Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest Col city fan

I think the biggest surprise has been Bertrand. I’ll hold my hands up, I was pretty much ok with signing him. An international LB, with bags of experience etc etc. In my mind I could see him developing young Thomas.

But he’s a crock! I knew he’d had injuries but I didn’t imagine we’d sign him and he’d literally go on to play what? Two/three games for the club, whilst being paid 75k every week he’s here! 
Premiership recruitment teams earn a lot on money. As in, in some cases, quite a few grand a week.

For the club to sign a player seemingly without having done due diligence on his level of fitness and injury risk, is pretty criminal really.

Its as has been said, these were clearly ‘panic buys’. 
One of the reasons I’m so switched off to the club at the moment is because I really don’t think it’s being run very well at all. I think the recruitment under Rodgers has generally been pants. A lot of money has been spent on really average players. There have been some decent ones too, to be fair, but I think both in terms of playing personnel and off the field, we’ve got backwards by a few jumps.

33 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You should by now. It's been clear since the day BR walked through the door at the KP that Nacho just isn't his cup of tea. His presser today, saying that we need a striker with "power and speed" was another veiled little dig at Nacho imo.

He’s our best player about 90% of the times where he’s on the pitch 😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dames said:

I’d accept the feeder club excuse if the club didn’t come out a few summers ago making a song and dance about not selling any key players and looking to kick on only to immediately reverse ferret a year later. Still doesnt scream long term plan. Personally I think we should be sitting somewhere where Ric has said in his post but you just can’t see anything coherent from the club at all. 

You can't keep players who want to leave, Fofana wanted to go, Tielemans wanted to go, Chilwell want to go.  

Players can earn double at the big 6. 

Plans adapt and change, no plan is static it has to adapt to surrounding circumstances. 

You don't have long term plans, you have strategies, with multiple plans underneath.

I think you’re confusing the Transfer forum threads with the confirmed signing threads. There was a lot of worry about Vestergaard until he actually signed and most people said alright we’ll give him a chance. Bertrand i’ll give you as a good chunk of people thought we couldnt do badly out of it on a free (turns out we actually could…). 

Having just had a scan read of both people some pretty happy with it in both 

Pre-signing thread.

Post signing thread 

I still think 70k a week for two players regarded as back up is huge, especially for a club with a turnover such as ours.

I agree with punching above our weight but we were hoping to be the exception to the norm, yes we sold players but we reinvested wisely and kept building and pushing. For a time it really looked like we had everything nailed down and Rodgers and Congerton have messed everything up. 

iIts the norm of you want to compete, we just brought the wrong guys.

Congerton has paided the price, so will Rodgers if things don't improve.

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You can't keep players who want to leave, Fofana wanted to go, Tielemans wanted to go, Chilwell want to go.  

Players can earn double at the big 6. 

Plans adapt and change, no plan is static it has to adapt to surrounding circumstances. 

You don't have long term plans, you have strategies, with multiple plans underneath.

Having just had a scan read of both people some pretty happy with it in both 

Pre-signing thread.

Post signing thread 

iIts the norm of you want to compete, we just brought the wrong guys.

Congerton has paided the price, so will Rodgers if things don't improve.

Man my memory must be on the fritz i’m sure I could remember more people being less than enthused but fair enough. I got that wrong. 

Congerton i’m 100% sure was universally panned across the board. Glad he’s gone as he’s almost ruined us. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think the biggest surprise has been Bertrand. I’ll hold my hands up, I was pretty much ok with signing him. An international LB, with bags of experience etc etc. In my mind I could see him developing young Thomas.

But he’s a crock! I knew he’d had injuries but I didn’t imagine we’d sign him and he’d literally go on to play what? Two/three games for the club, whilst being paid 75k every week he’s here! 
Premiership recruitment teams earn a lot on money. As in, in some cases, quite a few grand a week.

For the club to sign a player seemingly without having done due diligence on his level of fitness and injury risk, is pretty criminal really.

Its as has been said, these were clearly ‘panic buys’. 
One of the reasons I’m so switched off to the club at the moment is because I really don’t think it’s being run very well at all. I think the recruitment under Rodgers has generally been pants. A lot of money has been spent on really average players. There have been some decent ones too, to be fair, but I think both in terms of playing personnel and off the field, we’ve got backwards by a few jumps.

Bertrand wasn't a panic buy. The chatter about him coming was over weeks/month. I agree on paper I also thought senior pro adding experience was a sensible bit of business. But he's rinsed us. And we have only ourselves to blame. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I was quite impressed with our fans walking out on Monday.

I was getting quite fucked off with our stagnant muted fanbase when we should have been protesting earlier in the season but the spontaneous, unannounced walk out was quite impressive and spoke volumes.

I wouldn’t read much into that mate. There was a mass walkout when we were 4-0 up against Forest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In some ways, I feel for him - the squad has clearly stagnated, there are players reaching the end of their contracts, players with their eyes on a move elsewhere, players who just don't seem that interested anymore, and the lack of investment has meant that we haven't been able to bring in any new faces to really freshen things up.

Having said that, given his experience and the sheer amount he is being paid, he should be able to motivate the players he's got and get the most out of the group and too often he doesn't seem capable of doing that. He's fixed a couple of problem areas i.e. the set pieces issue, and fair play, but you put out 11 players who consistently get the basics wrong, and are second to every ball, that's a failure to motivate and get the best out of our existing squad. The players absolutely should shoulder a large portion of the blame for the position we find ourselves in, and unless there is some decent transfer activity in Jan - looking at that upcoming run of games - Rodgers could well be out of job sooner rather than later IMO.

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Worst average shot distance in the league, the 13th highest xG p90, ~ 5 xG in 8 home games. 

Our attacking output has fallen off a cliff. He has to go. He’s had long enough, every time we pick up points after a nice run of fixtures we throw it away instantly. 

He’s had time, backing (for the vast majority of his tenure), faith and a world class training ground yet he produces lower mid table results with a top half squad.

The longer he’s here, the more trouble we’re in.

XG is something that’s been thrown at Rodgers throughout his tenure, yet we are consistently among the top scorers in the league. It’s a ridiculous stat that doesn’t take into consideration individual players, nor style of play. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Vocally our fans are some of the most apathetic in the Premiership, I imagine.

However, leaving early, of which there were an awful lot on Boxing Day, is something that IS noticeable and basically tells the club that the fans are starting to have had enough

...this would be a one of situation,  where people have left their families for a game that it turns out they were not enjoying!!!

Getting home to another game of charades or just to be with family would have seem to be a better use of their time.

At 0-2 down you are expecting a rip roaring match, as we got up a full head of steam,  we barely improved.

It keeps coming back to, just what does Rodgers say to the team, before they take to the pitch.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

On 17/10/2022 at 09:55, tetly said:

He is a fraud! Surly he has ran out of acceptable excuses for why we are rubbish. Top and the board need to wake up. We need to get rid now we have enough quality to stay up. 

It’s amazing how Brendan seems to have morphed back to his demeanour of the first seven games of the season, negative talk and downbeat. What happened to the Brendan pre-Forest 4-0 that was more upbeat, honest and positive and produced a few wins? 

We’re so much a team playing in the image of the manager. We’re fragile mentally. 

• Like 2

Can’t wait for the idiot and his staff to go.

Much like the FA Cup win, the run of form pre-world cup was largely down to a poor standard of opposition and a bit of luck.

It papered over serious cracks (more like canyons/abysses). 

He’s useless, absolutely useless and I can’t wait to see the back of him. 

Gallardo is available and might fancy it. 

Bloke at Lens is doing a cracking job too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

XG is something that’s been thrown at Rodgers throughout his tenure, yet we are consistently among the top scorers in the league. It’s a ridiculous stat that doesn’t take into consideration individual players, nor style of play. 

‘Shots’ as a statistic doesn’t take into account individual players or style of play. Is that a ridiculous measure?

We’re ‘consistently among the top scorers in the league’ because we’ve got great attacking players capable of scoring from low quality chances. If Rodgers is behind this then wow, fair play, what a coach.

It’s not like our xG numbers are contra to what we’ve seen on the pitch too. We created almost nothing against Newcastle.

If you don’t like xG fine, lots of people don’t but there’s a reason all the smartest football clubs in the world do, including physicists, mathematicians, data analysts  employed to model and act upon the data.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

At 0-2 down you are expecting a rip roaring match, as we got up a full head of steam,  we barely improved.

It keeps coming back to, just what does Rodgers say to the team, before they take to the pitch.

Exactly this. 

2 nill and 3 nill down yet we still bring everyone back for corners, persist with 1 striker and try to pass out from the back which we clearly aren't capable of.

All of which is down to the negative management. 

• Like 3

On 27/12/2022 at 14:27, fuchsntf said:

I go along with your sentiments,but not these lacksidasical vocabulary choices,

we don’t play dismal opposition,we don’t even flatter to deceive,nor

lower set standards, this idea other teams are of poor standard,is just utter nonsense…in my nearly 70yrs, all teams in the 4 top tiers,are what they are,and at various periods.

We have ( in all leagues around the world) clubs that will be competing for top places,the good & decent “also rans”, the ones that just hold their own,and those even with the odd quality individual player,can’t find form & struggle through the season…The football stays the same,the twists ,the clubs chasing will change,

performances over 18+ clubs will differ,but year in year out routine stays the same.

Clubs do have more pennies,which across the board,mean the now stabilised richer clubs,( better sponsored) will have top 6-7 places almost guaranteed,with odd poor season,

a couple of competitive also rans,interloping into big time,for parts of the season or 1-3 seasons. We have shown in the long past,that even doomed to relegation,

we could put decent runs together,a real bad squad never exsisted..Our perceptions & memories make more of times gone past..10yrs,20,yrs,60yrs whatever…Too many modern fans live in frustrating expectancy…From a fans side it’s a pastime to enjoy..winning or losing,trying to put logic ,business sense,entitlement…total guff & waste of time

From an Engineer,electrician,lawyer, I am entitled to expect..Sport & performance expectations are not good companions, one goes in hope.

That said a coach,manager needs to get his charges upto some sort of form according to their aims & believed targets. From Rodgers just over this season,his squad has been poorly mis-firing,yesterday was a chance for our backbone-squad to prove Rodgers & Squad are again building something, and again they as team,and individuals are not churning even decent performances over..

Last season,I thought the injuries were more than a good excuse,but not this season….In the professional and Amateure regions of football,the coaches/manager have to deliver…I actually like Rodgers,but he has dropped down on easy expectations too often .

He helped us to continue and achieve some of our best ever hights ,but it’s becoming all round frustrating on presentation…Not the odd game simply not finding a hard consistency when reaching that next wall, excuses,& mitigating circumstances eventually have to stop.

Its  time owners made the descision he Rodgers ISNT the man to bring us onto the next forward surge we need,or even guarantee another top 8-10 finish , playing decent football.  Too long we haven’t been pleasant to watch,

Any fan can & should over long periods,

win,lose,draw feel like he’s being entertained.

This is now where Leicester find themselves,in some “outer limits” phase

Time for a new face..!!

Without doubt one of my favourite posters on this forum. I pretty much agree with all of this. 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

The Bertrand and Vestergaard signings have had a huge effect on the club’s ability to progress and they both  deserve much greater scrutiny. Essentially we have two

players eating up squad places and salary who have been of no use to the manager whatever, during a period when our defending has been a major obstacle to our progress. 

Bertrand wants to be a football agent, is part of Brendan’s sons agency, his best years are clearly behind him. Even before his injury his inability to keep up with PL match pace was all too apparent. Whatever we fans said at the time , our expert scouts and analysts should have been breaking down the door to stop this transfer. No good was ever going to come of it

Vestergaard was signed AFTER the Fofana injury. It is absolutely unforgivable to sign a player who, within weeks, the manager would only play in emergency. Once Fofana was crocked, what was clearly needed was a first team, first choice centre back. 

Both these players had played for many years in the PL and there is absolutely no excuse for the club not knowing what they could offer. (And what they couldn’t) . JV is an international teammate of Kasper ffs . 

When you see such obviously and disastrously bad decisions being taken it makes you wonder about others. Are the outcasts (Nacho, Praet, Mendy, Soyuncu, Perez) really being treated fairly? Why are Barnes, Thomas, KDH and Daka  failing to develop and improve? Why was Kasper sold so late and so cheaply? Why was Calvin Bassey not persuaded to stay? Why-are so many of our young players on loans barely playing ? And those that are, making so little impact? 

:appl:

I do wonder whether or not the club can have that much needed rebuild and reshaping of the squad with Rodgers in charge, maybe a change would be mutually beneficial for both parties.

Edited by Tuna

3 hours ago, TMELcfc said:

And on top of that, we have consistent injuries, are going to try and renew contracts of players who are over the hill or not good enough, and that means ‘no overhaul’ that this squad desperately needed. 

We are in deep trouble, don’t like where this this club is heading 

We are heading towards the championship.

We have had a ride on the back of  a world class Vardy for 8 years. 

That includes managers fans and a good few players.

This can't last forever.

We need a plan b more than ever.

Rodgers is not the man to deliver. 

Sorry Brendan time to go.

Jamie thanks for the great times!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxtonfox said:

It’s amazing how Brendan seems to have morphed back to his demeanour of the first seven games of the season, negative talk and downbeat. What happened to the Brendan pre-Forest 4-0 that was more upbeat, honest and positive and produced a few wins? 

We’re so much a team playing in the image of the manager. We’re fragile mentally. 

Gotten comfortable again because his reputation has been somewhat saved by the latest brainwashing exercise. Can't wait until he ****s off.

• Like 1