long trip away. It's been too long! Let the flip-flopping recommence!

Can't wait to feel the fire that burns inside 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Picking players that will please the sponsors and ensure maximum commercial income, i.e. players from 'big' clubs.