Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

why he insists on the slow possession BS I don't know our best weapons are all better when playing at pace we just harm ourselves

I don’t think he does. He often speaks about us not moving the ball quick enough. Why that doesn’t happen enough is more the issue? Whilst giving Newcastle credit for their Boxing Day performance the big question for me was why we weren’t as revved up as they clearly were

3 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I don’t think he does. He often speaks about us not moving the ball quick enough. Why that doesn’t happen enough is more the issue? Whilst giving Newcastle credit for their Boxing Day performance the big question for me was why we weren’t as revved up as they clearly were

he does because it always happens, if he wanted the other version he would change it, he would stop having our only width coming from Barnes and Castagne, we'd stop telling our left back to become an extra CM, we would stop taking goal kicks to players stood closer to our goal line then the keeper taking it etc. Rodgers has been here to long to think this isn't how he's telling them to play

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I think Newcastle were as we were in 15/16 after surviving relegation, they are revved up by their takeover and transfers

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I take your points here, but I would remind people (i'm trying to not make this personal about you) that when we finished 5th twice, the mostly excellent seasons that led to those finishes were conveniently forgotten or talked down because the team were loudly deemed to have 'bottled it' (or ran out of steam, or however else slightly kinder people might have put it).

In other words, people are quite willing to wipe out the good stuff too when it suits their position - and that's far worse than naive.

I see where you're coming from and I suppose there was an element of disappointment in not only missing out on Champions League football, but the way in which it was missed somewhat. 

However, for me, whilst the bare statistics of finishing 5th on paper look good now, with the squad he had available to him at THAT time compared with that of the opposition at that time, 5th place was to be reasonably expected imo and it was mostly down to his management that we didn't claim a Champions League spot.

Now, other teams have invested wisely whilst our squad has diminished in quality due to a combination of poor buys and lack of investment. Not all that can be down to Rodgers albeit he claims to have a big say in it. Nevertheless, even with what Rodgers had at the start of this season, 8th should be entirely reasonable and where we actually are, just imo, is symptomatic of his poor management for a long time now. It's all gone very stale.

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I see where you're coming from and I suppose there was an element of disappointment in not only missing out on Champions League football, but the way in which it was missed somewhat. 

However, for me, whilst the bare statistics of finishing 5th on paper look good now, with the squad he had available to him at THAT time compared with that of the opposition at that time, 5th place was to be reasonably expected imo and it was mostly down to his management that we didn't claim a Champions League spot.

Now, other teams have invested wisely whilst our squad has diminished in quality due to a combination of poor buys and lack of investment. Not all that can be down to Rodgers albeit he claims to have a big say in it. Nevertheless, even with what Rodgers had at the start of this season, 8th should be entirely reasonable and where we actually are, just imo, is symptomatic of his poor management for a long time now. It's all gone very stale.

i don't disagree with a lot of that - however, you've not really seen what I'm saying, which is that people who are positive about a good result or 3 are no more guilty of appearing to ignore what went before. To put it another way, and to try and be as fair as possible about it, those of a more critical nature need very little excuse to find fault at times.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think Newcastle were as we were in 15/16 after surviving relegation, they are revved up by their takeover and transfers

They are revved up playing for a manager they believe in, who’s system makes sense to them, that delivers team talks that inspire them, and they ENJOY playing.

We’ve become so collectively bored by Rodgers that we’ve forgotten these things are possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

They are revved up playing for a manager they believe in, who’s system makes sense to them, that delivers team talks that inspire them, and they ENJOY playing.

We’ve become so collectively bored by Rodgers that we’ve forgotten these things are possible.

So you think Eddie Howe has become some great motivator suddenly? Ok, that is an alternate take I guess….

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

With the Spuds playing like a sack of them, maybe they will resurrect their interest in Rodgers. He's a good fit for them, we'll have to listen to him wax lyrical about Kane, I think the Rodger-ism's would go into overdrive. 

This crossed my mind too.  lol

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Just as it's the same poster's that continue to back him and get excited after a couple of wins against extremely poor sides as if their Messiah has been reborn 🤣

Don't think so. Most people are pretty critical of him when needed and praise him when needed. I'm like that.

The whole "wins against extremely poor sides" is a laugh though. Wonder if Man City fans always think that when they're battering yet another bottom half side.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Don't think so. Most people are pretty critical of him when needed and praise him when needed. I'm like that.

The whole "wins against extremely poor sides" is a laugh though. Wonder if Man City fans always think that when they're battering yet another bottom half side.

Dunno, they didn't yesterday.

Won on possession though and that's the main thing. Control.

:brendan:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Imagine Matt's reaction when the next man is a Rodgers clone :brendan_still:

Well Rodgers is Puel's isn't he.

I have no doubt we'll go for a possession based merchant dinosaur, as i've said in the past it's obviously a brief and instruction from within the club.

There needs to be a change in football before we'll change - we used to buck trends but it seems we've become a sheep, this nonsense style needs to end, in general, it will, eventually, football comes in cycles, the sooner this cycle ends the better.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

I have no doubt we'll go for a possession based merchant dinosaur, as i've said in the past it's obviously a brief and instruction from within the club.

There needs to be a change in football before we'll change - we used to buck trends but it seems we've become a sheep, this nonsense style needs to end, in general, it will, eventually, football comes in cycles, the sooner this cycle ends the better.

Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus etc etc all should drop this nonsense style?

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Out of interest, does possession football need to end because it doesn't work or because you don't like it?

6 minutes ago, Guest said:

Out of interest, does possession football need to end because it doesn't work or because you don't like it?

it only works if you wait till the right time and  then it. There presupposes you have some ideas as to how it may be used.  Rodgers wants to keep the ball but he doesn't know why.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus etc etc all should drop this nonsense style?

If it works for them, do what's best for them, it's effective for them, doesn't make it any less boring but it's obviously effective, for them - with the best players.

For the record I don't believe Man Utd or Real Madrid play like it for the most part.

Arsenal are quite entertaining too - surprising given Arteta is Pep's apprentice.

24 minutes ago, Guest said:

For most teams, the 'lesser' teams, it generally doesn't work and causes nothing but errors and downfalls.

Ultimately teams should be looking to get the best out their players, working to their strengths, I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.

Let me clarify myself because perhaps I put too much emphasis on possession based football per se - I have nothing against exciting, flowing, attacking, forward possession football, when I say direct I think people misinterpret it as long ball, route one - you can be direct without being long ball, route one.

However I have everything against nonsense possession football that gets teams no where other camped infront of their own 18 yeard box, passing aimlessly side to side, back and forth, rarely venturing over the half way line, that is negative, boring and pointless, yet so many teams play this way and so many people lap it up.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The age of tiki taka is over i think. Big teams are moving toward more powerful players and 2 or 3 matchwinners the team are built Around. Players like tielemans, soumare, mendy are not the future for midfield when youve got physically dominant, aggressive players like mcallister, bentancur, partey, zhaka, casemiro, rodri, guimaraes, joelinton playing and teams recruiting more as back up. 

We need to reshape quick or get left behind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

For most teams, the 'lesser' teams, it generally doesn't work and causes nothing but errors and downfalls.

Ultimately teams should be looking to get the best out their players, working to their strengths, I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.

I would definitely agree with the second part but there is a difference between saying it needs a certain calibre and style of player to work well and saying it's nonsense and needs to end

Guest Kopfkino

The question for me over Rodgers is to what extent he’s responsible for the issues with recruitment squad building - not in terms of selecting individual players but what he’s asking for in general terms of what he wants in the squad.

Our squad building in the last couple of years has been a shambles. The profiles of our players are all over the place. We can all see that the lack of a decent RW is an issue but it’s just the fact that we don’t really have, and haven’t had in Rodgers’ time here, players that can reliably interchange. 

E.g we’ve never had a player remotely matching Tielemans profile (we can’t carry another player like him on ability but we can have a similar type). 
Or e.g The obvious transfer that makes little sense on profile is Vestergaard

If, and I don’t know the answer, Rodgers is a part of that problem, he has to go. If not, then I do have faith in him if backed and we sort recruitment out. I know similar happened at Liverpool which suggests he might be part of the problem but it’s also a long-term problem at the club that predates Rodgers.