Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

54 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

The Bertrand and Vestergaard signings have had a huge effect on the club’s ability to progress and they both  deserve much greater scrutiny. Essentially we have two

players eating up squad places and salary who have been of no use to the manager whatever, during a period when our defending has been a major obstacle to our progress. 

Bertrand wants to be a football agent, is part of Brendan’s sons agency, his best years are clearly behind him. Even before his injury his inability to keep up with PL match pace was all too apparent. Whatever we fans said at the time , our expert scouts and analysts should have been breaking down the door to stop this transfer. No good was ever going to come of it

Vestergaard was signed AFTER the Fofana injury. It is absolutely unforgivable to sign a player who, within weeks, the manager would only play in emergency. Once Fofana was crocked, what was clearly needed was a first team, first choice centre back. 

Both these players had played for many years in the PL and there is absolutely no excuse for the club not knowing what they could offer. (And what they couldn’t) . JV is an international teammate of Kasper ffs . 

When you see such obviously and disastrously bad decisions being taken it makes you wonder about others. Are the outcasts (Nacho, Praet, Mendy, Soyuncu, Perez) really being treated fairly? Why are Barnes, Thomas, KDH and Daka  failing to develop and improve? Why was Kasper sold so late and so cheaply? Why was Calvin Bassey not persuaded to stay? Why-are so many of our young players on loans barely playing ? And those that are, making so little impact? 

A panic buy that the manager deemed a poorer option than Amartey almost immediately. Every inch as ridiculous a signing as the likes of Slimani.

• Like 1

I know a lack of leadership is often cited for our inability to overcome in-match adversity.

In that context it’s worth remembering that our captain, predictably, and our vice captain, again predictably, have barely kicked a ball this season. Two more questionable decisions - one by the manager, the other by the squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

I know a lack of leadership is often cited for our inability to overcome in-match adversity.

In that context it’s worth remembering that our captain, predictably, and our vice captain, again predictably, have barely kicked a ball this season. Two more questionable decisions - one by the manager, the other by the squad. 

I suppose though, looking at the squad who are the other options? 
Vardy, not now guaranteed to start, Tielemans, could be off at any stage, Madison, also injured, Ricardo injured.

Castagne? KDH? Maybe too young? But will be in the future surely.

I think we have a serious lack of leaders. The likes of Kasper and  Morgan have left in the last couple of season and I don’t know if they’ve been replaced by on the pitch leaders. 

I know I’ve said this before but I wish Rodger’s would recruit a throw in coach. We are vulnerable at them when with the ball and when defending throw ins. There was a distinct reluctance to move and want the ball from the throw ins against Newcastle. Thomas was continually forced to chuck the ball backwards to a centre half and Newcastle instantly reacted with a fast press. When it came to their throws we pretty much let them take them uncontested. The level of passivity in this team at the moment is painful. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I know I’ve said this before but I wish Rodger’s would recruit a throw in coach. We are vulnerable at them when with the ball and when defending throw ins. There was a distinct reluctance to move and want the ball from the throw ins against Newcastle. Thomas was continually forced to chuck the ball backwards to a centre half and Newcastle instantly reacted with a fast press. When it came to their throws we pretty much let them take them uncontested. The level of passivity in this team at the moment is painful. 

The highlighted sums up our play in general I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I suppose though, looking at the squad who are the other options? 
Vardy, not now guaranteed to start, Tielemans, could be off at any stage, Madison, also injured, Ricardo injured.

Castagne? KDH? Maybe too young? But will be in the future surely.

I think we have a serious lack of leaders. The likes of Kasper and  Morgan have left in the last couple of season and I don’t know if they’ve been replaced by on the pitch leaders. 

No surprise that we have failed to gain a single point let alone 3 points from losing positions this season. Soft underbelly.

We definitely need a few leaders / nasty buggers / winners adding to the group.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why he disagreed with KDH's assessment that our performance was spineless, it's pretty much a similar description of how unacceptable the performance was, and how Rodgers described it, questioning the players commitment and cancelling their day off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not sure why he disagreed with KDH's assessment that our performance was spineless, it's pretty much a similar description of how unacceptable the performance was, and how Rodgers described it, questioning the players commitment and cancelling their day off.

At a guess I'd say it's likely because he's be admitting the approach is/was spineless, which in truth is what the issue is.

I didn't see anything different from our players that I usually see. A like for like change at half time was laughable.

Rodgers can just use generic words and take a dump on the players without taking any real accountability, he can't accuse the players of being spineless for carrying out his tactics though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is where you hope the senior players hold the same view and look to address the lack of standards themselves.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Only one answer to that, his ego.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Only one answer to that, his ego.

I don't think he disagreed, KDH made clear they got a hammering from BR.

I think BR likes to protect the players externally, as many managers do, so didn't want to call them out publicly in that way. But no doubt he had a similar conclusion to KDH, as shown by them losing their day off. 

• Like 1

In a certain area, Rodgers is floundering and doesn't know what to do. I think that we're in that area and cancelling a day off is his clueless 'stick' approach to resolving it.

Now, tbf, I'm clueless to suggest what's going wrong too but feel it's something to do with motivation, maintaining an energy and desire. I think Rodgers just assumes players are self-functioning and that he has no effect on them.

He may well be a good coach but my guess is that he can easily demoralise. He lets them know when they're not good enough. All's fine when we're clicking, and he can operate in his own comfort zone, applauding, smiling and laughing. I'm sure that's an encouraging environment to train in. When it's not going as he wants though... and that can cover a number of things, spending budgets included... I think he's prone to the sulks and casts a dour shadow, until he either gets over it or the squad lifts itself.

I still want him gone. Not because he's not good at many aspects of his job but because of who he becomes when it's not going well. Did any of you experience what it's like to have to tread carefully around your dad when he was in a foul mood? I reckon Rodgers might well induce the same kind of feelings within the squad; that fear of getting it wrong and having to deal with his surliness.

• Like 1

I agreed when the club identified we needed to move away from the counter attack style as we had become one dimensional, predictable and it had lost a lot of its effectiveness, in 2019 we seemed to find a style that wasn’t too slow, or pedestrian and allowed us to play possession based football but at pace and with purpose. We took a couple of beatings around Christmas from Man City and Liverpool and seemed to lose faith and have now fully reverted to a slow, possession, controlling style that is as one dimensional, predictable and ineffective as when we solely relied on counter attack. 

the job of the manager is too find a style that gets results, you will have off days and bad results but you can’t throw out the baby with the bath water. The style we have now is all about brand Brendan and I feel we have become a vanity project and an opportunity for him to promote his vision of football, hence his insistence and stubbornness that players are being over coached to fit his system and style rather than playing to the collective strengths of the players at his disposal. 

Players like Ndidi, KDH, Barnes, Thomas, Cags, Castagne, Daka have all come in and looked to be really players of quality and you could see in a 2019 playing style would be excellent, however all have stagnated or  regressed and it’s as a consequence of being over coached and there natural talents being stifled by the tactics we employ. 

Imagine Mahrez being coached by Rodgers, all you would hear is 3 touches and him constantly being hauled off for not following orders and losing possession, truth is there is no room for mavericks in this Rodgers team, he wants yes men.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

The style we have now is all about brand Brendan and I feel we have become a vanity project and an opportunity for him to promote his vision of football, hence his insistence and stubbornness that players are being over coached to fit his system and style rather than playing to the collective strengths of the players at his disposal

Yes, that's how I see it too, particularly the bits in bold. He séems to be on some sort of personal crusade to prove that a football game can be won his way. Almost as if he's attempting to redress a perceived wrong or slight shown to him in the past; a desire to prove someone wrong.

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

I don't think he disagreed, KDH made clear they got a hammering from BR.

I think BR likes to protect the players externally, as many managers do, so didn't want to call them out publicly in that way. But no doubt he had a similar conclusion to KDH, as shown by them losing their day off. 

I guess what I meant was his ego wouldn’t have wanted KDH being the one to mention this to the press, I have no doubt he was livid.

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I guess what I meant was his ego wouldn’t have wanted KDH being the one to mention this to the press, I have no doubt he was livid.

KDH will be still be here when Rodgers is either assistant manager at Stockport County or a "pundit" on Sky talking the usual rubbish.

8 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Said it at the time, but was told to "stop moaning" by the blue tinted specs.

• Like 1